Homestead Alts

15 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

It has harsher limits, cannot scale size of the item you are placing, precision movement is tied to be aligned just to the item you are placing (without ability to switch it to be alongside global axis), decorations are inventory items that when not placed can and will eat up limited inventory space, how is that "better" again?

Being able to path some stuff (mounts/pets/houseguests) is the first advantage of eso system outside of sheer quantity of different places to buy I can see. On decorating front ESO falls behind of GW2 homesteads (Which I find mildly funny, since just day before Janthir Wilds, ESO released update with "new housing feature" that have turned out to be.... lfg for house tours).

There's a lot GW2 can learn from ESO's housing system. That's not a slight against GW2, it's simply a fact that ESO has been putting time and effort into their system for longer, and has the results to show for it. Meanwhile, GW2 has left there's pretty  neglected since they introduce Guild Halls in HoT.

The only notable advantage GW2 currently has over ESO is the ability to re-size decoration. Which I absolutely adore. But pretty much every other part of ESO's housing system (cash shop gripes aside) is equal to or better than what GW2 has right now.

I don't think the limits are harsher. At the very least I don't have to deal with not being allowed to have more then a few decorations next to each other in ESO. I found ESO's deco placement/alignment easier to work with (and while I don't use them, there are addons that can further improve that for ESO). And the inventory thing is pretty neutral to me. You can just dump decorations into some of the free houses you can unlock (hello Hall of the Lunar Champion, my warehouse). It's actually kind of neat to have a warehouse with all your extra decos on display.

All of this is under the assumption you are subbed to ESO+ of course. After all, I'm comparing the systems themselves, not the cost of the game. Frankly, I find the game is unplayable without the material bag from ESO+, so that's my running assumption for what people have in ESO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arewn.2368 said:

There's a lot GW2 can learn from ESO's housing system. That's not a slight against GW2, it's simply a fact that ESO has been putting time and effort into their system for longer, and has the results to show for it. Meanwhile, GW2 has left there's pretty  neglected since they introduce Guild Halls in HoT.

The only notable advantage GW2 currently has over ESO is the ability to re-size decoration. Which I absolutely adore. But pretty much every other part of ESO's housing system (cash shop gripes aside) is equal to or better than what GW2 has right now.

I don't think the limits are harsher. At the very least I don't have to deal with not being allowed to have more then a few decorations next to each other in ESO. I found ESO's deco placement/alignment easier to work with (and while I don't use them, there are addons that can further improve that for ESO). And the inventory thing is pretty neutral to me. You can just dump decorations into some of the free houses you can unlock (hello Hall of the Lunar Champion, my warehouse). It's actually kind of neat to have a warehouse with all your extra decos on display.

All of this is under the assumption you are subbed to ESO+ of course. After all, I'm comparing the systems themselves, not the cost of the game. Frankly, I find the game is unplayable without the material bag from ESO+, so that's my running assumption for what people have in ESO.

I agree with most everything here.

True without ESO Plus inventory wars becomes a problem , but i assume that's a strategy of their system. (to get you to buy plus if you want to decorate or just have an easier time with everything.) Also there are other bonuses of having Plus for decorating but I don't want to give anet any ideas in that regard if they haven't looked at it yet. 😄 

I myself have many homes, a few for competitions, multiple homes for living in and most of the rest for storage.

I like their idea of crafting decs and selling them or finding rare recipes and selling them. Finding the rare recipes allows players not interesting in decorating to make money from the feature. GW2 went in a different direction. but of course ESO has a completely different Auction house./ trading post system- so there are plus and minuses to that and how decorating like that would fit here in gw2.

I don't have plus and still find ways to decorate. That is another aspect that sucks though with ESO,  that it pushes you towards plus to allow yourself to be really creative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Engineers hanging around the forest makes no sense, too. I dare say my ranger being in the forest makes no sense either since their preferred terrain isn't the woods.

