Passion has gone my friends [Merged]

14 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

I would even go further and say gw2 is adopting a lot of typical mobile gaming practices like battlepass, timegated resource farms, oversimplified class system (well like you know when you pick up a mobile game and pick a character it doesnt really matter which one you pick, the skills are similar, the dps is similar, the only thing that stands out is basically the "skin" of a class), constant "supersales" (that basically is focused on getting gold/gem prices to rise and push players to spend real money on gem store instead of farming gold), etc.

Well GW2 always felt a little mobile/gatcha-ish with the gemstore, BLCs, and timegated farming. It is just feeling moreso with the the "not-battlepass", gem sales, and the reduction of classes to superficial aesthetic variations on DPS+. I also would volunteer comparison to Dynasty Warriors, which I think accurately depicts the narrowing of gameplay down to kitten-easy DPS spectacle.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/23/2024 at 12:39 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

I think you and I have very different ideas of what grind is.  I'm not running the same dungeons and raids over and over to get gear here. I'm playing the next content, pretty much in it's entirety. I do the new story I get some mastery points. I wander around the zone, I get some mastery points. I do some achievements I get some mastery points. There are very few masteries by percentage you need to play the game, and if you don't want them you don't have to get them, or you don't have to get them fast. 

As an example, I can play EoD without having the turtle. I can take my time getting it. Same with most of the skiff masteries in my opinion. And not everyone will care about fishing. You choose the masteries you want, and get only the masteries you need. And when you run metas later on, you get experience. But I'm running the metas anyone sometimes.

I have alt accounts that have leveled their masteries in EoD by just doing one HP a day, and never moving off it. It gives me a bit of currency a bit of experience and I'm done with all the masteries I need now.

Grinding originally meant to do something repetitive. but grinding out experience, particularly if you use buffs and know what you're doing is pretty fast and, for the most part, not required. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:59 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

What grind do I need to do catch up to others gear wise when I'm still running my level 80 Berserker Ascended Gear with Scholar Runes to catch up to the gear people are running today? Yeah, nothing.

You don't need catch mechanics when there is no need to catch up to others when you don't play for a bit.

My initial post was a bit over the top.

I was talking specifically for masteries and more specifically for mastery xp. I semi agree with Vayne, maybe grind is a bit too harsh here as there are a lot of activities you can do to get them. It's still a long way for a new account. I started with Pof and the whole mastery thing felt a huge ordeal. Just as much if not more to catch up in vertical games like wow. It didn't gatekeep content as much as in vertical games but it still did to some extent. Often I felt I wanted to move on, had enough of  that specific content (especially because I get bored of ow content fast) but had a big chunk of xp in front of me. Also I like to do stuff in order (I did Hot without stepping in Pof for example).

When I caught up it didnt feel as grindy anymore though. Although Soto is mostly OW content and it was a slog for me at some point. But Soto masteries are mostly useless anyway.

The good thing in wow was that I could do any content to lvl up even gear up to an extent. I could do battlegrounds, dungeons. Here, for mastery xp you're stuck with that expansion or LS and whatever is available in that scope. Maybe that's one thing Anet could change for the future. Just allow players to get mastery xp in any content they like.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I was talking specifically for masteries and more specifically for mastery xp. I semi agree with Vayne, maybe grind is a bit too harsh here as there are a lot of activities you can do to get them. It's still a long way for a new account. I started with Pof and the whole mastery thing felt a huge ordeal. Just as much if not more to catch up in vertical games like wow. It didn't gatekeep content as much as in vertical games but it still did to some extent. Often I felt I wanted to move on, had enough of  that specific content (especially because I get bored of ow content fast) but had a big chunk of xp in front of me. Also I like to do stuff in order (I did Hot without stepping in Pof for example).

When I caught up it didnt feel as grindy anymore though. Although Soto is mostly OW content and it was a slog for me at some point. But Soto masteries are mostly useless anyway.

The good thing in wow was that I could do any content to lvl up even gear up to an extent. I could do battlegrounds, dungeons. Here, for mastery xp you're stuck with that expansion or LS and whatever is available in that scope. Maybe that's one thing Anet could change for the future. Just allow players to get mastery xp in any content they like.

