Janthir Wilds - skyscales zergs will kill the immersion

19 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

skyscales zergs will kill the immersion

You're in Tyria. Dragons are part of the immersion.

Skyscale's do piddly damage barely sufficient for tagging and I'm almost certain your idea of skyscale zergs being something is the Dragon Stampede events in the starter areas. Downleveled players in the beginning areas are always going to make everything look ridiculous.

Those are hardly representative.

19 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

If trailer promises a wild, rugged, untamed and challenging land, then I hope a-net will translate this into gameplay,
with mechanics or/and restrictions preventing just zerging/flying over the content

Indeed most players would be focused on training their new spear and warclaw mastery stuff. No doubt the new areas will have things focused on these new warclaw skills and tricks. Or if nothing else, people like using their new shiny.

Regardless you can't stop players from zerging or grouping up or using their mounts in PvE to navigate and deal with the environment, the thing they were designed for. You individually don't have to play that way or join them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

You also have to remember, it's "wild" until our arrival. One of the themes in GW2 has always been how modern progression has taken over the natural, more primitive order of things. Our own history is replete with wilderness areas being overun with explorers bring modern exploration methods to tame it

- Deteating Zhaitan with modern weaponry not seen before

- The Charr building every greater industrial armies

- Lions Arch rebuilt to concrete and open spaces rather than wood, cramped areas and decay

- Cantha being a technological advancement unlike anything seen before

Much like our world, Tyria is shrinking thanks to modern progression. And whilst from a gameplay point of view it can be problematic, from a modern lore point of view, it it's actually consistent

• Like 3

this Very topic was discussed ad nauseam during EoD's pre-purchase period, and none of those concerns ever made it into the game.

the Dev's are aware of the Skyscales abilities (they made the thing!) they also know how to build maps to restrict its movement to slow down exploration; the skyscale has limitations

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

As a sidenote: use q or queue. Que is pronounced very differently - but that's just a personal gripe.

I think you mean 'cue'.  The OP wasn't mentioning 'waiting in line' in the sentence, but 'begin/start' (the music).  :classic_smile:

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lets make into a community event , just like the Extra Life fractals , where participation increase the next Tier reward

Everyone starts on foot , and people doing events unlock randomly mounts for the rest of the server (1 per day) . At the 3rd you get an item that allows you to choose the mount of your choice , or a Mount that has an extra secret mechanic , that normally will be unlocked in next March , or choose an item+ random mount(Bunny , or T1 Jackal without the unlocked Masteries) that progress the next Legendary item , or offer 20% chance where if you complete random events for a single week , you autocomplete a Monthly Astral Objective .

Essentially a gambling Mount De-powered mechanic (use T1 mounts , but progress the rewards that will come up in February vs move faster).

Also most people without Leylines , can not use properly the Skyscale , so theres no issue here

edit: If your main mode is OW , you can have more slots to choose from , or even choose RNG double options

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Confused 5

Skyscale is a mistake. They should only deal damage to marked targets or siege structures in specific maps, such as the Inner Nayos gates and the final part of the meta involving the towers with eyes.
Currently, lazy players who don’t want to contribute meaningfully just press one button while a minority of players do the hard work.

My dream is for Janthir Wilds to have a giant laser that instantly kills these types of unproductive players on their Skyscales.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, nopoet.2960 said:

Would be neat if there was fog that prevented players from targeting mobs on the ground while flying.

and thats only going to make the issue more prevalent because people are going to swarming closer to targets to hit them, and it will also break line of site on maps. its not a fix for what you perceive as a problem it s band aid, a bad one at that, and only introduces a place for metas and events to break.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think you mean 'cue'.  The OP wasn't mentioning 'waiting in line' in the sentence, but 'begin/start' (the music).  :classic_smile:

lol, yeah. I'm so used to people saying que instead of queue that it didn't occur to me that there was another mistake possible. Thanks for correcting me on that.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 6:26 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Helldivers is only available if you have a PlayStation Network account, even the steam version.  Sony got greedy and restricted access after Helldivers became popular.  There is a list of ineligible countries like 176 who lost access to the game on steam because of the PSN requirement. 
At least we know Anet isn't going to do such a thing.

Helldivers are possible to play without PlayStation Network account on steam. There are countries where PSN is unavailable that steam got restricted from selling to, but the requirement of PSN linking was backed out of.

Additionally, game was built and designed around PSN accounts being linked even for steam, it was noted on the steam page, and was something developers were keenly aware. But the linking system died on day 1 and CEO made decision on his own to "just let people play". It wasn't Sony getting greedy after Helldivers became popular, but rather Sony expecting Arrowhead to fulfill their neglected contractual obligations. Game being sold to PSN ineligible countries in the first place was huge oversight and screw-up on Sony part, but those that bought it (and didn't ask for refund) can still play it.

As for AN pulling similar things, there was that time, when NCSoft was trying to do single NCSoft account for all NCSoft games, and their had so hilarious security of those accounts, that GW1 - which had it forced upon them - had to specifically implement additional security features to stop people's accounts from being stolen to glitches (specifically requirement to put in a name of any character when logging in)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

lol, yeah. I'm so used to people saying que instead of queue that it didn't occur to me that there was another mistake possible. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Is no problem.  :classic_happy:

Grammar mistakes are way too often found on the forums.  Like defiantly instead of definitely, or my pet peeve noone instead of no one.  :classic_tongue:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Darkvramp.5640 said:

and thats only going to make the issue more prevalent because people are going to swarming closer to targets to hit them, and it will also break line of site on maps.

