Obsidian Armor - Any News?

Zeph.9180

1 hour ago, Lugh.8470 said:

then it is either another armor which unlocks for all tiers or it is precursor to pick weight type, OR they could do something completely new.

I'm thinking it'll be one of:

• Achievement (similar to Vision). The most likely scenario is "must complete each Zone Mastery achievement". It'd help ensuring longer-term player interaction in those zones, especially if Inner Nayos II has achievement requirements like Honorary Astral Ward
  • Token(s) you get after completing the final Act(s) to complete the collections.
  • Specific Drop(s) or Purchasable for Zone Currencies - Similar to Plated Weapons, ensuring that players will continue to play those maps.

25 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

• Achievement (similar to Vision). The most likely scenario is "must complete each Zone Mastery achievement". It'd help ensuring longer-term player interaction in those zones, especially if Inner Nayos II has achievement requirements like Honorary Astral Ward
  • Token(s) you get after completing the final Act(s) to complete the collections.
  • Specific Drop(s) or Purchasable for Zone Currencies - Similar to Plated Weapons, ensuring that players will continue to play those maps.

i hope they won't stretch it out, Initially i didn't plan to get it because of essences, now after convergences i started doing  it and so far I have crafted gifts for helmet and boots and almost finished shoulders gifts  (so almost 3/6)but, because of limited info that I know i just really really hope delivering legendary won't be stretched more, it is already becoming semi work very slowly and I have stepped back a bit. it's just there is carrot and the stick but drive to achieve  has a limit for how long one can chase, get me ?   at least in my opinion. 

On 12/14/2023 at 3:02 PM, Stx.4857 said:

Obsidian armor is one of the biggest features of this expansion.  I really hope we get more information about it before it arrives in game.  Players are spending a lot of time farming the materials for it ahead of time, and if it turns out to look nothing like the concept art, that is going to really upset some people.  

if it sucks I won't preorder next exp

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Lugh.8470 said:

i hope they won't stretch it out

Hopefully not. It'll be nice to know the full cost(s) for getting the armour, and to see the skins fully.

If ANet really wanted to mess with people's minds:

• 4th Collection Item = "Base" Obsidian Armour skin (whatever that may be)
  • T1 = Unlocks the Armour in Legendary Armoury using Base Obsidian Armour skin (similar to how Triumphant Hero's armour Ascended vs. Legendary uses the same skin)
  • T2 = Variants based on the concept art usable by all weight classes.
    • Tinfoil Time:
      • Sex Equality: ANet has been moving away from having awesome Male armour sets and sexualized female armour sets for a while now, or equally sexualized sets. This was pretty openly displayed with EoD where none of the armour sets have any sexualization at all, with male & female versions being 1:1 for the most part.
      • Weight Equality: Many Gemstore skins have started giving a Light/Medium/Heavy appearance to individual pieces and entire sets, allowing much more mixing and matching for fashion. SotO cranked this up with the Astral Ward (Light) & Rift Hunter (Medium) sets (Oneiros-Spun being its own niche).
      • Provides Long-Term grind: People love skins, and if the T2 variants are a way to effectively unlock armour from different weight classes, you're going to see a lot of people working towards them. I personally would love to be able to roll out with an Elementalist in full plate, or a Revenant in a combination of the Light (business suit) and Medium (assassin)
  • Confused 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:02 PM, Stx.4857 said:

Obsidian armor is one of the biggest features of this expansion.

