Not being able to join groups without entering the discord servers in WvW

eriniy.8607

15 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

Are you on NA servers? 

I play on eu (wvw) and we have a loot of women (some that don't speak much English too) 

Can't say I have seen harassment of women in this game, apart from a couple times (in 10+ years) I believe that is the exception and the community is good at weeding out those weirdos. 

Some of the best(and most popular) pug commanders on my server is women. 

Good luck with WvW 

As someone with negative experiences in that I can tell you it happens. Not necessarily in the voice chat but while or afterwards in PM. When you use discord and your profile options you may experience this even more, because you may have linked your steam, twitch or just some hints to your other social media accounts (common nicknames for example) and gaming is full of people that think they can find their waifus over those channels.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, diomache.9246 said:

I made a completely new discord account for that. And I'm always muted. Best advice I can give you is to do the same. Keep it neutral, boring and not give out hints you might be a woman.

Protip: You can use Discord PTB (beta version) to be in 2 discords at once, with two different voice settings. IE you can be in a personal discord with voice activation and a server discord with push to talk (with the same button muting on the personal discord). 

But also, hint you're a woman? Oh please, we all know human female is meta. I assume everyone is a woman until proven otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, Albadaran.1283 said:

As for Discord: I don't understand why guilds insist that you share your profile with a Guild wars code. Please make it easier so every guild member can participate on your Guild Discord for 100% without having to use that code.

API key will only be asked of you if you want to join a specific server's discord to identify that you are from the same server.  Most guilds will let you in their voice com without api key. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Zepoolpe.9217 said:

Any statement putting in the same sentence "WvW" and "fun" these days is bound to be questionable.

lol, WvW being a sandbox, fun is where we find it. Never discount our games with the games. 😉 Don't make me question your Forum Wars 2 library card. Else why reply? I fear I doubt you didn't find some fun. Just sayin.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

API key will only be asked of you if you want to join a specific server's discord to identify that you are from the same server.  Most guilds will let you in their voice com without api key. 

Maybe its just bad luck but the guilds I joined only let you enter as guest without API key. Can't even participate in their discussions. For WvW I can understand, but why for PvE? Anyway, thanks for answering 🙂

On 11/26/2023 at 8:28 PM, eriniy.8607 said:

I waited in line at WvW and started playing, but none of the existing groups would let me into their parties.Because I didn't join their discord. But there is a trick here.First of all, I do not know the addresses of the discords that I need to join, and they are special discords for guilds anyway. In other words, in order to enter a group to play with other WvW players, I have to leave my own guilds, enter theirs, and join their discords.Of course, I know that I will face a lot of harassment because I am a woman and English is not my native language.Well, I would like to say a few words about your discord servers and guilds.While I was wondering why we kept losing the war, I suddenly had an epiphany today.Because you want us to lose the war. Otherwise, I wouldn't be forced to fill out ten pages of text and use a third party software.Moreover, all this is only required for an hour or two of playing with other players. The game rules do not apply to third-party software and it is quite surprising to ask for this.Well, good luck in your discord servers and losing the war. My 6 full pvp equipped characters and I are not helping you.

1) Most organised guilds and groups will make their discord publicly available, you do not need to join their guild. Many servers also have a server discord used by many guilds.

2) You are not normally expected to speak if you do not wish to, therefore your gender can be completely ambiguous. You only need to be in the voice chat to hear the commander.

3) If you are not in the voice chat, you won't hear the commands to be able to react quickly to what the commander is doing. You will end up off-tag and you will die, which only helps the enemy team to rally. So you are doing more harm than good.

4) It is not your right to join any given squad, the commander makes the effort to lead, how about you make the effort to meet their expectations as a contributing squad member?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

lol, WvW being a sandbox, fun is where we find it. Never discount our games with the games. 😉 Don't make me question your Forum Wars 2 library card. Else why reply? I fear I doubt you didn't find some fun. Just sayin.

In the forum i find some fun, just not in the current state of WvW. 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

1) Most organised guilds and groups will make their discord publicly available, you do not need to join their guild. Many servers also have a server discord used by many guilds.

2) You are not normally expected to speak if you do not wish to, therefore your gender can be completely ambiguous. You only need to be in the voice chat to hear the commander.

3) If you are not in the voice chat, you won't hear the commands to be able to react quickly to what the commander is doing. You will end up off-tag and you will die, which only helps the enemy team to rally. So you are doing more harm than good.

4) It is not your right to join any given squad, the commander makes the effort to lead, how about you make the effort to meet their expectations as a contributing squad member?

The #4.  When someone lets you in their house and sit at their table, be gracious!  Or...Get a Tag and run your show.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 6:51 AM, Albadaran.1283 said:

Maybe its just bad luck but the guilds I joined only let you enter as guest without API key. Can't even participate in their discussions. For WvW I can understand, but why for PvE? Anyway, thanks for answering 🙂

The Discord server for many guilds is their web site.  Seems like they should be able to say, "Join the guild if you want to see everything." just like they would with a browser-based forum or guild web site.  Additionally, basing roles on the API information makes managing roles in Discord SO much easier.  Did you ask if the PvE chat channel was open to non-guild members with API keys applied?  IF you have an API key applied, that may have opened up a lot of chat channels to you. 

