Easiest WvW solo roamer class build for an elderly mouse-clicker

Malak.7108

I'm now nearly completely useless at roaming and even have a slow time taking T0 camps.

It would be nice to take camps faster,  and occasionally win a fight against a newbie or at least not die so quickly.

For years I've been FB support as its both fun and can make some difference in a squad - much easier than fighting. 

There are always WvW Guardian roamer builds on MetaBattle and YouTube but with slow reactions nothing seems to make much difference .
Yesterday was watching a new Dragon Hunter roamer video on YouTube - but needs one to quickly drop traps, pull enemy across them, lots of quick thinking 😞

By the way, when DH first came out I could roam and fight a bit, even did a 1v5, but that seems aeons ago - must have been easier then. 

Any ideas, what class I should focus on, and some tips that don't require mental or physical gymnastics.

Something other than a Guardian might also make a refreshing change.

Clearly, I just need somewhere to start, then get roaming, keep dying, and with lots of practice things might get better.

P.S - My gaming mouse is an ET T16 with some 8 buttons including left and right click.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Kuya.6495 said:

Try cele shortbow vindicator. You just spam dodges to win.

This is so true. I'm a slower elderly gamer and there's really no reason to click, except due to habit. Get yourself a Razer Naga Mouse or something similar with 12+ buttons. Practice a bit and it really speeds up combat choices. As for Kuya's point, he/she is spot on, from playing an Engineer for most of my time, the simplicity of the short bow on Rev is perfect, you can play it with power, condi or celestial. Try it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Valdel.7325 said:

This is so true. I'm a slower elderly gamer and there's really no reason to click, except due to habit. Get yourself a Razer Naga Mouse or something similar with 12+ buttons. Practice a bit and it really speeds up combat choices. As for Kuya's point, he/she is spot on, from playing an Engineer for most of my time, the simplicity of the short bow on Rev is perfect, you can play it with power, condi or celestial. Try it.

Thank you, a lot to think about.

I've just made a Revenant and so much to learn - something new to do :)

Yes, better gaming mouse sounds way to go - seen some Razer Naga on eBay - need to try and understand options.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, crkovinar.9802 said:

I have come across a Youtuber that has just started to produce series on precisely this topic. At this moment, there are 2 videos out(mesmer and reaper). For the intro i suggest this video

Wow - a great channel - thank you.

In that video's comments - I would never have guessed FASTCAR was a mouse clicker to - seen him leading. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crkovinar.9802 said:

I have come across a Youtuber that has just started to produce series on precisely this topic. At this moment, there are 2 videos out(mesmer and reaper). For the intro i suggest this video

I am a clicker too, keyboard for 1-5 and click 6-0 and that looks very much like my mesmer build!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malak.7108 said:

I'm now nearly completely useless at roaming and even have a slow time taking T0 camps.

It would be nice to take camps faster,  and occasionally win a fight against a newbie or at least not die so quickly.

For years I've been FB support as its both fun and can make some difference in a squad - much easier than fighting. 

There are always WvW Guardian roamer builds on MetaBattle and YouTube but with slow reactions nothing seems to make much difference .
Yesterday was watching a new Dragon Hunter roamer video on YouTube - but needs one to quickly drop traps, pull enemy across them, lots of quick thinking 😞

By the way, when DH first came out I could roam and fight a bit, even did a 1v5, but that seems aeons ago - must have been easier then. 

Any ideas, what class I should focus on, and some tips that don't require mental or physical gymnastics.

Clearly, I just need somewhere to start, then get roaming, keep dying, and with lots of practice things might get better.

P.S - My gaming mouse is an ET T16 with some 8 buttons including left and right click.

If you are welcome to share, there are also a lot of guilds that like to theory craft that might lend to additional details in a new build. From an alt-o-holic, Forum Wars 2 sends an always open welcome. Please stop by anytime, all are welcome here. Good gaming!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, Malak.7108 said:

If reaction speeds are an issue: would avoid Willbendor, Thief and Mez. Mental gymnastics: Ele but with a caveat it can be some of the strongest sustain. Warrior has lots of options in the various forms, Guardians as you know and as you noted Dragonhunter still works well for roaming. Engi I was going to add the gymnastic line but how many kits you choose will vary that. Scrapper still pretty solid and you will find plenty of Mech and Holo still out roaming. Necro, good number of Reaper and Harbi out there. Scourge still don't roam as much and more group play. Revenant has options across the board. Ranger still gives you some of the best range, in close melee damage and may be easiest to play but the less gymnastic you play the more likely you will run into issues. 

I do recommend a build that has more armor if your reactions are slower, gives you more time to react. Higher armor and have some sustain in the build and to cover the other side cleanses and stunbreaks always required now if roaming. Other option, find a havoc and get some battlebuddies so you can create a compliment build. Roaming alone you are giving yourself the most challenge since odds are good at best you are going to fight outnumbered when roaming. You have the right attitude, each fight you lose is one more to learn from and in some cases there wasn't a good way to have won it since it was a contrasting build to the one you had set. 

