Legendary Weapon Starter Kits feel samey

6 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

I like to complete legendary collection of the one I'm crafting... Wish anet had an option to choose bunch of mystic clovers and t6 gifts ... So I can leave out the precursor and get value from those starter kit

Same here. I like the idea of the legendary starter kit, but if I'm making a legendary for myself I want to do the precursor collection, and I don't want to do all the other stuff just to make one to sell, so I haven't gotten any of the kits yet.

If there was another option, like choosing between the precursor or the materials required for the collection (because collecting 1000 mithril or whatever isn't the interesting part) I'd get them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Three greatswords 😉

Eternity does not count, as it does not have its own gift or precursor. Sunrise and Twilight however definitely do, because the items in the Kit that are for specific legendary are not exchangeable for those two.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Did I miss something? When and who said that this is the last kit we will get? Changing ONLY 2 everytime is better because it will last longer until the cycle is complete, not in one year. So I am almost sure that at some point you will have option to get one you need or want. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

I can't believe people are still bothered with gen 1 anyway. I guess I'm just old but I haven't bothered with gen 1 in over 6 years or so except to sell when I get a random pre to craft as a drop. Damned if ya do anet. Damned if ya dont.

Why not get Gen1 weapons? They have the same QoL functionalities and if you don't like the newer skins or don't care which skins they have, then you go with the cheapest ones. By definition that's not Gen2 and Gen3 used to be more expensive than Gen1; currently they cost around the same to make as Gen1 but that's where the kits come in. And don't forget that there are still a good amount of people who don't have all expansions. You do need expansions to have access to Gen2 and 3 weapons.

A while back I made Frostfang because I needed a legendary axe purely for the QoL stuff. Back then Gen1 was still a lot cheaper to make than Gen3 which is why I chose Frostfang. So, those are some of the reasons why people are still bothered with Gen1.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Answer me directly:
So you think they repeated weapons because they were unlocked in the expansion? Or maaaybe they decided to slow down the cycle by providing 2 copies of each? If it was supposed to be strictly about soto unlocked weapons, we probably shouldn't be getting hammer/dagger now, but instead neatly circle back to the first 2 -unrepeated- weapons and restart the cycle in the next expansions depending on the unlocked weapons.
So yes, for now I find "The legendary starter kits have repeated too many Legendary weapons . I was lenient with the first two as they were trying to focus on the expanded weapon skills for class" to be a baseless made up theory and the rest of my post applies too, as far as I'm aware.

That's not what you quoted though. What you quoted was the part about:

as they were trying to focus on the expanded weapon skills for classes

That bit seems reasonable enough as all the weapons in the first three legendary starter sets were the new weapons given to classes in SotO. 

The rest of their post was pure looney tunes but that seems reasonable enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Why not get Gen1 weapons? They have the same QoL functionalities and if you don't like the newer skins or don't care which skins they have, then you go with the cheapest ones. By definition that's not Gen2 and Gen3 used to be more expensive than Gen1; currently they cost around the same to make as Gen1 but that's where the kits come in. And don't forget that there are still a good amount of people who don't have all expansions. You do need expansions to have access to Gen2 and 3 weapons.

A while back I made Frostfang because I needed a legendary axe purely for the QoL stuff. Back then Gen1 was still a lot cheaper to make than Gen3 which is why I chose Frostfang. So, those are some of the reasons why people are still bothered with Gen1.

That's more of a convenience issue rather then the drive it used to take to make one. You didn't want it for its awful looks, just utility, I'd argue that's all they are. They haven't aged well. Just because someone is too broke to afford gen 2 doesn't mean gen 1 is back. To create a topic like this surprises me. I guess gold just isn't an issue anymore when you reach 6 figures lol. I need to walk amongst the peasants more I guess.

Edited by Wolfofdivinity.6251
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I think part of the inspiration for the starter kits was to make these weapons more accessible for people who needed them when their profession got access to them recently. Many professions now dual wield the same weapons because of it. Like pistol, sword, axe, and many professions also just got access to staff and shortbow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:23 PM, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

I can't believe people are still bothered with gen 1 anyway. I guess I'm just old but I haven't bothered with gen 1 in over 6 years or so except to sell when I get a random pre to craft as a drop. Damned if ya do anet. Damned if ya dont.

We've not all been here that long, a lot of us are newer. I don't have a single gen 1 crafted yet.  September this year will bring me to two years since I stuck with the game. 

I've been waiting for the howler and was hopeful it would appear, I had to double check it was gen 1 when it didn't. Maybe next season. But it's not very exciting knowing half the box is a duplicate imo. Not super mad at it either though. FFXIV drops it's new expansion next month anyway, I'm more hyped for that right now so by the time content there winds down we should be in a new season and I can cross fingers I can get my howler then!