Isn't it the only feature? 😄

Oh wait, we can use updrafts with our flying mounts now, which is a nice QoL feature, and we can mount the Skyscale in combat -- would have been better if the latter worked 100% of the time and didn't require me to spam my mount-up key a dozen times. Also, I expected this ability to be unlocked for all mounts in further masteries along the way, but instead we got Astral Ward and Inner Nayos masteries which will likely become obsolete after the expac.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

I was one of the people hoping they would do OW leggy armor, i support this totally. And as i said in past posts i dont care if its a potato sack, the whole point of the leg armor is QoL! Nothing even comes close to its qol, so thank you anet for listening and putting in a set for people that dont raid or pvp but play in the zones instead. I even skin my raid leggys because im not a fan of them, so i dont care what Obo armor looks like really its about the bonus of having it and now people that dont raid can get that qol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

I wonder if you're right since you can essentially buy everything for gold except the map currency + unusual coins and map clears for the gifts. Right now that's the only time limiting factor. You have to grind the maps or do the metas on 30 days. Neither is particularly difficult though it will be time consuming.

It will be interesting to see how we get that 4th unlock on the armor achievements.

32 minutes ago, Leger.3724 said:

I wonder if you're right since you can essentially buy everything for gold except the map currency + unusual coins and map clears for the gifts. Right now that's the only time limiting factor. You have to grind the maps or do the metas on 30 days. Neither is particularly difficult though it will be time consuming.

It will be interesting to see how we get that 4th unlock on the armor achievements.

30 days map meta per armor weight so for whatever reason if you fancy other weight armor and try to go for it, it is another month of not missing daily meta, and after doing skywatch and amnytas for 36 days (6 for astral armor) I have never touched those maps besides weekly rift hunting chests, they are quite burner, or maybe my approach was wrong ? but I was just doing daily meta and log out of game and even then it burned me out. I know I wasn't in rush or anything but well besides those metas for legendary armor there was nothing much to do. 

On 12/16/2023 at 1:33 AM, Lugh.8470 said:

30 days map meta per armor weight so for whatever reason if you fancy other weight armor and try to go for it, it is another month of not missing daily meta, and after doing skywatch and amnytas for 36 days (6 for astral armor) I have never touched those maps besides weekly rift hunting chests, they are quite burner, or maybe my approach was wrong ? but I was just doing daily meta and log out of game and even then it burned me out. I know I wasn't in rush or anything but well besides those metas for legendary armor there was nothing much to do. 

I would not hold my breath for 30 days per set. They usually time gate to 20-30 days per piece of armor in other modes even if you have gold for other stuff. Probably there will be time gating piece here as well close to that.

Edited by WRay.2391
Typo
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, WRay.2391 said:

I would not hold my breath for 30 days per set. They usually time gate to 20-30 days per piece of armor in other modes even if you have gold for other stuff. Probably there will be time gating piece here as well close to that.

There's already a LOT of gating for Obsidian Armour

• Kryptis Essences - Rifts or Convergences
    • Doing Convergences x3 per week makes it less than 24 weeks per set
  • Research Notes & Essence of Luck
  • Story Missions (Act I-III) - Rift Hunter armour
  • Zone Currency (for 250) - Astral Ward & Oneiros-Spun armour
  • Mastery & Zone Currency (250 coins & 250 of each zone) - Gift of Persistence
  • Map Completion - All 3, Amnytas cannot be completed without partially completing Bastion of Balance event chain

While none of them are hard-gated the same way as PvP (Leagues), WvW (Skirmish), or Raids (Insight/week), the sheer amount of time required is astronomical once you hit the daily caps

• Thanks 1

I suspect that the Arcanum of Astral XYZ's are the 'precursor' item.

From the page for Arcanum of Astral Thought:

"Combined by a skilled crafter with a Gift of Magical Prosperity, Gift of Stormy Skies, and Gift of Expertise within the Wizard's Tower to create legendary armor."

That is the in-game description.

I suspect that the Arcanum items purchased from Lyhr are boxes with weight tier items within them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

There's already a LOT of gating for Obsidian Armour

• Kryptis Essences - Rifts or Convergences
    • Doing Convergences x3 per week makes it less than 24 weeks per set

Can be strait up bought.

• Research Notes & Essence of Luck

Again, can be bought.

• Story Missions (Act I-III) - Rift Hunter armour

Aren't players complaining about story length? What is it, 2-3 hours here at best, less if speedrun.

