Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

Cmon Anet thats just lazy. 

First of all, failed to stick by your own promises. You did promissed people that the amount of compensation would be proportional with amount of crafted legendary runes. Which did made sense in a way. Now it literary devalued the investment of people who has 6+ legendary runes. 

Secondly, you failed common sense check in answering the simplest question: what is being compensated? The answer is: 6th rune set bonus. So in order to "lose" something you actually had to have that. So in order to loose the 6th rune set bonus you needed to have at least 6 legendary runes. 

Thirdly, you introduced a way to "abuse" this window of opportunity for people that want to get a discounted lege relic. 

Fourthly, you devalued the meaning of "legendary" gear. Legendary gear takes a lot of investment into being able to "never think about that slot again", and now you want to basically "farm" these relic on a quaterly (or yearly) basis. I dont mind the requirement of owning a specific expansion to get access to relics that are part of it, but doing bonus "chores" is not ok. People that want "progression" and "something to do" do achievements on their own, without the need to lock legendary relic bonuses to them. And some of us dont actually care about achievements and dont want to be forced to do them just to unlock a legendary bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Legendary relic for all people who crafted the legendary runes = good.
Legendary relic for everyone who crafted at least one legendary rune = good.

I do not see a need of an additional compensation, as this will basically give you the utility-effect of the 6/7 runes back, which you have lost with the relic-introduction. So we are back at pre-SotO status.

Unlocking relics manually before they can be used on the legendary relic?
It is a small step backwards. Looking at gear attributes in comparison. For regular stat-select gear, you need the expansions unlocked to use certain combinations. But for legendary, that was not required. So they basically downgrade the legendary status for the relic.

I'm curious what the achievements will be to unlock the relics. If those tasks work the same as with the exotic variants, it will be acceptable. Time will tell. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

We understand that. And I understand WHY thy changed it. I even understand that it probably is an improvement. However, one of the huge QoL things of legendaries for me was to HAVE ALL THE THINGS ON RELEASE WITHOUT JUMPING THROUGH ALL THE HOOPS. If ANet wants people to jump through some hoops for the new Relic of Awesome attach it to a collection that is fun to do, gives a skin and maybe 5AP and people will do it. If ANet wants people to jump through some hoops for the new Relic of Awesome hide the hoops in engaging gamelpay so the hoops don't feel like hoops.

And...you don't see why that might be a problem in Anet's eyes? As the article itself said - they want players to actually engage with new content when it releases, rather than do it once, then never do it again, effectively creating problems  that already exist with the game's less popular pieces of content for new players, or players that may like the content that others don't.

Anet also isn't asking you to jump through hoops - they're asking you to simply play the content, and if the future expansion relics are anything to go by, then they'll all be acquirable through collections, zone-wide achievements, Reward Boxes, and if you really want to grind, crafting.

You still maintain the QoL aspect of the Legendary Relic - that it's account wide and you can swap the relic's affix at the push of a button, all you need to do is simply add a new relic to the library of existing relics you have by just doing whatever piece of content the relic you're after requires of you. That's not a big ask, especially if you only play a few characters, and don't need every new relic for each build.  There is literally nothing preventing you from just laser focusing on one or two relics that look interesting and synergize with your build, and ignoring the rest.

I feel like a lot of you are making a mountain out of a molehill, especially considering most of the requirements for the SotO relics were incredibly easy to do in a short amount of time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Cmon Anet thats just lazy. 

First of all, failed to stick by your own promises. You did promissed people that the amount of compensation would be proportional with amount of crafted legendary runes. Which did made sense in a way. Now it literary devalued the investment of people who has 6+ legendary runes. 

Secondly, you failed common sense check in answering the simplest question: what is being compensated? The answer is: 6th rune set bonus. So in order to "lose" something you actually had to have that. So in order to loose the 6th rune set bonus you needed to have at least 6 legendary runes. 

Thirdly, you introduced a way to "abuse" this window of opportunity for people that want to get a discounted lege relic. 