• Like 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tom.8029 said:

I think part of the inspiration for the starter kits was to make these weapons more accessible for people who needed them when their profession got access to them recently. Many professions now dual wield the same weapons because of it. Like pistol, sword, axe, and many professions also just got access to staff and shortbow. 

Some people are confused.  So I'll elaborate: expanded weapon proficiencies for each profession when SoTO was released.  Remember?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aelin.9317 said:

We've not all been here that long, a lot of us are newer. I don't have a single gen 1 crafted yet.  September this year will bring me to two years since I stuck with the game. 

I've been waiting for the howler and was hopeful it would appear, I had to double check it was gen 1 when it didn't. Maybe next season. But it's not very exciting knowing half the box is a duplicate imo. Not super mad at it either though. FFXIV drops it's new expansion next month anyway, I'm more hyped for that right now so by the time content there winds down we should be in a new season and I can cross fingers I can get my howler then!

Good luck to ya sir, that was one of my 1st as well. Still one of the best the art department has ever produced. 

Still the pre is dirt cheap right now and that specific gift is fairly cheap too if I'm not mistaken. You may not want to wait in regards to these silly boxes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I've never understood why this bothers ppl. You can only pick one per cycle. What if the two I wanted were both offered in the first set? Do I have to wait for that one to roll around again? How is that better than someone else having to wait for the one they want to cycle in? This complaint makes no sense . . .

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

That's more of a convenience issue rather then the drive it used to take to make one. You didn't want it for its awful looks, just utility, I'd argue that's all they are. They haven't aged well. Just because someone is too broke to afford gen 2 doesn't mean gen 1 is back. To create a topic like this surprises me. I guess gold just isn't an issue anymore when you reach 6 figures lol. I need to walk amongst the peasants more I guess.

Your condescension aside, most people simply don't have the gold to be able to afford just anything. Either because they're new(er) players or because they don't like to grind for gold. I know grinding gold is easy but it's not the playstyle of a lot of people, myself included. And you should be thankful for that because otherwise your 6 figures wouldn't be worth nearly as much. When a currency is plentiful it loses its value after all.

Gen1 skins I did get for their looks are the 3 GS skins and I still use them to this day. Tthere's no accounting for taste really and I know people do love some of the Gen1 skins. I can understand people loving Kudzu if they want a nature-based look, for example. Personally I got Pharus but that's just me.

You asked why anybody gets Gen1 weapons these days and I answered. I'll list them for convenience:

• People may not have the expansions that are needed for Gen2 and Gen3
  • People may actually like some of those skins, your subjective opinion notwithstanding
  • People get them for the QoL that they come with since the Legendary Armory in particular

They're all valid reasons in my view but I do think you underestimate the "convenience issue" because the Legendary Armory made a huge difference in that. Now, I'm not saying they're not old. They are, but they still have value for people for the reasons listed above. Perhaps that initial drive that you experienced has evolved to a more pragmatic stance for a lot of people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

Good luck to ya sir, that was one of my 1st as well. Still one of the best the art department has ever produced. 

Still the pre is dirt cheap right now and that specific gift is fairly cheap too if I'm not mistaken. You may not want to wait in regards to these silly boxes!

Thankin yous ^.^ 

I really like it and I've also been hoping to get the magic gift thingy out the box... i keep getting might from every one. I feel cursed. 

I'll look into the gift though! Thanks 🙂

My leggy list is still so long, I wanna make chuka and champawat, nevermore, more aurene weapons and then finish medium armour set along with the last couple accessories... I've been on the kralk ore step for one of them for months x) it's no fun so I procrastinate!

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Eternity does not count, as it does not have its own gift or precursor. Sunrise and Twilight however definitely do,

However, one could say that - in a way - Sunrise and Twilight are kind of precursors to Eternity. 😎

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

However, one could say that - in a way - Sunrise and Twilight are kind of precursors to Eternity. 😎

Doesn't matter. What matters is what is in Legendary Kit chests - and they contain only legendary-specific precursors and gifts. There's no Gift of Eternity, nor there's a precursor for it that could be included in that Kit chest.

You could say that Eternity is covered by chests for both Twilight and Sunrise. Which is (again) a reason for why there should be both of those chests.

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Aelin.9317 said:

I really like it and I've also been hoping to get the magic gift thingy out the box... i keep getting might from every one. I feel cursed. 

That has been my experience too, so I've been wondering if it's related to the one you pick. So far, I've only picked the "martial" types on offer. The scepter and staff were in the first kit iirc, but I didn't choose either of those (and those two are also the ones which haven't repeated yet). If it's as simple as caster weapon = magic, martial weapon = might, that would be great to know.

