Upcoming Changes to the Warclaw

16 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Sorry to say but this is not a great post. To me it sounds like this is purely about unlocking the mount in WvW but then I'm not a new player.

Look at it from the pov of a new(ish) player, a player who hasn't read the blogs and/or a player who has never been in WvW. I think you might agree that posting this in general forum (without clearly indicating that this is purely for WvW and players will get access to the Warclaw in PvE via JaWi) can leave such players confused/misinformed by this post. I mean you even call it the "Warclaw Mastery ability track", so someone who's never done WvW will likely think you're talking about the new masteries in JaWi.

If, as I surmise, this is purely about WvW, please put this in the WvW forum or make some things clearer. 

Newsflash, this is guild wars 2 discussions, not pve only discussions. WvW is an integral part of the game, so this posting belongs here.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, wanya.1697 said:

a really good change for new wvw players

Is it tho? I only ever got into wvw because I wanted completion of all the mounts and was forced to spend time there for the collection, now it's my favorite. I'm Just a bit worried newbies won't have any reason to stick around

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

10 hours ago, Eshkunishi.6083 said:

Lance with 2 charges is going to feel bad. If you’re in a 2v1, the odds are already stacked against you. Now there’s no chance of escape.

This.

Part of the skill of using the leap is to avoid the lance and put the enemy on cooldown. Currently needs 3v1 to guarantee a takedown (and observant people who understand mechanics). This is now reduced to mostly 1v1 and occasionally a 2v1.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, YTKafka.4681 said:

Ya, honestly I'm not sure about the 2 charge lance. Dodging lances is a skill and you have to watch your opponent for their animation to time your dodge. Giving them a second try doesn't exactly reward players who are good at avoiding lances, but rather helps players who are bad at throwing them... especially when 2v1 you basically have no chance of dodging 3-4 lances.

Kind of annoying IMO. Not really sure who this change is for except the kitten-tastic guilds that like to park their 2-4 people outside your keep and gank you.

It feels like one of those changes that are there for the sake of doing a change. Because we have to touch warclaw skills...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

As mentioned previously, Lance will receive a second charge in the August 20 game update.

Urgh... this is a horrible decision.
It was already a challenge to deal with gankers when you're not on a roaming build and you're heading back to your guild/blob, especially if it's 2v1...

This feels like a "well we're improving warclaw in PvE so we should do something for WvW as well" without actually understanding what the gamemode needs or wants
How about do something about chainpull instead... That skill is completely useless and only used a couple of times to get the achievement or when memeing

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, zippoiii.2701 said:

So you're saying i could've just waited for my warclaw till after the expansion so I didn't have to waste an entire WvW reward track on it? Better compensate me with a Gift of Battle at least

Created an account just to nag about a GoB. 😂

What you are not seeing at the moment is the ability to buy 12 Mystic Clovers at a discount from Dugan NPC over four weeks (as they are from the weekly reward table) with the 250 Skirmish Tickets. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, we have been working on some updates to the warclaw mount, and today I'd like to give you a preview of those updates!

Beginning with the August 20 game update, the warclaw mount will be automatically unlocked for all players who own Guild Wars 2®: Heart of Thorns™ or Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™. To access the mount, simply enter WvW and spend one world ability point in the Warclaw Mastery ability track.

The Warclaw Mastery ability track will be updated as follows:

1. Unlock the Warclaw Companion Achievement. (1 point)
  2. Unlock Sniff, a second skill that allows your warclaw to detect enemies and damaged walls or gates. (4 points)
  3. Unlock Chain Pull, a third skill that allows your warclaw to pull on walls and gates to damage and weaken them. (5 points)
  4. Unlock Lance, a fourth skill that enables you to throw a spear at a mounted player, dismounting you both. (10 points)
  5. Battle Maul deals increased damage to enemies who are in a downed state. (20 points)

Warclaw's Blessing and the extra stamina bar will no longer require world ability points—they will be part of the warclaw's baseline skills.

The Warclaw Companion collection will no longer be required to unlock the warclaw. However, it will still be available, with additional rewards for players who want to complete it: a War Machine Weapon Skin Selection chest and 250 WvW skirmish claim tickets. If you've already completed the collection at any point in the past, you'll automatically receive these additional rewards the first time you log in after the August 20 game update.

As mentioned previously, Lance will receive a second charge in the August 20 game update.

Unlocking the warclaw will allow you to use it in PvE as well.

Again, these updates will be available to all players who own Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns or Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire.

Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds™ is not required to access them, but you do need that expansion to unlock the warclaw Mastery tiers outlined in the "Janthir Wilds Unleashed: The Enhanced Warclaw Mount" news post published on July 17.

