Anyone have any strange 'ground targeting' issues lately?

notebene.3190

Sometimes when I cast a spell or ability that has a ground target, rather than it being out where my mouse is, it's just underneath me. I have to really move the mouse around vigorously to get it to 'take' and show where it's supposed to before casting. Sometimes I miss it, and end up casting things on my head, like an 'Ice Spike', which isn't helpful (though some would argue a staff Elementalist isn't exactly helpful, but I disagree and digress).

I don't have anything, that I know of, set to sometimes cast things on myself? I did start using BlishHUD for the first time around the time SotO came out. I don't have any modules installed that would seem to disrupt anything like that?

I can't duplicate it just standing around a town and out of combat. It just seems to happen randomly (though sadly kinda frequently) while in combat. Quite a bit in convergences. Might have something to do with the load and number of people? I haven't paid enough attention to decide if it seems to happen only in the newer areas vs older areas or not.

Just wanted to put a feeler out in case anyone else experienced anything like that, maybe get some suggestions. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I am not seeing this (so far?), though I haven't been doing convergences yet. Still not seeing it in other group-based content.

Are you perhaps getting some kind of interaction between your current selections for Ground Targeting and the Lock/Snap ground targeting options in the Options -> General -> Combat/Movement section? And while in combat you are not as vigilant about use, as you are focusing on the combat/positioning/objectives, at least more than you would in town?

Edited by synk.6907

I do not have "Snap Ground Target to Current Target" selected, and have never used that. My 'Ground Targeting' dropdown is set to 'Normal', and I have "Lock Ground Target at Maximum Skill Range" selected. Those 3 are my normal operating mode.

Edit: I'm going to my Engi into a Dragonstorm at the top of the hour, I'll see if my grenade kit malfunctions like my Elementalist seems to.

Update: Okay, it only happens in combat. What seems to be happening is possibly related to the "Lock Ground Target at Maximum Skill Range". What that is supposed to do is to not let the target happen beyond the maximum range of the ability. As I move my mouse out in combat, zoomed out pretty extreme in 'boss camera mode' that they turn on, it stays at max range. Eventually, I'll move my mouse out 'really' far, and it all breaks down and it casts on my head. 

Bummer. This is relatively new. 😕

Edited by notebene.3190

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Occasionally mine locks into a single position away from me as if it was an action camera. It started happening with SoTo and only a relog helped. Now I have a bind key for action camera and that sorts it out when it happens

So maybe not just me, and maybe some sort of bug they introduced? Was thinking about writing something up, but not really sure how to explain what is happening to me. I'll do some more testing.

2 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

So maybe not just me, and maybe some sort of bug they introduced? Was thinking about writing something up, but not really sure how to explain what is happening to me. I'll do some more testing.

There's some weird post-SoTo bugs. This and my wardrobe/build changing whilst waypoitning in SoTo maps were def the strangest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

If your cursor is over the UI when you use an AoE, it'll target yourself.

This is interesting, thanks! That would make a lot of sense that maybe it started happening when I started using Blish. It could be that my mouse is roaming to the top over some elements like fishing buddy or something, even though they are 'hidden' in combat. At the very least, it's something new to focus on and be aware of when I'm testing. 

Cursor hovering over any UI element causes ground target to focus on self, which makes some event popups really annoying. I had requested them to add an option to disable it a long time ago.

There is a bug I get in WvW every now and then though that permanently locks all my ground target attacks to my character's feet or locks onto an ally even though not using any key or setting to do that and jus' gotta relog to fix. Haven't encountered it for a while though.

No idea what triggers it, my best guess was dying/getting downed while using a ground target ability at same time.

Thanks everyone!

I figured out why it's so bad in SotO and more specifically the new convergences. It's the status pop ups they like to put in the middle of the screen about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Things like "Tower event starting soon" or "Zoja healed someone" or "Black Friday sale at Best Buy!". Those land right where my mouse is trying to move me around or targeting something in the distance, and I end up healing myself.

Bummer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, notebene.3190 said:

Sometimes when I cast a spell or ability that has a ground target, rather than it being out where my mouse is, it's just underneath me. I have to really move the mouse around vigorously to get it to 'take' and show where it's supposed to before casting. Sometimes I miss it, and end up casting things on my head, like an 'Ice Spike', which isn't helpful (though some would argue a staff Elementalist isn't exactly helpful, but I disagree and digress).

I had a similar issue the other week, including ground targetting and movement. I fixed it by deleting the Local.dat.

• Confused 4

35 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Been having some strange bugs lately. Aoe marker locked at max range and camera turning with left mouse button not working. Left mouse button worked fine only couldnt turn camera. Relog fixed it.

It's a bug with the skyscale fireball. When you lose control of the camera while aiming, the action camera stays enabled, but without locking the cursor. You'll likely encounter it at the end of Amnytas when the cutscene happens.

Toggle the action camera on and off to fix it.

• Like 1