Struggling trying to gear/get my foot in the door as a healer

2 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Think we have to clear up some stuff. First off, do you own any of the expansions or plan to buy one? They come with a lv80 boost that gives you a full set of celestial exotic armor + weapons (though can't chose which weapons) + trinkets. It would be an option if you're in a rush to get decent gear to start with. That would be a simple suggestion that is easily and instantly doable, though if you don't want to waste the lv80 boost just for getting the full gear set that's understanable too if you wanna save it for another char. You're maybe not even sure yet which class you want to main if this is the first you're playing.

Nobody expects you to buy celestial or harrier or any of the expensive stat combo exotics off the trading post. A new player can't afford 10g+ per gear piece. However if you went for berserker / assassins gear (to have a solid dps set to clear solo and open world content with) you're looking at under 1g per piece (with the exception of trinkets - but you can fill those slots with lv80 greens or yellows at first to save money), much more affordable. Once you have a initial set of gear to do content with, you can use that to do stuff like entry level fractals, dungeons (outdated but still decent for getting some gold - monk runes which are used in most heal builds are also bought only with dungeon currency) or farming open world maps. It's possible to farm stat-select (which can be harrier, celestial or anything really) exotic armor from the very first heart of thorns map, Verdant Brink. There are also very cheap stat select exotics (under 1g) of any gear type you can buy from an npc in Lion's Arch (behind the big fractal gate) which also require WvW currency to buy - but it's a currency you also get from every 500-achievement point chest. So as you keep playing, you get some of that automatically and can buy some pieces from there to fill in missing gear slots.

The wizard's vault is doable for anyone. If you see some dailies or weeklies that you can't do, just skip them and do the ones you can do instead. Coming from FF14 you may be used to everything being locked by the story and that you have to do it in the proper order. While you may choose to do the story in the right order, it's fully possible to jump to the start of any expansion and gain entry into those maps - for some without even needing to do the story, just going to the map transition is enough to enter Verdant Brink for example (first HoT map). You'll also get 10 hero points per hero challenge on any expansion map (HoT, PoF or EoD) which helps a lot with fully unlocking your elite spec.

I've sent you a mail ingame to the char that you shared your build on - feel free to add me and whisper me ingame when you see me online, I don't mind helping you out with getting started if you're a bit lost and need direction or help with anything. Can also help you get into entry level instanced content once we get your gear sorted out a little and figure out what builds you're comfortable with. Just an offer, don't have to take it ^^ (I mainly play on EU but have an account on NA - mail and friendlist + chat work across both server regions)

-I wasn't in a hurry to burn my level boost, to be fair. And yes i have heart of thorns/path of fire, but that's the only expansions i have, I also don't have the Living World seasons, and that's why i said a lot of those "easy to get" trinkets are paywalled away from me right now. 

-My concern though is, my current gear, bad as it is, some of it does give me a little bit of healing power and toughness, and i worry by "upgrading" to this full power DPS gear, my survivability will actually get worse. Especially if I can't do a perfect DPS rotation to get the most out of the gear...and most builds that use this dps gear would require me to completely change the utility and and healing skill i use, but would also require me to even change weapon types! Also the shield I was given for unlocking chronomancer i already stat-selected for healing power (Minstrel's i think? Only healing option i saw) so if i wanted to change to a full dps setup i've already ruined my shield....With no healing power no toughness, like dps roles in other games, i'm scared too much rotational perfection is going to be demanded from me to not just die like usual.

-I had gotten access to both verdant brink and the desert, hence my comments how i can't even handle being attacked by the normal enemies there, because i guess they assume anyone going there to be in full exotic minimum gear.... which is odd that i need to be able to survive there to *obtain* some of the gear, or even just the hero point to unlock more of my elite spec.

-Yeah i saw your mail, i'll add you in-game and maybe we can work out something when we both have time.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

-I wasn't in a hurry to burn my level boost, to be fair. And yes i have heart of thorns/path of fire, but that's the only expansions i have, I also don't have the Living World seasons, and that's why i said a lot of those "easy to get" trinkets are paywalled away from me right now. 

