idea: legendary gathering tools

legendary gathering tools for the legendary armory with basic skin and no extra effect and two slots, one for a skin (like a chicken thats gathering for you) and one for a glyph/ special effect like gather everything around you or get extra leather and stuff. 

and a way to integrate existing unlimited tools into the process of making the legy or sell them for gems or something..

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I believe this would upset a lot of people, because the existing implementation of gathering tools has been around for so long that quite a few players have purchased many of them. ANet would never refund them, either (as you suggested by Gems), but... perhaps we could then salvage them into 1,000 Research Notes each? 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Legendary armor/weapons don't provide free access to all runes/sigils, so I don't see the reason why legendary tools would provide free access to glyphs. The main difference between infinite gathering tools and legendary ones would probably be just ability to slot them on all characters on the account at the same time. But if anet is able to sell multiple sets of infinite gathering tools to players then that's probably not happening for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

In what way is this significantly different from existing infinite gathering tools other than reskinning freely? Do you for the legendaries to have free access to all glyphs?

It's about the account-wide usability, I take it. The current system encourages players to purchase more than one set, and I believe that's what the OP dislikes about it.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The current system encourages players to purchase more than one set, and I believe that's what the OP dislikes about it.

Or use shared inventory slots which has been suggested in many other threads on infinite gathering tools.  /shrug

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I believe this would upset a lot of people, because the existing implementation of gathering tools has been around for so long that quite a few players have purchased many of them. ANet would never refund them, either (as you suggested by Gems), but... perhaps we could then salvage them into 1,000 Research Notes each? 😄

To be fair:

1. All of those tools are effectively skins, so there is still value in paying gems for them for the unique animations.

2. Although the price is high, a lot of pricing of game features varies depending on release and demand. Features which were just released will have a pre-order, "get-it-now", "new release", or "limited release" price, which we see in newly released mount skins or other new gemstore items. As the items age, their prices go down because the novelty or early-use utility has worn off and now they just want to find a new price point to encourage the less motivated players to purchase.

Taken in combination, I think players having had access to unlimited gathering tools for literally years more than justified the higher gemstore price point, no more than, say, purchasers of Heavensward or Stormblood in FFXIV now being frustrated that those expansions are now free to play, or Civ VI purchasers being mad that the complete edition now goes on sale for 90% off.

In-game obtainable legendary gathering tools would absolutely work, and players whinging about gemstore purchases would not have much ground to stand on, especially if in the transition to gemstore skins they were allowed to keep their legendary tools like what just happened with legendary runes/relics. Combined with a substantial decrease in price for the gemstore items, which now would just be skins, I think it would be a very logical expansion on the legendary armory system that brings systems more in line with each other and removes a rather stupid and exploitative aspect of the gemstore.

Edit: wow, people really are against this. The sunk cost stockholm syndrome is real with this playerbase.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's about the account-wide usability, I take it. The current system encourages players to purchase more than one set, and I believe that's what the OP dislikes about it.

Got it. I guess it could be useful then. I keep mine in shared inventory slots with cheap tools slotted on each character so that switching is quick. Not account wide use would be enough fo drive people to the legendary process.

• Confused 2

I… I can’t… the audacity… the entitlement… I know that this is just a video game, with no real consequence on the real world, but frankly this is just another example of why the idea of the slippery slope is not now nor has it ever been a fallacy 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Or a Permanent Bank Access Express. 😉 

Now we're just stacking additional actions on top of additional actions for something that's primarily supposed to be a convenience purchase. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Desel.5730 said:

legendary gathering tools for the legendary armory with basic skin and no extra effect and two slots, one for a skin (like a chicken thats gathering for you) and one for a glyph/ special effect like gather everything around you or get extra leather and stuff. 

and a way to integrate existing unlimited tools into the process of making the legy or sell them for gems or something..

No.

• Confused 1

This has been suggested before and no.

