weird gathering node names in soto

Tinker.6924

More than once I have seen gathering nodes with really weird names like, "This is a Tree" and "M?thr?l" and at least one node that was all "?" (????)

Is that a bug, like a placeholder name someone forgot to update before code went live? or the result of someone with an odd sense of humor?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I think it's deliberate. These all appear in the Bastion of the Obscure which seems to be used by the Astral Ward for experiments. From the ambient dialogue it seems even members of the Ward don't understand everything that goes on there, and find some of the experiments weird or nonsensical. I think the weird nodes (which never seem to give materials that match the type of node) are the result of some of those experiments, and just another part of showing how weird the whole place is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tinker.6924 said:

More than once I have seen gathering nodes with really weird names like, "This is a Tree" and "M?thr?l" and at least one node that was all "?" (????)

Is that a bug, like a placeholder name someone forgot to update before code went live? or the result of someone with an odd sense of humor?

It’s deliberate. If you notice “This is a Tree” doesn’t return wood. Same with the M?thr?L not giving mithril

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tinker.6924 said:

or the result of someone with an odd sense of humor?

It felt very obvious to me that this was meant as a joke. I, for one, had a good laugh the first time I ran into those. 👍

7 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Wizard Shenanigans.

This. 😁

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I thought this thread would be about the vesperite and somnorite ore nodes in the Nayos map. I was surprised they just yield mithril and orichalcum.What is the point of those names?

The ones in the Bastion of the Obscure are just... obscure.

Well they couldnt add another material tier. And I prefer to not have another area specific currency/material with limited use. 

I think its a nice touch for otherwordly map. Same with Bastion of obscure strange nodes. I actually go and gather just to see what Ill get from those.

10 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I thought this thread would be about the vesperite and somnorite ore nodes in the Nayos map. I was surprised they just yield mithril and orichalcum.What is the point of those names?

The ones in the Bastion of the Obscure are just... obscure.

Well, they could have made new materials for Nayos nodes and it would have made perfect sense, being that this is some sort of other dimension.  But that would have required creating associated uses for these new materials and that would have required work and the resources to perform that work.

• Like 1