-My concern though is, my current gear, bad as it is, some of it does give me a little bit of healing power and toughness, and i worry by "upgrading" to this full power DPS gear, my survivability will actually get worse. Especially if I can't do a perfect DPS rotation to get the most out of the gear...and most builds that use this dps gear would require me to completely change the utility and and healing skill i use, but would also require me to even change weapon types! Also the shield I was given for unlocking chronomancer i already stat-selected for healing power (Minstrel's i think? Only healing option i saw) so if i wanted to change to a full dps setup i've already ruined my shield....With no healing power no toughness, like dps roles in other games, i'm scared too much rotational perfection is going to be demanded from me to not just die like usual.

-I had gotten access to both verdant brink and the desert, hence my comments how i can't even handle being attacked by the normal enemies there, because i guess they assume anyone going there to be in full exotic minimum gear.... which is odd that i need to be able to survive there to *obtain* some of the gear, or even just the hero point to unlock more of my elite spec.

-Yeah i saw your mail, i'll add you in-game and maybe we can work out something when we both have time.

I think you're under the wrong impression that you have to 100% go dps gear in every slot and every skill if you start filling out gear slots in dps gear. You don't have to. Even if you just fill out your sub-lv-80 gear slot with proper lv80 dps exotics, you'll become quite a bit stronger. Nobody is forcing you to swap out shield if you like that weapon - and if you already got it in minstrel's stats (vitality + toughness + healing power + concentration?), that's one gear slot less you have to worry about getting for your future healing set. If you have some lv80 gear that you like and want to keep using, keep using it. Just replace the stuff that doesn't give you useful stats or is below your level. If you have weapons and utilities you find helpful and like to use, keep using those. The suggestions aren't aimed to completely overturn your playstyle, but to get your character's power level to a point that you can more comfortably be clearing content without being undergeared and ineffectual.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have a Power DPS gearset now, i'm just still pretty nervous about using it because greatsword is still very out of my comfort zone because compared to staff it has a bunch of weird animation locks and some of it is tricky to use, but i'm trying to get used to it... i guess i still have some of my old healing stuff in a seperate tab in case i need to go back to it and whenever i can afford to upgrade the rares and the power dps fill-ins with actual harrier's gear or other healing prefixes (celestial, minstrel's, giver's...). When i have switched to the DPS set I have noticed it is a little harder to sustain myself, though.

https://gw2geary.com/c/Wild_Viridian?eq=1&bld=

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

GW2 was built from the ground up to be a PVP game, and as such all professions were given enough base stats capable of surviving most things, even with no investment in defensive stats.  This was done to fool-proof the game, preventing players from inadvertently building themselves into incompetence.  

The only place where high performance will be demanded of you is in Raids and Challenge Mode fractals/strikes.  Most of the overworld, while balanced around Exotic Gear, is actually pretty easy.  You'll defeat most enemies just by auto-attacking them, and the ones you can't largely have one gimmick move that you need to watch out for.  This is true even if you're wearing full berserker or vipers armor.  I frequently play this game one-handed (mouse only), and can definitely attest that every profession can do this.  The "DPS rotation" with rare exceptions loads most of the damage into a few skills, so if you know which skills hit hard you can obliterate enemies before they have a chance to respond back.  You only need a rotation against big HP sponges with a time limit on them.  Otherwise, feel free to wing it.

The reasons why high damage gear is recommended are many.  First, more damage gets you kills faster, which gives you loot faster.  It makes money and saves time to hit things hard.  Second, it is far easier to change around traits/utilities and your strategy than it is to change gear.  If needed, you can equip more defensive utilities and traits to survive, and failing that you can approach the problem in a different manner to survive.  So, following this logic, by default you should build yourself for damage, then change the easier things first if you need more survival.  Third, there are events in the game that have a time limit.  It is harder to squeeze more damage out of defensive gear than it is to play more defensively in offensive gear.  So, if the situation arises where you'll need greater performance than survival, you'll be ready for it.  Most mechanics in the game are handled by killing stuff anyway, so it is beneficial to be really good at killing stuff.  

This seems counter-intuitive to how other games handle things, and it is definitely one of the stumbling stones that new players trip over.  It was certainly different from the previous RPGs and MMOs I had played.  

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

I have a Power DPS gearset now, i'm just still pretty nervous about using it because greatsword is still very out of my comfort zone because compared to staff it has a bunch of weird animation locks and some of it is tricky to use, but i'm trying to get used to it... i guess i still have some of my old healing stuff in a seperate tab in case i need to go back to it and whenever i can afford to upgrade the rares and the power dps fill-ins with actual harrier's gear or other healing prefixes (celestial, minstrel's, giver's...). When i have switched to the DPS set I have noticed it is a little harder to sustain myself, though.

