Ideas, predictions or just fanciful thoughts, where to after SOTO.

I thing we will probably get another expansion in Nayos or the Tower after the current SOTO expansion has ended but after that, what then?   

It’s been a few years since I’ve written on here or laid out  any new map/expansion ideas, hopefully like the last time some will be predictions of things to come.

From the last time, the things I got right-ish I predicted a new mount, frogs that would use their tongues to pull doors open, not quite right but they did give Warclaws the ability to Chain Pull, not that I see it used. I did predict a vertical map lots of flying and gliding, this was after Griffons but before Skyscales were part of the game.  And finally I predicted  warped versions of core maps that you could pass through the veil to reach in selected locations, mine was a play on Shadowman, a deadside version of familiar places but not too far off the mark, and sort of a two for one.

Looking forward these are my ideas for when the current story has run it’s course.

Rise of the Naga Sea Lords

Starting with a small number of island settlement( three or four ) each needing there respective gates protected to bring troops, large eggs, water spouts, rings that if your standing in will sweep you into the water. protect troop transport, mission secure beach landing, fix part of the holo-bridges etc, missions. Over and Under(test out the new mount abilities) Before moving on to a…

Under water city, I know you hate underwater but……this will be mainly be several smaller cavern cities (new kaineng style) connected by passages and lots of flooded areas, boiling water spouts(park turtles over and watch it die), poisoned water(pull blocks to cross), etc.

Boss Battles 

A smaller new boss for the harbour of lions arch to introduce us to the mechanics, large water snake that needs to be held in place, just a few stories of body and head above water splits bubbling toxic poison and minions attacking west beach.

First main boss(giant long snake), above and below water at new islands location, this one will have glowing bouy points that you can attach platforms to. Bring your skimmer up to it then activating will drop you onto a short term holo-platform(mastery) that other fighters can also stand on (needed for breakbar and better dps), turtles under water to lock body in place( if not,  it will move, breaking the platforms) before swapping to skimmer to shoot it from below. Turtle can also stand on tunnel exits(time limit but will erupt if too long) to limit it’s pop up points and reinforcements. Also bubbling water points that if you swim through will like the `skyscale jump point` auto put you in a skimmer (if you have the underwater version unlocked).

Move to large cave system and need to pull large blocks with turtles to collapse wall, enemy can phase through the wall to attack so unpredictable. this is a protect the turtle drivers. And there is also a protected largos defensive centre, this is a circle that allows you to turtle mount even if in combat. 

Second giant boss  will be in the undercity , no water to this one, turtles will need to drag boss instead of anchor him ( grapple boss from turtle then move in the direction needed when it is  stunned ), Skyscales to fly up at weak points to break steam pipes( make it vulnerable to heavy damage)  along a corridor  and fighters keep it damaged and disorientated(breakbar).At the end when it is depleted and rejuvenating to start again, use turtle slam to break the outer edge of glass floor to drop it into lava below(steam room)     

No New Mounts

But underwater missiles for Skimmers aka skyscale fireball when underwater. Limited number, need to surface and wait for it to build up charges before going back under(bubbling water points will do the same).

For Turtles lighting grappling hooks these will be used to chain pull for damaged walls, and the giant boss and when standing on top of an anchor point, for holding one of the world bosses in place to kill it. Can also be used to hold the turtle sized sea drakes(same model but more fish scales and much bigger)  from charging

Story wise

Sighting of dead Largos on Southsun Cove beach, weeks pass then Sayeh al' Rajihd makes it to lions arch gives a dire warning then passes away, leads into lions arch boss, then others of her kind dead on another beach in new location(cantha ??) and ends with a battle with the queen of the southern Naga outpost(possible strike mission) The loss of Soo-Wan as protector of the ocean has had unforeseen consequences, the ocean tribes above and below are unleashed(following expansion is a  floating wooden pirate city with a giant kraken octopus boss battle, ye scurvy dogs).

As a lot of this will reuse skins, and some parts of other bosses(mordremoth cough) it shouldn’t be too costly.

Probably way off the mark, will see how well I did in a few years, what are your thoughts or ideas for story and maps?

• Like 3

I want to see how the visit of Empress Ihn to Divinity's Reach went. I want a new coherent story, now that the story of the dragons has been told. What I don't want, and what might eventually drive me off again is more like SotO, tiny farming maps fed in thirds every few months.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MattDu.7123 said:

I thing we will probably get another expansion in Nayos or the Tower after the current SOTO expansion has ended but after that, what then?   

It’s been a few years since I’ve written on here or laid out  any new map/expansion ideas, hopefully like the last time some will be predictions of things to come.

