idea: legendary gathering tools

I like the idea of legendary gathering tools.  I'm all for every single slot in the hero panel having a legendary component.  

The 'precursor' is the unbreakable gathering tools purchased from the shop (or from a BL chest, etc).   Each power that these tools can have, such as bonus volatile magic, can be crafted and each tool could have up to two powers applied.  There would be quite a few powers to craft, so plenty of things for players to go after. 

Note, I am someone that has bought the gem shop tools on multiple accounts so I'm not trying to invalidate their value, only enhance it and give us another grind that provides desired benefits.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Nothing, just like when people complained when they made the tools account bound. It's your choice to make the legendary, so there's no need for compensation. If they actually did legendary tools, expect them to require salvaging infinite tools for a component that could be traded, and multiple would be needed per legendary.

Yeah that's what I thought. Completely bonkers ideas btw. It would be well out of character for Anet to require stuff from the gemstore for making a legendary item. Besides, having multiple actually infinite gathering tools to salvage per legendary item kinda defeats the purpose. I dunno what your endgame is but it's clearly an attempt to bypass something that you don't want to do.

2 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

That.
I believe you cant double click tools from bank to equip it, you have to move it to your inventory, then double click it, double click again, move back to the bank. That would make it very tedious.

You can also put them in shared slots, so you don't have to use the bank.

• Confused 1

What I could see are legendary glyphs. Especially because Arenanet mentioned lately, that all stats for future legendarys will be needed to be unlocked ingame.

But I am afrait the gathering tools themself are a too huge part of their gemstore financing model.

• Like 1

I have the cheap unbreakable ones without skin. Afaik the skins unlock for future use - if you buy one with skin. The unbreakable thing is a gem store thing. Should not be freely available by playing. (Otherwise people that bought stuff from the gem store would be annoyed.)

The only thing where legendary stuff (where you can change things) comes to mind are the glyphs maybe. That probably would have to be very expensive (to create a legendary glyph) - to not get annoyed people that bought multiple copies of expensive glyphs to use on different chars.

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Well, they do sell them in the gemstore as well but you get them in game via AP reward boxes

True. But when you get one, you want to immediately use the stupid thing to get rid of it. Only to discover later that they are needed for some legendaries, so you then end up getting them from the gem store. Uh...story from a friend?

22 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it doesn't

Yes, it does. Whether you drag the tools from their Equipment Slots directly into the open Bank or into Shared Inventory Slots takes equally long, plus the aforementioned split second to open the Bank.

Seriously, no need to lecture someone who's been doing this for years. There really is no need to waste Shared Inventory Slots on this when you have a Permanent Bank Access.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
typo
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, it does. Whether you drag the tools from their Equipment Slots directly into the open Bank or into Shared Inventory Slots takes equally long, plus the aforementioned split second to open the Bank.

Seriously, no need to lecture someone who's been doing this for years. There really is no need to waste Shared Inventory Slots on this when you have a Permanent Bank Access.

(no, it doesn't) When you're using shared inventory slots, you're not dragging anything anywhere, you're just double clicking on the tools in shared slots (whether they're regular "as a placeholder" or infinite ones) and that's all you do for swapping them in or out.

When you log into a character, you open inventory, double click on infinite tools in shared slots, which slots them in and puts the regular "placeholder" tools in the same shared slots.
When you want to log out of the character, you open inventory and double click on regular (used as "placeholder") tools which makes them slot into a character and puts infinite ones in their shared slots.

Dragging the tools around is even less convenient than double clicking them imo. Better idea -which I didn't consider before- is the one Bollocks brought up above. I still think it's slightly worse than the shared inventory double click though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

When you're using shared inventory slots, you're not dragging anything anywhere, you're just double clicking on the tools in shared slots (whether they're regular "as a placeholder" or infinite ones) and that's all you do for swapping them in or out.

When you log into a character, you open inventory, double click on infinite tools in shared slots, which slots them in and puts the regular "placeholder" tools in the same shared slots.
When you want to log out of the character, you open inventory and double click on regular (used as "placeholder") tools which makes them slot into a character and puts infinite ones in their shared slots.

Dragging the tools around is even less convenient than double clicking them imo. Better idea -which I didn't consider before- is the one Bollocks brought up above.

This.

Everyone I know uses this method. It is both quick and easy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

True. But when you get one, you want to immediately use the stupid thing to get rid of it. Only to discover later that they are needed for some legendaries, so you then end up getting them from the gem store. Uh...story from a friend?

That's with a lot of things though. Impatience is catered to by the gemstore. Just hunt more AP and you can get them again. It will take time yes but it's possible in game. Just imagine legendaries taking time...what is the world coming to!! /s Unlimited gathering tools you cannot get in game. They need to be gotten from the gemstore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:49 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

This has been suggested before and no.

Just out of curiosity, though, what sort of compensation would you offer to players, like myself, who bought an unlimited set of gathering tools for all of their characters?

You guys are always worried about compensation. Compensation for easier skyscale. Compensation for 6th rune bonus. Blah blah blah.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 4:39 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Why not just have the game automatically grant all mats in a map when you enter it. That way, there would be no need to mine/harvest them at all and tools would be irrelevant.

Was that your response when they added unbreakable tools? Do you have something similarly snarky and illogical for salvaging kits?

Gathering is the activity. Making the nonsense around it less cumbersome does not change the activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

After your first set, the tools you purchase in the store is just for skins anyways or the glyph inside. When they converted the tools to have glyph slots, they didn't compensate anyone who bought tools with no effect as a bonus glyph. Arenanet should have put glyphs in them all, but they didn't. They still won't put glyphs in the older tools even though they are priced the same as newer ones. Things are just so all over the place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

After your first set, the tools you purchase in the store is just for skins anyways or the glyph inside. 

* Except for some old-timers, who bought multiple before the change.