Why does the new Legendary Starter Kit contain 2 repeats from the last kit?

Adzekul.3104

This feels like a puzzling choice.

Also, colour me disappointed with the limited changes compared to the previous set of rewards (specifically, all the "noob traps" remain: T5 mats, obsidian shards and lesser essence of gold, to name a few).

EDIT: To be clear, set 2 contains:

• Quip (same as set 1)
  • Bolt (same as set 1)
  • The Predator
  • The Moot

Edited by Adzekul.3104
  • Like 9
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Arthon.5394 said:

Why does it feel puzzling?

As far as I understand the one in the first season didn't go to the Legacy rewards. It's there to offer the old choices for those that missed it. Any legendary offered will be cumulatively added to the Kit.

but then there are 2 missing, as it was also 4 last time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HawkMeister.4758 said:

Kinda ok with it, as I waited and can now choose both Meterologicus and Bolt. :classic_wink:

Heh. Same thing I did. I never trust community assumptions, so when people were telling me the starter kit would be in the legacy tab, I decided to wait and see what happened and what the new offering would be.

I do understand the frustration of people who chose something other than Bolt/Quip from the first one and now wish they'd known in advance.

• Like 4

It is a bit weird that some repeated but it seems that weapons that can be dual wielded will stay? pistol pistol thief, sword sword guard, etc...so it even makes a bit of sense.

Not changed prices on luck, T5 or few other stuff and not added more things, especially with 5 weeks longer season is pretty bad imo.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

What do you mean by "noob traps" - there is an excess of acclaim....

They're called noob traps because they look like they're valuable when in fact they are the opposite. Ie: the kind of thing a noob would fall for, but not someone who does a little research. Tier 5 bags, really? Essence of luck? Obsidian shards? All are much cheaper to acquire considering the range of items you can get with astral acclaim.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

If it isn't a bug (just two weapons from the old kit have been replaced, not four???) it feels like a very subjective push towards dual pistol or dual sword builds for Thief, Guard (or sword/pistol) combos. I was kind of hoping for Frostfang, but if that kit is staying as it is now, it will be Moot (although re-skinned with something less silly).

• Like 2

What this boils down to for me is, I wish everyone had been given a heads up that the "sets" could have repeats in them.

Some people were thinking the old kit would go to the legacy tab and be available forever, but I was wondering if it would be something that rotated in and out as the vault contents were changed. There are 20 gen 1 weapons (not including Eternity which is a special case), so that would be 5 starter kit sets. It might take a while to get to the one you want or to collect more than one from a set, but that made sense to me.

Now, I'm not sure what to think the plan is going to be.

• Like 10

It seems I made a mistake picking my first legendary to be bolt instead of the staff, since now I'm left with 3 weapons my character can't even use, and the final one I already got last chest. 

Wouldn't it be an idea to just offer all the previously unlocked legendaries to choose from (which would mean the tier 2 kit we got now would have 6 options, the original 4 and now the added 2). This way, you still reward players to buy the legendary kit during playtime, as well as not limit them in a lucky rol on the rng on which weapon will unlock next, or which ones will be available for half a year...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Funky.4861 said:

They're called noob traps because they look like they're valuable when in fact they are the opposite. Ie: the kind of thing a noob would fall for, but not someone who does a little research. Tier 5 bags, really? Essence of luck? Obsidian shards? All are much cheaper to acquire considering the range of items you can get with astral acclaim.

To clarify my statement - why make an issue out of it since there is an over abundance of acclaim. 

• Confused 10

3 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

What do you mean by "noob traps" - there is an excess of acclaim....

Noob traps are items with such a low value that only noobs would buy them.  You can buy 1 gold for 30 acclaim endlessly, the noob traps are the items that are worth significantly less than that like the luck, obsidian shards, t5 craft bags etc.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

To clarify my statement - why make an issue out of it since there is an over abundance of acclaim. 

It's only an issue if you don't play enough for there to be an overabundance of AA and you spend it thinking that you're getting value when it's deceptive. For example: you can buy all the mats in a t5 crafting bag PLUS some extras for the 1gold u get for 30 AA. You can get essences of luck by salvaging gear- if anet had put BL salvage kits instead of essences of luck, that would be a different story. Obsidian shards can be bought with karma from the cleansed temple of balthazar; they can also be mined from the ore node in the PoF and EoD guild halls. But some people might see the purple and think "Ohh, it's a legendary item. It must be worth something or have a special use." Which it does, but AA is probably the worst currency to spend to get them, especially as there is a finite number you can buy from the vault (until it refreshes).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1