You got a little bit of a mix up with the runes on sigils. The transference rune on sword + shield doesn't stack with itself, so the idea would be to have transference on the shield and sigil of air on the sword. For the runes, they work best in a set of 6 - so having the same rune slotted in every pieces activates their effects fully. Like having 6x rune of the pack slotted into the berserker set (think you slotted 1 into your rare heal gloves and I assume you still have the other 5 runes? You'd have to buy 1 or 2 runes extra then to have the full rune effect active on both gear sets).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

You got a little bit of a mix up with the runes on sigils. The transference rune on sword + shield doesn't stack with itself, so the idea would be to have transference on the shield and sigil of air on the sword. For the runes, they work best in a set of 6 - so having the same rune slotted in every pieces activates their effects fully. Like having 6x rune of the pack slotted into the berserker set (think you slotted 1 into your rare heal gloves and I assume you still have the other 5 runes? You'd have to buy 1 or 2 runes extra then to have the full rune effect active on both gear sets).

i'm sorry for screwing it up. 😞

• Haha 2

Don't worry about it, is not a big deal. Can happen to anyone when not familiar with how runes and sigils work 😄

They're quite cheap anyways, at least the more budget options for open world. There are some really pricy runes and sigils for optimized builds thou. Healer doesn't go too pricy since it can get monk runes from dungeon currency, and transference sigil is cheap. But sigil of concentration (heal power) is a little bit expensive, like a few gold. And sigil of paralyzation (enhances chrono's already very potent CC / defiance bar damage with stuns and moa signet) is very pricey but recommended in meta builds.

• Like 1

I think there is a huge misconception here, and that's why some of this conversation has been going in circles.

What you are missing is not gear, or a build, or anything really in relationship to gear. What you are lacking is basic game understanding. You are trying to build a house without any foundation, any ground or any walls to build on. Just some half open windows which you took from someplace else. That simply won't work.

You want to run a healer, but it seems have 0 guildies or players to turn to. As mentioned by others: healers are usually used in instanced content (and not even all of it). There is no auto grouping or group finder here. People won't just take you along as healer for instanced content only because you have a heal build ready. Running a heal build in other content can be frustrating.

The general advice given to new players is:

- get to know the basics first. In case of instanced content, that would be tier 1 fractals. In case of game mechanics, that would be stats, runes, sigils, boons, etc.

- work towards an open world build (https://guildjen.com/open-world-builds/ or https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World or even https://snowcrows.com/builds/open-world). and no, you don't have to be full exotic or ascended, try to get similar stats without blowing the bank. Adjusting and adapting is one way of learning and understanding how to create builds (and importantly adapt them)

- once you understanding this games build-craft at least somewhat and have more resources, start working on dedicated builds for different types of content

- join a guild, get to know people, ask questions there and group with those players if possible

You really should work towards the Wizard Vault objectives. Besides the easy access to gold, gear and resources, which would help a new player, you are also guided through content. While doing those, or other dailies or objectives, get to know the game.

EDIT:

Let me run you through the process as an example. You are aiming at Heal Chronomancer. Guildjen has both a celestial Mirage open world build (which shares staff as weapon with your desired build) as well as an open world Chronomancer build (which shares the elite specialization). The chrono build uses a mix of berserker and maurauder, which is generally cheap and needs not much adjusting, so let's take the mirage build.

https://guildjen.com/celestial-mirage-open-world-build/

Full celestial is expensive, so after familiarizing yourself with the build, and looking up on what weapons the build runs, which traits are equipped, which utilities, etc. we can deduce which stats are of importance for budget options.

Stats: besides items like Ice Golem's Maw Box (stat selectable exotic headgear for 1g17s) where we can select celestial, there are options in form of Viper, Trailblazer and Ritualists (which are not cheap, at least not budget cheap), so condition damage AND condition duration are off the table. Next best would be condition damage which in form of Dire and Rabid gives 2 budget options to go for (and at 1-1.2g per piece, allows a full armor set for less than 8g). Shamans would be a nice survival choice because it comes with vitality (main), healing and condition damage. Mix and match as needed, some of the exotic items are rather cheap to come by even on trinket slots (Shaman rings and amulet are 30-40 a piece).