I will leave others to recommend build sites, don't use them,  I am more of a theory crafter enthusiast , so the one I use to craft out new builds is http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/. Allows you to set a build and check your numbers, combos and see what your numbers might land at considering things like stacks of bloodlust, might and so fourth before you start crafting if you need to acquire the gear versus some other means. 

Hope that helps.

Edit: If you do switch out mice, I would recommend the G604, gives you six side buttons two on the top and center click on the scroll wheel. That way if you want to try you can map more to the mouse. Add in an AltKey combo and that counts for 12 on the side of the mouse. And I admit, I keyboard, mouse and click. 😉As a former Choppa I sometimes still consider the face roll across the keyboard for the true wins but my Charr is sadly not a Choppa so that is out. Good hunting!

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Edit: Mouse
  • Like 2

I would add when it comes to camps your positioning and where you pull the guards are just as important as what you are running. Pull them into a spot where you can AoE everyone at once. For example, NEC on Alpine, pull them into the tiny pathway between the supply hut and the very small hill. Then with a little stab on yourself, you can stand there and burst everyone down all at once as they group up. However, if taking down one at a time, always remove the Veteran Scouts first if you can as they will cause your attacks to miss due to blindness which will drag out flipping the camp. A little extra food for thought as us older gamers need to play smarter not smash buttons harder, lol.  🙂

Edited by phaidetublacke.6048
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, Malak.7108 said:

with slow reactions nothing seems to make much difference .

(snip)

The video up there shows that it's legit clickable, but considering your remarks above I'd still suggest avoiding Mesmer. Regardless of which spec you choose it's a very active playstyle that really benefits from quick reactions to the enemy, constant situational awareness of your position, how many clones you have and where, what's on cooldown, how quickly can you react to an action, and how you can get your fragile behind out of trouble quickly.

That applies to all classes to some degree, but Mesmer really is one of the most reactive classes if not the most. The video shows that it can indeed be played via point-and-click successfully, but if reaction time is an issue for you then playing Mesmer will do little more than frustrate you.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

"meme advice"

So cele willy is not totally and utterly ridiculously broken? Or harb, catalyst, renegade, mirage, virtuoso? Ur gonna sit there, and in all honesty claim these classes,  with cele are not easier to master then other, none cele based builds? Is that what ur saying? 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

7 hours ago, dead.7638 said:

Pretty sure guard and ranger just use auto attack.   So just click once and pewpew away ftw.   If you can manage to click and dodge with no issue, rev is a good choice.

Neither would do well on auto and be downed quickly. OP is asking an honest question for options to try, do them the service to share what you see that requires less reaction time and still works well against other roamer builds if they are roaming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thomas.2564 said:

So cele willy is not totally and utterly ridiculously broken? Or harb, catalyst, renegade, mirage, virtuoso? Ur gonna sit there, and in all honesty claim these classes,  with cele are not easier to master then other, none cele based builds? Is that what ur saying? 😅

Chaba is being polite and suggesting to actually address the OP comments versus what posters were doing in some cases. Are you reading this as more than that? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thomas.2564 said:

Wasn't interested in hijacking OPs thread with a tangent about gear stats. Willbender has a fast playstyle feel and not what the OP was exactly looking for.

• Like 6

On 12/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, Malak.7108 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2lZwaYasLGJOyPntdA-D2IY1oh/MiUB0rEwmnAChopAQ5vltm2AA-w

This, This and so much this.    I know its elementalist... but its as low APM as it gets for a ele build.

You can literally facetank your way thru multiple people, while spamming fire to kill them.   Not gonna sugarcoat it.  This is overpowered.

(the clips are from BEFORE the buff!  its even stronger now xD )

i can explain to you the few tips and tricks there are to this build if you want.   Just ask.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Flamethrower Mech is probably the lowest intensity viable build. It's not optimal by any means, but you can viably play by just pressing 1 in the flamethrower kit while passively gaining perma stab and decent healing (use firearms/alchemy). Set the mech skills to autocast. You don't really have any class mechanics you need to focus on and can focus on other things. 

Edited by connor.2180
more info
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 8:47 PM, crkovinar.9802 said:

Wow - a great channel - thank you.

In that video's comments - I would never have guessed FASTCAR was a mouse clicker to - seen him leading. 

Wow this Vindicator is amazing - its the one from MetaBattle - GS/Shortbow roamer.

I've only been using it less that 30 minutes and already taken three  T0 camps very easily and beaten a player - but guess they were a newbie.

The build is still a mystery and little idea how Shortbow and Great Sword work but they brought some success by spam mouse clicking a few things.

Now need to figure this build out, get better equipment and watch YT videos to see how its done properly otherwise I'll still get wrecked most times.

Thank you to everyone who had posted - I have read every post and thought about then all - still taking the info in.

Its taken some time - as I had to get the Secrets of Obscure expansion because the Short bow doesn't work by default on Vindicator - that has been fun to.

Anyhow, at least some hope for elderly mouse clickers like me who want to roam a bit - thank you all :)

P.S - somehow I messed up and double posted and earlier post - sorry.

Edited by Malak.7108
messed up
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1