Fourthly, you devalued the meaning of "legendary" gear. Legendary gear takes a lot of investment into being able to "never think about that slot again", and now you want to basically "farm" these relic on a quaterly (or yearly) basis. I dont mind the requirement of owning a specific expansion to get access to relics that are part of it, but doing bonus "chores" is not ok. People that want "progression" and "something to do" do achievements on their own, without the need to lock legendary relic bonuses to them. And some of us dont actually care about achievements and dont want to be forced to do them just to unlock a legendary bonus. 

exactly, i would wave my hand over the first three points and although i don't like it i would say to hell with it, but the last point is absolutely key. the way they devalue the legendary item is insane and i can see the direction gw2 is taking and i don't like it at all. The outflow of people is significant and this will definitely not stop it, quite the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I just made my first Rune this morning, and it got me wondering. Do you actually need the SotO Expansion to get the free Legendary Relic?

I can't see Arenanet mentioning anything about it in their post. Does any of you know?

4 hours ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

Not a fan of the new Legendary Relic mechanic where you need to unlock the stat to use it. Part of the reason I make legendaries is so that I can swap into a new build freely, without having to buy new items, no matter what happens. Having to unlock new relics is aggravating. It means there's still a gear grind after every balance patch.

I suppose it's still better than not having the legendary, since another reason to make legendaries is to save inventory space, but it's still aggravating.

4 hours ago, Smol.7985 said:

If something doesn't have 100% of the legendary functionality the other legendaries have , should it be even called legendary at all ?

Holy christ on a stick, unlocking relics/stats is one of the easiest things to do, if you think that's a grind then for your own sanity please find another game to play.

To remind you this is what we had to do for the most recent relics.

Relic of the Midnight King - complete the latest story chapter...

Relic of Nayos - do the new map meta once, start to finish...

Relic of Karakosa - kill the Sorrow story boss in the time limit... (it's not hard)

Relic of the Demon Queen - kill Heitor story boss without being downed... (not difficult)

Relic of Nourys - do 10 convergences...

Or you could just pick them up from the WvW/PvP reward track.

With the exception of Nourys, all of these could be easily done on day one of the new content, the convergences are the only one even remotely approaching being in the same ballpark as a grind, in that you have to do the event more than once.

Get a grip seriously.

Waa waa crybaby confused emote

Edited by Remus Darkblight.1673
Crybabies crying
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

Just imagine if you had to do HTCM to unlock the stats on your legendary backpacks... this relic specific thing beats one of the purposes of even having a legendary -> to futureproof against geargrind. And if any of the things you have to do to unlock is even remotely difficult it is futureproofing crying on forums even more ... not sure yet if I'm more excited to see that or more annoyed that geargrind finally found a way into legy gear.

As for the one rune gives a free relic ...fine idc, but I wouldn't have either way (had many mats accumulated and ~3k gold set aside for getting it even if 7 runes wouldn't give progress in any way) BUT if this is the point that made you bind the futurestuff to unlocks - I'd rather pay full price for the legendary relic and have it be truly legendary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I understand what you mean, but before I see how grindy acquiring relics in the future will be I am not raging yet. It will appeal to the completionists. Sure, we could have done it like the legendary journeys and required everyone to get every last mastery point of SotO (ugh!) and pay like 2000 gold in crafting mats.

I am very relieved they didn't and prefer to do a reward track 20 times in WvW to get the new relics in the coming expansions.

It always depends on how convenient obtaining them will be. Before I don't know that, I don't care. But whether you have to grind a ton now to make a truly legendary relic or do a few hours in the coming expansions (I usually play WvW and PvE, so I hope I'll find a convenient way to obtain everything), I don't really care.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Minna.7895 said:

Just imagine if you had to do HTCM to unlock the stats on your legendary backpacks... this relic specific thing beats one of the purposes of even having a legendary -> to futureproof against geargrind. And if any of the things you have to do to unlock is even remotely difficult it is futureproofing crying on forums even more ... not sure yet if I'm more excited to see that or more annoyed that geargrind finally found a way into legy gear.