From the last time, the things I got right-ish I predicted a new mount, frogs that would use their tongues to pull doors open, not quite right but they did give Warclaws the ability to Chain Pull, not that I see it used. I did predict a vertical map lots of flying and gliding, this was after Griffons but before Skyscales were part of the game.  And finally I predicted  warped versions of core maps that you could pass through the veil to reach in selected locations, mine was a play on Shadowman, a deadside version of familiar places but not too far off the mark, and sort of a two for one.

Looking forward these are my ideas for when the current story has run it’s course.

Rise of the Naga Sea Lords

Starting with a small number of island settlement( three or four ) each needing there respective gates protected to bring troops, large eggs, water spouts, rings that if your standing in will sweep you into the water. protect troop transport, mission secure beach landing, fix part of the holo-bridges etc, missions. Over and Under(test out the new mount abilities) Before moving on to a…

Under water city, I know you hate underwater but……this will be mainly be several smaller cavern cities (new kaineng style) connected by passages and lots of flooded areas, boiling water spouts(park turtles over and watch it die), poisoned water(pull blocks to cross), etc.

Boss Battles 

A smaller new boss for the harbour of lions arch to introduce us to the mechanics, large water snake that needs to be held in place, just a few stories of body and head above water splits bubbling toxic poison and minions attacking west beach.

First main boss(giant long snake), above and below water at new islands location, this one will have glowing bouy points that you can attach platforms to. Bring your skimmer up to it then activating will drop you onto a short term holo-platform(mastery) that other fighters can also stand on (needed for breakbar and better dps), turtles under water to lock body in place( if not,  it will move, breaking the platforms) before swapping to skimmer to shoot it from below. Turtle can also stand on tunnel exits(time limit but will erupt if too long) to limit it’s pop up points and reinforcements. Also bubbling water points that if you swim through will like the `skyscale jump point` auto put you in a skimmer (if you have the underwater version unlocked).

Move to large cave system and need to pull large blocks with turtles to collapse wall, enemy can phase through the wall to attack so unpredictable. this is a protect the turtle drivers. And there is also a protected largos defensive centre, this is a circle that allows you to turtle mount even if in combat. 

Second giant boss  will be in the undercity , no water to this one, turtles will need to drag boss instead of anchor him ( grapple boss from turtle then move in the direction needed when it is  stunned ), Skyscales to fly up at weak points to break steam pipes( make it vulnerable to heavy damage)  along a corridor  and fighters keep it damaged and disorientated(breakbar).At the end when it is depleted and rejuvenating to start again, use turtle slam to break the outer edge of glass floor to drop it into lava below(steam room)     

No New Mounts

But underwater missiles for Skimmers aka skyscale fireball when underwater. Limited number, need to surface and wait for it to build up charges before going back under(bubbling water points will do the same).

For Turtles lighting grappling hooks these will be used to chain pull for damaged walls, and the giant boss and when standing on top of an anchor point, for holding one of the world bosses in place to kill it. Can also be used to hold the turtle sized sea drakes(same model but more fish scales and much bigger)  from charging

Story wise

Sighting of dead Largos on Southsun Cove beach, weeks pass then Sayeh al' Rajihd makes it to lions arch gives a dire warning then passes away, leads into lions arch boss, then others of her kind dead on another beach in new location(cantha ??) and ends with a battle with the queen of the southern Naga outpost(possible strike mission) The loss of Soo-Wan as protector of the ocean has had unforeseen consequences, the ocean tribes above and below are unleashed(following expansion is a  floating wooden pirate city with a giant kraken octopus boss battle, ye scurvy dogs).

As a lot of this will reuse skins, and some parts of other bosses(mordremoth cough) it shouldn’t be too costly.

Probably way off the mark, will see how well I did in a few years, what are your thoughts or ideas for story and maps?

These ideas are really interesting!!
I've been desperately wanting an underwater expansion for years now - especially one that heavily involves the Largos. I was convinced this was the direction we were going after End of Dragons, considering EoD was so heavy on the water element, Turtle can be used underwater, skiffs and fishing, leviathan with Largos NPC, and the revived speculation over what caused the Largos and Quaggan to flee their homes in the Unending Ocean now that Soo-Won was cleared of blame. So I was rather shocked and disappointed when SotO was announced instead 🥲

We've explored SO much of Tyria above and below ground, as well as in the sky. So really the next place to go would be into the depths of the Unending Ocean.
Like you mentioned, this would be a perfect opportunity to revitalize and expand on existing mounts like Skimmer and Siege Turtle. It would also be the perfect opportunity to overhaul and breathe new life into the underwater combat system - which would also open up new combat options without resorting to entire new elite specs, new legendary aquatic gear (weapons, aquabreather), totally new boss mechanics, etc.