• Zone Currency (for 250) - Astral Ward & Oneiros-Spun armour

As Ashantara pointed out, you can acquire a significant anount of currency daily. Doing the 3 metas and collecting magic with some preevents yields around 500 map currency per day for each map (250 as map currency item from the meta chest).

More if you factor for rifts/events completed.

My rough calculation (based on my map resource growth rate) comes out to around 18 days of doing the metas and preevents per set and 1.5 hours total spent in the zones per day. 

• Mastery & Zone Currency (250 coins & 250 of each zone) - Gift of Persistence

Around 15 days if logging in characters for 5 minutes per day if going big chests. Significantly less for players which dedicate time to farm the respawning small chests.

• Map Completion - All 3, Amnytas cannot be completed without partially completing Bastion of Balance event chain

Map completing the first 2 maps takes around 15-20 minutes each (and yes, Amnytas might need a specific time slot after the meta is done. Technically you could park multiple characters and get the 2 POIs which are locked behind events with all of them).

The third map is even faster currently, but we have no idea how it will get expanded.

While none of them are hard-gated the same way as PvP (Leagues), WvW (Skirmish), or Raids (Insight/week), the sheer amount of time required is astronomical once you hit the daily caps

The sheer amount of time is actually not that much if players go about it efficiently or are willing to spend gold/resources.

The most significant speed increases  have to do with reducing the gathering of essence which can either be strait up bought (completely) or significantly reduced by using motivations (which reduces the time it takes to gather the essence needed to around 1/3, essentially allowing players to gather enough essence for 3 sets instead of 1).

There is almost no real gating present and the gathering of resources is barely above what other armors require. 

Let's not forget:

- the WvW legendary armor takes  significantly longer not only due to it being gated but also in terms of play time per week

- the raid legendary armor has a significant amount of HoT metas involved (30 chak eggs, 30 aurilium ingots, etc) as well as a minimum 5 week gate for imbuing AND the precursor achievement collection besides the LI gate, after which each subsequent armor takes a minimum of 12 weeks.

- the Spvp armor has the largest time gates while requiring the least amount of game time

Most of the requirements for the obsidian armor can also be completed side by side. For a reasonably prepared and organized individual, without going into playing 5 hours per day or more, it takes around 1 month per full obsidian set if not buying essence (but using motivations) with estimated 2-3 hours game time per day (but committed to acquiring this armor).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The sheer amount of time is actually not that much if players go about it efficiently or are willing to spend gold/resources.

The most significant speed increases  have to do with reducing the gathering of essence which can either be strait up bought (completely) or significantly reduced by using motivations (which reduces the time it takes to gather the essence needed to around 1/3, essentially allowing players to gather enough essence for 3 sets instead of 1).

Yes, but keep in mind that there's still the time factor (in-game or ILR) required for amassing that sheer amount of gold. Based on the current buy prices, assuming average drops on the wiki, to get the essences needed for your first set of Obsidian Armour, you're looking at +1400g on top of the current ~2800g for the first Obsidian set (~2300g per subsequent set)

I see the armour as breaking down to:

• WvW - Lowest player involvement (1-3 min active play required per 10 min) but takes the highest in-game playtime (~24hrs/week for 18 weeks minimum)
  • PvP - Cheapest (reward tracks) but takes the longest per set (approx 24 weeks)
  • Raid - Fastest (5 weeks) but requires the most player involvement (raid organization, metas)
  • Open World - Most expensive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

Yes, but keep in mind that there's still the time factor (in-game or ILR) required for amassing that sheer amount of gold. Based on the current buy prices, assuming average drops on the wiki, to get the essences needed for your first set of Obsidian Armour, you're looking at +1400g on top of the current ~2800g for the first Obsidian set (~2300g per subsequent set)

I see the armour as breaking down to:

• WvW - Lowest player involvement (1-3 min active play required per 10 min) but takes the highest in-game playtime (~24hrs/week for 18 weeks minimum)
  • PvP - Cheapest (reward tracks) but takes the longest per set (approx 24 weeks)
  • Raid - Fastest (5 weeks) but requires the most player involvement (raid organization, metas)
  • Open World - Most expensive

The problem is time gating of existing legendary armor cannot be avoided by using credit card. I actually expect the same for Obsidian armor, unless A net is aiming for big one time profit.

