Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

6 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

Simply put, this isn't what was promised.  We were told they would be legendary, not semi-legendary.  Future proofing is a big part of legendary items.

Of course it's not. What they speak now is exactly the "preparing to have fun" this game originally was supposed not to have. But it's clear that they strongly dislike those game foundations. Or at least find them mightily inconvenient, because they try to prevent them from replacing actual interesting content (one they'd have to put effort into designing) with cheap surrogate of a gear grind.

Yeah, from economic point of view the change might make sense (at least for the devs). But it definitely makes for a worse game for the players.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

How much more significant progess can you get then a 100% free relic?

I'd rather have partial progress toward an actual, bona fied legendary relic that's future proof than a free "legendary" relic that isn't.  For a lot of people the future proofing is the point, and its what we had before they added relics to the game, which by the way, nobody asked for.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

I'd rather have partial progress toward an actual, bona fied legendary relic that's future proof than a free "legendary" relic that isn't.  For a lot of people the future proofing is the point, and its what we had before they added relics to the game, which by the way, nobody asked for.

^^This
I mean it was nice they told us that it was coming so I, like many others prepared by gathering stuff, gold and mats to be ready when it launches. I was ready and willing to spend something around 2k gold on a legendary relic although I already had 7 legendary runes for years. Now sure, I get to spend that on something else because I get a free legendary relic. But it's not a legendary now is it?
Also yes, no one has asked for relics in the first place. They set a sad precedent for vertical progression ANet has been avoiding for over a decade. Relics have taken away functionality only to sell them back to the players and seeing this only convinces me more that we will see more of this with future living worl...i mean, expansions. Be prepared to repeat the same with belts in six months and with toerings a year later.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

Once again ANET don't understand their own game, or their players. Offering us the relic for free is fine, even if it doesn't match what they were telling us a few months ago. But what's coming is NOT a legendary; at least it isn't a legendary as we've come to expect it in the game. The whole point of legendary is that it's one and done, now suddenly we'll have to be doing something to unlock future legendary options?

What next? Bring the old legendary items into line and make us grind new options for those too? Sure, they are saying they won't do that now. But given what we've seen from ANET recently, why the hell would we believe a word?

Still, at least I've made a nice chunk of change selling the charms I no longer need.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Wow. There's a bunch of people here who would find something to complain about if Anet won the lottery and mailed everyone a USD10k check.

I read today's relic announcement and it was very clear that Anet were bending over backward to give the best solution for people who had legendary runes. It's a fair and even generous solution.

As for making people play the game to unlock future expansion relics, that's in line with other decisions Anet have made and I think it's a good thing. Eg, removing most of the rewards for just logging in when they created the Wizards Vault, the WV provides a lot of rewards (more than the old system in most ways) but you actually have to play the game to get the rewards.

Making people play the game to unlock future expansion relics is totally reasonable (it's not a money making exercise either - it's always been the case that you need to buy an expansion to unlock anything from it). Yes, it's slightly different from the other legendary in that respect but, I'm sorry, I think complaining about being forced to play the game to get features from the game is just silly. If you aren't willing to play the game why are you even on this forum?

My only sympathy here is for full-time PvP and WvW players who have no interest in PvE (and maybe some of the complainers are in this category but they haven't made it clear). I don't know if there will be ways of unlocking the relics via WvW / PvP vendors and currency, eg like you can unlock hero points. No mention of it yet if there will be, but we'll see.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

This is great news.
Even though I made the full 7, the fact that even 1x Leggy Rune can get people the Leggy Relic is great.

The future unlock thing doesn't really bother me, just looks like the sPvP Amulet system now, you unlock it, you get to use it forever, same slot, all thats needed is a little extra work.
Also...Reward Tracks can bypass PvE Achievements.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I suppose I expected "a loss". I did not expect "zero worth". Especially after they made the specific point that 7 would be needed for full compensation. Like, if it was ambiguous, I wouldn't care one way or the other. The very specific follow up question was asked and answered.

And that answer has now changed. Pretty much everything around relics has been a disappointment to me. This is just more of that. Not a deal breaker, mind you. I still enjoy the game. I'm just a little less enthused.

Human's are in many ways illogical.

If Anet had announced that each legendary rune gave you 1/7th of a legendary relic such that owners of 7 legendary runes got a free legendary relic then you would have been totally happy as the end result would be that you have 7 legendary runes and a free relic.

Anet have made a different announcement which means that the end result is you have 7 legendary runes and a free relic. That is, exactly the same end result as above and you are no worse off than you originally hoped to be. Yet you are complaining and are not happy?

Is this logical?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8

The problem here is that a lot of people assumed something. They assumed what "significant progress" meant. They assumed "how legendary relics would work." They assumed and now assume the legendary relic will be as expensive and/or time consuming as something like a legendary trinket. Make such assumptions at your own peril.

I mean I understand the term "legendary" for relics is different than what we all know and would expect, or well assume, but we have no idea what the "one time cost" of the legendary relic is. It's basically a "relic locker" and maybe Anet should just name it as such (call he legendary "Relic Locket" or something, I dunno). The relic system was wonky from the very beginning, and a part of "legendaries" are convenience, which these do provide. They just aren't future proofed (which I can understand the disappointment), but I also understand ArenaNet's reasoning behind it in this case. Unlocking future relics, if like SoTO relics, should be free and most come through relatively simple achievements.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 1/25/2024 at 10:50 PM, LilyStarflame.5738 said:

I'm super happy with this, having a legendary that's easy to get initially but is then progressable is something i've wanted for a long time, hopefully this is how they'll get around all of the weirdness of infusions and we can finally get a legendary of those.

Me too, I like that you build on it in the future, gives ArenaNet a way to continue giving meaningful rewards in the future. I'm very happy with the way the Legendary Relic is being added.

