A Rant About Homesteads (some spoilers)

And here is me making use of you all being angry trying to rush the decorations and im slowly getting rich by selling the flowers. Made lots of gold today. 

Logically the market is unstable now. My guess is once it settles the flowers will become cheaper and cheaper by the day. 

There are almost 20 nodes in the first map. I dont know about the second. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Pretty much the ONLY reason I bought this expansion was for the Homestead. BUT here I am one day after launch and I don't care about Homesteads at all. AT.ALL. I don't think I'll ever waste any more time on it. Why not just give us the ability to decorate the home instances we ALREADY HAVE? Why this new, clunky, redundant, and ultimately pointless garbage? Good luck to anyone who works on this thing, but I'm done with it.
As for the rest of this expansion -- the maps are environmentally nice, but tbh it's a giant pile of steaming meh.

No LW for End of Dragons, SoTO was garbage, and now this. This old original GW1 addict who has been playing 2 since launch day 4,379 days ago has left the building. RIP GW2.

Edited by Aecho.5491
  • Like 6
  • Confused 9

people did not realise it was going to be a massive material sink and grind? lol. Have you missed Anet's design philosophy over the last decade?

It will be a material sink in game and a gem sink on the store. both serving as a gold removal function on the economy.

Personally I never cared for the idea at all, so I'm not bothered, but come on, it was always going to be this.

Edited by Cameirus.8407
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

And here is me making use of you all being angry trying to rush the decorations and im slowly getting rich by selling the flowers. Made lots of gold today. 

Logically the market is unstable now. My guess is once it settles the flowers will become cheaper and cheaper by the day. 

There are almost 20 nodes in the first map. I dont know about the second. 

That's cool grats... you will never be as rich as those buying them tho lol

• Confused 1

We hear about how expensive games are to make, but they took the time to create all new crafting materials.  Then they make them difficult to get.  I agree that the interface for placing furniture is not very good.  I understand what “homesteads” are, but I was disappointed when I got to the homestead and found myself in the middle of farm country.  I don’t like the rustic motif – I could have kept playing Elder Scrolls Online for that.

Edited by Dragenstein.2671
font
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Aecho.5491 said:

Pretty much the ONLY reason I bought this expansion was for the Homestead. BUT here I am one day after launch and I don't care about Homesteads at all. AT.ALL. I don't think I'll ever waste any more time on it. Why not just give us the ability to decorate the home instances we ALREADY HAVE? Why this new, clunky, redundant, and ultimately pointless garbage? Good luck to anyone who works on this thing, but I'm done with it.
As for the rest of this expansion -- the maps are environmentally nice, but tbh it's a giant pile of steaming meh.

No LW for End of Dragons, SoTO was garbage, and now this. This old original GW1 addict who has been playing 2 since launch day 4,379 days ago has left the building. RIP GW2.

Clunky? O found the act of decorating (placing items) to be easy and amazingly super intuitive..m

• Like 4

I actually Don't mind collecting the flowers, But I like gathering, What I don't like is the other items being locked behind a certain amount a week, that's just stupid! I was super excited for player housing, but It seems like it will take a year to get enough materials  to build buildings and off the wall things like was shown in the previews, I wanted to build extra buildings silly things ect, I didn't realize i could only get a limited amount of materials needed per week. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MysticalGoddess.8637 said:

I actually Don't mind collecting the flowers, But I like gathering, What I don't like is the other items being locked behind a certain amount a week, that's just stupid! I was super excited for player housing, but It seems like it will take a year to get enough materials  to build buildings and off the wall things like was shown in the previews, I wanted to build extra buildings silly things ect, I didn't realize i could only get a limited amount of materials needed per week. 

Good luck finding appropriate decorations too. As of yet, I've seen no walls, floors, stairs, or bridges.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I also placed the bed right next to the crafting station because I wanted to go on with the story. It was easy to remove the bed and put it right back into the decoration storage window where it originally came from. Highlighted a few buttons and found the right one in mere seconds.

Not only did I find this to be false after finally logging back in after hours of being disgusted. I found that my bed is not even listed in the placed decorations category and I also magically had 356/1000 decorations placed. When finally stumbling across a "clear all decorations" option not even in the decorations skills, but hidden in the gear icon, it brought me down to 0/1000 decorations and a still empty decorations list.

