Spear Factor: Warrior, Thief, and Engineer

3 hours ago, Therac.6431 said:

I still can't believe they're actually listening to the players' demands when it comes to designing the spears. It's almost hard to talk about. I can't wait to see how they're going to roll out the housing system. Expectations are through the roof! I see people who are all about housing talking about GW2 like it's the release of a new The Sims.

Warrior = Amazing
Thief = Amazing
Engineer = Cool, looks promising 

The only demands were the ancient dust covered demands to have certain gw1 classes and mechanics brought over.

Warrior has Spellbreaker the sunspear remnant spec and thus it was always been the thought that theyd be the paragon weapon class though Paragon mechanics are still MIA. At least Gw1 Assassins can finally raise a hand.

Those animations are all looking really great so far, the Thief flip looks marvelous.

But I hae two feedbacks regarding the animations:
For Engineer at 0:55, the rotating spear animation is very cool but it looks awkward when it finishes building because the spear moves too much foward and then just appears behind making the animation look very rough, I think if that was fixed/cleaned up it would look much more smoother and pleasing to watch.

For Warrior at 1:22, you guys are missing a huge opportunity to put animated wings when the character gets above in the air and spin throwing the spear, that would be a really cool reference for Paragon in GW1, if backpacks items are a concern maybe hiding the backpack automatically could be a fix.
Another harder but cooler way would be to allow backpacks skins to be used instead for the animation, there is a bunch of cool wings skins and some even have model rigs and are animated to react to certain character animations: Vermilion Wings Backpack, Scaled Dragon Wings Backpack, Crystalline Wings Backpack, etc. The Vermilion Wings model rig could be used a base to create the animation and then basically all of those backpack wings would fit as an replacement for the wings of the animation, I don't know how much work that would require, but I bet people would love if that was a thing.

Edited by Lion.6590
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It seems the spear is a purely ranged weapon for warrior, which I like. Let's just hope it's a viable ranged weapon that does good raw damage, some CC, and some utility.

Engi looks interesting, kind of like virtuoso's floating daggers, but with spears. I'll definitely be checking that out.

Thief's variety between ranged and melee (like ranger) looks promising! I can't wait to try this one out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I love, I love, I love it (MOSTLY). I am not an Engineer enjoyer so I will not comment on that spear, other than it looks cool. I am however a Thief and Warrior main and I do got some concerns / thoughts in regard to the Thief spear. Keep in mind, this is subjective as hell. I am an Assassin and Monk enjoyer from the original GW and have been playing since one year after the release of prophecies. It goes without saying that the Thief hit me right in the nostalgia nerve - it is yet to  be told if you missed 😉 .

Animations 5/5: Amazing work. I was hoping for a more shadow magic vibe to the weapon, but this works aswel.

Dagger Mastery 5/5: I love the "lead-offhand-dual" attacks are getting attention!

Hybrid build 1/5: I do not fancy this one bit. I rather see you make up your mind on pick either condi or power - and personally I would prefer power. Almost every Thief weapon except Axe and to some degree Rifle, only requires you to spam 1 button in PVE. This is not great gameplay of course. But now.. If I want to play power spear, the condi attack chain is basically useless? Limiting me to a kite of 3 abilities (excluding the autos), from which one seems to be a stealth.. I would love to see if you have incorporated CC into the spear - if not here is my suggestion. Assassins in GW1 played the CC-combo an awful lot, especially in factions wars.. Why not have the Power combo (as you already designed) and add in a CC combo instead of the condi? Leaping Mantis Sting -> Jungle Strike -> Horns of the Ox. 

Playability on Deadeye: It seems to me that stealth attack of the spear will animation lock you. You will have to constantly stealth while as you constantly reset and regen Malice. This equals constant animation lock, which further can be compared to the bloody staff on Thief where you just spam "Staff 2". I do not foresee the spear to feel good on Deadeye if the stealth attack animation locks you. Please, make it possible to move slowly around while using this skill.

Playability on Specter: Well, only the condi part of the spear is playable on specter. And yet, it is not when compared to Daredevil D/D and Deadeye Axe. Please redefine the traitline of Specter and make it so that we are not forced to bring healing traits. Make a power line for those who enjoy playing with shadow magic but just want to do flat dps.

Playability on Daredevil: My only fear is that I am forced to do long chains and animations between dodges. I really hope that the power part of the spear feels fluent in-between dodges and it is just not "staff 2 spam". Holy kitten I want a multi button Thief weapon. The axe release was amazing ❤️ .

AND PLEASE FIX THE VISUAL BUGS ON DEADEYE MALICE BAR 😄 . Bloody hell got visual bugged on your latest boss encounter too.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well it was more then likely already planned beforehand then them listening to the players that wanted ranged warrior spear mate.

Warrior players have said they want a ranged weapons for years.

Thief players have mentioned that they want the weapon skill system of GW1's Assassin multiple times over the years.

So, while there's no proof that they actually listened to feedback, these two spears at least align with those two wishes.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

Ironically enough, I thought the engineer one was the coolest by far

I'm all for it being a melee weapon, considering 3/6 of the weapons (not including shield) available for engineer are all ranged, the most recent addition (shortbow) was also ranged, and 5/6 of the toolkits (not including medkit) are ranged

I can see them trying to alternate between a ranged and a melee each expansion, which makes the most sense imo

It really looks the coolest and gives lot of hope. I am worrying and wondering how will the balancing be done with the ones who has range and melee vs only melee. I mean we engies are getting themed with lighting rod, why not somehow have also range autoattack with lighting theme related+ melee with spear.

