The Boon Ball Meta  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Boon ball meta yea or nay

• I love it - Keeps my group safe - Keep up the good work Anet
    • I hate it - So tired of it - Get rid of it already before I quit the game
    • Doesn't affect me - I avoid them - I roam
    • My unique answer doesn't fit in any category but my own

On 5/30/2024 at 2:26 PM, Aeolus.3615 said:

1 or 2 boon strip on 40cd whch leads to a gimmick or rotation every 40 sec even when 40 players trying to make use of it at the same time?

Won't solve anything just a placebo... it  sounds well and looks nice on papar but in game would make  a weak impact or barely nothing due how Anet keeps adding easier aways to keep perma boons and most with max duration and stacks, would just be a few milliseconds of w/o boons at max...

I think it makes the boon more of you must keep applying kind of how boon should be (not long duration.) So not 40 sec cd on the stirp but more like 15-25 sec on the sameish cast time of boon generation. I would even love targeted boon strip where the strip will always go for an type of boon but at the cost of going after no other.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

I think it makes the boon more of you must keep applying kind of how boon should be (not long duration.) So not 40 sec cd on the stirp but more like 15-25 sec on the sameish cast time of boon generation. I would even love targeted boon strip where the strip will always go for an type of boon but at the cost of going after no other.

Targeted boon strip needs to happen, its actually something that already should happened yesterday being on skills or other source to put some sanity in some boons.

For example warrior dome IMO should target quickness in 1st place.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

6 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

i think a good start would be to replace the boon duration stat on minstrel gear with something else, so you have to choose between heal power or boon durtion not both.

PvE is the main game mode and most of us would love to keep our Minstrel BDs in PvE, F right off plz.
Also, Givers exists and its only moderately less tanky than Minstrel, you will 100% make the same complaint about that too, until healers get nothing in PvE to play with.
Lets just kitten over "everything that doesnt suit your playstyle", the same way Anet is doing to you then?

• Confused 2

On 5/28/2024 at 1:35 AM, latlat.4516 said:

Ah yes, the boonball still being meta. 

Guys, we're slowly entering a time of celestial scourge meta. You will soon understand the reason old timers hate condi gameplay. Brace yourselves, the time of not even being able to play is coming. 

My current record is 17 seconds.  Feared for 17 seconds without a single chance to use an ability.  That, is with 2 stunbreaks that the instant I hit stunbreak was still already feared.  But, moa is a problem because some thief got kitten someone moa'd them during the .1 second they were visible.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, MercurialKuroSludge.8974 said:

PvE is the main game mode and most of us would love to keep our Minstrel BDs in PvE, F right off plz.
Also, Givers exists and its only moderately less tanky than Minstrel, you will 100% make the same complaint about that too, until healers get nothing in PvE to play with.
Lets just kitten over "everything that doesnt suit your playstyle", the same way Anet is doing to you then?

dude it's the WVW forums, PVE forums are that way ===>

no reason why Anet couldn't change or remove boon duration on minstrels for WVW only. 

minstrels in PVE only matters for tanking anyway right? side note, Giver's doesn't have vitality, so it's less survivable, which in WVW would be a good thing -- you should be able to maximise tankiness + heal output + boon output with the same set of gear, there should be a tradeoff.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

dude it's the WVW forums, PVE forums are that way ===>

no reason why Anet couldn't change or remove boon duration on minstrels for WVW only. 

minstrels in PVE only matters for tanking anyway right? side note, Giver's doesn't have vitality, so it's less survivable, which in WVW would be a good thing -- you should be able to maximise tankiness + heal output + boon output with the same set of gear, there should be a tradeoff.

Dude, its the GW2 Forums, your brain is somewhere out THAT way, in the Pacific trenches.

No reason why Anet has to hardcode stat sets to be different in PvE and WvW, just to suit some loud minority like you.
You are better off asking for Anet to port the sPvP gearing system from sPvP to WvW, which is what you really are suggesting anyway.
AND to top it all off, thats been discussed 10 million times and not even the majority of forum peeps support that idea.

Also, if they cant even fix some year old bugs like Spelden/Camp contest markers and terrain exploits, what makes you think them touching stats for WvW is good idea?
You think stat sets magically are the only thing immune to bad/old coding?

"Go back to PvE" isn't a comeback, since you are unilaterally trying to change things for both modes and didn't even consider the consequences of your suggestions.
Stop justifying your lack of foresight and grasp of the situation with petty snark.
You just didn't think things through.

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

The think is that you cant remove boon ball without reworking half of the abilites. There is just too many cc and pull garbage in the game that you cant make five steps without being CCed or pulled around like a cheap hooker. Fights are just not playable without perma uptime of certain buffs. No matter if you fight a boon ball or just a cloud.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lindstroem.3601 said:

The think is that you cant remove boon ball without reworking half of the abilites. There is just too many cc and pull garbage in the game that you cant make five steps without being CCed or pulled around like a cheap hooker. Fights are just not playable without perma uptime of certain buffs. No matter if you fight a boon ball or just a cloud.

