Legendary starter kit killed the game for me

5 minutes ago, Sawyer.4127 said:

And my point here was that taking a pass through the hearts and fixing "problematic" ones that progress at a snails pace or doesn't have enough things to do/interact with hurts nobody.

Like which ones exactly? Because for now all you did is announce that the hearts in general are "objectively" one of the worst parts of the game, which very clearly objectively is false.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Sawyer.4127 said:

Is this actually factually true? Genuinely curious, because I have not met a single person in this game who likes them (Especially the newer repeatable ones).

It is true. It was a big deal when Ember Bay brought them back and people were pretty happy about it and that they were repeatable. A lot of threads wanted them back and the core ones made repeatable.

To be clear though, they’re not universally liked. But it’s not an objective fact they are hated by all. I like hearts. Many I know like them too. Many hate them. It’s subjective.

I concede that I suspect they are perhaps a little less popular today given modern, younger gaming audiences have little attention span or patience for things that don’t give instant gratification. Hearts provide tasks, vendors on completion and important dialogue lore though and so are a mechanic that work well when used correctly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It is true. It was a big deal when Ember Bay brought them back and people were pretty happy about it and that they were repeatable. A lot of threads wanted them back and the core ones made repeatable.

To be clear though, they’re not universally liked. But it’s not an objective fact they are hated by all. I like hearts. Many I know like them too. Many hate them. It’s subjective.

I concede that I suspect they are perhaps a little less popular today given modern, younger gaming audiences have little attention span or patience for things that don’t give instant gratification. Hearts provide tasks, vendors on completion and important dialogue lore though and so are a mechanic that work well when used correctly.

I appreciate the subjective enlightenment 🙂

Edited by Sawyer.4127
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Suck it up man and deal with it like me. I love 5v5. One day l realize l got more than enough transcended shard of Glory and league ticket, so l started crafting that trinket.... After l dumped in hundreds of gold, l realized l got to play wvw.... Core support guardian is all l ever play. I copied a dragon hunter Build and went into wvw. It was a very stressful 5 hours experience because even camp npcs can kill me

• Haha 1

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now. I probably wasn't the first nor will I be the last person to run into this through the starter kit. Your perspective as a player since launch or whatever is wholly irrelevant to the experience of a new player running into this and there is no important information whatsoever attached to the starter kits.

By all means choose to kitten on people in your desperation to defend the game, instead of actually trying to make it a better one. I'm sure that'll work out wonders.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 22
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Do map completion with mounts and map packs. The speed record is 6 hours and 48 minutes by Zotmer. Watch it here. Use his thief deadeye build. Combat hearts can be cleared so quickly with deadeye mark and 1-2 unloads from pistol 3.

If map completion isn't your thing you could check the Overflow community whether someone has a spare Gift they are willing to part with. But map completion is the least annoying thing in legendary weapon crafting. Don't even get started on weapons that require time-gated ascended materials or 50+ chain-quests with hour long waits for events to start.

Edited by Pinkeh.4207
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

Do map completion with mounts and map packs. The speed record is 6 hours and 48 minutes by Zotmer. Watch it here. Use his thief deadeye build. Combat hearts can be cleared so quickly with deadeye mark and 1-2 unloads from pistol 3.

If map completion isn't your thing you could check the Overflow community whether someone has a spare Gift they are willing to part with. But map completion is the least annoying thing in legendary weapon crafting. Don't even get started on weapons that require time-gated ascended materials or 50+ chain-quests with hour long waits for events to start.

How can someone part with a gift? They’re account bound 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

How can someone part with a gift? They’re account bound 

people will offer to "sell" you their GoE, essentially completing the Legendary for you for a fee, you would mail them materials/crafting components and gold, and they'll mail you back the finished legendary.

it's not completely risk free, but people do it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Runa.2163 said:

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now. I probably wasn't the first nor will I be the last person to run into this through the starter kit. Your perspective as a player since launch or whatever is wholly irrelevant to the experience of a new player running into this and there is no important information whatsoever attached to the starter kits.

By all means choose to kitten on people in your desperation to defend the game, instead of actually trying to make it a better one. I'm sure that'll work out wonders.

What part of the legendary starter kit specifically would lead a new player to believe that the process is particularly fast, cheap, or easy? How does this differ at all to simply dropping a precursor as loot, or just deciding independently to start the journey.

Either way the player will need to investigate for themselves how to finish the process. Something you claim to have done in your initial post, yet seem to have failed to completely understand. Thus putting yourself in this position where you have invested significant sums of gold and materials without fully realising the requirements. Unfortunately, that is completely on you.

Some constructive feedback, maybe the item description for the starter kit could give some warning that the process is long and not to be undertaken lightly, although given your claims that you "spent most of my gold getting everything I needed as stated in the wiki" I don't see that helping much, as someone rushing in their excitement is likely to forge ahead regardless.

While I empathise with your predicament, I can't offer any sympathy as it is a situation entirely of your own creation. Not only is the information out there, you sought it out and went ahead anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Runa.2163 said:

Just a wild take- I'd assume most new players will go for 100% world completion on their first character anyway and thus sooner or later have 2 GoE at hand. Sure, there will also be some people like OP that pick specific content right away and only rush through open world where it's unavoidable, but I have a hard time imagining the majority of new players is like that.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Runa.2163 said:

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now.