I have 18 accounts. I have the masteries I need on the 12 that I've played more. It required very little work for me to get it.  That's my point.

There are masteries I don't have as well. I don't have a turtle on anything but my first two accounts. It doesn't make my game much worse, tbh. I don't think I've maxed out skiff on every account either. Or fishing. But I have maxed out Jade Bots on the accounts that have EoD. 

You just pick and choose and get the rest while you play. You don't have to have it all to enjoy the game.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 10:55 PM, Gwynnion.7364 said:

I have no idea where their resources are going but they obviously need GW2 to keep making money in the meantime.

This hits the nail on the head. All those QoL updates we have seen in the last year is to make the game more comfy to play while not providing any substantial, good new content. They don't even care about UI bugs anymore that hit you straight in the face (like each time you interact with the bank for the first time after logging in, which produces a big error message on-screen, but only for a split second, wo who cares? 😉). It is obvious that the game has been reduced to a source of income rather than the fun classic MMORPG experience it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

This hits the nail on the head. All those QoL updates we have seen in the last year is to make the game more comfy to play while not providing any substantial, good new content. They don't even care about UI bugs anymore that hit you straight in the face (like each time you interact with the bank for the first time after logging in, which produces a big error message on-screen, but only for a split second, wo who cares? 😉). It is obvious that the game has been reduced to a source of income rather than the fun classic MMORPG experience it used to be.

Ive never seen that bank access bug.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I have 18 accounts. I have the masteries I need on the 12 that I've played more. It required very little work for me to get it.  That's my point.

There are masteries I don't have as well. I don't have a turtle on anything but my first two accounts. It doesn't make my game much worse, tbh. I don't think I've maxed out skiff on every account either. Or fishing. But I have maxed out Jade Bots on the accounts that have EoD. 

You just pick and choose and get the rest while you play. You don't have to have it all to enjoy the game.

My initial post was an answer to "be glad that you don't play vertical game where you have to lvl up and gear every expansion". My answer was merely an explanation how gw2 have very similar progression to that in form of masteries and some of them are also gatekeeping some of the content (for example some raid encounters require specific masteries, which are actually quite late masteries). And how wow has always taken measures to squish the past requirements (remove raid atunements, squish lvls, catch up gear in late patches, completely new lvling paths) so it doesn't become too much. 

Personally I expect lvling up in a rpg and am fine with the systems in place. I would just be careful it doesn't become too big for low gains. I have always managed to have several characters up to date either for raids or pvp in wow and it wasn't much of a hassle if you have a guild with which to play. Sometimes it even felt I have more freedom to progress than in gw2.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

My initial post was an answer to "be glad that you don't play vertical game where you have to lvl up and gear every expansion". My answer was merely an explanation how gw2 have very similar progression to that in form of masteries and some of them are also gatekeeping some of the content (for example some raid encounters require specific masteries, which are actually quite late masteries).

Your post wasn't really an explanation, you were asked what grind you were talking about (when you said "There are very limited catch up mechanics for masteries in gw2. You more or less have to do the whole grind.") and you simply didn't elaborate on that at all. Now it's clear why you didn't -and it's because you know what you wrote was incorrect:

6 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

There are catch up mechanics and you can selectively level the masteries you want or need in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

My initial post was an answer to "be glad that you don't play vertical game where you have to lvl up and gear every expansion". My answer was merely an explanation how gw2 have very similar progression to that in form of masteries and some of them are also gatekeeping some of the content (for example some raid encounters require specific masteries, which are actually quite late masteries). And how wow has always taken measures to squish the past requirements (remove raid atunements, squish lvls, catch up gear in late patches, completely new lvling paths) so it doesn't become too much. 

Personally I expect lvling up in a rpg and am fine with the systems in place. I would just be careful it doesn't become too big for low gains. I have always managed to have several characters up to date either for raids or pvp in wow and it wasn't much of a hassle if you have a guild with which to play. Sometimes it even felt I have more freedom to progress than in gw2.