So it ate my bed.

The decoration skills are Place, Move, Rotate, Scale, Toggle Mainpulator as 1-5. 6-0 are Reset Scale/rotation, Use last Scale/rotation, flying mode, select decor and lastly Stop Decorating. No skill to pick up a decoration. As stated, a hidden pick up all decors is behind a gear. This is a terrible design. A deco should be able to be picked up as easily as dropping. This system should be utilizing the keyboard to be intuitive and not be using the games limited action skill placement. right click place/left click remove or click to select and delete to remove like just about 100% of every other game with similar building systems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

Not only did I find this to be false after finally logging back in after hours of being disgusted. I found that my bed is not even listed in the placed decorations category and I also magically had 356/1000 decorations placed. When finally stumbling across a "clear all decorations" option not even in the decorations skills, but hidden in the gear icon, it brought me down to 0/1000 decorations and a still empty decorations list.

So it ate my bed.

The decoration skills are Place, Move, Rotate, Scale, Toggle Mainpulator as 1-5. 6-0 are Reset Scale/rotation, Use last Scale/rotation, flying mode, select decor and lastly Stop Decorating. No skill to pick up a decoration. As stated, a hidden pick up all decors is behind a gear. This is a terrible design. A deco should be able to be picked up as easily as dropping. This system should be utilizing the keyboard to be intuitive and not be using the games limited action skill placement. right click place/left click remove or click to select and delete to remove like just about 100% of every other game with similar building systems.

Check your filters

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Aecho.5491 said:

I was planning on leveling up the Homestead masteries first but seeing how it goes : alt positions reset, timegate and cost of furnitures, no preview window... kitten heck, it should be the first thing that comes to mind when testing...

... but they tested with infinite resources, that's probably why the problem didn't even come to their minds.

Now I'm just leveling up Warclaw (almost done), then the bear masteries. Like you I bought the expac mainly for the homestead but this whole timegate+cost+no preview... doesn't make me want to use it at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

All the non-bound currencies might drop fast at the trading post. (Similar to guild hall stuff where there are things super cheap now.)  The flowers ... I did see a lot at the southern part of the map. (Maybe you need to know where they are to quickly find some.)

I guess they wanted people to atcually spend time with it and getting a "sense of accomplishment" instead of creating a sandbox mode like minecraft where you can have stuff freely to decorate. Two types of players lol. One prefer the first. Other ones prefer the other system. And I  highly doubt that people would have spend much longer if everything was free.

You basically decorate it once. And then continue to play other content. Except maybe a handful rolepayers that then go there regularly to enjoy it with their friends.

I wonder if ArenaNet will have to add  recipes unlockable by long collections and stuff ... once the mats are at a few copper at the trading post. To not make people be finished with this at day 1 after all (= spend a few gold at the tp. craft stuff. decorate. done. never pay any attention to the Homestead again except getting your daily node resources)

Edited by Luthan.5236

Are you mad you...need mats for crafting? When I got to that step I had already gathered the flowers necessary via normal gameplay. Do you not gather as you play? Also, it's the second day...Not everything has to be done immediately. Get a bit done each day and you'll likely enjoy it more 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

So it ate my bed.

Four clicks or key presses.

1) Start decorating mode. (L)

2) Erase decorations. (F3)

3) Erase single decoration. (Skill 1)

4) Click the decoration.

I honestly find it hard to believe anyone missed this. The mouse-over texts are clearly formulated and leading.

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958
  • Like 2

I am honestly confused with this. GW2 has always been big with crafting and exploration (and by extension, gathering), so I expected that this expansion would follow that line.  

From my time playing a ton of building games, whenever people were able to get everything they wanted without much effort, they end up just quitting the game soon after because they're left with nothing else to do and they get bored. They build their house, decorate, then poof.

I'm not saying the system is perfect though. I have my own complaints that led me to the forums lol - mainly the weekly limit on refined items we can trade for, because it's just another timegate and they should have learned from previous timegated content that people hate that crap. Like the Skyscale. But timegating is different from requiring certain amounts of time and effort, which to me is reasonable at its current stage.

