Obsidian Armor Skin Feedback

Now that we can preview them in game on our characters how are people feeling about the Obsidian armor skins?

I was interested in crafting the medium set until I previewed the chest piece and saw the ridiculous collar.
On top of looking silly it also has pretty bad clipping with most male human long hairs (I'm sure it has similar issues with other race/gender combos). I'm genuinely curious if anyone likes the look of these new sets?

https://imgur.com/a/S0AFa4f

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Eugenides.1274 said:

Now that we can preview them in game on our characters how are people feeling about the Obsidian armor skins?

I was interested in crafting the medium set until I previewed the chest piece and saw the ridiculous collar.
On top of looking silly it also has pretty bad clipping with most male human long hairs (I'm sure it has similar issues with other race/gender combos). I'm genuinely curious if anyone likes the look of these new sets?

https://imgur.com/a/S0AFa4f

Have you checked the meta race?

Everyone knows all armors are made for human female then just streched for everyone else.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Clipping has always been a problem in GW2 but yikes yeah that's a big oversight. I hope they fix some of the hairs to rig better with the skins so it isn't that blatant.

I dunno tho, Charr have had it bad for a long while with the horns and tails curse so in before "welcome to my world" sentiment I guess?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Light is in the middle for me. I really like shoulders and gloves, rest is okaish but not terrible.

Heavy is not my part of a cake.

Medium I adore most parts. Especially collar part on chest xd . Leggings are sweet, gloves and boots very good. Shoulders are okayish, and helmet is terrible.

But all speaking from charr main perspective.

• Like 3

I know it's heavy armor and all but all the parts are bulky and deformy on my male hume and well... honestly not very sexy. Probably just settle for WvW for stat swap unless there's a huge lower price difference in PvE one. Other two idc about since already have leggy sets for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, the Light Set is the only one that looks like its original concept (see Concept Art).

The realization of the Medium and the Heavy Set is plain awful. All the elements look clunky (almost cartoonish, like WoW), and on top of that, the proportions are totally off.  Examples:

• superfat hips and legs in the heavy set, in stark contrast to a slender waist, and a visibly shrinked chest piece and helmet (see direct comparison)
  • oversized shoulder pieces in the medium set (unlike their decent size in this cool drawing)

I am super sad, because now I don't know what to do with all the items of a 99.9% finished Heavy Obsidian Armor collection (I was merely after the skin, as it looked in the concept art).

What a waste of gold and material resources (and time).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sadly, the Light Set is the only one that looks like its original concept (see Concept Art).

The realization of the Medium and the Heavy Set is plain awful. All the elements look clunky (almost cartoonish, like WoW), and on top of that, the proportions are totally off.  Examples:

• superfat hips and legs in the heavy set, in stark contrast to a slender waist, and a visibly shrinked chest piece and helmet (see direct comparison)
  • oversized shoulder pieces in the medium set (unlike their decent size in this cool drawing)

I am super sad, because now I don't know what to do with all the items of a 99.9% finished Heavy Obsidian Armor collection (I was merely after the skin, as it looked in the concept art).

Never in the history of anything has the final product ever looked exactly like the concept art.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

perfect analysis.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Does anyone know if the armors suffer from "sylvari with huge shouldersand  huge calves" syndrome?

Also, if things won't get fixed in the next ~ten days, they maybe get fixed with tier2 release. If things don't get fixed then, experience says issues will remain.

7 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

Does anyone know if the armors suffer from "sylvari with huge shouldersand  huge calves" syndrome?

Also, if things won't get fixed in the next ~ten days, they maybe get fixed with tier2 release. If things don't get fixed then, experience says issues will remain.

Your armor is only as fat as you make your character. So much for 'thicc thighs save lives' amirite?

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Never in the history of anything has the final product ever looked exactly like the concept art.

Well, then they should have published images of the actual thing on SotO release instead of the concept art! It would have saved many of us the hassle.

7 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

perfect analysis.

Thank you. The whole ordeal is truly disappointing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, then they should have published images of the actual thing on SotO release instead of the concept art! It would have saved many of us the hassle.

But then you wouldn't have bought the expansion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

Just now, Zera.9435 said:

But then you wouldn't have bought the expansion.

I didn't buy the expansion because of the Obsidian Armor! 😂 My account has been fully legendary for a while. I bought it because (so I thought, at least) "New content, yay!"

If they had to trick people into buying the expansion by releasing inaccurate images of the Obsidian Armor, that would be a pretty cheap move. I don't think they screwed the armor up on purpose, I think the people responsible for the realization of the medium and the heavy set from concept art to in-game armor just did a lousy job.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I didn't buy the expansion because of the Obsidian Armor! 😂 My account has been fully legendary for a while. I bought it because (so I thought, at least) "New content, yay!"

If they had to trick people into buying the expansion by releasing inaccurate images of the Obsidian Armor, that would be a pretty cheap move. I don't think they screwed the armor up on purpose, I think the people responsible for the realization of the medium and the heavy set from concept art to in-game armor just did a lousy job.

Have you considered that the concept art is just a baseline idea, and was never meant to be an exact 1:1 comparison? There is only so much the game engine can do from a computational and rendering standpoint The concept art showcases textures and lighting that are not possible in the game's engine.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Zera.9435 said:

Have you considered that the concept art is just a baseline idea, and was never meant to be an exact 1:1 comparison? There is only so much the game engine can do from a computational and rendering standpoint The concept art showcases textures and lighting that are not possible in the game's engine.

That's why we have some truly beautiful Gem Store armor sets and outfits -- because "the engine is limited in what it can do." Oh boy... Yes, blame the engine for completely screwing up the proportions of the heavy and medium sets! 🤣

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 5