Runes: Rune of the Trapper is account bound, thus self crafted and weighs in at 4.5g per rune. A budget option would be Rune of the Afflicted which at 9-10s per rune is not a huge investment.

Sigils: unfortunately Sigil of Energy (at 1g a piece) is pretty important to mirage, so keeping that sets us back 2g. Still we can replace the Sigil of Bursting for say a stacking sigil which gives condition damage per kill as budget option.

What we end up with is something along the lines of this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAYZlRwkYIsEmJWKP9PNA-DygUKNCEdwiKoGKAPkfYlROFQmJgBDAA-e

Total cost: less than 20g. Will take on any story and open world content. Get familiar with staff as a weapon.

The trinkets used above are: Fang of Tequatle (35s), Risen Spineguard (11s), Shaman's Ring (38s), Shaman's Amulet (33s)

Trinkets in general are most easily replaced with ascended gear from living world seasons, where you can select celestial or which ever stat you desire.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

The healing stuff will not help keep you alive - you will notice this by looking at the healing numbers on your skills when you add healing power. It will barely move the numbers in any meaningful way.

Vitality and/or toughness are more important defence stats for survivability class depending.

You don’t have to stick with great sword over staff - you can use what you are comfortable with as long as you sync your utility skills and traits. You will have done all this when levelling 1-80 as part of the learning experience. But there is no safety net in healing power. I’ve been there and tried it and it just meant slower gameplay. Which was fine because I understood that, but the slog eventually meant I changed it to remove healing power completely and mixed my armour to include a variety of better options across dps, toughness and boons. I survived the same and killed quicker.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The healing stuff will not help keep you alive - you will notice this by looking at the healing numbers on your skills when you add healing power. It will barely move the numbers in any meaningful way.

Vitality and/or toughness are more important defence stats for survivability class depending.

You don’t have to stick with great sword over staff - you can use what you are comfortable with as long as you sync your utility skills and traits. You will have done all this when levelling 1-80 as part of the learning experience. But there is no safety net in healing power. I’ve been there and tried it and it just meant slower gameplay. Which was fine because I understood that, but the slog eventually meant I changed it to remove healing power completely and mixed my armour to include a variety of better options across dps, toughness and boons. I survived the same and killed quicker.

Yea as this guy say just get a staff with the right stats and do what you want just because the build says greatsword is better if you dont feel like it take something you do feel like.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

i guess i'm just too used to other mmos where a healer COULD do content without a group because they could heal themselves and sustain themselves

You don't need a healer build for that.

Mesmer is the tricky choice here. The sustain of a mesmer are its clones as a distraction/tank and to be a good mesmer you need to play the keyboard like a piano.
Healer gear gives you heal and sustain but apart from puny auto attack damage you have nothing to take something down. Every newbie with starter armor kills the mobs faster than you. Healer gear is Minstrel. How do you do damage with that?

All other mmo with something like the holy trinity have the same issue.

In GW1 a monk had to skill to damage to do damage (and he was good at that then). You were no healer then.

From all classes mesmer belongs to the difficult ones.
If you had chosen warrior,. guard or rev, then you can do damage, heal yourself, have sustain and all without a healer build. Celestial equipment is the key there. Although I wouldn't do celestial warrior, for warrior I'd mix vitality and/or toughness in the dps armor (like marauder) and spec spellbreaker. Has good sustain.
Guard and Rev can be played well with celestial equipment.

Celestial has all stats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

I recently hit level 80 on my first character (mesmer) and I really really wanted to be a healer. I tried to look up how to get gear but everyone recommends getting like some dps set before anything else and i'm like..... just not interested in playing DPS at all, given when i was leveling i took every piece of healing gear that i could and i avoided things like power or condition damage where i could.

I had barely managed to scoruge up around 13 gold in core tyria from selling materials and drops and i manage to buy..... one piece of Harrier's armor (the set reccomended ina heal chronomancer build i saw) but now i'm completely poor and can't get the rest of the set after the first armor piece, the rest of my gear is leveling gear... So i knew i needed to unlock chronomancer too so I tried to do Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire area to get hero points (a video i saw mentione core tyria will not get you the 250 hero points fast enough) but it seems with only a singie piece of Harrier's..... i just die and get my healing outpaced and die in a few hits int he jungle or the desert. i'm basically out of money now because of the silver charges from having to respawn so much, and i can't even get to half of the hero points in heart of thorns because it's locked behind glider masteries i guess... but in path of fire normal enemies kill me before i could find a single hero point challenge.

