Obsidian Armor Skin Feedback

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's why we have some truly beautiful Gem Store armor sets and outfits -- because "the engine is limited in what it can do." Oh boy... Yes, blame the engine for completely screwing up the proportions of the heavy and medium sets! 🤣

Ok, let's pretend for a second that they purposely kittened up the proportions so bad that compared to the concept art, it looks like the kittening 'dis is de wei' meme, all in an effort just to annoy you specifically. What do you propose they do about it? I fail to see the horrendous proportions you're crying about. The armor looks fine. Not great, not terrible. It's not meant to be liked by everyone. No matter how this armor turned out, there will always be someone doing what you're doing right now: being a kittening Karen over the most minuscule details of appearance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sadly, the Light Set is the only one that looks like its original concept (see Concept Art).

The realization of the Medium and the Heavy Set is plain awful. All the elements look clunky (almost cartoonish, like WoW), and on top of that, the proportions are totally off.  Examples:

• superfat hips and legs in the heavy set, in stark contrast to a slender waist, and a visibly shrinked chest piece and helmet (see direct comparison)
  • oversized shoulder pieces in the medium set (unlike their decent size in this cool drawing)

I am super sad, because now I don't know what to do with all the items of a 99.9% finished Heavy Obsidian Armor collection (I was merely after the skin, as it looked in the concept art).

What a waste of gold and material resources (and time).

No idea what you're talking about. The concept art translated quite nicely into what we have in-game: sleek and elegant. Is it an exact rendition of the concept art, down to proportions (which are different based on whatever body style/race you choose)? No. Is it extremely similar? Yes. I love the look of all three armor weights, and I'm happy that the medium and heavy armor actually look nice. Your opinions are your own. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The realization of the Medium and the Heavy Set is plain awful. All the elements look clunky

At least for the medium armor this is nonsense and not true.

21 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

No idea what you're talking about. The concept art translated quite nicely into what we have in-game: sleek and elegant. Is it an exact rendition of the concept art, down to proportions (which are different based on whatever body style/race you choose)? No. Is it extremely similar? Yes. I love the look of all three armor weights, and I'm happy that the medium and heavy armor actually look nice. Your opinions are your own. 🤷‍♀️

I agree. I crafted the medium armor just for the skin and I must say that it looks amazing on my characters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's why we have some truly beautiful Gem Store armor sets and outfits -- because "the engine is limited in what it can do." Oh boy... Yes, blame the engine for completely screwing up the proportions of the heavy and medium sets! 🤣

The proportions of the released armor are better. The proportions of the concept art were screwed up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

https://imgur.com/a/Yk5KMCx

I am not going to debate but only give my opinion.

Having made the medium armor, and being rather happy, there are however two major concerns.

The first is the helmet (which I'm not wearing at the moment because I find it a failure):
- This one is too tight at the cheeks and therefore contrary to the concept art which gives it a bit of a "grandmother's scarf" look. It should fall more like the hood in the concept art
- There is no detail on the top of the hood unlike the concept art. In addition, the details on the mask are much coarser than expected, particularly at the chin where the plate part is much wider than expected.

The second concerns the coloring of the torso and pants:
- The torso: the coloring of the leather bands is shared with the main parts of the torso (in pink and green on the screen). They should have their own color.
- The pants The dagger sheaths share the same coloring as the base of the pants.

Edited by Merrow.3564
  • Like 2

I made the light female human set for my Mesmer.  I have to say when I saw the preview I was very disappointed because I do not like leggings on light armor females.  After actually making it a wearing if for a while it has grown on me.  The lack of animations however is a real let down, especially for something that took so long to make and was quite expensive.  I'm hoping that will be fixed when T2 is released.  I would love an option to make a "lighter" skirt version in T2 as well, but that may be asking too much.

https://postimg.cc/3kLSDJ7N

1 hour ago, SRoode.7318 said:

I made the light female human set for my Mesmer.  I have to say when I saw the preview I was very disappointed because I do not like leggings on light armor females.  After actually making it a wearing if for a while it has grown on me.  The lack of animations however is a real let down, especially for something that took so long to make and was quite expensive.  I'm hoping that will be fixed when T2 is released.  I would love an option to make a "lighter" skirt version in T2 as well, but that may be asking too much.

https://postimg.cc/3kLSDJ7N

Well since they did not say it would have any animations at all the lack of them should not come as a suprise

• Like 3

Preview of the heavy set on my human male guardian, shows up that the helmet is not to the scale of the rest of the set. Everything else is very bulky, which I can deal with, but helmet is comically small when put next to the rest. As a matter of fact, comparatively to bare head size of that character, the helmet feels like something that would not be able to physically fit onto said head, regardless of how thin it would be made. This issue is less noticeable on human female character, due to the fact that female rendition of the main armor is much less bulky in the first place, but the helmet is still unfeasibly small. It'd have to be made of sheep paper and be worn over shaved clean head to fit as it is.

The medium helmet also feels tad too tightly wrapped to look good (this time in reverse, it is more starkly visible on females than males).

I was not expecting any animations considering how much manpower it took last time and what the reception was.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Preview of the heavy set on my human male guardian, shows up that the helmet is not to the scale of the rest of the set. Everything else is very bulky, which I can deal with, but helmet is comically small when put next to the rest. As a matter of fact, comparatively to bare head size of that character, the helmet feels like something that would not be able to physically fit onto said head, regardless of how thin it would be made. This issue is less noticeable on human female character, due to the fact that female rendition of the main armor is much less bulky in the first place, but the helmet is still unfeasibly small. It'd have to be made of sheep paper and be worn over shaved clean head to fit as it is.

