Why Does ANet Not Find A Way To Perma Ban Hackers? All Their Accounts.

WendyB.1650

• Forum Moderator.6104 changed the title to Why Does ANet Not Find A Way To Perma Ban Hackers? All Their Accounts.

Its kind of an unique game mode and lots of fun. The disappointment towards Anet continues as these hacks should be easily dealt with. They got the reports, often proven by pictures of video. It's a question if its a hack or abusing game mechanics and just being an kitten. It's in the game so you can use that, maybe that's how Anet sees it. 

It's a shame that a company fails like this in their gameplay and moderating. I doubt you will ever get a reaction as this topic pops up again and again and again.

• Like 1

For review sites, it probably depends on the reviewer and how much time they want to spend.  Do they just want to play the game for a few hours and write up their thoughts?  This would mimic what most players do (which is not read forums).

Or they could look at forums and other sites about exploits, hacks, etc, but then the question is, how prevalent are they?  If the person writing the review never saw any during their brief play, it might actually be a bit unfair to say that the game is full of hackers when they never saw one.  They could obviously play a lot, do a lot of research (see where exploits happen, try to go to those spots, etc), but the reviewer may just not care that much about it.

All the above said, I often find game reviews lacking - they can give good information, but the reviewer typically plays the game for <10 hours before writing the review.  Where as if it is a game I like/am into, I will likely spend a lot more time on it, so how a game hold ups to 100 hours of play becomes more relevant - and MMO more fall into this later case - there are certainly other games where the life of the game is 10 hours, so a review on that is somewhat fair.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

There is no hacking going all. Just youtube breaking into all 9 keeps and you can find videos. This is an exploit that ruins the game and the only fix is to probably ban thief from WvW until it is fixed. The video is already known by most server discords so I am sure people just expect it at this point.

They don't even need to ban thief, just change shadowstep abilities to only be usable while on the ground, since most (if not all) exploit ways in are by jumping and shadowstepping.

On 11/2/2023 at 8:09 AM, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

There is no hacking going all. Just youtube breaking into all 9 keeps and you can find videos. This is an exploit that ruins the game and the only fix is to probably ban thief from WvW until it is fixed. The video is already known by most server discords so I am sure people just expect it at this point.

Not just thief, I watched a mesmer go through a solid outer keep wall.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

There is a very rare bug, that can cause some wall segments to simply not exist as far as the client is concerned.  I've had it happen to me with 2 EBG towers.  I could walk through the walls as though they didn't exist.  

In a fully server side authoritative movement system, the walls would still work even if your client wasn't drawing/simulating them.

But gw2 allows the client enough authority of movement that we've had speed hacks and bots teleporting to gathering nodes going on 11 years now.

Allowing the client some authority on movement, is part of what lets gw2 combat feel so fluid, so it's not all bad.

No doubt if walls can sometimes not load due to a bug, then it's also possible to write some software to cause it to happen at will.

The real fix is to make objectives un capturable if a wall or gate hasn't been down recently.  Since it will never be possible to stop the various ways to glitch into objectives.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arya Whitefire.8423 said:

There is a very rare bug, that can cause some wall segments to simply not exist as far as the client is concerned.  I've had it happen to me with 2 EBG towers.  I could walk through the walls as though they didn't exist.  

In a fully server side authoritative movement system, the walls would still work even if your client wasn't drawing/simulating them.

But gw2 allows the client enough authority of movement that we've had speed hacks and bots teleporting to gathering nodes going on 11 years now.

Allowing the client some authority on movement, is part of what lets gw2 combat feel so fluid, so it's not all bad.

No doubt if walls can sometimes not load due to a bug, then it's also possible to write some software to cause it to happen at will.

The real fix is to make objectives un capturable if a wall or gate hasn't been down recently.  Since it will never be possible to stop the various ways to glitch into objectives.

There was a thief, and another player whose profession I can't remember, on the undamaged wall with a cata up. And the keep was not showing as contested.

• 3 months later...

Well, It has been 4 months since I posted this and Again we are against SOS and AGAIN  A Thief was running around this morning just taking our keeps one after another with no Swords popping and 0 walls damaged.  We have reported these names numerous times and Absolutely Zero has been done by ANet to these players.   It is annoying that they are SUPPOSEDLY working on WvW  and are not addressing the longstanding problems that make the game less enjoyable.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:38 PM, Nanoir.2315 said:

Small update, sent a ticket due to last nights tact pulling and a cheating chap running under map.

Response was basically we understand its frustrating, ty for patience while we investigate these. 

Here's to another 4+ years before they can conclude if someone running under maps and porting people + alts pulling tactics are breaking any tos or cheating. 🤡

I think I already share previously if the game detects you under the map / outside from the bounds  it should kick you from the session instantly. 
Client and server side so there is no chance to skip it. 
Easy fix to an everyday problem and if it’s a false positive the worst is you just need to log back in. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

The last 2-3 days has been bad, had to send off a couple of reports myself. Just waiting to see if screen shots actually actually make a difference or is nothing but going through the motions.

The problem is starting to look systemic as if someone has a wild hair somewhere it shouldn't be. There's too many things happening that points in that direction. 