Why would a new player need legendary gear?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

From my perspective 1 reason it exist:

Its a bonus accessible only to those that purchased SotO (most people that bought SotO also got the previous expacs, alot made legendaries and a lot make spares for tp/overflow trading or alts)

They get some starter stuff but not the entire thing to build a legendary; I wouldn't worry about the legendary starter kits too much cause they never contain the items most people want them to contain. (battle/exploration/Fortune/ 77 clovers). Personally don't find them all that useful for 1000 points(cant even resell the precursors on tp). But it could help out a lot of other people i am sure.

I just collect the purple text boxes for fun. Missed the 1st one though so my collection of starter kit boxes is pretty much incomplete now. XD

Edited by Noidea Incognito.9607

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Runa.2163 said:

Many of you seem to be missing the point entirely that the legendary starter kit will be the first indtroduction to legendaries for most new players in this game now.

And what is this supposed to be changing? A new player probably won't have all the gold/materials/account bound currencies to instantly throw at the legendary anyways. Also them being new doesn't change much about map exploration of core game.

I probably wasn't the first nor will I be the last person to run into this through the starter kit.

"this" being what? Playing the 0-80 content? Again, if you wanted to just throw your gold at legendary, you could/can use tp.

Your perspective as a player since launch or whatever is wholly irrelevant to the experience of a new player running into this and there is no important information whatsoever attached to the starter kits.

Didn't you check wiki to craft it anyways? How are new players supposed to craft it without knowing what they need? Well, as far as I'm aware they either:
a) check wiki to see all needed materials and steps needed to craft it -and the gift of exploration is listed there too
b) check the ingame "collection" which in itself isn't needed, but lists all needed materials, including "gift of exploration" with item description of "acquired from fully exploring all Central Tyrian maps".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

There is no real game benefit to legendary gear anyway.  It's simply a QoL.  New players have no need for the extra +5% bump and if they did, they could more easily go with ascended which truly isn't needed for anything other than higher tier fractals (because of the AR).  Heck, I've read on these very forums where people are completing all kinds of other content, including raids, in exotic gear.

To me, this is the same mentality as those who come out of college and expect (nay, demand!) their first job making over six-figures in salary with loads of other benefits.  Sorry, you want the rewards, you need to put in the time/effort/work.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

These kits make it so you aren't required to give any of your gold to another player. They save you from being at the unlubricated end of RNG's ramrod. The hard part of a legendary is not the stuff the kit doesn't give you, it's the precursor and the associated gift, because odds are you will NEVER get the specific precursor you want.

You can also craft the precursors (once per account). But yeah, I agree that the starter kit option is much better than it was having to rely on either RNG or saving up a ton of gold just to start the legendary process.

• Like 1

Just now, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

You can also craft the precursors (once per account). But yeah, I agree that the starter kit option is much better than it was having to rely on either RNG or saving up a ton of gold just to start the legendary process.

Oh right, I completely for got about the one-time crafting of precursors. Thanks for the reminder. I mainly forgot because I had made most of the weapons I wanted by the time that feature came out, so I haven't used it much.

11 hours ago, Runa.2163 said:

OP is getting clowned at for "reading the wiki" on the Legendary weapon of their choice while being upset that map completion is needed as it wasn't said anywhere, except the wiki excplicity states "World Completion" with a link to a breakdown of what is needed under "world completion".

It is a learning opportunity for people to read and to not come to the forums to blame the game for their own mistake.

So, enlighten me, what is the point of this post beyond a pointless complaint and shifting blame?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There is no real game benefit to legendary gear anyway.  It's simply a QoL.  New players have no need for the extra +5% bump and if they did, they could more easily go with ascended which truly isn't needed for anything other than higher tier fractals (because of the AR).  Heck, I've read on these very forums where people are completing all kinds of other content, including raids, in exotic gear.

To me, this is the same mentality as those who come out of college and expect (nay, demand!) their first job making over six-figures in salary with loads of other benefits.  Sorry, you want the rewards, you need to put in the time/effort/work.

Hm , the company could always try to sell the PvE GoB is the Wizzard Vault , like a limited edition gem store item .

Its not P2W and people have done various ingame activities to collect the Astral Points .

Edit: then if we need more "Core Weapons" (or "PvE" armor!!! Everthing is PvE !) , like Catleboarg, we make special events where the whole game works together :

Or we circle each player with 20-30 min  playtime for a Rush event  and  the rest of the server , will unlock for you the rest  (sent an RNG-unlock item) , that cover 75% of the Core map

If you suprass the quota (3x areas-heart-vistas unlocked) or help a new player in  1x event , you have an increased chance for another PvE CoB

The rest of the days people should do the old Core run or buy from the TP , like most Raiders are saying to them

Edit: the 20-30 min playtime could Work for WvW.too , with showering them with WvW - track Potions...

Spoiler

(and we PvPers will leach the WvW resources :P)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 8

Starter kits only give stuff for gen 1 trade-ables which were already going down in value due to supply going up and farming, albeit a lot slower. Nothing stopping you from getting expansion legendary items unless you don't actually own the expansions.

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Hm , the company could always try to sell the PvE GoB is the Wizzard Vault , like a limited edition gem store item .

I'm not sure having players log in for the quick 5-10 minute daily to acquire astral acclaim and then use said currency to pretty much by-pass content is what Anet would want.  /shrug

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1