No point in joining any outdoors activity without flying mount

34 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't think I've ever seen an HP train that requires a flying mount.

Definetly seen lfg posts for HP trains saying "need Skyscale", though I wouldn't say that's the norm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

This, one of the many reasons I'm not getting on with sota is you're forced into skyskale. Whilst that mount is convenient for me at least it's not really fun.

I wouldn't say "forced", more "heavily encouraged" in most cases. Anything that needs a skyscale to dash through it, like breaking the flying turrets' shells and knocking the fruit off trees in Nayos can only be done on skyscale, but having an obstacle that needs a specific mount isn't unusual (jackal portals, beetle walls). Pretty much everything else just needs you to be able to reach them, which isn't restricted to skyscale even if that's the intention.

It's been a fun challenge to subvert the deliberate skyscale focus by tackling these maps/events without using skyscale wherever possible. I've map completed on turtle just to see if it was possible, and done the metas on turtle too as long as it wasn't going to cause it to fail. The maps are definitely harder to get around without doing it the intended way, but there are always ways to do it without.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:16 PM, Futa.4375 said:

I'll keep saying it but flying mounts were a mistake, mounts are a mistake in MMORPGs in general.

I don't think you're wrong for thinking that

Valid opinion

But it's ofc very subjective

Both have negatives and positives

They do solve lots of the issues flying mounts have in other games.

Biggest one would be that you don't have unlimited height. So you can still see other players for the most part.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:06 AM, Gop.8713 said:

I guess it's a great thing that anet has made acquiring skyscale so much easier then . . ?

Even the new method is still too hard for some of us.  (I know I'm going catch heat for saying this, but it is what it is)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Some maps are rough without Skyscale. Anet could improve on specific map gimmicks, to help people who don't have flying. Look at NK. Some more Ziplines, wouldn't hurt anyone. Know what I mean?

Could use Jet Packs in capital cities too, if you catch my drift 👀.

Edited by SnackParty.3178
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/18/2024 at 4:22 PM, SnackParty.3178 said:

Could use Jet Packs in capital cities too, if you catch my drift 👀

I don't catch your drift at all, what would that solve? The cities are generally easy to explore, there's no time pressure, and at least two of them have PoIs that force you to go into an instance anyway. At best, it would mean you could skip instances in Rata Sum, because two of the three instance PoIs there can be easily obtained with mounts, but it takes a bit more effort to get up to the council chamber due to a lot of the terrain beneath having no collision.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

I don't catch your drift at all, what would that solve? The cities are generally easy to explore, there's no time pressure, and at least two of them have PoIs that force you to go into an instance anyway. At best, it would mean you could skip instances in Rata Sum, because two of the three instance PoIs there can be easily obtained with mounts, but it takes a bit more effort to get up to the council chamber due to a lot of the terrain beneath having no collision.

Reminds me, a skateboard would also be nice, get up them ramps faster.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:05 PM, Lambent.6375 said:

Even the new method is still too hard for some of us.  (I know I'm going catch heat for saying this, but it is what it is)

I'm suprised I don't find complaints that logging into the game and moving the character is hard at this point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

There are always those people that find something to complain about no matter what you do. When I returned in 2021, I started with HoT without any mounts (so, before you got the free raptor like now). Even without any mounts I was able to keep up with all events I wanted to do. I never felt pressured - No, I was hyped to get to PoF for those mounts.

Nowadays you get a free raptor which can easily keep up with skyscales on most maps. But complaining is easier I guess?

Edited by Radiancee.6537
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Radiancee.6537 said:

There are always those people that find something to complain about no matter what you do. When I returned in 2021, I started with HoT without any mounts (so, before you got the free raptor like now). Even without any mounts I was able to keep up with all events I wanted to do. I never felt pressured - No, I was hyped to get to PoF for those mounts.

Nowadays you get a free raptor which can easily keep up with skyscales on most maps. But complaining is easier I guess?

There's always those people who confuse feedback with complaining. I'm taking up for the op on this one. Let folks share THEIR perspective.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Here's my two pennies worth.

Every map can be completed at the level that map was released.

All Heart of Thorn maps can be completed without any mounts whatsoever. You just need to train the masteries for gliding. After all, how do you think we did it when HoT was first released?