As an example, the admins can set it up so that if the API key indicates you are X, Y, and Z, then if they give you the Discord rank of ally, you can see a bunch of stuff that a guest without an API key would not access.  But, without the API key, this all has to be micro-managed for each account.  As often as guests, allies, members, etc. go in and out of Discord servers, especially with linking changing every month, this would be a nightmare to admin.   So the API key makes managing roles on a server automatic.

Most of the information they can pull from you with an API key is never seen by anyone  unless YOU use one of the commands.   No one will ever see the information unless you use commands to post the info.  It's all background info.  Most of the information that is ever seen "in public" is stuff folks could get from in-game anyway. 

Edited by Svanhvit.4387
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Svanhvit.4387 said:

The Discord server for many guild is their web site.  Seems like they should be able to say, "Join the guild if you want to see everything." just like they would with a browser-based forum or guild web site.  Additionally, basing roles on the API information makes managing roles in Discord SO much easier.  Did you ask if the PvE chat channel was open to non-guild members with API keys applied?  IF you have an API key applied, that may have opened up a lot of chat channels to you. 

As an example, the admins can set it up so that if the API key indicates you are X, Y, and Z, then if they give you the Discord rank of ally, you can see a bunch of stuff that a guest without an API key would not use.  But, without the API key, this all has to be micro-managed for each account.  As often as guests, allies, members, etc. go in and out of Discord servers, especially with linking changing every month, this would be a nightmare to admin.   So the API key makes managing roles on a server automatic.

Most of the information they can pull from you with an API key is never seen by anyone  unless YOU use one of the commands.   No one will ever see the information unless you use commands to post the info.  It's all background info.  Most of the information that is ever seen "in public" is stuff folks could get from in-game anyway. 

Thank you for explaining 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, eriniy.8607 said:

I have to leave my own guilds, enter theirs, and join their discords.

Say what? I dno what kinda parties ur trying to join. But if the requirements for joining their discord, is joining their guild, then yeah, that's pointless. But if it's a open public tag, then im pretty sure if the tag is on voice, the discord is open to everyone who wants to join. I dno what server ur on ofc. But this is pretty std for most servers and public tags i think. 

However, if u refuse to join discord. Then the tag is in his or hers full right to not inv u. Just means they are serious about tagging up, and that's a good thing. 

I seriously doubt anyone cares rather ur a woman or not, on discord. Plenty of female gamers out there these days. And like a lot of the Bois and gurls how stated, u dont even need to talk. But being able to hear the commander is basically everything, when it comes to figthing as a group in wvw. 

Think you've just got the wrong end of the stick. Commanders issue instruction - an example "go forward, fake, 180 and face, wait for enemy bomb, double dodge through drop drop wells". The timing of the action, and tightness of the squad is crucial to success. Every death not only weaks the team but may in fact rally the enemy downs. 

For this reason, commanders may run "voice only tag" - in my findings all are welcome, just ask in map chat for the discord address. 

Strategy that doesn't involve much communication are things like "clouds". you pewpew until the enemy runs at you and you run away. It pretty boring and hard to be offensive in that state as an organised group will be very difficult to kill.

If you really want to run with a squad but not use voice, you can just follow them or get yourself a tag and tag up. With success people will follow.

1 hour ago, Damian.8127 said:

Commanders issue instruction - an example "go forward, fake, 180 and face, wait for enemy bomb, double dodge through drop drop wells". The timing of the action, and tightness of the squad is crucial to success.

Pfff.

The good commanders only have the instructional range of a doctor delivering a baby at auctioneer speed.

• Haha 1

I think the original poster fails to understand that without voice a squad is way less effective and if you are stuck in T1 with FoW the only way to beat them is to have a squad the same size as their cloud following the Commanders instructions and sticking tightly together. You can't do that without voice as a good commander will be steering the squad around the enemy wells and instructing his squad when to simultaneously drop their damage on the opponents.

The main issue with a new discord is typing the link from WvW into Discord as I don't think you can cut and paste. If there is a way would love to know it as every relink there is a need to add a couple of new discord servers and a TS server or two.

Finally, a good squad with the right attitude is about the best fun you can have in an MMO. Our Guild does a pyjama party on Sunday morning, mix of boys and girls making really terrible jokes knocking over towers and keeps, fighting enemy zergs and not getting upset when we wipe. I have played Everquest 1 and 2, WoW and FFXIV and only the very best nights there compare with a really good squad here. 

I understand the commanders and that they want to have their ppl. on voice. I also understand the op who feels a bit pushed into a third-person software. I would also add another dimension: The discord servers are in principle a monopoly. The server owners can do whatever they want. They can also ban a certain player just because they can. The only option for a person is to pay money and transfer. The situation is not optimal like this.