Edited by Widebody.5071
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

My 2 cents on the matter of hackers.

People are concerned; but i highly doubt the majority of the community cares much about it; aslong they can do their PVE meta's, get the daily gold etc, get that new skin. For people that get most enjoyment out of some Serious skillbased WvW and PvP, it is ofcourse a major problem.

The people(not players)that use hacking/exploits most likely dont really like to play the game as it was intended. Their "fun" stems from the satisfaction to annoy others, to proof "they can do something most people cant" or they just want the path of least resistance with no regards for other players; Aslong they get their rewards it doesnt matter much if others suffer "collateral damage." The "reason/motivation" isnt really important. These actions are wrong by default. (its diffrent if Anet Hired some White Hats to test stuff)

But how to fix this... that seems really difficult as hacking is a big problem in general. (it usually starts "innocent" with games and endups with Corporations)

One thing that comes to mind that could resolve it for most part: Create a proper ingame security surveilance system wich tracks Player Behaviour/keyinput/skillinput/position/collision ; when system detects someone uses an "illegal" method other then the registered ones; it preforms a Perma autoban/purge on those  accounts/ip straight away/no questions asked. The act of hacking/exploiting must be severely punished so people wont even try to consider it. This will be an unfavorable idea, but soft gloves likely won't cut it in regards to such Human behaviour(wich is pretty normal... humans like to test how far they can go)

Automation is needed because there is noway a handfull of people can (24 hours a day) check all those players to filter out some "Script Kiddies / Black Hats". Anet has other priorities aswell.

Ofcourse there will always be players that will shout about "unfairness" (you are obstructing how i play my game, i hate wasting time etc etc); wich is Silly because its not our game to begin with. Its Anet's game. we are merely allowed to play it for entertainment purpose; such is the nature of most mmo's.

Idk how big the entire (skillbased) WvW/PvP community is; but band together, form 1 front, and voice your collective wish to fight hacking. perhaps that could help to get things done faster. It worked for the Blind Mount Boxes anyway.

Edited by Noidea Incognito.9607
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, WendyB.1650 said:

Why not ban the IP address or the network? It will make it harder to have multiple accounts and harder to get back into the game

What about those people that have multiple folks that play the game all on the same network, this solution would have all of them not able to play the game because of one.  The easier solution would be to ban by the MAC address, as it would take that system out no matter the network they are on.  Also, it is not just one server, as I have seen where someone was under the map capping one of the ruins (couple weeks ago, and was a BG player trying to cap the ruin).  I could not target them with any of the hot keys setup to do so.  Nor would my camera angle give me a good look at them.  I have watched as Mag players used a skill hack to get into QL on the back side (Mesmer portal design flaw apparently).  So, yes, it is not specific to a single server.

I have given up on reporting these jokers, as obviously ANet is not interested in taking care of the problem, or worse says "working as designed".  Good luck in your quest to get these lame jokers banned.

• Like 2

ANET's policy on cheats, hackers, AFK farm bots etc is just to ignore all reports and let it carry on regardless.. its been this way for a long time now.. that's why you see swathes of AFK farmers on every map, thief hackers in WvW, under surface hacks etc etc.. they simply dont care about the state of the game, only the gem store sales matter.

A certain hack site is having a field day on sales of their hacks these days.

What was a great joke was when they updated the ToS EULA a few weeks back.. not worth the paper it was written on. They should of released that stuff on 1st April for greater effect though.

Edited by Bloodstealer.5978
  • Like 2

Recently, me & a few players started catapulting an enemy tower, we saw 2 thieves on our team skill-glitch-exploited into the tower, right in front of us (they didn't even bother to hide it lol). They laid down portals for the rest of us... but *NONE OF US TOOK THE PORTS* 😄
We didn't even budge... we just continued to catapult the wall instead. The end result was that it took perhaps 15 seconds longer to cap (lol).

Sieging objectives & protecting siege is all part of the challenge & entertainment. Structures are just the props in the gamemode. Doesn't really matter who they belong to, or if you can even cap it, they are just props used as staging places for possible encounters & the entertainment (don't break the props that sets the stage for everyone's entertainment).

[IMO, you can't really cheat to win, because it negates that "winning sensation" (u rob yourself of the "feeling totally awesome" thing). You can perhaps fool a computer into awarding points for a win, but your sensations & feelings can tell true victories from cheated ones.]

Cheating continues to be rampant in online games everywhere. Anti cheat has become the norm to balance it and it really depends on whether anet wants to pursue anti cheat measure to fix this issue. At the end of the day for most people WvW is a casual experience and nothing more so I don't see a big push for this to be fixed.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:27 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

I have had several people suddenly appear next to me, even during 1 vs 1, now it is 2 vs 1 with specials skills.  

I have seen a guy with the Ultimate Dominator of them all, have 40 people attached to him.  Don't know what special skill this is.

On and on.

38 minutes ago, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

Cheating continues to be rampant in online games everywhere. Anti cheat has become the norm to balance it and it really depends on whether anet wants to pursue anti cheat measure to fix this issue. At the end of the day for most people WvW is a casual experience and nothing more so I don't see a big push for this to be fixed.

Ironic given the recent EAC/Apex Legends hack.

• Confused 1