Obsidian Armor - Any News?

Zeph.9180

2 hours ago, Zeph.9180 said:

Hi all,

Do we know of any additional information about the obsidian armor? Has Anet spoken about when we will know more about the precursor, the look of it, variants, etc? 

Thanks!

Sadly as far as I know there are no other info about this armor apperance other than the single concept art.

Until I know how it looks for certain on charr, I am just gonna collect all materials but I will keep them in the state where I can always sell them or craft other things with them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Zeph.9180 said:

Do we know of any additional information about the obsidian armor? Has Anet spoken about when we will know more about the precursor, the look of it, variants, etc?

The next "major" update will release the full version of the Obsidian Armor, not a precursor version. The last update will then come with a variant.

This is all the info we have so far, taken from the Blog Posts and dev posts on this forum.

I, too, would appreciate a first glimpse at the actual thing before it gets released, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The next "major" update will release the full version of the Obsidian Armor, not a precursor version. The last update will then come with a variant.

I don't know if it's poor choice of wording here and I'm reading you wrong but when have legendaries *ever* not had a precursor version? even Legendary armor for raids had one.

19 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I, too, would appreciate a first glimpse at the actual thing before it gets released, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I get you've been rather doom and gloom/fed up lately but we haven't even gotten an announcement for release 2 and we likely won't til post christmas. I'd reserve judgement yet, because they might come out with a preview leading into it. It's kinda a big feature after all. I could be wrong, but something tells me they will (or I'm painfully optimistic, idk).

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

I don't know if it's poor choice of wording here and I'm reading you wrong but when have legendaries *ever* not had a precursor version? even Legendary armor for raids had one.

There you go:

Quote: "The Tier 1 armor listed for Update 2 is the legendary armor. The Tier 2 armor coming in Update 3 is a variant unlock. It's similar to how the gen 3 legendary weapon variants work (although it's not a strictly 1:1 comparison)"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

The Astral Arcanum bought from Lyhr will count for that. The armor sets we are collecting for the Astral XYZ achievements are the precursor armors themselves.

I get you've been rather doom and gloom/fed up lately but we haven't even gotten an announcement for release 2 and we likely won't til post christmas. I'd reserve judgement yet, because they might come out with a preview leading into it. It's kinda a big feature after all. I could be wrong, but something tells me they will (or I'm painfully optimistic, idk).

It's on their roadmap when things will be released. Next release is slated to be Obsidian Tier 1, and the last release is Obsidian Tier 2. Tier 1 is a legendary, and Tier 2 is a cosmetic upgrade.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Futa.4375 said:

I wonder how they will be able to release T1 in minor update 2 if we need Inner Nayos map completion, a map that will be fully released in minor update 3.

We'll get the Inner Nayos map completion gift by completing only the parts of the map that are released. This is how past maps worked that were released in parts: if you did map completion before the entire map was released, you got the map completion reward, and could not get it again on that character even if you explored the remainder of the map after it released. Additionally, characters that haven't completed the map by the time it's fully released will likely need to complete the entire map to get the gift. Again, standard behavior for partial releases.

The most recent example I can think of is Bjora Marches: before the western half was released, you could get map completion rewards for doing only the eastern half, and got nothing after finishing the western half on that character. But if you hadn't finished the eastern half by the time the western half was released, you were required to do the full map to get map completion rewards.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Futa.4375 said:

I wonder how they will be able to release T1 in minor update 2 if we need Inner Nayos map completion, a map that will be fully released in minor update 3.

The same way we got map completion in Bjora, Drizzlewood and Gyala before they were fully released. It will count the released portion of the map only for the map completion.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

The recipes as they are now don't seem to include a way to select the armor weight. I can't believe we'll get a piece for every weight per completed crafting, so something will have to change or be added. Or perhaps crafting will create a weight selection box or something similar.

This. Whoever claims that "all the information is there since launch" is ignoring the fact that all we have so far are the recipe and the concept art.

If they really intend to wait until Update 2 to reveal the full info last-minute, that would be quite disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

The recipes as they are now don't seem to include a way to select the armor weight. I can't believe we'll get a piece for every weight per completed crafting, so something will have to change or be added. Or perhaps crafting will create a weight selection box or something similar.

Thats what the precursor will do. Which you by from Lhyr after completing the Astral bearing etc collections

• Like 1

T

59 minutes ago, Hukoseft.4850 said:

Thats what the precursor will do. Which you by from Lhyr after completing the Astral bearing etc collections

Source? Neither Lyhr nor the wiki lists a precursor. Lyhr lists https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Arcanum_of_Astral_Footprints and 5 similar items for the other amor pieces. There is no mention of any precursor I can find anywere, and the recipes that iclude the Arcanum items claim to produce legendary armor pieces.

• Confused 3

48 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

T

Source? Neither Lyhr nor the wiki lists a precursor. Lyhr lists https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Arcanum_of_Astral_Footprints and 5 similar items for the other amor pieces. There is no mention of any precursor I can find anywere, and the recipes that iclude the Arcanum items claim to produce legendary armor pieces.

The wiki  https://imgur.com/teyQvSA

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Hukoseft.4850 said:

I am expecting each of those to have the different precursors, how it looks atm doesn't line up with previous armour sets.

There won't be any precursors per se. Update 2 will deliver the full legendary experience, Update 3 will merely provide a variant (see my previous post).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

Obsidian armor is one of the biggest features of this expansion.  I really hope we get more information about it before it arrives in game.  Players are spending a lot of time farming the materials for it ahead of time, and if it turns out to look nothing like the concept art, that is going to really upset some people.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

Obsidian armor is one of the biggest features of this expansion.  I really hope we get more information about it before it arrives in game.  Players are spending a lot of time farming the materials for it ahead of time, and if it turns out to look nothing like the concept art, that is going to really upset some people.  

Oh yeah I’d be pissed. I already have legendary heavy armor, so the functionality is useless for me. But the heavy concept art looks soooooo good that I’ve been working towards it (unless there’s some ridiculous extra requirement for the arcanum/precursor part, I’ll have more than enough to get the full set the day it releases, just as quick as I can do that map completion on six characters)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, genjonah.1253 said:

Oh yeah I’d be pissed. I already have legendary heavy armor, so the functionality is useless for me. But the heavy concept art looks soooooo good that I’ve been working towards it (unless there’s some ridiculous extra requirement for the arcanum/precursor part, I’ll have more than enough to get the full set the day it releases, just as quick as I can do that map completion on six characters)

I can't even remember what the concept art looks like. I'm just hoping one of the final products looks good so I'll have some use for all the essence I'm amassing. Luckily convergences offer a lot of the stuff in containers so I don't have to store all the essences, just a few stacks of containers. I'll just toss it out if the skins disappoint I'm already set for legendary armor thanks to WvW, so I'm not going to waste thousands of ecto crafting amalgamated essences in advance. 

• Confused 1

yeah so far there is no precursor but since all of arcanum collections have, rift hunter, astral ward, oneiros armor and ? then it is either another armor which unlocks for all tiers or it is precursor to pick weight type, OR they could do something completely new. Hope it is worth it visually 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2