Too little too late yet again

I watched the recent PvP developer stream.

If they were really trying to save PvP there would have been new PvP content with EoD and SoTo. These were both PAID expansions that added nothing for PvP players. After EoD was released I waited and waited for at least a Cantha map to freshen things up, but it never came. Djinn's Dominion was the last PvP map they added and that was back in PoF. That was 7 years ago and they are only now doing a small tweak to it? Woweee. Meanwhile, how much PvE content have we gotten in the last 7 years compared with PvP? It is massively disproportionate.

PvP should have been treated as one of GW2's end-game pillars. Forget about Raids. Competition is the best motivator to improve and get better at a game, so why don't more people care? If more people were loud about PvP, Anet would have been forced to pay more attention over the years..

Anet cannot do PvP content. Bikzesnake was right when he criticized them because nothing has changed since he quit the game.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

Wait, there are still people who have hopes for pvp? Wake up, GW2-Anet doesn't give a kitten, stop it, save your time, money and nerves.
They couldn't be bothered 8 years ago and they will certainly not start to care with GW3 in the pipeline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

Wait, there are still people who have hopes for pvp? Wake up, GW2-Anet doesn't give a kitten, stop it, save your time, money and nerves.
They couldn't be bothered 8 years ago and they will certainly not start to care with GW3 in the pipeline.

I know, all the smart people already left. I guarantee if more people were loud about the problems Anet would be forced to pay attention. But sadly this game is populated with PvE babies who only want more content for their babysitter mode.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

haha! 

I wanted to write pretty much this exact message... and then thought:    "you know what... i dont even care anymore"

Then i started Diablo 4.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On top of all the cool stuff they're making, there's also new map and gamemode coming aimed at new players. So if it goes well it should funnel more new/casual players into ranked/ats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

haha! 

I wanted to write pretty much this exact message... and then thought:    "you know what... i dont even care anymore"

Then i started Diablo 4.

What is Diablo 4? 😏

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

What is Diablo 4? 😏

Something i can splitscreen with my wife, while drinking cold ones on the couch.   Shes crazy addicted to Diablo Openworld PvP😅

But honestly we are just waiting for PoE2 to release.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Something i can splitscreen with my wife, while drinking cold ones on the couch.   Shes crazy addicted to Diablo Openworld PvP😅

But honestly we are just waiting for PoE2 to release.

poe2?

• Confused 1

Basically nothing. I had hoped for a bit more reveal on the new planned PvP mode (and estimated time for the first beta). Or at least an announcment that with the patch they will make a reveal.

The title stuff (+ focus on 2vs.2 and 3vs3 ... with monthyl tournament being about that + the title there) seems not really interesting for the majority. (Most people won't be able to get it at all.) And the changes to Djinn's dominion seem like "secondary objective even less interesting now; borign map stays boring".

I'd rather have the old capricorn back or Spirit Watch back into ranked so I do not need to miss out on rewards by playing unranked in hopes of getting Spirit Watch. That would be easy fixes until they get the new map/mode ready.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Basically nothing. I had hoped for a bit more reveal on the new planned PvP mode (and estimated time for the first beta). Or at least an announcment that with the patch they will make a reveal.

The title stuff (+ focus on 2vs.2 and 3vs3 ... with monthyl tournament being about that + the title there) seems not really interesting for the majority. (Most people won't be able to get it at all.) And the changes to Djinn's dominion seem like "secondary objective even less interesting now; borign map stays boring".

I'd rather have the old capricorn back or Spirit Watch back into ranked so I do not need to miss out on rewards by playing unranked in hopes of getting Spirit Watch. That would be easy fixes until they get the new map/mode ready.

Don't worry, because we've got about 100 shiny skyscale skins to choose from in the gem store. So all is well. I can't wait until GW3!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

The new rewards and changes basically cater to the same infuriatingly small group of people that have won and will continue to dominate the major tournaments for years - great, so they get more rewards and gold when they've already won countless times. All the while, the core PvP playerbase continues to hemmorage even more because the changes that actually need to be made, never get implemented.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Melumi.6432 said:

The new rewards and changes basically cater to the same infuriatingly small group of people that have won and will continue to dominate the major tournaments for years - great, so they get more rewards and gold when they've already won countless times. All the while, the core PvP playerbase continues to hemmorage even more because the changes that actually need to be made, never get implemented.

I had the same thoughts. The new ATs aren't exactly aiming for average player who are probaply in a gold2 to plat1 range. Just giving more to a player group who already has everything is no incentive for anyone to play more.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Melumi.6432 said:

What do you want? What does "the core PvP playerbase" need then?

The point of these changes is to get people to want to play competitive- because its fun and now theres a bigger carrot and more importantly very obvious stepping stones., more chances for practice and competitive matches. Unfortunately its GW2 so no one wants to ever try regardless of the gamemode- and then blame Anet for a problem they created for themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Grimjack.8130 said:

The point of these changes is to get people to want to play competitive- because its fun and now theres a bigger carrot and more importantly very obvious stepping stones., more chances for practice and competitive matches. Unfortunately its GW2 so no one wants to ever try regardless of the gamemode- and then blame Anet for a problem they created for themselves.

There would probably be a core PvP playerbase to begin with if we had updates to maps more consistently than a 7-year interval, more frequent communication from Anet in general and more occasional event-based rewards like the incoming PvP rush week (which is already good, but still a bit too shy on rewards and also not really adding any shake ups to the gamemode like tweaks to map mechanics or really, anything they'd be able to come up with if they actually developed the game mode). The title is very accurate - Anet's latest announcements are not bad, they're just literally too little and too late, and it's quite odd they would introduce "stepping stones" of any kind towards ranked tournaments if the very first step of getting people to care about PvP is not built and apparently not planned. A carrot too high up is not a problem people created for themselves, it's just a carrot that no one will bother trying to get - Anet is the one interested (or not interested I guess in the case of PvP) in getting players to play their game. If the point of the changes is to get people to want to play competitively - we already failed at the part where they should want to play to begin with even if not in a tournament.