Really waiting for the beta to test out

• Thanks 1

One thing that has me scratching my head about Engineer spear is why the spear itself isn't the lightning rod that gets charged. Right now, it sounds like the lightning rod is its own thing and doesn't necessarily have to rely on the spear (like I can see it work as a utility skill that works with any weapon the engineer chooses to use), whereas having the spear itself be the thing that the engineer is charging would make the weapon front-and-center for the mechanic.

(also would really love the lightning rod as its own spear skin!)

Edited by Teletric.3821
clarification & elaboration
  • Like 2

I have just one question: Why another power weapon for warrior when the only native option is one handed sword?

Like, it looks fine from what little info we have so far but it also seems to be the most boring choice considering how many power weapons the warrior already has.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, LouWolfskin.3492 said:

I have just one question: Why another power weapon for warrior when the only native option is one handed sword?

Like, it looks fine from what little info we have so far but it also seems to be the most boring choice considering how many power weapons the warrior already has.

It is a ranged power option right? 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, LouWolfskin.3492 said:

Also: rifle.

Rifle has no hope of ever get properly buffed, so it's unlikely to ever be a decent choice.

Thus, getting a new ranged weapon at least provides some glimmer of hope that it might be decent.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, LouWolfskin.3492 said:

I'd still argue that the warrior has so many power options a condi option would've been better adviced.

Also: rifle.

Also: Longbow. 

Warrior has essentially one ranged power option and one ranged condi option. Whichever way they went with spear would have doubled the number of options for that damage type. The options available for melee have no real impact on one when choosing to play at range other than the fact that more power melee options means more benefit from designing spear as a power weapon so that weapon swap is more effective.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Am I the only one not getting the least bit excited over those Spear preview videos? 😄

Nope. Nothing against land spear but a video preview doesn't get me excited. I am looking forward to trying the weapon out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Engineer Spear looks nice, i hope the kit is not as disappointing and underwhelming as the engi shortbow

Also hoping that its a Condi weapon because Engineers been stucked with only Pistols as condi weapon.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:00 AM, Tempest.8479 said:

An interesting wrinkle to note with Thief spear: even though it's explicitly stated to be a melee weapon in the blog post, the trailer opens with the Thief throwing the spear from range twice before leaping to their target. This leads me to believe that it will also get the bimodal autoattack seen on ranger spear, or at least that some portion of its skill set will also be useable from range.

Could be! I think it is a reversed attack of ''Tow Line'', so instead of pulling enemies to you, you teleports to them, but I would love if the skill attack 1 (autoattack) is ranged like a Paragon/throwing spear!

Throw a spear that pulls enemies to you. Gain stealth and access to Hooked Spear if this skill hits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

Could be! I think it is a reversed attack of ''Tow Line'', so instead of pulling enemies to you, you teleports to them, but I would love if the skill attack 1 (autoattack) is ranged like a Paragon/throwing spear!

Throw a spear that pulls enemies to you. Gain stealth and access to Hooked Spear if this skill hits.

please press the post as plain text instead button when you copy things from the outside into the message box, like it is now darkmode users can hardly read whats under your normal text.

• Confused 2

On 6/14/2024 at 10:54 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

Also: Longbow. 

Warrior has essentially one ranged power option and one ranged condi option. Whichever way they went with spear would have doubled the number of options for that damage type. The options available for melee have no real impact on one when choosing to play at range other than the fact that more power melee options means more benefit from designing spear as a power weapon so that weapon swap is more effective.

Spear could have been a 2H melee condi weapon though. That is still missing, as well as a 900 range MH weapon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/17/2024 at 12:46 AM, Linken.6345 said:

please press the post as plain text instead button when you copy things from the outside into the message box, like it is now darkmode users can hardly read whats under your normal text.

That's not really my problem though, is it? If this bothered you, use the light mode, problem solved. 😊

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

10 hours ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

That's not really my problem though, is it? If this bothered you, use the light mode, problem solved. 😊

Sure will do when you start sending me money for the eye drops I need then.

• Confused 2

On 6/14/2024 at 12:59 AM, Bujakaa.1948 said:

It really looks the coolest and gives lot of hope. I am worrying and wondering how will the balancing be done with the ones who has range and melee vs only melee. I mean we engies are getting themed with lighting rod, why not somehow have also range autoattack with lighting theme related+ melee with spear.

Really waiting for the beta to test out

I loathe shortbow engi.... long ranged weapon thats best use in melee or you don't get ANY of the effects and since all are different cooldowns its hard to wait for 2 skills to be off cooldown so you CAN chain.  It might be more efficient to wait till everything is off cooldown. It's horribly inefficient which is ironic for an engineer.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I loathe shortbow engi.... long ranged weapon thats best use in melee or you don't get ANY of the effects and since all are different cooldowns its hard to wait for 2 skills to be off cooldown so you CAN chain and even though it has to be one you want to chain with and by that time it might be more efficient to wait till everything is off cooldown. It's horribly inefficient which is ironic for an engineer.

Yeah the guardian pistol works the same way with the symbol. I don't know what their obsession is with optimizing range weapons for melee only. 🤷‍♂️ 

And from the description, it seems like the warrior spear is going to fall into the same trap.

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261
  • Confused 2