The medium helmet also feels tad too tightly wrapped to look good (this time in reverse, it is more starkly visible on females than males).

I was not expecting any animations considering how much manpower it took last time and what the reception was.

This reminds me of people complaining about how unrealistic skimpy armor is. So this heavy armor is bulky looking, meaning there is padding and plating to protect the wearer, so it's a little more realistic. Of course the head is going to look small compared to the rest. To me the proportions around the head don't look too far off from Russell Crowe's Maximus armor at the opening scene of Gladiator: huge bulky shoulders and broad chest piece.  Could it have been done better? Probably. Is it so horrendous that it warrants calling it garbage? No.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

This reminds me of people complaining about how unrealistic skimpy armor is. So this heavy armor is bulky looking, meaning there is padding and plating to protect the wearer, so it's a little more realistic. Of course the head is going to look small compared to the rest. To me the proportions around the head don't look too far off from Russell Crowe's Maximus armor at the opening scene of Gladiator: huge bulky shoulders and broad chest piece.

That would be fair argument if not for the fact, that helmet should also have it's thickness and padding underneath. Now this may depend on the body types and stuff, but full set on my guardian does not anyhow resembles anything from Gladiator movie, the difference is simply to stark. And just swapping the helmet for let's say, primeval already makes the whole look much better. And as I have mentioned, comparing to bare head, the heavy helmet on both male and female is simply too small to fit onto the head it is placed over. Which is shame, because based of the previews heavy helmet was in particular the piece I was looking forward integrating onto my guardian fashion.

20 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Could it have been done better? Probably. Is it so horrendous that it warrants calling it garbage? No.

I have not called it garbage tho. All I did was expressing feedback on the general proportions of the armor in a thread called obsidian armor skin feedback. And if the issues of proportions were amended, both obsidian heavy and medium would have very likely be the most favourite sets of mine to use. With those issues I just need to supplant helmets with something else for it to look good as a whole.

EDIT: since I am at home rn I thought I could just as well provide the pictures representing my issue with human male heavy set:

Full set in preview: https://imgur.com/a/Q4iP9ZR
Swapped helmet for primeval to show helmet size difference: https://imgur.com/a/EV8wCqg
Used the random glasses to showcase the actual head underneath and it's proportions: https://imgur.com/a/ojwjQcx

Now for reference, I think it looks slightly better if I replace the shoulderpieces with something less bulky (this camouflages the proportion contrast between very bulky shoulders and negative bulk of the helmet: https://imgur.com/a/cf4Fdbt

But even that last variation looks more natural if I swap obsidian helmet for primeval: https://imgur.com/a/3lmnNmG

Edited by Lord Trejgon.2809
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:30 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Well since they did not say it would have any animations at all the lack of them should not come as a suprise

Expecting animations was already extremely unrealistic - we already know Anet simply does not want to make another such set after Envoy, due to it requiring way too much effort. Still, it doesn't mean we should not have expcted anything. They did mention the SFX effects that the armor was supposed to have (charging with magic while in combat) and set the extectations then.

Of course that was before they even mentioned there will be two versions, but still...

(honestly, the whole legendary reveal is a history of setting expectations high and then trying to tone them down with each future mention, in order to deliver even less than that in the end)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

On 2/28/2024 at 8:09 AM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I am completely surprised that each obsidian armor piece does not have 4 dye channels.

Or at least 3 if they are keeping one for the Tier 2 version of the armor. 
I only have the light armor, so I can't say for the others, but it was really disappointing to find out the shoulder pads only had 2 dye channels and used the same for parts of different materials: the "frills" and the main metallic part. 

I really like the designs of the Obsidian armors. In terms of general appearance, I like them more than other legendary armors. However, there are a couple of things that I'm disappointed with. First, they don't really feel legendary. Perfected Envoy armors have animations. Mistforged armors have glows. Obsidian armors just feel like regular armors by comparison. Second, Obsidian armors don't really fit half of the professions. The heavy armor looks good on warriors, but it needs some magical touch-ups to fit guardians and revenants. The medium armor looks good on thieves and rangers, but those blades and knives don't really fit engineers. The light armor looks good on mesmers and elementalists, but it looks too elegant for necromancers.

4 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

I really like the designs of the Obsidian armors. In terms of general appearance, I like them more than other legendary armors. However, there are a couple of things that I'm disappointed with. First, they don't really feel legendary. Perfected Envoy armors have animations. Mistforged armors have glows. Obsidian armors just feel like regular armors by comparison. Second, Obsidian armors don't really fit half of the professions. The heavy armor looks good on warriors, but it needs some magical touch-ups to fit guardians and revenants. The medium armor looks good on thieves and rangers, but those blades and knives don't really fit engineers. The light armor looks good on mesmers and elementalists, but it looks too elegant for necromancers.

Hopefully t2 will address some of these concerns.  I agree engineers are generally unlikely to be festooned with stabby bits (and those hooks sticking out aren't great for thieves shimmying through windows or rangers wading through underbrush).  But on behalf of my very nice cheerful people-person necromancer who is a talented tailor, I have to object to saying necromancers can't be elegant.  Necromancy isn't evil in Tyria, it's just another magic source.  Would you say a mortician couldn't wear a tux or ballgown?  Harrumph.

• Like 1