As for the one rune gives a free relic ...fine idc, but I wouldn't have either way (had many mats accumulated and ~3k gold set aside for getting it even if 7 runes wouldn't give progress in any way) BUT if this is the point that made you bind the futurestuff to unlocks - I'd rather pay full price for the legendary relic and have it be truly legendary.

Tbh, having to do some achievements to unlock the stats would be a fun way to incorporate new stats in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Tbh, having to do some achievements to unlock the stats would be a fun way to incorporate new stats in the game.

You can already do that by using the ascended stuff though, wich is also much cheaper than legendary - or from my perspective you already have to do that if you don't have legendary gear (to me that was a point for getting it). So yeah I am a little mad since the 6th runebonus that was taken was futureproof, I was already a bit bummed when EOD didn't introduce new runes to get some use out of it. I'm just not sure if I might enjoy the new crycontent even more (btw depending on what we have to do I'm not excluding myself from crying about it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

The problem with this one rune = free relic unlock is that those with 7 runes aren't being compensated at all for the material cost of the obsolete 7th.

I think those with 7 should have an option to swap it for a legendary sigil (assuming you don't have all 8 sigils😅). That or make a vendor that can break down the extra rune for the base materials again.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Esty.8352 said:

Here's an idea ...

When the Legendary Relic comes out, anyone with more than 1 Legendary Rune will get a Relic Unlock Token for each additional Legendary Rune they created.  The Token will allow them to unlock any future Relic that becomes available immediately.  This way people will get some compensation for having creating more Runes and it will also give them some of the "future proofing" back.

But then I guess some would complain they would have created more Runes before today if they knew that.  So there's probably no perfect solution.

Anyway, just a thought.

Not a bad idea.

11 hours ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

The problem is that they made a public, official statement about what they were going to do, then invalidated that.

And I am baffled as to why so many people are having such a hard time understanding the difference.

Pretty much this.

And mind you, personally I'm not angry-upset about these changes. Just tiredly disappointed in some of the details. Relics in general have seemed like change for the sake of it. And legendary rune holders were always an afterthought. It more or less is what it is. /shrug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Blade Syphon.4325 said:

You still maintain the QoL aspect of the Legendary Relic

No I don't.
It's also not about how hard it will be or wether or not I wil do it or not, I probably will. It's about principle and about meaning. The >>>L E G E N E D A R Y<<< scepter I crafted ten years ago has never lost relevance and unless ANet changes how those legy work, it never will. I can take a break for five years, ANet can release twenty new stat combinations and when I come back my scepter will be ready to go. That is not the case for this "legendary" relic. If I take a break for five years, then come back, I will have to grind through five years of potentially dead and empty content just to get up to date again. That is a difference.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

My girlfriend came up with a great idea to placate the people who made 7 legendary runes and want compensation: a mini legendary rune for having 7. It could either float around like the mini essence of luck, or preferably, roll along the ground after you. Or flop from one side, onto the edge then onto the other side. (though if you did add this there should probably be a legendary sigil mini too, for having 8.) This would also counteract the slightly bad feeling of not getting a visual effect for these legendaries.

Edited by LilyStarflame.5738
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Captain Harlock.1568 said:

The problem with this one rune = free relic unlock is that those with 7 runes aren't being compensated at all for the material cost of the obsolete 7th.

I think those with 7 should have an option to swap it for a legendary sigil (assuming you don't have all 8 sigils😅). That or make a vendor that can break down the extra rune for the base materials again.

The 7th isn't obsolete though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

No I don't.
It's also not about how hard it will be or wether or not I wil do it or not, I probably will. It's about principle and about meaning. The >>>L E G E N E D A R Y<<< scepter I crafted ten years ago has never lost relevance and unless ANet changes how those legy work, it never will. I can take a break for five years, ANet can release twenty new stat combinations and when I come back my scepter will be ready to go. That is not the case for this "legendary" relic. If I take a break for five years, then come back, I will have to grind through five years of potentially dead and empty content just to get up to date again. That is a difference.

While that is true, doesn't it depend on the severity of the grind?

