Poll: New WvW vs Old WvW system

Evaluation of New WvW  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Which choice best describes your feelings about WR

• I prefer the new WvW system over server.
    • I prefer the servers over the new wvw system.
    • I'm indifferent.

17 minutes ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

Do you guys think the current system will become better if ANet implemented an in-game voice com?

With the amount of players it would require a massive infrastructure to run alongside the regular instances. You need to maintain and admin it on the backend (not to mention moderation if it’s abused).

There is a reason why they leave it up to 3rd party and players to manage. They do not want to be responsible for that.

TBH I think the better option would be to integrate a Discord option with the commander feature. But I don’t even know if Discord has a game API for that, never looked into it. Commander defines the short link and then players join it automatically. If Discord client isn’t running then they cannot join such a “Discord enabled squad” (ie the same block commanders do manually with pass in chat over voice).

But I digress. This is the same type of question as asking whether WvW would play better with good balance or be smoother with no lag or look better on Unreal Engine 5. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:06 AM, Wolfhound.4381 said:

This is the first relink since the start of this. It's bound to be a bit rough. Give it time, it'll get better once they get the bugs squashed.

I want my sever back.
How's that going to be better? It's not coming back.

And all a return to the serversystem would cause now is people losing yet again people that they may have come to like.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

Joshua "Grouch" Davis Colin Johanson 

All the changes since Colin left (2016) have all been bad (for me and the way I liked to play).

P.S.: O'Brian might have been the drop in the bucket that made the game go on a slippering slope since (except for Steam launch for obvious reason :P).

#PutColinBack where HE belongs!

Edited by tkomess.5697
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

23 hours ago, Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

Counting the amount of votes, I am surprised at the turnout on these forums, wow.

Is a good turnout, and that doesn't count the numbers if the OP would have had an option of still trying it, will let you know. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

Do you guys think the current system will become better if ANet implemented an in-game voice com?

That could a poll all on its own. Last time I ran one like it most people were more concerned with Anet being a moderator versus having a unified voice that already handled people being on the appropriate channels.  

• Like 1

New one is clearly being abused and manipulated by stacked guilds.

Instead of fighting Maguuma + 3rd dead server that does nothing, I get blatantly 2vs1d by 2 maguuma servers all match up long.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Tula.6021 said:

I want my sever back.

And all a return to the serversystem would cause now is people losing yet again people that they may have come to like.

Return to server system.

give everyone a free one use server transfer to use if they want to change to the server their current groups choose.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2024 at 5:59 AM, Tula.6021 said:

I want my sever back.

Having been on a number of servers none really matter to me. I still haven't figured out which world title to pick. None of the servers have ever been home. Home is my guild, not where my guild happens to be.

I don't want to go back to the band wagon servers where one link some are stacked and others are not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Wolfhound.4381 said:

Having been on a number of servers none really matter to me. I still haven't figured out which world title to pick. None of the servers have ever been home. Home is my guild, not where my guild happens to be.

I think this poll is kind of representative to players that see guild only versus those that would interact with their guild and others as well. A second question of the poll might have been interesting to see is how many servers each side of the question they had been on before the change to gain a view of how many were already interested in or had done more server hopping.

I don't want to go back to the band wagon servers where one link some are stacked and others are not.

Isn't that what is being done now but without the transfer costs? Right now you just need to wait 4 weeks versus spend any gems? 

Personally, floating around to watch how the sorts look as we go, but band wagons aren't really gone. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I think this poll is kind of representative to players that see guild only versus those that would interact with their guild and others as well. A second question of the poll might have been interesting to see is how many servers each side of the question they had been on before the change to gain a view of how many were already interested in or had done more server hopping.

Isn't that what is being done now but without the transfer costs? Right now you just need to wait 4 weeks versus spend any gems? 

Personally, floating around to watch how the sorts look as we go, but band wagons aren't really gone. 

Right now the issues are all on Anet's side. The buggy relinks and team balance are a work in progress. They already made an adjustment since the first link by dropping tiers from 5 to 4. While things still aren't the best they are making an effort. I play 2 accounts in WvW and the match ups couldn't be more different. One seems pretty well balanced and the other seems outnumbered all the time. But part of that could be the play times on both accounts since I can't play both during the same times.

All I'm saying is give it a little time. It's a little rough right now but should get better as they see the issues and fix them. By the end of the year, if things aren't much better, then maybe we should revisit this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

21 minutes ago, Wolfhound.4381 said:

Right now the issues are all on Anet's side. The buggy relinks and team balance are a work in progress. They already made an adjustment since the first link by dropping tiers from 5 to 4. While things still aren't the best they are making an effort. I play 2 accounts in WvW and the match ups couldn't be more different. One seems pretty well balanced and the other seems outnumbered all the time. But part of that could be the play times on both accounts since I can't play both during the same times.

I wouldn't say it's a stretch that adding a tier after calculating active accounts helped show how many were active alt accounts, which as you stated cannot be played simultaneously, and they had to can the extra tier. Things are better again but still are running into lopsided matchups, and not a lot of actual close back and forth style matches. 