18 minutes ago, WRay.2391 said:

The problem is time gating of existing legendary armor cannot be avoided by using credit card. I actually expect the same for Obsidian armor, unless A net is aiming for big one time profit.

Really, Legendaries in this game offer no in-game advantage over Ascended besides ease of access (stats, runes/sigils/infusions, & fashion), so there's not really any harm done to the game if someone just buys all the currently purchasable materials (~4200g = ~$160USD), which they currently already can for all leggie weapons

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

Really, Legendaries in this game offer no in-game advantage over Ascended besides ease of access (stats, runes/sigils/infusions, & fashion), so there's not really any harm done to the game if someone just buys all the currently purchasable materials (~4200g = ~$160USD), which they currently already can for all leggie weapons

Would disagree on this. No advantage in stats, but huge QoL improvement. If you have a lot of alts and want to try builds, it's dramatic life improvement. I was grinding WvW until finished all 3 sets. As a bonus figured out that WvW can be fun, would be hard to finish otherwise ..

Would it be fair if somebody would pay cash for armor? Not sure neither care. Should make other type of armor marketable though in this case. Let's raiders and WvWer get profit as well.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:14 PM, voyage.9314 said:

They should give us a preview of how the armors look in game after Wintersday.

Since they haven't published anything yet, I doubt we will be getting anything after Wintersday. Perhaps alongside the new weapons update later on?

Edit: Just realized the weapons update will ship alongside the next SotO release, which will contain the legendary armor sets. Oops! 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 12/19/2023 at 6:42 PM, WRay.2391 said:

Would disagree on this. No advantage in stats, but huge QoL improvement. If you have a lot of alts and want to try builds, it's dramatic life improvement. I was grinding WvW until finished all 3 sets. As a bonus figured out that WvW can be fun, would be hard to finish otherwise ..

Would it be fair if somebody would pay cash for armor? Not sure neither care. Should make other type of armor marketable though in this case. Let's raiders and WvWer get profit as well.

The people looking for easily accessible open world Legendary armor are mostly not the ones who care so much about trying out different builds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 12/16/2023 at 4:30 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Isn't it the only feature? 😄

Oh wait, we can use updrafts with our flying mounts now, which is a nice QoL feature, and we can mount the Skyscale in combat -- would have been better if the latter worked 100% of the time and didn't require me to spam my mount-up key a dozen times. Also, I expected this ability to be unlocked for all mounts in further masteries along the way, but instead we got Astral Ward and Inner Nayos masteries which will likely become obsolete after the expac.

The combat mount has an ICD, so it works, but only when not on cooldown.

But yeah the other masteries were a bit of a let down as they are purely map/material specific. Not comparatively creative to the skyscale one.

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

This obsidian armour better be the best looking armour in this game

Anet had an awesome opportunity here to show case all that eleven years of expansion. dungeons. fractals. Jumping puzzles. The living storyline. Etc etc had to offer. the sky was the limit

Instead it has been locked behind the same quest collecting thousands of kryptis essences

This for me. so far has been the most mind numbing content I played in this game todate 😞

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, leeloo jovovich.8231 said:

This obsidian armour better be the best looking armour in this game

Anet had an awesome opportunity here to show case all that eleven years of expansion. dungeons. fractals. Jumping puzzles. The living storyline. Etc etc had to offer. the sky was the limit

Instead it has been locked behind the same quest collecting thousands of kryptis essences

This for me. so far has been the most mind numbing content I played in this game todate 😞

Lets hope its the rest of the paper armor

• Confused 1