I just can't seem to get enough money to get my full set of healing gear to survive long enough to get chronomancer even unlocked and i don't wanna waste money on a DPS set for a temporary core class that's going to go away when i hit 250 hero points...PEople acting like i was crazy for this.... but if this game is so centered around damage then why do people even bother with healing builds if you're forced to have to get a dps set?

I just don't understand why people reacted that way about me buying harrier's gear because i want to be a healer and focus on it and treating me like i'm stupid...I just want to be able to start healing instanced content....

You can very easily make 13 gold in a single day, and more. There are lots of options:

-wizard's vault, each mystic coin is worth 2 gold. 

-meta events like silverwastes 

-fractals and dungeons 

• Confused 1

Just wanna correct myself quickly on something I talked about in a previous post regarding boon duration with celestial gear. While it's true that some heal supports do easily reach 100% boon duration through the concentration stat and having traits that boost it (like tempest), heal chrono isn't one of them. Even with the meta build it only goes to some bit over 80% boon duration, is still more than enough to keep up the boons and even dipping a bit lower by the use of cele gear is still fully possible to upkeep the boons - though knowing the boon rotation well and how to generate your alac/quick can certainly help. Additionaly once you do get into high tier fractals (like doing T4 dailies + recs on a regular basis) you may always be running the effects of Mists Offensive Defensive and Mobility potions, which in combination with having 150 agony resist and the fractal masteries ends up giving you an additional 225 concentration while in fractals. What it comes down to is that you'll have 15% additional boon duration when doing fractals once you reach that point, which lowers any pressure with boon upkeep a bit. I know this isn't super relevant at the moment, and I do tend to side track on topics that I think may be helpful to know in the future .. just wanted to clarify it cause I previously implied it may be easy to get to 100% boon duration (the stat from concentration, not the uptime).

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, i'm just worrying about getting stuff done in open world with my power build atm while slowly putting together the healing stuff when i can. unfortunately atm when i have to heal when i'm with my friendgroup/small guild i'm unfortunately turning to a few random lv 80s rares with some healer stats on them (in addition to my shield) while using the power gear to just fill the slots i don't have healer items for, but hopefully maybe my power gear can get me to at least some exotic healing gear of some description soon if wizard's vault and my expansion area open world play goes better now. even if it ends up being in worst case giver's/minstrels and i wind up tanking.

For context the two main members of our very small guild i run with both play dps i think. One plays Elementalist/Weaver (which i have no idea how they build) and my other friend i run with a lot is currently condi core necro and is looking to probably unlock Scourge. SO I feel like when i'm with them it probably behooves me to switch back to my healing build just to provide them boons and healing.

Edited by ChrisTheEnby.9046
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

Yeah, i'm just worrying about getting stuff done in open world with my power build atm while slowly putting together the healing stuff when i can. unfortunately atm when i have to heal when i'm with my friendgroup/small guild i'm unfortunately turning to a few random lv 80s rares with some healer stats on them (in addition to my shield) while using the power gear to just fill the slots i don't have healer items for, but hopefully maybe my power gear can get me to at least some exotic healing gear of some description soon if wizard's vault and my expansion area open world play goes better now. even if it ends up being in worst case giver's/minstrels and i wind up tanking.

For context the two main members of our very small guild i run with both play dps i think. One plays Elementalist/Weaver (which i have no idea how they build) and my other friend i run with a lot is currently condi core necro and is looking to probably unlock Scourge. SO I feel like when i'm with them it probably behooves me to switch back to my healing build just to provide them boons and healing.