Just out of curiosity, though, what sort of compensation would you offer to players, like myself, who bought an unlimited set of gathering tools for all of their characters?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Desel.5730 said:

legendary armory for tools yes pls, looks simple enough

• Like 1

I think legendary gathering tools is a bit overkill.  I would still like a way to share my unbreakable tools across all chars on my account.  I would love to see them add an account-based set of gathering tool slots next to the existing slots.  On each char you could switch between the char-based and account-based slots. 

The account-based slots could be a gem store purchase.  I have one set of unbreakable tools and have no intention to by another set.  The account-based slots is something I would spend gems on.  We've seen plenty of people say they would have bought multiple sets of tools anyway because they wanted different looks/effects for different chars.  I don't think anyone can say for sure exactly what this would do to purchases of unbreakable tools. 

I'm currently doing the shared slots method.  For people who ALWAYS remember to swap the tools that's great for them.  I don't and I never will.  That's just not how my brain works.  Sometimes I forget to put the tools back in shared inventory.  Sometimes I do and the next time I do gathering I've done several nodes before I realize I'm not using my unbreakable tools.

This is just a suggestion.  I would love to see it happen.  I not holding my breath.

39 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Just out of curiosity, though, what sort of compensation would you offer to players, like myself, who bought an unlimited set of gathering tools for all of their characters?

That would depend.  Did you just buy all of those sets the day before the new feature was released or did you have them for years?  I think we all know how ANET's tends to deal with this in either case.

Edited by Bollocks.4078
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

That would depend.  Did you just buy all of those sets the day before the new feature was released or did you have them for years?  I think we all know how ANET's tends to deal with this in either case.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. But as I said it's been suggested before and I'm against it and I doubt Anet will do this because it's something they probably make good money from in their gemstore.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Nothing, just like when people complained when they made the tools account bound. It's your choice to make the legendary, so there's no need for compensation. If they actually did legendary tools, expect them to require salvaging infinite tools for a component that could be traded, and multiple would be needed per legendary.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

... If they actually did legendary tools, expect them to require salvaging infinite tools for a component that could be traded, and multiple would be needed per legendary.

There's no way it would work like that.    

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Now we're just stacking additional actions on top of additional actions for something that's primarily supposed to be a convenience purchase. 😉 

That is why most people buy several sets of gathering tools. Using Shared Inventory Slots takes just as long as using the Permanent Bank Access, and neither is as convenient as having a set equipped on each character.

• Confused 5

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That is why most people buy several sets of gathering tools. Using Shared Inventory Slots takes just as long as using the Permanent Bank Access, and neither is as convenient as having a set equipped on each character.

As far as I know using permanent bank access does take more actions, so it takes longer. Hence the mention of "stacking additional actions (putting tools into the bank) on top of additional actions (swapping out tools)".
If they're somehow supposed to take the same number of actions and time then I'll need an explanation how. 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

As far as I know using permanent bank access does take more actions, so it takes longer.

No, it takes just one double-click, which takes a split second. If you own one, it is a lot more conventient than wasting your expensive Shared Inventory Slots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

25 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, it takes just one double-click, which takes a split second. If you own one, it is a lot more conventient than wasting your expensive Shared Inventory Slots.

It doesn't take one double click, it takes opening bank and putting the tools in, which then you need to take out before equipping on another character. Considering the act of "just double clicking on tools to swap them in/from shared slots", it's a significant increase in number of actions and time -and as a result overal convenienece of doing that. 😄 
(for the sake of clarity: I do own one)

So to sum up:

33 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Using Shared Inventory Slots takes just as long as using the Permanent Bank Access

No, it doesn't, but you're still free to do that if that's what you prefer. For me it's just adding unnecessary additional clicks (3 times more?) to something that's supposed to be convenient, so imo it's a no-go.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That.
I believe you cant double click tools from bank to equip it, you have to move it to your inventory, then double click it, double click again, move back to the bank. That would make it very tedious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It takes 8 double clicks instead of 6 so not  the same.