Hmm? I don't follow, especially on the ranger. Rangers live in/traverse naturey areas, which wouldn't normally exclude forests I wouldn't think. 

8 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

I agree with most everything here.

True without ESO Plus inventory wars becomes a problem , but i assume that's a strategy of their system. (to get you to buy plus if you want to decorate or just have an easier time with everything.) Also there are other bonuses of having Plus for decorating but I don't want to give anet any ideas in that regard if they haven't looked at it yet. 😄 

I myself have many homes, a few for competitions, multiple homes for living in and most of the rest for storage.

I like their idea of crafting decs and selling them or finding rare recipes and selling them. Finding the rare recipes allows players not interesting in decorating to make money from the feature. GW2 went in a different direction. but of course ESO has a completely different Auction house./ trading post system- so there are plus and minuses to that and how decorating like that would fit here in gw2.

I don't have plus and still find ways to decorate. That is another aspect that sucks though with ESO,  that it pushes you towards plus to allow yourself to be really creative.

That reminds me of and highlights one of the cool parts of ESO housing. There's a whole player ecosystem surrounding it. But yeah, there's definitely down-sides to that game as well lol

Lets hope GW2 look to it for the good while leaving the bad behind.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2024 at 6:36 AM, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

I would also agree for our alts in the Homestead to act like actual NPCs, like walking around, talking to each other, using emotes such as /stretch, /sleep, /sit or /readbook for a few examples.

They don't even have idle animations, which is uncanny. I hope this is just bare bones before they can really give seeing them a purpose.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

They don't even have idle animations, which is uncanny. I hope this is just bare bones before they can really give seeing them a purpose.

I've seen a few of my alts have idle animations...sometimes. It seems to be totally random which ones do and which ones don't every time I log in. It really is uncanny. 😕 

tldr: i noticed today that my duplicates i placed in my homestead move to different random locations every time i go there. At first i thought they clustered near the entrance but maybe now that i put decs in those areas they shift to random places all over the place. very odd. It's like hide and go seek my duplicate npc everytime i go to my homestead. 😕

Edited by Kelly.7019

Me, logging into my homestead:

All 10 of my Soldier alts: 👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️  👁️👁️ 

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Lupini.6938 said:

Is there a way to get your alt off the raptor?  I'd like a family photo, but I'm always missing one because they won't get off the free raptor ride.

I don't think there is.

It also appears to be random which one is on the raptor - or if they even show up at all. Sometimes it's the freeloading kodan who is about to smush that poor raptor, and other times it's a random medium-armor alt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Lupini.6938 said:

Is there a way to get your alt off the raptor?  I'd like a family photo, but I'm always missing one because they won't get off the free raptor ride.

If you mount the raptor, the npc on it will dismount; at least that's how it works with the default Kodan in there (who in my headcanon goes by the actual Kodan proper name of Stabled Raptor). Maybe try mounting and then interacting with the alt once they're on the ground?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

If you mount the raptor, the npc on it will dismount; at least that's how it works with the default Kodan in there (who in my headcanon goes by the actual Kodan proper name of Stabled Raptor). Maybe try mounting and then interacting with the alt once they're on the ground?

I just tried this, and it doesn't work. There is no prompt to interact with the alt. 😞 

2 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

It also appears to be random which one is on the raptor - or if they even show up at all. Sometimes it's the freeloading kodan who is about to smush that poor raptor, and other times it's a random medium-armor alt.

I've noticed that the alt that shows up on the raptor (since latest patch anyway) is the previous medium armored alt you've logged out of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

I just tried this, and it doesn't work. There is no prompt to interact with the alt. 😞 

just press your own mount skill for what ever mount they are on and it will rob you alt of their mount.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

just press your own mount skill for what ever mount they are on and it will rob you alt of their mount.

Yes, and then you cannot interact with them once they're on the ground. There's no prompt to get them to follow you. They just stand there.

• Like 3