If you want something specific to aim for, doing events and getting exp + mastery points in Verdant Brink (easiest during active times with other players around) to level the 'Itzel Lore' mastery track to its 2nd mastery 'Itzel Language'. This unlocks the Itzel Mastery Vendor near the shipwreck waypoint (entrypoint of the map) where you can buy 'Bladed' armor boxes for head, shoulders, gloves, leggings and shoes - for 500 airship parts each + 1 gold. They're fully stat select exotics that you can pick any of the optimal healer stat combos for. You will have to farm the map a while, focusing on events and getting some mastery points and opening the Airship Cargos with the pact crowbars from the event rewards. But it could be a specific first goal to aim for on your quest to get healer gear. (though depending on your priorities you may want a few additional gliding masteries first to get around more easily)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Itzel_Mastery_Vendor

^ here's a link to the vendor, you can find everything about it on that page (requires the Itzel Language mastery). The only piece you can't buy from him is the chest, which can drop randomly from doing the meta event or very rarely from opening airship cargos. You can also get the other gear pieces randomly from the airship cargos if you're lucky, but map currency is the reliable way to get them.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

thanks to my power set, i'm actually kind of making *some* headway in farming in expansion areas now..... the healing set is..... very slowly coming together. I got my first two pieces of affordable Harrier's exotics (thanks to maw box and the ebon shoulders box) and from a friends recommendation to get a giver's candy cane scepter to tide me over until i can get a Harrier's scepter b/c they're cheap. https://gw2geary.com/c/Wild_Viridian?eq=1&bld=1

I still need to upgrade these rares though and get healing replacements for the remaining dps gear, however, and get healing trinkets rather than the dps ones i'm wearing rn. but i think once i get itzal language it shouldn't been too hard to fill the rest out with bladed armor to stat select Harrier's, i'm trying to get 30 laurels with my acclaim atm to get a healing amulet, and once i get the healing set in a somewhat better place (like when i at least can replace the rares, especially this level 70 chestpiece), i'm hopefully going to start hitting Fractals with my friends to start farming for pristine relics for my rings.

I could just do fractals with my power dps set, but if i do it with my friends, since it'd be me with a Power Weaver and a Condi Scourge, unless one of the other random ppl we get in LFG for fractals (or dungeons if I wanna do explorer mode to get dungeon currency for Monk sigils eventually) is coming in as healer/tank, it's probably gonna fall to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

thanks to my power set, i'm actually kind of making *some* headway in farming in expansion areas now..... the healing set is..... very slowly coming together. I got my first two pieces of affordable Harrier's exotics (thanks to maw box and the ebon shoulders box) and from a friends recommendation to get a giver's candy cane scepter to tide me over until i can get a Harrier's scepter b/c they're cheap. https://gw2geary.com/c/Wild_Viridian?eq=1&bld=1

I still need to upgrade these rares though and get healing replacements for the remaining dps gear, however, and get healing trinkets rather than the dps ones i'm wearing rn. but i think once i get itzal language it shouldn't been too hard to fill the rest out with bladed armor to stat select Harrier's, i'm trying to get 30 laurels with my acclaim atm to get a healing amulet, and once i get the healing set in a somewhat better place (like when i at least can replace the rares, especially this level 70 chestpiece), i'm hopefully going to start hitting Fractals with my friends to start farming for pristine relics for my rings.

I could just do fractals with my power dps set, but if i do it with my friends, since it'd be me with a Power Weaver and a Condi Scourge, unless one of the other random ppl we get in LFG for fractals (or dungeons if I wanna do explorer mode to get dungeon currency for Monk sigils eventually) is coming in as healer/tank, it's probably gonna fall to me.

Better get rid of the idea of "needing" a healer for doing fractals. Even though it became a habit to bring a healer on the highest tier, it's actually not needed, it's more of a convenience thing, even more so on lower tiers. If you want to do fractals, it's better to focus on learning the levels and the mechanics instead.

Since so much was already (rightfully) said in this thread, I'll just leave a short list of general advice (most of it already given):

• the game's fundamental design knows no healer's or trinity, always keep that in mind while learning the game, doing open world and story
  • what's dead can't kill you, so it's usually a good idea to be able to kill stuff fast (this also applies to dungeons and fractals)
  • the influence of gear in this game is much smaller than many people think; traits, skill choices, mastering character handling, using active defenses and knowledge of encounters are by far more important
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I do Fractals most weeks with a couple of friends. Because we are only three, we tend to stick with T1/T2, but in any case it is worth spending time at that level to learn the mechanics and accumulate AR. None of us are dedicated healers, though our engi can switch to a healing spec for specific bosses; sometimes it's just easier just to stay stacked and heal through a spike. But a healing spec doesn't have to consist of BIS runes etc; it might just be a matter of switching some traits or utilities.