Even ultra competitive games like MOBAs have plenty of "core playerbase" catering outside of ranked, leaderboard-based content. There are few MMOs that care less for their PvP content, I guess Anet really does enjoy copying FFXIV lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Grimjack.8130 said:

As a new player, the likelihood of winning a tournament, regardless of the game, is slim. Although we have an increased gold incentive, being steamrolled by mature premade teams isn't a fun experience, and it's not an effective way to learn. When you're in the PvP lobby, you'll notice PUG teams joining together solely for the gold, knowing they're going to lose. This is a significant problem.

The current reward system doesn't favor a good experience for all players and their needs. While it's not feasible to create a system that caters perfectly to everyone, there are many small adjustments that could be made to improve the overall experience for most. At its core, Guild Wars 2 is a casual game, and everything, regardless of mode, is structured around earning gold and materials. If it's not worth the effort and you won't win, you won't be motivated to continue playing. You're right that people often don't want to put in much effort; they may just want to earn legendary armor or track rewards from guaranteed pips. For those who play ranked PvP expecting others to try hard and win, this can be frustrating.

I feel that several things need to be changed:

• Ranked and unranked need merging together
  • Rank and rewards should be determined by individual performance ONLY - skilled and engaged play.
  • Implement a new mode or specific arena where it favours positive engagement between players and the sharing of knowledge. I am thinking of a way to bring the mentor system to PvP.
  • New players to the mode should have better achievements and tutorials to learn about mechanics and gameplay. These should have really great rewards so they have reason to stay and learn.
  • Duo Q Gold+ needs to be stopped, or just stop Duo Q altogether. It manipulates the algorithm too much.
  • Tournaments should have a random team mode alongside the 5v5 mode.
  • Stop character swapping, and lock the players build when queueing, as this can be used to manipulate the algorithm and overall match.
  • I would like to see new content, events, or themes to keep the experience fresh and exciting like PvE. Hell we need a new map, it has been years...
  • I would like to see the devs engaging with the community and regular updates to gather feedback and incorporate player suggestions into future patches.

PS: To those that are spamming the confused emote on my posts, engage and give your feedback.

Edited by Melumi.6432
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Melumi.6432 said:

As a new player, the likelihood of winning a tournament, regardless of the game, is slim. Although we have an increased gold incentive, being steamrolled by mature premade teams isn't a fun experience, and it's not an effective way to learn. When you're in the PvP lobby, you'll notice PUG teams joining together solely for the gold, knowing they're going to lose. This is a significant problem.

The current reward system doesn't favor a good experience for all players and their needs. While it's not feasible to create a system that caters perfectly to everyone, there are many small adjustments that could be made to improve the overall experience for most. At its core, Guild Wars 2 is a casual game, and everything, regardless of mode, is structured around earning gold and materials. If it's not worth the effort and you won't win, you won't be motivated to continue playing. You're right that people often don't want to put in much effort; they may just want to earn legendary armor or track rewards from guaranteed pips. For those who play ranked PvP expecting others to try hard and win, this can be frustrating.

I feel that several things need to be changed:

• Ranked and unranked need merging together
  • Rank and rewards should be determined by individual performance ONLY - skilled and engaged play.
  • Implement a new mode or specific arena where it favours positive engagement between players and the sharing of knowledge. I am thinking of a way to bring the mentor system to PvP.
  • New players to the mode should have better achievements and tutorials to learn about mechanics and gameplay. These should have really great rewards so they have reason to stay and learn.
  • Duo Q Gold+ needs to be stopped, or just stop Duo Q altogether. It manipulates the algorithm too much.
  • Tournaments should have a random team mode alongside the 5v5 mode.
  • Stop character swapping, and lock the players build when queueing, as this can be used to manipulate the algorithm and overall match.
  • I would like to see new content, events, or themes to keep the experience fresh and exciting like PvE. Hell we need a new map, it has been years...
  • I would like to see the devs engaging with the community and regular updates to gather feedback and incorporate player suggestions into future patches.

PS: To those that are spamming the confused emote on my posts, engage and give your feedback.

Don't worry, it's the same person chain-reacting confusion to most posts, I guess one of the usual suspects 🙂

In the end there is, indeed, including your list and more, a lot Anet could do for PvP before calling in people to tournaments. GW1 alone had team arenas, random arenas, alliance battles, Factions PvP maps and codex arenas (which limited builds to specific skills - a curious concept we could have had here a long time ago for weapons, traits and utilities, just to mention one example) - all of which were not at the "higher play" level of Heroes' Ascent and Guild vs Guild. No one would or will complain about updates to tournaments as long as Anet ever updates the rest of the game mode with anything at all.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Grimjack.8130 said:

It needs not catering to RMT.   Adding new prestige titles to a heavily RMT impacted mode helps no one, it just keeps anet in the good graces of the 3 streamers that are still around.  

I mean look at the NA June maT, two thief comp vs. Naru premade--yeah adding titles, gold, whatever there is really going to help grow the mode.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It needs not catering to RMT.   Adding new prestige titles to a heavily RMT impacted mode helps no one, it just keeps anet in the good graces of the 3 streamers that are still around.  

I mean look at the NA June maT, two thief comp vs. Naru premade--yeah adding titles, gold, whatever there is really going to help grow the mode.

Double Thief has been a very high tier comp for awhile now and has only been getting more popular-on EU mainly mind you because NA is bad I guess. Especially on a map like Coli its almost certainly meta. Ah the classic uncompetitive player talking about competitive games, never gets old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2