The combination of underwater environment with water-free cities/zones is something I've thought about a lot as well. I can imagine swimming up to a designated gateway, passing through a force-field of sorts and then transitioning into walking on dry land/platforms. This would be functionally interesting, and visually stunning depending on how it's done. These ocean maps would then be multi-tiered with a combination of surface fishing and islands, underwater terrain and then these shielded dry areas.

1. Deep Sea Monster: We go to the Battle Isles to help the Largos, and Quagguan, fight the Deep Sea Monster
  2. Purists in Cantha: A return to Cantha to deal with the Purist threat, and their attempts to manipulate the Risen in Old Kaineng to attack the city.
  3. Lyssa: What exactly is Lyssa up to, and what are the gods REALLY doing.
  4. Charr stuff: Charr Khan-Ur election, cleaning up the last remnants of the Renegades/Separatists, and finally banishing the Foefire ghosts with the help of humanity.
  5. Sylvari stuff: Finding Malyck's Tree, learning more about the Dream/Nightmare, seeing how the Nightmare court have changed. Possibly tie it into what is causing the Maguuma wastes.
  6. Asura stuff: Going underground, finding a lost Asura city, dealing with the Inquest
  7. Norn Stuff: A mini x-pack set in the far shiverpeaks, following up in IBS, where Norn are reclaiming thier old homelands. How is Braham doing, how are the spirits recovering, etc.
  8. Kryta stuff: The Queen attempts to make peace/deal with the remaining threats around Kryta like the Dominion of Winds, and the Centuars.
  9. New Continent: We go off to the far west where theres been some hints about a 4th human land, and see whats going on there.

Just some high level ideas, not in any real order.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Personally, I hope we get away from the Wizard's Court, Astral Ward, and Kryptis politics altogether after this expansion.

I'd like to explore the far west and more of the Tyrian continent, which in-game content shows is much larger and essentially undefined.  New races!  New cultures!  

I can't help laughing at the idea of the human gods returning and sheepishly trying to justify running away when mere mortals defeated the Elder Dragons, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

To flesh things out more (no pun intended) the next "expansion" should continue and bring to an end the story of SotO. Give the characters we've met more time to grow and tie up some lose ends. Maybe we should get to talk about some of the shady things the wizards are doing as well and maybe even change their ways.

But I doubt that this will happen.

Instead, next "expansion" wil be something completely detached and new, yet somehow familiar because of asset reuse, again. Doesn't need to be a bad thing, I mean if they tell a story dealing with an existing faction of Charr or Asura or Humans, not a lot of new assets are needed to tell a good story.

My hope is that we're going underwater. It's one of the last unexplored spaces and would lend itself well for a reword and a few new gimmicks and masteries. Who are we fighting? I don't know. We go Quaggan hunting, I don't care. As long kitten we're getting an underwater rework.
If not that, hard to say really. The dragons are gone, the gods are gone, Joko is gone, the Mantle is gone. The writing team can basically invent whatever they want to us to fight. That's a curse and a blessing if you ask me. Some really great and creative things can come from this, but also some imho rather bland and boring things, like the Kryptis. Guess we'll just have to wait.
I expect to get at least a mild spoiler with the release of the last part of SotO. If everything works as planned, the next "expansion" should release its first part three months after that, so some information on what to expect would be ice at that point.

In no particular order or priority, just some stuff I'd like to see, get closure on, or just random ideas for consideration (or laughs, whatever):