So I still have to do WvW to unlock all the masteries for Warclaw?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Smurfiness.3714 said:

So I still have to do WvW to unlock all the masteries for Warclaw?

the Warclaw in WvW doesn't use the same PvE mastery system for it's abilities.
instead it uses the World Experience system, where you assign Rank points into various WXP upgrades (Rank points are earned as you level up your WvW rank)

The new PvE Warclaw abilities set to launch with Janthir Wilds will use the same Mastery system as the other mounts, and wont require WvW rank points.

essentially the Warclaw will be two seperate mounts, unlocked at the same time, but having two different sets of abilities depending on which game mode you're playing

• Like 3

Just now, HearldofTime.8294 said:

Unsurprising. Now all the expenses of the warclaw I spent are nulled and I am getting nothing back.

I am inviting you to read what I have posted on this page. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

I am inviting you to read what I have posted on this page. 😉

That information offers no value to me or my account. Null and Void.

Edit: Spamming me with confused emotes now? Pathetic.

Edited by HearldofTime.8294
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, HearldofTime.8294 said:

Unsurprising. Now all the expenses of the warclaw I spent are nulled and I am getting nothing back.

Arenanet continues to deliver when it comes to screwing old players over.

The Warclaw Companion collection will no longer be required to unlock the warclaw. However, it will still be available, with additional rewards for players who want to complete it: a War Machine Weapon Skin Selection chest and 250 WvW skirmish claim tickets. If you've already completed the collection at any point in the past, you'll automatically receive these additional rewards the first time you log in after the August 20 game update.

stop your whinging

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

QoL Request: 

Clarifying/renaming the current Warclaw Mastery World Ability Track vs. the upcoming Warclaw Mastery Line

It's already confusing enough that the current Warclaw Mastery track is in a WvW-oriented, somewhat-per-character system allegedly called World Ability (i.e. WXP/WvW Rank/Ability Points) and is unrelated to the account-wide Mastery progression system even before we get to the addition of an actual Warclaw Mastery line with the upcoming expansion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

So people who own only SotO, EoD or both of those is out of luck?

Nothing new since previously you were required to own PoF for Warclaw, like any other mount other than turtle and skyscale.

Except now if you own HoT, you get it too, given the or.

I do think Warclaw should be the sole core mount, available to all players at level 80, and replacing the rental raptor at level 10 (pushing that to level 20 or even 30). But this is still a good improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

29 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I do think Warclaw should be the sole core mount, available to all players at level 80, and replacing the rental raptor at level 10 (pushing that to level 20 or even 30). But this is still a good improvement.

I think that's a really great idea. The story doesn't make a lot of sense when the story makes you tame/claim your own Raptor at the start of PoF, but now you've already had the Raptor since level 10. Giving players a Warclaw at level 10 instead makes much more sense. They could even put in a short quest where a level 10 player would be directed an NPC near a capital city, and then a short cutscreen plays that shows a Warclaw leap out of the mists and sit down in front of you.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

He must have had some amazing foresight to create an account back in November, 2020 just to 'nag about a GoB'!  :classic_rolleyes:

OK, re-phrasing / expanding my statement: Making his/her first post to nag about a GoB. 😇

It doesn't change the fact that having done the reward track prior to the release of JAW is not a wasted endeauvor, but you get something nice from the "compensation" by having access to a discount for an item you already need, should you have aimed for a GoB - as both are part of you legendary journey.

• Confused 4

• ArenaNet Staff
22 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Sounds like I get some WvW points back \o/

I've seen people asking this in a few places so I just want to confirm that yes, we will be refunding points with the August 20 game update. We'll have more details closer to Janthir Wilds launch.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

Newsflash, this is guild wars 2 discussions, not pve only discussions. WvW is an integral part of the game, so this posting belongs here.

Then why is there a WvW-specific forum? And posts about skill balances are posted in the Professions forum, for example. I don't see any post here for the festival that just went live, because it's in the Festivals forum. By your logic those should be posted here as well. To me posting this here without saying it's WvW-specific is strange and can lead to confusion about what this is about exactly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Then why is there a WvW-specific forum? And posts about skill balances are posted in the Professions forum, for example. I don't see any post here for the festival that just went live, because it's in the Festivals forum. By your logic those should be posted here as well. To me posting this here without saying it's WvW-specific is strange and can lead to confusion about what this is about exactly.

I think it's here because Rubi posted and pinned it here.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Fizzee.1762 said:

How about do something about chainpull instead... That skill is completely useless and only used a couple of times to get the achievement or when memeing

now that you need to damage a gate/wall to below 98% or fight the lord to contest a structure, one way to just contest it would be with a war claw.
currently you can only chain pull the gate, but there are these pesky guards that you need to take care of first to not get dismounted. however in the post here:

Chain Pull, a third skill that allows your warclaw to pull on walls and gates to damage and weaken them.

that makes it a lot less effort to contest waypoints again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I've seen people asking this in a few places so I just want to confirm that yes, we will be refunding points with the August 20 game update. We'll have more details closer to Janthir Wilds launch.

This is great news for lower ranks.  Now only if I could do something with the overflowing points I can't spend lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1