One boon already takes care of all the cc's.... But in any case the other problem with cc's is there is no diminishing returns on cc in this game, they expect you to have stability or stun break to fix that problem, meanwhile they're stingy on handing it out and let one class have the monopoly on the group version of it.

So fights are not playable without perma uptime stability, sure, the other 11 boons though....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i quit already that good enough? 😛 
boonball meta is really kitten, i understand we need boons to fight. but pulling all boons out of ur kitten just like its nothing is boring as kitten.
dunno why anet thinks we need this much boons with a little to no effort.

• Like 6

I voted 2 but given how little wvw I've played the last 5 years it's more like I already quit. Even when it was just firebrand and scrapper I hated it. Even before the damage got gutted in 2020 I had conversations with other hammer rev players about how unsatisfying it was to drop your full combo and watch their health bars not even move. At the time it started everyone hailed the antitoxin scrapper as our saviour from the condi meta but the minstrel meta has turned into something so much worse.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

So today I participated in a lords room fight that lasted about 45mins, where 30+ minutes consisted of 25ish attackers turtling up on the fire keep lord, not moving, just literally turtling in place and doing PVE healing and DPS rotations on the boss while approx 30ish defenders attacked into them with skills and various siege.

Eventually the lord went down and they continued to turtle in place until the ring captured. No tactics, no skill, just stand still and execute PVE rotation.

It was pathetic.

This is as bad or worse as WVW when GW2 originally released, before boons and heals had 5 player caps.

If this isn't evidence enough that WVW has been run into the ground balance-wise, i don't know what would convince you.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, XenesisII.1540 said:

One boon already takes care of all the cc's.... But in any case the other problem with cc's is there is no diminishing returns on cc in this game, they expect you to have stability or stun break to fix that problem, meanwhile they're stingy on handing it out and let one class have the monopoly on the group version of it.

So fights are not playable without perma uptime stability, sure, the other 11 boons though....

You need all the other boons or striping away stability would be way too easy.

As said, if you wanna get rid of the boon ball you would need to remove/change literally half the abilites in this game. Everyone knows that this wont happen anymore.

Edited by lindstroem.3601
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Teapot mentioned in his latest stream that there's a major decrease in Public Tagging in WvW. 

I suspect the main reason for this is the rise of the boon ball meta.  Boon Ball meta has killed pugging in WvW because there's no way to fight these super organized groups anymore.  

Back then a bunch of good players have a good chance of fighting blobs by outsmarting them and clouding the blobs. Players can strategize with siege if they are outnumbered. 

Now those tactics are gone. 

90% of the tags now are Private Guild Tags that are organized. 

So good luck to the newer players that tries to join this game mode. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Bunny.9834 said:

Teapot mentioned in his latest stream that there's a major decrease in Public Tagging in WvW. 

I suspect the main reason for this is the rise of the boon ball meta.  Boon Ball meta has killed pugging in WvW because there's no way to fight these super organized groups anymore.  

Back then a bunch of good players have a good chance of fighting blobs by outsmarting them and clouding the blobs. Players can strategize with siege if they are outnumbered. 

Now those tactics are gone. 

90% of the tags now are Private Guild Tags that are organized. 

So good luck to the newer players that tries to join this game mode. 

I already mentioned this a couple times in the past, and people have ignored it so whatevs, the devs don't give two kittens about how it affects wvw as a whole either, we get what we deserve from boon balling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't think boon blob is the issue. A lot of groups have started to get super competitive in the WvW scene. Discord seems to be required because voice comms are just easier to follow. Teamworks and objectives are now in sync. Funny enough it is not the big blobs before that are steam rolling it is the competitive GvG groups that teams up that are steam rolling big groups.

• Confused 4

On 6/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, lindstroem.3601 said:

Pull spam is miserable and one of the worst mechanic designs in any game I've ever played.

It's also not nearly as bad as you make it out. I main staff ele and mostly cloud where I am usually standing alone with no support and no stability. Every now and then I get caught out and pulled forcing me to burn my utilities to get out, but for the most part good positioning and movement keep me out of trouble. 

They do need to give every pull in the game an Updraft level telegraph where you get a giant yellow warning around you that you have 3 seconds to dodge or you will be CCed. It's impossible to track animation telegraphs in a 120 player fight. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So to clear up confusion is the issue with no skill blobs or blobs in general because if it is blobs in general that will not be fixed until the scoring is changed imo. Currently at peak hours or blob hours it is more favorable to blob and fight other blobs because PPK is more favorable to win over ppt to the point that unless you own 6 keeps and SMC and most towers and camps it doesn't really matter about PPT

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I already mentioned this a couple times in the past, and people have ignored it so whatevs, the devs don't give two kittens about how it affects wvw as a whole either, we get what we deserve from boon balling.

Yup, the poll speak for itself. 

I miss those days that a really good, smart commander can lead a group of randos into winning a fight against blobs. 

• Like 2