Has anyone reading here gotten the gift of magic, and if so which weapon was the kit for?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gazrul.3086 said:

Does anyone know what the chance of getting gift of magic is? This is the fourth time I've gotten gift of might, and it's frustrating. 

The wiki just says it’s random. Not what the chances are. I opened my 3 and all of them gave a Gift of Might as well. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gazrul.3086 said:

Does anyone know what the chance of getting gift of magic is? This is the fourth time I've gotten gift of might, and it's frustrating. 

So far, my gift has been the same as the weapon type... gift of might for "physical" weapons ( mace, hammer, rifle ) and gift of magic for "magic" weapons (scepter.) I haven't opened kits on the second account yet

EDIT: to be clear, the weapons i listed were the kits i actually opened , and received the gift i linked to the weapon.

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
removed the word "like"
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Wolfofdivinity.6251 said:

"it for its awful looks" "They haven't aged well."

the chuck you talking about? they aged fantastically and i see them used more often than gen 2 as skins alone. in fact most gen2 i see are merely the non goofy version of gen 1 and yet i still see gen1 weapon types just as much. i don't see people use shanur and shooshaloo at all. 
gen3 its its own thing as they are skins galore ofor them to have elemental and color matches but they are all samey.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

So far, my gift has been the same as the weapon type... gift of might for "physical" weapons like mace, hammer, rifle... and gift of magic for "magic" weapons like scepter. I haven't opened kits on the second account yet

It's not tied to the type (i.e i got magic for rifle). Just random. People that got few gifts of the samet type in a row are just a bit unlucky. Notice, btw, that 3 gifts of might in a row is 12.5% chance. Four would be 6.25%. (and if it's four of the same type, regardless if it's might or magic, it's double that) That's still high enough that a lot of people will end up with that result.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Your condescension aside, most people simply don't have the gold to be able to afford just anything. Either because they're new(er) players or because they don't like to grind for gold. I know grinding gold is easy but it's not the playstyle of a lot of people, myself included. And you should be thankful for that because otherwise your 6 figures wouldn't be worth nearly as much. When a currency is plentiful it loses its value after all.

Gen1 skins I did get for their looks are the 3 GS skins and I still use them to this day. Tthere's no accounting for taste really and I know people do love some of the Gen1 skins. I can understand people loving Kudzu if they want a nature-based look, for example. Personally I got Pharus but that's just me.

You asked why anybody gets Gen1 weapons these days and I answered. I'll list them for convenience:

• People may not have the expansions that are needed for Gen2 and Gen3
  • People may actually like some of those skins, your subjective opinion notwithstanding
  • People get them for the QoL that they come with since the Legendary Armory in particular

They're all valid reasons in my view but I do think you underestimate the "convenience issue" because the Legendary Armory made a huge difference in that. Now, I'm not saying they're not old. They are, but they still have value for people for the reasons listed above. Perhaps that initial drive that you experienced has evolved to a more pragmatic stance for a lot of people.

Quite to the contrary, it is simply vexing that there would still be a demand for them to the point in which a person would feel the need to create a thread chastising Arenanet for their choice to double up yet again. 

No matter the reason. Gen 1 legendaries are trivial at best and out dated at worst. For all the things to complain about, free Legendary weapon kits are so pedantic and pointless.

Yes quite. Pip pip.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not tied to the type (i.e i got magic for rifle). Just random. People that got few gifts of the samet type in a row are just a bit unlucky. Notice, btw, that 3 gifts of might in a row is 12.5% chance. Four would be 6.25%. (and if it's four of the same type, regardless if it's might or magic, it's double that) That's still high enough that a lot of people will end up with that result.

i never said it was... i just listed off which weapons gave me which gifts, and said "SO FAR." that phrase means that things can change with other samples outside of the samples i have currently opened. Which is why i also mentioned that i haven't opened the samples on my other account.

with respect, you could have simply added your sample data to the thread, without implying that i said something that i didn't say

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 8:02 AM, Suyheuti.1732 said:

I can tell you where the true scam is.

Legendary Starter Kit prerequisite is Secret of the Obscure expansion. 
Is there any connection to SotO or any another expansion? Why should people buy SotO to get basic thing? I would understand if it demands upgraded account, but this, I dont know.

pre-requisite is an odd way to categorise a minor fast track item introduces with an expansion.  People buy SOTO because it provides new content, not because it gave an easier method for crafting a legendary.  If you just wanted to craft the legendary cheaply you could have saved the money on the expansion and bought it with gold.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1