The other part of that answer is that when you're leveling up and you have a lot of alts you have to level every one of them, but masteries are account wide.  That's a big difference between this game and what others do.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 5:30 PM, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

They working hard on GEMstore skins because the more skins the more money. They ignore other things what players want (maybe because there is no budget for) new races, classes, specs, pvp, wvw (bug free), raids or what players all want. 

gemstore skins are just skins without to have to programming mechanics like a raid. So i think its just a fast money grab. 

but why should they? If the players are addicted to the game and keep spending and your business stay healthy. Then milk it. 
normally company’s only change when numbers of players going drastically down. If that wont happen then you keep mostly gemstore content. 

ppl always say stop buying the game. Like call of duty. Then it maybe gets better. 

funny thing is even gemstore items have slow downed;)

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

They don't even care about UI bugs anymore that hit you straight in the face (like each time you interact with the bank for the first time after logging in, which produces a big error message on-screen, but only for a split second, wo who cares? 😉)

This might be an issue on your side, I don't get any errors when opening bank.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have not played much these past two weeks, but I just went to test this, and guess what?😱 The bug has been fixed. 😄👍

Pretty sure I never had the bug you mentioned here, not just during last 2 weeks, but glad it's fixed now 😉 

• Confused 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Pretty sure I never had the bug you mentioned here

Good for you, I encountered it daily.

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

but glad it's fixed now 😉 

No need for sarcasm, I didn't make it up. :classic_rolleyes: Edit: It was the Portable Trading Post, by th way, not the Bank. My mistake.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 3

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Good for you, I encountered it daily.

No need for sarcasm, I didn't make it up. :classic_rolleyes:

I'm not saying you made it up, like in the initial response, I'm saying "This might be an issue on your side"
You probably at least should have made a thread in bug subforum about it, but I guess it's better to never mention it before using it as a "they don't even care" narrative driver instead 😉

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I did a month ago:

In that case, good (I was looking for "bank" in the bug thread titles). Although if it was both for bank and merchants, chances are more people would pile in on that thread because it wouldn't really be an obscure issue. Anyhow, glad it's fixed now, still didn't encounter that.

Edited by Sobx.1758

Anyone else feel this way?

I was grinding all the story metas for the legendary amulet, and ive kinda lost all my motivation to keep going due to gw3 coming out. I know im likely falling victim to a sunk cost fallacy or something similar, but i cant shake it from my brain

Gw3 news just makes me feel like gw2 isnt worth my time and i dont know why, i was having lots of fun before the news and now... Meh

Anyone have any tips to get over this weird behavior? The solution is probably just to go outside more but who knows.

I keep telling myself itll be 5 years until gw3 anyway... But that doesnt seem to work

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Legend Sully.1568 said:

Anyone have any tips to get over this weird behavior? The solution is probably just to go outside more but who knows.

I keep telling myself itll be 5 years until gw3 anyway... But that doesnt seem to work

It's not 5 years. It's:

- get out of preproduction without getting cancelled

- get actually developed completely (a lot of projects die during development, even from far bigger studios. Think Overwatch)

- have the studio survive that long to finish the game, aka given their only revenue is GW2, not tank that revenue completely

- now it's 5 years or more (or less but certainly not below 3)

- GW3 then needs to actually be good (how many MMORPGs launch to just fail? How many remain niche even if they succeed?)

- and then Arenanet/NCSoft need to pull the plug on GW2

So while I understand your frustration, even with a confirmation of GW3 and so many players projecting so many unreasomable expectation onto it, it's a coin toss of this actually coming to fruition.

Here is what you should be concerned about: the next mini expansion announcement and it (the expansion) being of low quality, because that's going to have a far greater effect on your enjoyment.

That said, only play if you are enjoying yourself. There is nothing wrong with taking it easy or even a break.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Reposting this, even though I know this thread is gonna get merged into the main GW3 thread:

Business Post Korea’s article this evening includes a quote from NCsoft issued after the meeting; NCsoft says, “The Guild Wars 3 project is in the review stage and the start of development has not been finalized.” (Cheers, Wccftech!) ArenaNet itself gave a similar non-denial to MMORPG.com, saying, “”As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The team’s focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the game’s next expansion, which we’re excited to talk about soon.”

https://massivelyop.com/2024/03/28/hostile-ncsoft-shareholder-meeting-reveals-arenanet-is-working-on-guild-wars-3/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3