Homestead Alts

On 8/27/2024 at 2:23 PM, Batel.9206 said:

I don't think there is.

It also appears to be random which one is on the raptor - or if they even show up at all. Sometimes it's the freeloading kodan who is about to smush that poor raptor, and other times it's a random medium-armor alt.

I've had light armor characters end up on the mount also.  So far, no heavy armor has been on the mount, but might just be RNG.  Or maybe the mounts won't carry them because of the freeloading Kodan...?  😉

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2024 at 12:12 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:

Did they say you could permanently place them on a new spot in your homestead? Because they teleport back every time. Anyone figured that out? 

As for what I understood is that once you logged out from the homestead, everything will reset, so all your alts will be spawned back to the originally locations for each armor weight, where you first find them basically, sadly.

Edited by TwistedAlga.4235
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 3:12 PM, Cronospere.8143 said:

Did they say you could permanently place them on a new spot in your homestead? Because they teleport back every time. Anyone figured that out? 

They specifically said in the stream that no you can't choose where they stay. The feature is designed to just take what you see on your character select screen and put that in your homestead in designated locations based on their armor class.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/27/2024 at 2:17 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The whole alt parking system is as inconvinient as having to travel to a map where you can summon the door to get to your Homestead.

Who came up with these clunky systems?

Arenanet really didn't think about what the players wanted to do with their alts in their home. It feels very placeholder and lacking, but knowing Arenanet we'll have to wait years for them to actually give players what they want with the feature.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2024 at 11:17 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The whole alt parking system is as inconvinient as having to travel to a map where you can summon the door to get to your Homestead.

Or having to leave the hill you're standing on because the door summon won't work there (but down where the enemies are just waiting with the condition spam). Or I had to leave the squad before summoning the door even if I only wanted to check on a deco recipe and return...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Things my alts could do:

• water the plants
  • dust the house
  • sleep in the bed
  • pet/feed the mounts (and cats if there are any)
  • look in the sky and ponder
  • fish
  • chop wood
  • talk with each other
  • wander around and do random things, such as roar at the quaggan plush toy
  • ride a mount outside of the stables or just take a walk with them, no riding needed, play with them... they have emotions too

For everything that has to do with movement, it would be cool if I could determine its path (so that it doesn't collide with the decoration)

What I don't want them to do:

• stand around like a stone
  • sit on my mounts (nobody is supposed to sit on my mounts in the stables)
Edited by Tula.6021
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Arenanet really didn't think about what the players wanted to do with their alts in their home.

It does indeed feel like a rushed, "Here, have your alts stand around in odd spots like zombies. Happy now?" 😄

1 hour ago, Tula.6021 said:

Or having to leave the hill you're standing on because the door summon won't work there (but down where the enemies are just waiting with the condition spam). Or I had to leave the squad before summoning the door even if I only wanted to check on a deco recipe and return...

Yes, very inconvenient. You have to go through quite some trouble a lot of the time to enter your Homestead. The system could really use some improvements.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the alt parking system is a neat concept, but it needs a bit of work.

1. Get rid of those humanoid large bushes in the entry area of the homestead or at least let us remove them via making them decorations. Alt already seem small but when these bushes cover Charr a poor Azura is invisible.

2. Let us dictate where alts are parked. The current system places some of them far out of regular visible range. It's great that all my scholars are off doing scholar things in some remote area which I never go to, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having them in the instance.

3. Turn the 10-10-10 system from a drawback to a design benefit. Give professions of the same type unique visible actions inside the homestead. If I park 3 necros, make them do necro things together, if it's 3 warriors let them do warrior things while interacting with each other. This would give players choice in which professions to park while also having a direct impact on how they experience the homestead (and it adds exclusivity as to which visuals players get to see making the limit of 10 relevant).

4. Add weapons to alts in the homestead. (and while at it infusions too)

5. consider reworking the "parking" mechanic. It's still a bit wonky and will occasionally kick characters from the homestead. Most notable if you enter WvW and exit WvW. Just give us a drag down system where players can select the characters to display. This could be combined with point 2.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

3. Turn the 10-10-10 system from a drawback to a design benefit. Give professions of the same type unique visible actions inside the homestead. If I park 3 necros, make them do necro things together, if it's 3 warriors let them do warrior things while interacting with each other. This would give players choice in which professions to park while also having a direct impact on how they experience the homestead (and it adds exclusivity as to which visuals players get to see making the limit of 10 relevant).

Or a menu of neat options when you click them, instead of just follow. We know it can be done; the alts were dancing in the preview. We don't just want to survive, Anet. We want to dance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, very inconvenient. You have to go through quite some trouble a lot of the time to enter your Homestead. The system could really use some improvements.

I would have loved it better that if your alts visited the homestead they would show up and that you can dismiss them permanently until the next time they visit over what we got. Or let us have a decoration that picks a character in our roster to copy so we can have them where we want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/22/2024 at 11:20 PM, Shadowfall.7148 said:

Staying put where I leave them would be my preference. I feel like programming them to move about or otherwise interact with the environment would be a bit too complicated, considering everything else that's been put into homesteads. Being able to set them doing an emote would be kinda nice too though.

not really. Even the developers of Fallout 76 managed to get NPC in camps to move around and use stuff in a decent manner(not bug free though)

19 minutes ago, CarolGam.2649 said:

I find them quite creepy actually. They remind me of the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who. They just stand there staring into space, then when you leave your Homestead and return, they've moved, you never see it happen though. 😳

But at least they don't move towards you when you blink. That would be really creepy. 🤓

• Haha 4

On 9/7/2024 at 10:40 PM, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

As for what I understood is that once you logged out from the homestead, everything will reset, so all your alts will be spawned back to the originally locations for each armor weight, where you first find them basically, sadly.

Yep, that's why I do not understand how they did not make copies of your alts instead of using your actual alts, copies that you can permanently activate/deactivate at will, position at will, and even select a posture for each one (like sit, sleep, etc).

The current implementation makes zero sense. It even encourages you to not play your alts anymore, because then it would remove them from your homestead and force you to travel to a map that allows the door to be summoned each time in order to park them in the homestead again after having been with them elsewhere. What a thoughtless system and hassle! 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Confused 1