• Find the lost descendant of the Ascalonian royal bloodline and have them perform the ritual with Sohothin to once and for all rid Ascalon of the ghosts, since Rytlok's attempt failed.
  • Let's go to the Domain of Winds and kill whatever world-ending threat is there (because obviously there is one)
  • Have Taimi finally die since she's been dying forever, or deus ex machina a cure for her. Make her Blish 2.0.  Whatever. I don't care. Just stop dangling death.
  • A return to the Fissure of Woe, more of The Underworld, The Domain of Anguish, Urgoz's Warren, and The Deep as open world/end-game content.
  • Hunt down the remaining human gods on principle to ensure they never return
  • Completely take out The Inquest once and for all.
  • Fully quell the Renegades and Separatists in Southern Ascalon/Ebonhawke. Personal story touched on it, but I don't feel like there was an actual definitive conclusion (unless I missed something or forgot. It HAS been over 11 years).
  • Officially make the Karka extinct, because kitten them for destroying the last remaining bit of the original LA.
  • With Jormag gone, I don't recall if we actually got closure in regards to the Sons of Svanir. Are they suddenly regular Norn treating their time as servants of Jormag like a bad hangover? Also, maybe make the Sprits of the Wild more relevant now that Jormag is gone?
  • The dead in The Mists organize and invade Tyria to kill off the mortals because, I dunno, Make the Mists Great Again? You can even introduce a cheeto-faced demagogue for us to eliminate. I'd pay to play that.
  • Ocean  or sky pirate adventures?
  • Alien visitors from another planet that want to terraform Tyria for whatever reason (I dunno, pick your mcguffin).
  • Build a castle for myself!
  • Quaggan extinction. Simple: introduce some crazy form of corruption/disease that makes them permanently ugly raged and make them a real threat that can only be stopped via their extinction.
  • Have the dredge dig too greedily and too deep, causing a catastrophic earthquake/cave-in that traps them forever in - Dr. Evil finger quotes- liquid hot magma.

Wouldn't it be fun if we found the Malyck's tree, and found a cure to help the Pale Tree recover faster? Kind of a conclusion to Season 2/HoT.

Not entirely sure what we'd find out there. I don't think "discovering ANOTHER lost human community" would fly, though as far as I know, only Centaurs or Humans really went into that area.

after demon expansion comes angel cosmic being expansion...

besides that smaller... not rescue the world stories could give more freedom to explore the world more.

crazy scientists there , a warlord here, a secret in a mountain, just something smaller with more variety in landscape

tv show instead of movie blockBuster

at least till anet got the resources to pull of something huge.

im sure anet already has some nice visual ideas

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Personally I'd prefer they move away from Kryptis and do something more directly tied to Tyria and existing lore. A lot of SotO felt very disconnected from the story so far, which I guess was intentional. But made it harder to stay interested and invested as it went on. Zojja was the only thing keeping me somewhat interested, then she got her magical lobotomy and the rest was meh so far.

• Haha 1

I don't really care that much about the direction where they will take the story in the future. What story they will tell is at this point far less important than how they will do it. Personally, i'd rather they concentrated on telling a story. Instead of thinking primarily about how many "forced engagement" game elements can they package inside.

Unless they can improve on that front, any story they'd try to tell would end up bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Whatever they want to do, I hope they do it right and give it time to grow.

SotO’s story is a mess, 16 chapters in and I still don’t know what’s even a Kryptis. They’re first described by the Ward to be semi-intelligent supernatural beings that can possess Tyrian living beings. Ok, no problem there. Then it’s revealed they’re actually highly intelligent beings living in their own society in a different dimension, oh and they’re actually corporeal beings since they also eat, drink, poop, sleep, and they just possess minds for fun because every born Kryptis randomly have interdimensional mind hack abilities (even though I’m pretty sure it was said from the start the Kryptis feed on emotions, and possession is how they eat). Oh and they can vary in size, from as small as a fly to literal omnipresent cosmic horror whose eyes and tentacles can reach everywhere across different dimensions.

Serious question, but what IS a Kryptis?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

An unfinished thought.

Every time they want to go the Half Life direction they stop with some literal half of an idea in a bottle area.  Southsun Cove was the first time, and now an entire bottle expansion of basically aliens but we don't even get a crowbar skin for sword.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

As far as I can tell, they're just reskinned quaggans, harpies, and stuff...

The problem with this entire expansion is it never finishes a thought before moving on to something else.  The Wizard's Court and Astral Ward defend Tyria from threats from the Mists -- well, presumably, because they definitely don't do anything useful otherwise, and they act like we've never heard of Fractals or the Mists before either -- except they're kind of morally suspect in a lot of ways?  But never mind, the Kryptis are invading demons who feed on emotions and possess people -- but they're also funny little guys living in Nayos with their own ecosystem who seem oblivious Tyria even exists.  Nayos itself is dangerous for Tyrians to travel to -- except not really, you can just walk it off in five minutes and carry on as usual.  There's a power play among the High Kryptis for control and not everyone is your friend -- but just shut up and do what Peitha tells you, okay?  There's also whatever rivalry exists between Isgarren and Eparch, which is probably important to what's going on?  But just go do events to fill your bar already.

Maybe there's a reveal coming but I don't expect one and I don't really care anymore? 

Apparently, Anet's new expansion model is to abandon whatever they were doing and push out something new, and I'm mildly optimistic about that because I don't really want to stick around with the Astral Ward being the Wayfinder anymore.

Edited by Gwynnion.7364
  • Confused 2