Bottom line is you can jump into low level Fractals any time, you don't need to wait until you have specific gear. Knowing the mechanics is way more important and that comes with practice/experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

It will make your healing and support a lot stronger if you get your hero points and finish unlocking the chrono traitline. You're still missing a large chunk of your support power by not having your traits, especially giving the powerful alac or quick boons, and that will likely have a bigger impact on your ability to support a group than how many healer gear pieces you have equipped. Ask your friends to help you do some hero points in HoT, there's also easier ones in PoF if you don't mind jumping into those maps as well - they're also 10 points each. I can also help you get them filled out if we're online at the same time and I'm not very busy at the time.

While what others say is true that lower fractals (or even higher ones with a very experienced party) don't have to rely on a healer, having a heal support along can make them a lot easier with less pressure on the group. They're mainly saying that to indicate that you can start doing entry level fractals with your friends without full healer gear. If you enjoy healing, fractals are a great place where your healing and support can pretty much carry a group to success.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:45 AM, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

The problem is when it comes to MMOs, dungeons and raids and stuff like that is typically my favorite content. The open world is just something i have to stomach to prepare for instanced content/raiding

This is about half your problem right there. GW2's instanced content has been... uneven at best. The first instanced content (dungeons) were officially abandoned quite early on, and the system that replaced it (fractals) is getting extremely slow updates. They finally added a third system (raids) during HoT, but raids are now pretty much officially dead as well. The game is on its fourth system now (strike missions), and those are getting updates for the foreseeable future, although some of the more recent updates are perhaps questionably in quality.

It seems you're just trying to push too hard into a game that you really don't understand. You're still missing basic information like the fact that PvE is on megaservers (so it's not that people on "your server" are selling Harrier's for 14g, it's 14g everywhere), and have yet to make peace with the idea of needing dps in this game to solo. If you add me to your friends list and ask, I'll gladly carry you through literally every single expansion hero point and soloable dungeon, but it sounds like that's not really the experience you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong though - like I said, I'll gladly help you out so you can get some hero points, get some coin, and get past this phase of "the game isn't allowing me to do what I want right now."

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 2

Idk if someone already suggested this:

Ask someone to tp you go to EotN(eye of the north).

Check out the vendor Crystallographer Smoxxi.

Buy 6 ascended Armor boxes for the healer(blue color Armor box)(that says "Healer's chest of <blah blah blah>")

If you are short of blue prophet shards, just spam farm the easy Icebrood saga strikes. Look for "all welcome" lfg groups under "strikes" section of lfg. there's no limit to how many blue shards u can get. And players won't blame u if Ure not perfect or not doing stuff in strike missions... Just join and perform to your satisfaction... Just repeat until you have enough shards ... Get the 6 Armor pieces

U can select stats for the Armor .. in this case, harrier or minstrel ... Since u mentioned in your previous post u have PoF and HoT expansions...

Sidenote: if u complete some achievements, I believe, u can unlock some minstrel  stats amulet and harrier backpiece from hot and PoF stories.. I could be wrong but won't hurt to check it out

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:26 PM, ChrisTheEnby.9046 said:

I get dodging but not all damage is avoidable. I try not to "stand in bad". That's not what's killing me anyway.

More damage than you think is avoidable. You can dodge more than circles. A lot of auto attacks from enemies can be dodge as well just by simple strafing. Learning to move while attack is difficult, especially if you came from a game with a lot of cast bars. Most of your skills won't have them and can be used on the move. Just something to think about while learning your class. Find what abilities need a cast time. Next time you fight try one fight standing still and one moving around more. See the difference, I think you'll be surprised.

Edit:

I could just do fractals with my power dps set, but if i do it with my friends, since it'd be me with a Power Weaver and a Condi Scourge, unless one of the other random ppl we get in LFG for fractals (or dungeons if I wanna do explorer mode to get dungeon currency for Monk sigils eventually) is coming in as healer/tank, it's probably gonna fall to me

Doing early fractals without a healer (or with a dps spec'd healer) isn't going to be too difficult. A lot of the early fractals is learning the fractal itself. There are 100 of them broken down into 25 chucks. The first 20 or so just let you play around and learn how the instance itself works. Afterwords you'll hit Agony (which lowers healing) or special effects on each run in Tier2. Don't be afraid to step in and learn a bit first. You won't be at a significant disadvantage being dmg rather than healing. Your self heals and dodging should be enough to get you through most of them.

