Anet, your RNG drop rate is obscene

I have been playing GW2 since the 3-day early headstart before launch (actually, since Beta Weekend 1).  I have a total of 15,476 hours in the game.  During that time, I have completed 8,514 Dungeon runs.  So many, that out of 16 million players, I am ranked 34th in the entire game for # of Completed Dungeon runs.  34TH.  Below are the craftable Dungeon-specific recipes I've received over the course of 12 years of playing.  Why don't I have all of them?  Because your RNG drop rate is beyond ridiculous.

AC p1 Ring x
AC p2 Back  
AC p3 Am x
CM p1 Back  
CM p2 Ring x
CM p3 Ear  
TA up Ear x
TA fwd Ring x
Aether Back  
SE p1 Am  
SE p2 Ear  
SE p3 Ring x
CoF p1 Ear x
Cof p2 Am x
Cof p3 Back  
HotW p1 Ring  
HotW p2 Ear x
HotW p3 Am  
CoE p1 Ring x
CoE p2 Am  
CoE p3 Back  
Arah p1 Am  
Arah p2 Ear  
Arah p3 Back  
Arah p4 Am  

...and yes, I don't have a life. I keep looking for one but they don't carry it in the gem store.

/End rant

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

If I am reading it right it looks like 10 drops over the course of 8500 runs, so a 1/850 drop rate.  Seems kind of low to me too, particularly as each dungeon run represents multiple combats.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

repeatedly doing the same content over and over greatly reduces your chances of getting a good drop.

Funny, if we were to take this as true then shouldn't more people have unlocked all the items by now since this game has a lot of people who only casually visit dungeons ?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

What are the dungeon specific recipes?

I was curious, too, so poked at the wiki a bit. I couldn't find the answer easily, and not sure how I could even search for it.

8 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I was curious, too, so poked at the wiki a bit. I couldn't find the answer easily, and not sure how I could even search for it.

To the Google-cave Batman!!

Seems some are bugged and don’t drop. Not sure if this explains the issue they are having 

Confirmed on wiki. So I guess it’s not bad rng, but discontinued recipe sheets

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vallog's_Demise

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OMG! Thank you for finding that. That explains so much.  Never occurred to me that they might be bugged/discontinued.  

To expand on my previous post, when completing a dungeon, you have a VERY RARE chance (as evidenced) of receiving an account bound recipe sheet that allows you to craft a Dungeon-based trinket.  This requires orichalcum-level jewelry pieces and the dungeon-specific "Offering of" that costs 200 Tales of Dungeon Delving.  You can craft either an amulet, accessory or ring, depending on the recipe.  Backpieces are not craftable, they just drop as a backpiece for the specific path.  

Edited by Scottish.7148
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

If it makes you feel any better you've owned the game years longer than I yet I have almost double your playtime, so even less of a life \o/

My impression of the dungeon recipes was that they were not intended to be expected drops for every player, but rather than some players would get one, or a few, and then market the crafted item on the tp as a way to make profit from crafting. The glut of stat selectable options introduced since launch has long since made them obsolete . . .

In that light 1/850 doesn't seem all that bad to me, esp considering it discounts duplicates, nor does it consider whether the 8.5k runs were evenly distributed across all paths. I have less than five hundred total dungeon runs according to efficiency, and I know I've gotten at least that ac p3 recipe to drop multiple times . . .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

Yes, the drop rates are obscene.  24K hours.  One precursor.  From a Dragonbrand player in wvw six years ago.   I should have used those ten thousand hours since then to track down that player and thank them. 

Precursor drops are intentionally very rare, but also haven't been relevant since 2015, except that they're likely the reason it's often cheaper to buy a precursor from the TP than to craft it. No one needs to rely on a drop (their own or anyone else's) to get a precursor to make a legendary and their position as the 'get rich quick' lucky drop has been taken by infusions and a few other things.

15 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I guess they felt as jewellery they weren’t worth fixing given the other available options and they dropped off the radar between dev changes over the years

It wouldn't surprise me if the majority of players don't know these exist, and even some who do don't care about getting them because very few people use exotic accessories since ascended ones aren't hard to get, unless you're on a free account. So Anet won't have recieved any pressure from players to fix them either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1