On the plus side, swarming closer to enemies would actually give it an element of risk by putting them in range of enemy attacks, as well as making them hold aggro, neither of which currently happen when fireballing from way up in the sky.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

They already have a solution for this only need to implement it. The snipers from Drizzlewood that shoot at flying players. Have them all over the place hidden in trees. They don't target grounded players, only players on Skyscale and Griffon. You can still use Skyscale but there is a good chance you'll get shot down fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Uh you're gonna be surprised. On release you're gonna see more warclaws than anything. After a couple weeks, it'll be skyscales again. Womp womp.

P.s. you can turn off other character models in settings 🙂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

On the plus side, swarming closer to enemies would actually give it an element of risk by putting them in range of enemy attacks, as well as making them hold aggro, neither of which currently happen when fireballing from way up in the sky.

That would be nerf, not a plus.it would also prevent you from seeing objectives and active events on a skyscale. It would also affect more spaghetti code to break.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darkvramp.5640 said:

That would be nerf, not a plus.it would also prevent you from seeing objectives and active events on a skyscale. It would also affect more spaghetti code to break.

I mean... yes, that's the point. This thread, and numerous others both here and on Reddit, are expressing frustration at the prevalence of skyscales in open world, how little they contribute to combat, and discussing how ANet might be able to mitigate that in the new expansion given they can't flat-out roll back a key mastery from SotO.

I'm not particularly sold on the fog idea myself, but I have to admit it would make skyscale have to play a more active — and therefore risky — role in combat.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/8/2024 at 11:04 PM, Zera.9435 said:

Yeah I think I get what you mean. I mentioned in another post that I expect that there will be areas where all mounts except warclaw are blocked from the player (similar to the block you get in jumping puzzles).

I agree. If the warclaw is now supposed to be the featured mount in JW's PvE, then Anet will hardly be able to avoid setting up no-fly zones. Because the Skyscale can do everything the Warclaw can in PvE - only better, and it can also fly while doing it.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've long entertained the notion that skyscales were a mistake, and that griffon should have been the only "flying" mount, as it requires you to be really smart with where you launch from and requires skill to get around, and doesn't nullify any of the ground mounts

But then I see the beauty and amazing design of many post-skyscale zones like Bjora Marches, Drizzlewood Coast, Seitung Province, Echovald Wilds, Dragon's End, and Skywatch Archipelago, and I see people still using roller beetles, raptors, skimmers, griffons, siege turtles, jackals, and the occasional Springer, and I start to question that notion - is this game really diminished by the skyscale?

I still don't have a definitive answer to that one way or another - either way, pandora's box was opened back in LWS4, and you can't close that box again. In that sense, I think arenanet did the right thing by tearing the lid off entirely, and just letting everyone use it without a huge grind - we can't take the skyscale out of the game, so we may as well acknowledge its existence and embrace it

The best thing Anet can do going forward is continue to design great zones knowing that players have skyscales, and design specific places where the other mounts can shine - maybe increase the jump height of springers and put in some really steep cliffs, and bring back sand portals in a fashion - I would love another jackal puzzle like they did with the Sanctum of Nabkha

Having a ton of water for the Skimmer and redesigning the warclaw is clearly a great start tho, and I fully expect people to use both of those often in Janthir, in addition to the Skyscale

Edit: oh, and bring back the mordrem/forged snipers

Those were a much better challenge for the skyscale and griffon than kryptis turrets ever were, and unlike the turrets they aren't annoying af to deal with as a player on the ground

Edited by LichOverlord.6329
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

I'm hoping they lean into the battle mount theme for its niche.... like the skyscale has its emergency take off  on a decent cooldown; imagine if we could mount up on the warclaw every 10-30s or something. Steal the dragon blood spear animations from LWS4 and give us ranged javelins to chuck from its back while riding. Or steal the WvW gate tether thing to cc mobs. There's a bunch of things you can do spear and javelin  related to fit into the expansion.

Won't solve people traveling from place to place on the sky scale, but might make for some cool, larger scale pve fights that require a bit more mobility. It certainly carve out an identity for itself.

44 minutes ago, kernco.2431 said:

I wouldn't be against a system like FFXIV has where flying mounts need to be unlocked on each map by first exploring the map without them.

There is absolutely nothing preventing you from exploring maps without flying mounts.  There is no need to force your preferences on everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

World of Warcraft suffered a similar issue for many years, they added flying, then they realized that players now consume content on an insane rate. So they started to add "Pathfinder" achievements in newer expansions to unlock flying.
They were huge achivements, like completing all storylines, raising reputations, exploring stuff etc.
Everyone hated it so much.
It felt like an artifical barrier preventing you from enjoying the game the way you want.
Blizzard was struggling a lot for years, then they finally copied Skyscale and Gryphon and merged them together into "Dragonriding" and eliminated the pathfinder requirements.
Taking away something you already have feels wrong. Please don't do it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kernco.2431 said:

I wouldn't be against a system like FFXIV has where flying mounts need to be unlocked on each map by first exploring the map without them.

I don't think that's a good idea 

I'd rather them just have snipers set up like in HoT/PoF, forcing you to be creative, and maybe roaming storms with a unique mechanic like the brandstorm in vabbi

If they want to ground us, make it skill-based or something interesting that requires creative flying to avoid, not just a debuff that blocks flight like in jumping puzzles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2