Edited by RavensSorrow.6128
  • Like 1

i feel like there was alot of questionable advice in this threads that told you to do exactly what you didn't want to do, after you asked not to be forced to do it, and that's not a way to help players. what you were probably looking for from the start is celestial gear, which allows you to both damage and heal in all content except raids (and in raids if you're the tank, not the off-healer). you probably want to run something like full celestial gear, with a few harrier's trinkets to max boon duration, along with leadership rune, sigil of concentration and transference, rice ball and bountiful maintenance oil.

the specifics will vary depending on your class and traits which can affect stuff like boon duration. you can get the trinkets from laurel merchants, the armor from verdant brink (bladed armor) and the weapons off the trading post (for example iron legion staff and rifle), for almost no gold investment.

you can run a second set with primarily harrier's for when you eventually start doing raids and don't want to be the tank.

its nice that players are trying to help you to play the game "properly", but there's no point in playing if you don't feel comfortable doing it. forcing yourself through it will only make you resent the game in the long term and likely quit before you ever reach the true end-game. you can worry about being a hardcore min/max'er down the road when you're already a veteran of the game and not when you're just starting out!

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

If you want to be able to successfully play solo open world PvE, then you need a solo open world PvE build and gear set.

That does NOT need to be ascended. It doesn't even need to be exotic. Rares work for the kind of content you are talking about.

I also want to note that if you are talking about champion enemy hero points, it is not unusual to struggle with soloing them. Hero point trains are your friend here - or even just put 'Hey, need help with X hero point, can anyone come please?' in map chat and if people are on, someone will usually come. It doesn't take long and lots of people are happy to help! There are also builds specifically for soloing champions you can and should switch to if you struggle with your regular build (you can even adjust for specific champions depending on whether they do condi dmg, have lots off cc, etc.).

People who started playing at launch didn't get a full ascended set until YEARS into the game. The pieces weren't even all released at once, we could only get rings and back items, armor came about a year later. It used to be a lot more expensive to craft and there were a lot less options to get ascended items. Please don't pressure yourself trying to jump straight to full ascended as a new player! You can do a lot of instanced content just fine in exotics with the right build and knowing what you're doing. For STARTING playing instanced content, you DO NOT need ascended gear.

It reads like you are putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself and setting up arbitrary and unrealistic requirements for yourself. Relax ❤️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Firefly.5982 said:

If you want to be able to successfully play solo open world PvE, then you need a solo open world PvE build and gear set.

That does NOT need to be ascended. It doesn't even need to be exotic. Rares work for the kind of content you are talking about.

I also want to note that if you are talking about champion enemy hero points, it is not unusual to struggle with soloing them. Hero point trains are your friend here - or even just put 'Hey, need help with X hero point, can anyone come please?' in map chat and if people are on, someone will usually come. It doesn't take long and lots of people are happy to help! There are also builds specifically for soloing champions you can and should switch to if you struggle with your regular build (you can even adjust for specific champions depending on whether they do condi dmg, have lots off cc, etc.).

People who started playing at launch didn't get a full ascended set until YEARS into the game. The pieces weren't even all released at once, we could only get rings and back items, armor came about a year later. It used to be a lot more expensive to craft and there were a lot less options to get ascended items. Please don't pressure yourself trying to jump straight to full ascended as a new player! You can do a lot of instanced content just fine in exotics with the right build and knowing what you're doing. For STARTING playing instanced content, you DO NOT need ascended gear.

It reads like you are putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself and setting up arbitrary and unrealistic requirements for yourself. Relax ❤️

to be fair, i'm not trying to rush to full ascended, i'm just trying to get Exotic armor but it's not exactly that easy for certain prefixes like Harrier/Minstrel/Celestial, the only reason i worry about ascended a little is b/c some guides say getting ascended trinkets is "easier/cheaper" than exotic trinkets because exotic trinkets can be pricey, and i guess some guides i read also said getting ascended weapons are one of the biggest upgrades you can get. Even then it seems like mostof those "easy" trinkets arer paywalled behind LW maps i don't have access to anyway, so it might mean i might have to go for laurel/fractal trinkets with worse prefix stats, or eventually put in the bigger fractal grind for mist trinkets.

I have a few Harrier's pieces now thanks to ice golem's maw box,, and the stat seletable shoulders box that's similar. it's just filling out the rest now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2