Path of Fire maps can be done using the mounts released in Path of Fire. Of course, again, you need to do the respective hearts and train the masteries.

Even End of Dragons can be done without a flying mount, but again, you need to get the jade bot masteries so you can use zip lines and teleporters. And also there are those little raptor taxis.

Dragonfall and Secrets of the Obscure give you the skyscale. Obviously they're meant to be played using a skyscale.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SnackParty.3178 said:

There's always those people who confuse feedback with complaining. I'm taking up for the op on this one. Let folks share THEIR perspective.

"All you do is end up chasing after others and by the time u get there the event is over, rinse and repeat."

- This is complaining. And complaining is just another sort of feedback.

Edited by Radiancee.6537
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I said that the skyscale was OP and that it made all other mounts pretty much obsolete to the point at which you dont actually have to play the game (you don't have to dismount), but everyone was ok with it, seems the topic is back again. 

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

5 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

I said that the skyscale was OP and that it made all other mounts pretty much obsolete to the point at which you dont actually have to play the game (you don't have to dismount), but everyone was ok with it, seems the topic is back again. 

Dang, and here I was thinking that the skyscale makes the game easier to play.

You don't have to dismount? So you're one of those lazy players who just hovers and shoots fireball while we others cc and all that good stuff?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SnackParty.3178 said:

"No point in joining any outdoor (ow?) activity without flying mount" is a complaint that's not even correct btw.
Nobody says "folks can't share THEIR perspective", except for now the only thing OP did after starting this thread was pop back in with his "haaa queensdale players farming copper ore!" remark. He's wrong and doesn't share any "perspective" here, it's nothing more than an empty complaint followed by a bad attempt at ridiculing the answers he got.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Apparently, my comment was too confusing to follow... 🤨
Let me elaborate: depending on the events, skyscales are likely only some of the problem - a lot of players dump all their damage instead of just tagging in events so not everyone gets a chance, especially in older and lower level content where up-to-date specs can solo most of the "group" content.
I'm an absolute altoholic so I see a couple of capped-out jerks wiping out events/group content in a measure of seconds all the time while other players are still running at it to try and tag.
Either you know who I'm talking about, or you're clutching your pearls because you are who I'm talking about.
I'm not saying having/not having a skyscale doesn't make a difference, but I don't think it's the sole problem and I don't think it should be blamed as the sole problem.

Edited by Obnoxa.6702
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Anyandrell.6238 said:

Dang, and here I was thinking that the skyscale makes the game easier to play.

You don't have to dismount? So you're one of those lazy players who just hovers and shoots fireball while we others cc and all that good stuff?

yah its intended gameplay isnt it?

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

yah its intended gameplay isnt it?

To interpret leeching and letting others do the real stuff while dealing 0 DPS and not doing anything as intended gameplay is ... interesting - to say it friendly.

The intended mechanic for the fireball certainly is not camping it and being literally useless. It is intended as a filler mechanic between engages.

Edited by Radiancee.6537
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 5/16/2024 at 5:39 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't think I've ever seen an HP train that requires a flying mount.

I've never seen one that needed more than a raptor and springer, and springer is usually optional.

• Confused 1

On 5/19/2024 at 1:57 PM, Dami.5046 said:

crikey, logging into a game and actually doing something. wow. 

Right? 

What do people expect nowadays? Log in a free to play game and get everything all at once? I don't even think Grouch gets that privilege lol. 

SOTO is practically handing you the skyscale. You didn't have to do the crazy long  LWS4 quests to obtain it like the vets did. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Radiancee.6537 said:

To interpret leeching and letting others do the real stuff while dealing 0 DPS and not doing anything as intended gameplay is ... interesting - to say it friendly.

The intended mechanic for the fireball certainly is not camping it and being literally useless. It is intended as a filler mechanic between engages.

Guess you never heard of this achievement then

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/A_Record_of_War:_The_Celestial

Guess its not leeching, and I guess its intended gameplay

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 5/15/2024 at 6:42 PM, Madafacar.4912 said:

As the title says. All you do is end up chasing after others and by the time u get there the event is over, rinse and repeat. 

Too bad, the game looks fun but chasing after others all the time is tiring.

If you're quitting send me your gold here thanks.