No point in joining any outdoors activity without flying mount

As the title says. All you do is end up chasing after others and by the time u get there the event is over, rinse and repeat. 

Too bad, the game looks fun but chasing after others all the time is tiring.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 2

Only easier if you own SotO.  If you haven't bought that, then you need to do the other longer process.  I think SotO has made this problem worse just because so many more people have flying mounts, but it was still a problem for a while.  I know that some of the HoT hero runs will specifically advertise what mount requirements (or not) one needs.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

There's plenty of 'outdoor activities' where you don't have to chase after others. Map exploration, local hearts, story parts that happen in open world maps. For all those it doesn't matter what other players are doing. The only activity where you may lag behind without mounts is events or perhaps rift hunting (which you'd only be interested in if you have SoTo, which has access to skyscale). You can just not do events if they get cleared too quickly by people with mounts, until you're able to keep up - or just do events that spawn near you. It's a very small portion of the content the game offers that you may miss out on if you're not fast enough to go from point A to point B without mounts. Up to you if you wanna let that bit ruin the game for you to the point that you can't enjoy the rest of it until you get the mounts yourself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Having been here for ~4 years allows plenty of time to have acquired a flying mount.  Unless, of course, you've not taken advantage of purchasing Path of Fire and/or Secrets of the Obscure. 

Secrets of the Obscure may be discounted later this year when the next expansion releases.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Futa.4375 said:

I'll keep saying it but flying mounts were a mistake, mounts are a mistake in MMORPGs in general.

There are minor drawbacks, but the benefits from both outweigh them. Lauded by players for the most part and they clearly generate sales. The complaint here isn't without merit, but no feature is added without affecting someone negatively and this is one where the positives far, far outweigh the issues.

I think mounts have done more to help sustain the game than any other single feature added

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps the mistake is expecting to run across the map and make it in time for an event. Use the nearest waypoint and raptor/jackal to get to the event. If you have it, the roller beetle is the fastest mount on land. The skyscale is versatile, not fast. If, however, you're trying to chase a griffon- good luck!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

All you do is end up chasing after others and by the time u get there the event is over, rinse and repeat. 

As others have said, this isn't usually the case in the majority of content, so it'd be helpful to know what it actually is you're struggling to keep up with. The only places I can think of that are like that are Dragonfall and Drizzlewood Coast, which are both unusually fast-paced maps, but a good commander will try and get the squad to go slow enough for people to keep up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Futa.4375 said:

I'll keep saying it but flying mounts were a mistake, mounts are a mistake in MMORPGs in general.

I'd say they're more a double-edged sword. They have their uses and do add some value to gameplay, but they also have their drawbacks, the most glaring of which is the significantly lower amount of waypoints in maps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

I see a lot of bros stuck in Queensdale farming copper ore. 

You don't need a flying mount, or, for that matter, any kind of mount, to walk through a portal to another map from Queensdale; or to use a Waypoint to any other starter map. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

As the title says. All you do is end up chasing after others and by the time u get there the event is over, rinse and repeat. 

Too bad, the game looks fun but chasing after others all the time is tiring.

4 hours ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

I see a lot of bros stuck in Queensdale farming copper ore. 

I have 6 accounts, 1 main and 5 alts. Only my main has all the mounts including the skyscale and griffon. The alt accounts only have the 4 basic mounts. When I'm doing open world pve dailies and weeklies on my alt accounts, I'm able to keep up just fine. This week I did Joko invasions on all 5 alt accounts. Yes, one has to rush from incursion to incursion to get tagged in on them but I was able to do it with only the basic mounts. Oh, and if I happen to be in Queensdale on any of the 6 accounts, I'll farm copper ore there. It has nothing to do with which accounts of mine do or don't have flying mounts.

• Like 4

always something to cry about. even when anet makes it easier to get skyscale, they see it as even bigger problem now that more ppl have mount, why are you always on the short end of thing. lol why.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

No point in joining any outdoors activity without flying mount

When I do outdoor activities, I don't need a flying mount (and then I don't sit in front of my computer) 😉

scnr. 😇

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Mounts are cool, sure. Some of the changes they caused to map and event design however? Not so much.

This, one of the many reasons I'm not getting on with sota is you're forced into skyskale. Whilst that mount is convenient for me at least it's not really fun.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Only easier if you own SotO.  If you haven't bought that, then you need to do the other longer process.  I think SotO has made this problem worse just because so many more people have flying mounts, but it was still a problem for a while.  I know that some of the HoT hero runs will specifically advertise what mount requirements (or not) one needs.

I don't think I've ever seen an HP train that requires a flying mount.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1