If the only thing you had to do was complete the story, I don't think anyone would complain.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Esty.8352 said:

Here's an idea ...

When the Legendary Relic comes out, anyone with more than 1 Legendary Rune will get a Relic Unlock Token for each additional Legendary Rune they created.  The Token will allow them to unlock any future Relic that becomes available immediately.  This way people will get some compensation for having creating more Runes and it will also give them some of the "future proofing" back.

But then I guess some would complain they would have created more Runes before today if they knew that.  So there's probably no perfect solution.

Anyway, just a thought.

I'd rather have gold or gems lol many relics don't take a lot of effort whatsoever to unlock.

32 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

While that is true, doesn't it depend on the severity of the grind?

If the only thing you had to do was complete the story, I don't think anyone would complain.

It's not just doing the story now, I doubt it will be in the future. Let's think about a few scenarios:
- Relic of Nayos f.e. needs you to do the map meta. Not a big deal now when the content is fresh. What about three years from now? What when the encounter bugs out and ANet stops caring about it?
- Relic of Nourys wants you to do 10 Convergences. Easy to do now when everybody is grinding them for AA or the legendary armor. Will it be the hot content everbody does a year from now? Again, what if it bugs out?
- What if a Relic wants you to do a certain story step that used to work on release but then buged out at some point? We know that this happened and we know that ANet has left these instances unfixed for years.
The system we had worked and was future proof. The system they are going for now will not improve things. I'm not complaining about having to play the game. If the game is good, I will play it anyway. That is not the point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

It's not just doing the story now, I doubt it will be in the future. Let's think about a few scenarios:
- Relic of Nayos f.e. needs you to do the map meta. Not a big deal now when the content is fresh. What about three years from now? What when the encounter bugs out and ANet stops caring about it?
- Relic of Nourys wants you to do 10 Convergences. Easy to do now when everybody is grinding them for AA or the legendary armor. Will it be the hot content everbody does a year from now? Again, what if it bugs out?
- What if a Relic wants you to do a certain story step that used to work on release but then buged out at some point? We know that this happened and we know that ANet has left these instances unfixed for years.
The system we had worked and was future proof. The system they are going for now will not improve things. I'm not complaining about having to play the game. If the game is good, I will play it anyway. That is not the point.

I think that part of the point of tying new relics to content is to prevent that content from becoming obsolete or unplayed. The relic unlocks may not keep that content as fully populated as it will be at release but it may make it easier to find or make groups and justify maintenance of the content.

Ot at least that is what I think ANet is hoping for. Prolonged relevance of content.

Not saying that I agree or approve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

27 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I think that part of the point of tying new relics to content is to prevent that content from becoming obsolete or unplayed. The relic unlocks may not keep that content as fully populated as it will be at release but it may make it easier to find or make groups and justify maintenance of the content.

Ot at least that is what I think ANet is hoping for. Prolonged relevance of content.

Not saying that I agree or approve.

I mean, if it keeps stuff populated and maintained that's at least something. However, I prefered if content was populated because it's engaging, maintained because ANet cared and if legendaries stayed legendary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, leila.7962 said:

The discussion was already over when they stated that people would have to work for it and that you would earn progress based on the amount of legendary runes that the player had.. It seemed a fair solution that would keep players engaged and working on their progress towards the legendary relic.. But now it seems they are just going against the goal of making people do their contents lol . Sometimes it feels like Anet loves to stir the pot ..

Nah, they have just decided they prefer to go from one time high investment model into a starting low cost followed by subscription one.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

52 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I think that part of the point of tying new relics to content is to prevent that content from becoming obsolete or unplayed.

If a content becomes obsolete and unplayed, there are likely some very good reasons for that, tied to its initial design. Adding gear grind would not make that content better, it would only camouflage the real issues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

That's actually a very good example why this design is bad. Convergences on its own are not a good content. Their only use is for Legendary Armor. Pushing people to do a content like that 10 times just to unlock a relic is ridiculous. I'd really hope that if a content will be used in the future for such an unlock,it will at least be profitable for everyone, instead of being useful only for a small group of players, and only for limited time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3