Edit: I've changed my mind on this, I no longer like this. Thinking about it these are not "meaningful rewards" just more carrots to dangle behind new expansions. I play WvW and I go for achievements anyway so unlocking them won't be an issue but this feels wrong.

Edited by Pifil.5193
Changed my mind
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

So, for relics only—and starting with the fifth expansion—new relic effects will need to be unlocked within each expansion in order to be accessible via legendary relics

So it's not a legendary relic from the fifth expansion onwards. Noted. 😂

Edited by Pinkeh.4207
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Wow. There's a bunch of people here who would find something to complain about if Anet won the lottery and mailed everyone a USD10k check.

I read today's relic announcement and it was very clear that Anet were bending over backward to give the best solution for people who had legendary runes. It's a fair and even generous solution.

As for making people play the game to unlock future expansion relics, that's in line with other decisions Anet have made ...

Your hyperbolic lottery metaphor makes no sense. No one who made a full set of legendary runes is getting ANYTHING for free or at a small cost, they are only partially getting back what was taken away from them last Summer. The shift of sixth-tier bonuses from runes to relics forever reduced the value of legendary runes, and taking away the standard that legendary items will always have all available stats on release means a legendary relic is not a full replacement for what was removed from legendary runes., and that's not even to mention that some bonuses were removed that may never come back at all. I have no problem with earning future relic bonuses, because I like playing the game, but to suggest taking something away and giving only some back is fair, generous, or bending over backward is absurd.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 6

35 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

I also understand ArenaNet's reasoning behind it in this case.

Oh, i completely understand their reasoning. It's the basis of every gear progression grind system, after all. It's just i happen to strongly dislike that reasoning, which is why i play this MMORPG, and not any of the other ones, that embraced this way of thinking.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Onex.2590 said:

Your hyperbolic lottery metaphor makes no sense. No one who made a full set of legendary runes is getting ANYTHING for free or at a small cost, they are only partially getting back what was taken away from them last Summer.

I wasn't saying the legendary relic situation is the same situation as the 10k check example.

I was saying that there are a bunch of people in this forum who would complain even if Anet won the lottery and sent everyone a 10k check. I believe that to be true. There would be people complaining that they have played more hours than others and deserve more of the money, there would be people saying that anyone who didn't login during the last month shouldn't get any money, there would be people saying that 6 years ago someone who worked for Anet said if they won the lottery they would do XYZ with it, etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't matter what Anet does, it appears people will complain.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I wasn't saying the legendary relic situation is the same situation as the 10k check example.

I was saying that there are a bunch of people in this forum who would complain even if Anet won the lottery and sent everyone a 10k check. I believe that to be true. There would be people complaining that they have played more hours than others and deserve more of the money, there would be people saying that anyone who didn't login during the last month shouldn't get any money, there would be people saying that 6 years ago someone who worked for Anet said if they won the lottery they would do XYZ with it, etc, etc, etc.

So, you are saying that your comment had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. And that you were complaining for the sake of complaining (thus making your commment quite true). Duly noted.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Yes, people will always find something to complain about. Also, you will always find someone to complain about something.
That doesn't automatically mean that every complaint is made without reason.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So, you are saying that your comment had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. And that you were complaining for the sake of complaining (thus making your commment quite true). Duly noted.

That was one line of my post. And in any case that one line was still directly related to the responses in this thread.

Correct that I am indeed complaining about the excessive complaining...

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, PipuLS.7264 said:

it says that the ones who craft leggy runes before soto will recibe de leggy rune, so ... no you wont get it if you craft a leggy rune right now

fully compensate anyone who had made any legendary runes prior to the legendary relic becoming available with a completed legendary relic. When the release that contains legendary relics goes live, the eligibility period will end, and the only way to obtain a legendary relic will be through the normal crafting journey. So yes they will if they do it before legendary relic is released.

7 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

You and others have been crying for weeks. Maybe you should have waited until we got all the facts about legendary relics. 

I'll say this:

The way they want Legendary Relics to work should be how relics worked from the start (none of this new physical item that binds to character, takes up bag space, and requires you to go mash out 1-2 brainless SotO tracks for the same 2 relics for every character you play on an account [or playing the "collect the 8 situationally good utility relics for a healer" game]), and the legendary relic should let you skip those unlocks. 

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Maybe some people don't really care if Anet is changing how a legendary item work for the worse.. but they always stated that GW2 isn't a game for gear grind.. the legendary items were planned to be the ultimate goal for players that don't want to grind for gear from time to time.. their design was basically high cost in exchange for the feature of swapping things at will. Going back to a gear grind style is just not GW2.. I really hate to see the studio going back more and more on their statements over the last few years.

The fact that they announced that people with a full set of legendary runes would get a significant progress towards the legendary relic made it feel more in balance with the idea that the they would have to spend more time and gold to get the rune effect that was taken from them. Was it frustrating? Yes it was, but it would still make people engage with contents in game while taking in consideration the amount of investment from each player.. Some people even crafted the 7th rune, which most players wouldn't go for, because it is only if you really care to have the bonus on your aquabreather..

Why do they think that giving the same compensation for those with 1, 6 or 7 runes is fair? It's just sad to see the studio treating their players like that..

Edited by leila.7962
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

Why do they think that giving the same compensation for those with 1, 6 or 7 runes is fair?

It sure is a strange choice, but I think the devs just wanted to be done with the discordance surrounding the change in Rune functionality and the introduction of Relics. The discussions have been endless. So this is their way of saying, "Pleeeease, move on already!" 😉

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

56 minutes ago, SNowDRop LiLLY.2834 said:

When does the patch release? I'm planing on my crafting table right now! 

It is most likely when the wizards vault refresh next time so check the count own in special tab.

Its about a month I belive.