• Like 1

It was pretty big disappointment for me to see how expensive decorations are.  OK, new crafting materials are always expensive at the beginning, they will eventually get cheaper, but I hoped for unlocking decorations rather than always crafting them. It would be much more convenient to pay 10x price for unlocking "unlimited" amount of each decoration.

But the reason I was hyped for Homestead is using my own characters as "decorations" so they could sit whenever I place them. I can't. They always return to their default position after you leave the instance.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

While I get some of the rants.. I don't know why people are being so negative about it all while the timegated materials were discussed in the devs their livestream about the Homesteads.

I personally think it isn't the timegate that is the biggest problem but more so the amount of homestead recourses you need in a single recipe. For most you need 20+ recourses which makes the timegated limit be reached quickly. If the recipes used only 1 to 3 homestead recourses we'd be able to craft a lot more. With the bigger decorations needing more and smaller ones less. 

• Thanks 1

I was hoping to build up my house or just able to modify expand my house at any time. Just open another door to a small room is just crazy. The position system seams difficult and places items on the floor and not inside it. Game like House Flipper 2 have the best and easy move and place system and not kiddy style looking colored arrows.

To resize items seems not possible, as some items like the carpets could not be resized in any direction.

Janthir Wilds got the first sleeping beds after a long waiting for. but my bed I build in my home I was not able to sleep inside. the homesteds?

Yes I wanted to leave my NPCs where I place them and not having other bears sitting on my mouts or inside my home. A-Net could use a pretty nice console behind the main house door, to do all the setup and changes, instead placing an NPCs inside.

Those work benches and stoage boxes appear as collective items on my map and this is pretty confusing as they are not wood, plants, or rocks to gather.

1000 items as limitation is a slam on the face. It my personal instance and if performances breaks down, its my kind of deal, as nobody needs to stay there. So a limit just for performance issuse is no point. Even since a few weeks the complete game has problems with chairs and NPCs appear only after 20 seconds of map loads even in Guild Halls.

A jump on ride button for my mounts on the stable would be a use and so even a friend in my home possible could test out my mounts if he got none of his own.

Yes as mention walls, roofs, stairs, floor as we wanted to build our own bigger homes.

• Confused 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:42 PM, Logos.5603 said:

Yea, stop strawmanning. You literally took the worst conclusion that could follow from what I was saying.

A charitable position would've been to assume that I'm arguing for a better balance of materials to decorations since it isn't really fun having to collect 15 flowers for a bed. Incidentally, this is my position.

Further, from the fact that its always been like that for X, Y, or Z novelty or crafting thingy doesn't follow that that was the best balancing of materials to crafting (or more fun).

I've also played for 11 years. It's always irritating having to go fish for materials in such bulk quantities (I think this is the result of a lack of innovation and creativity from the developers, but whatever).

"I can't see how those things can be issue if u into crafting and actually seeking the honey flowers."

Trans: Can't see how you don't like the unfun aspect of crafting if you like crafting. Well, maybe because we like the crafting part, and not the chore of collecting so many materials. I don't see how liking one means you have to like the other. There is no entailment here. Further, I don't like crafting because it is crafting. I like it because I get to decorate something with the things that I craft. I wish that it wasn't such a chore like most fetch X things in this game. BTW, I also collected thousands of the other materials needed for the decorations (wood, metal, etc.), so I'm not a stranger to collecting materials.

"Decorations can't be insta build in quantities of stacks and I hate that" - the thread 

"Decorations take too much time and effort to build, taking the fun out of the homestead" - the thread

Just went back to the first map to double-check how long it really takes...results: 22 flowers-18ish minutes. This was after scouring most of the map for flowers. That's enough for two maybe three decorations.

Some of these try hard like defending meaningless challenges that are grindy because of their competitive and grindy nature. They forget that there is another side of the spectrum with prayers on the other end of the scope for a very casual the only thing are being ignored by  Arenanet. The game keeps catering to these people that want to do chores in order to have fun. But players like me who are casual and sometimes roleplay don't want to have to have a challenge unless it's doing something like a legendary weapon. So I agree with you I don't want to do all these meaningless hour long material gathering just to have fun at my homestead. And I have no idea what some of these people are talking about farming for some of those flowers took me a little over  an hour it felt longer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4