24 minutes ago, Wolfhound.4381 said:

27 minutes ago, Wolfhound.4381 said:

All I'm saying is give it a little time. It's a little rough right now but should get better as they see the issues and fix them. By the end of the year, if things aren't much better, then maybe we should revisit this.

We have waited 8 years for this and the forums here have mostly negative reactions(granted we do for many things here but most of it makes sense). People wait that long for complete games to release, not just a new way to try to restabilize one game mode in a currently live game. They have a terrible track record of how long things in wvw can go without fixes, everyone will talk about the missing wall in earth keep.

Though I would love if the one person they have doing wvw for anet has your quote framed on their wall. " Give it a little time, things look rough right now but should get better" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

From my experience I don't really see much difference. It's a small sample size and I more or less only play in prime times though. I still see pugmanders, I still see EBG clouds doing nothing. I haven't yet been in a really bad matchup that could happen in the past when you met a really stacked server with bandwagoned link. I did hear some alliance guilds are intentionally tanking to get to bottom tiers to meet other fight guilds. If it's true it probably really sucks for randoms on those worlds. But that was also the case in the past and with 4 weeks rotation it will be more futile than with 6 week.

I do see guilds getting bigger. 40+ guild squads on raid nights are common. I don't really know if this is good or bad. In my opinion 25-30 is a more fun number for squad fights but on the other hand more players are actually part of guilds and more active in the community which is probably good for the game mode in the long run. I think this could change over time. Lot's of new active players in guilds that could get less active over time and things could settle down. Although if the largest guilds want to keep up with these numbers in future, they will do it and to match them we will also need to keep such a big active core.

What I do like to see is that guilds are actively recruiting. On our current world 3 alliance guilds are active with recruiting and we are picking up lot's of new players. This is probably good for the game mode because playing with guild mates is just way more fun. When you have nice people around you that can also provide different kind of content it doesn't really matter if you're winning or losing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, tkomess.5697 said:

Joshua "Grouch" DavisColin Johanson 

All the changes since Colin left (2016) have all been bad (for me and the way I liked to play).

P.S.: O'Brian might have been the drop in the bucket that made the game go on a slippering slope since (except for Steam launch for obvious reason :P).

#PutColinBack where HE belongs!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Personally I am, which is also why I am floating around and watching for now.

• Confused 1

The old world linking system wasn't better, due to how transfers worked and also the costs involved with host and links, which saw mass exodus of guilds from servers and bandwagons, causing big population imbalances and communities fragmenting.

Neither is the current Restructuring system in Beta, which is a precursor to Alliances, yet the algorithm is causing some not great Team creations and we still get newly created worlds, starting in the wrong tiers, just like previously after a new world linking.

By the time the algorithm is good enough, that they can focus on making the game mode competitively balanced enough to be more rewarding, just how many guilds and active players will there be left though?

Edited by RisingDawn.5796
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, RisingDawn.5796 said:

Neither is the current Restructuring system in Beta, which is a precursor to Alliances, yet the algorithm is causing some not great Team creations and we still get newly created worlds, starting in the wrong tiers, just like previously after a new world linking.

If Anet could magically determine the “right” tier based on randomly created teams, what’s the point of tiers?

Just let the same 3 teams fight each other for 4 weeks.

You’re already in the right tier from the start after all.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

If Anet could magically determine the “right” tier based on randomly created teams, what’s the point of tiers?

Just let the same 3 teams fight each other for 4 weeks.

You’re already in the right tier from the start after all.

This sounds interesting because while it is what we had during glicko once that settled, reshuffling everything on a monthly basis could make it fresh. If the matches are much closer/competitive, that could actually make this an interesting option. Though this is Dawdler and he is likely being sarcastic, but still!

39 minutes ago, Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

This sounds interesting because while it is what we had during glicko once that settled, reshuffling everything on a monthly basis could make it fresh. If the matches are much closer/competitive, that could actually make this an interesting option. Though this is Dawdler and he is likely being sarcastic, but still!

And everybody was so happy with that and never complained about the glicko matchmaking. 

If this is true, it's not sarcasm. What's your pick?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RisingDawn.5796 said:

By the time the algorithm is good enough, that they can focus on making the game mode competitively balanced enough to be more rewarding, just how many guilds and active players will there be left though?

I mean literally every roamer is a character I can't interact with due to perma stealth/insane mobility/perma evades/infinite sustain.

They should've been focused on this for 10 years.

Instead they have a game mode with the worst PvP humans are capable of making.

Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

And everybody was so happy with that and never complained about the glicko matchmaking. 

If this is true, it's not sarcasm. What's your pick?

Oh sheesh, sarcasm is the answer. Still I would say more people were happy with that back then than total players now, as we had double the tiers and map caps used to be MUCH higher. Still your sarcasm has a bit more truth to it than we might know, but the best jokes are the ones based on truth anyway.