Legendary starter kit killed the game for me

On 7/4/2024 at 3:14 AM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Imagine people complaining about completing maps in an RPG where exploration is a key part of the game.

But Eloc. 

It's the modern age of gaming. 

Kids farming participation thropies to make numbers go up. Just "press here" to win gameplay. 

No reading or skill required. 

That would be toxic after all. 🙄

Also, these days, everything is an RPG for some reason. Didn't you see all adds for trash mobile 'rpg games'? 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree with you that map completions are obnoxious. That being said, if getting an always BIS, account wide, top stats weapon in an MMO was easy, wouldn't that kill the MMO? 

I do think that sometimes anet draws out legendary acquisition with a tad too much tedium, especially the ones that require collections, BUT at the same time, if it were too easy, there wouldn't be a game. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

i always assumed it was common knowledge that legendaries required map completion.

its the big reason i haven't grinded for one 😄

i've got no problem with map completion, but sticking with one character is a no no for me 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:40 PM, Lyssia.4637 said:

Heck, I remember threads about the required out-of-game Wiki research required for basic play... what, couple of years back?  When certain of us were remembering the old "buy the guide book in the bookstore" days of gaming.

you mean the borrow from the library/friend and abuse the office photo copier days of gaming?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Liewec.2896 said:

i always assumed it was common knowledge that legendaries required map completion.

i've got no problem with map completion, but sticking with one character is a no no for me 😆

For C Tyria I would limit myself to one map a day.
Also might want to save a session just for cursed hearts like

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Join_the_Ash_Legion_of_Tawny_Ridge_in_stealth_operations

and whatever the spread Communist Propaganda in Frostgorge one is.

Also watch out for Lorna's Pass; that zone has an abnormal amount of items; it's like 2 zones in one.

That being said, map completion really makes me hate Dredge.

I've only done 2 Central Tyria map completions and 1 HoT map completion ever, so not exactly the biggest fan.  I did the last completion because of the vault, though otherwise was just buying the ones that were cheaper because of it.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liewec.2896 said:

It's also only the Gen1 weapons that have that big task. Gen2 and 3 weapons just require you to complete 4 (expansion) maps.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2

This topic inspired me to check my kitten pile I call a bank. Turns out it'll cost me 0 gold to make either quip or a second incinerator once I finish another lot of map completion only around 30% to go before I have to decide

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:22 AM, Runa.2163 said:

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now. I probably wasn't the first nor will I be the last person to run into this through the starter kit. Your perspective as a player since launch or whatever is wholly irrelevant to the experience of a new player running into this and there is no important information whatsoever attached to the starter kits.

By all means choose to kitten on people in your desperation to defend the game, instead of actually trying to make it a better one. I'm sure that'll work out wonders.

Hm. Still ignoring the fact you said you checked the Wiki and that several people have pointed out the wiki specifically states you need world completion. This is a valid point regardless of when people started playing the game. You checked a page for information but you didn't check it thoroughly enough and missed something. Not the game's fault. Not anybody else's fault either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, Runa.2163 said:

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now. I probably wasn't the first nor will I be the last person to run into this through the starter kit. Your perspective as a player since launch or whatever is wholly irrelevant to the experience of a new player running into this and there is no important information whatsoever attached to the starter kits.

By all means choose to kitten on people in your desperation to defend the game, instead of actually trying to make it a better one. I'm sure that'll work out wonders.

You're missing the point. Everyone who made a gen 1 legendary weapon had to do map complete. Everyone. All of us.

The Wizard's Vault gives you a lot of gold off the weapon. It doesn't give you the weapon, hence the name "Starter" kit. It's not a finisher kit.  You're already getting a legendary faster than I did, and I made all 19. Which means you're having probably thousands of gold if you keep buying starter kits. 

You should have done the research but you didn't. You could still do the world completion, even if you work it out slowly. But this is on you. No one else. If people think that legendary weapons should be easy to get, that's their own lookout. It's called legendary for reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

This topic inspired me to check my kitten pile I call a bank. Turns out it'll cost me 0 gold to make either quip or a second incinerator once I finish another lot of map completion only around 30% to go before I have to decide

Same. Just bought SotO recently when it was on discount and got the starter kit. Basicly got a free Frostfang (only had to get some T6 mats, overall worth less than 100g), so I won't complain 😄 

Edited by Nash.2681
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1