Flushing Toilet combat mechanic

eyestrain.3056

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the "black hole gun" mechanic that Adrian or whoever in Dragon's Stand stole from Mass Effect 2/Saints Row 4 and I don't like this toilet swirling one either.Messing with my controls or messing with my camera is not called a challenge. It's called a cheap annoyance and I hate it.

The camera one I could at least turn off in the options. This one I can't.And onto the camera for a quick second, who honestly thought that was okay in Arenanet? I can just imagine the fun some people with motion sickness had with that one.

Oh and on the whole swirl on the latest bosses with all the light show flashes and such... the issue also is that they seem to do it way too often also making it even more annoying than it should be.

@Tseison.4659 said:I actually like this mechanic and it adds a good challenge to it. Yeah it might be annoying for some people but you know what, you guys just love things that are easy because you’re so confirmed to it...

As a Mesmer, how I deal with this mechanic is that once it starts, just surrender to its current. What’s the final blast is immenant then immediately use a stun break, stability, invulnerable, blink or evade and you WON’T be damaged.

I’ve done this many times especially dodge rolling against the spin and haven’t received any damage. Now for those who have PC problems for when it occurs, maybe they’ll tweek it a bit so it’s not causing laggy or visual issues.

To me the issue isn't the damage from the attack, but the inability to position your character out of immediate danger. Being dragged directly into a cluster of aoes is no problem when I have one or two dodges handy, but once i'm out of endurance and still at the mercy of the flush, it's up to luck whether i'm able to pray my character several feet from where I am to avoid another big, dangerous aoe. I end up taking tons of damage that I can see coming, but can't really do anything about. This is my biggest problem with the toilet flush.Also- assuming I just want everything to be a loot pinata I can press 1 to win against is pretty patronizing. There's a difference between a good challenge that feels satisfying to overcome, and a frustrating/annoying one that one just gets through and then never wants to experience again. Most of that difference comes with player control.

@eyestrain.3056 said:There's a difference between a good challenge that feels satisfying to overcome, and a frustrating/annoying one that one just gets through and then never wants to experience again. Most of that difference comes with player control.

I mean, it felt satisfying to me. You can dodge, CC (enough to stop the attack), Block, Distort, anything else that provides immunity/invlun or creative use of leaps/dashes/blinks.

Sure its annoying when all of those are on cooldown, but the option to get it to stop is entirely controllable.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@eyestrain.3056 said:There's a difference between a good challenge that feels satisfying to overcome, and a frustrating/annoying one that one just gets through and then never wants to experience again. Most of that difference comes with player control.

I mean, it felt satisfying to me. You can dodge, CC (enough to stop the attack), Block, Distort, anything else that provides immunity/invlun or creative use of leaps/dashes/blinks.

Sure its annoying when all of those are on cooldown, but the option to get it to stop is entirely controllable.

I guess I didn't notice any of those mitigation techniques due to... necromancer. Dodge twice and you're flushed.

True you can break the bar, but group content requires cooperation, and solo content requires me to not be a slowpoke.

(Not really complaining.)

@Dovienya.6597 said:

I guess I didn't notice any of those mitigation techniques due to... necromancer. Dodge twice and you're flushed.

True you can break the bar, but group content requires cooperation, and solo content requires me to not be a slowpoke.

if base necro or reaper you can just absorb it in shroud.

If scourge you can portal out of it with sand swell.

Every class has a way of dealing with this, it's on you to adapt to the content.

I don't mind the mechanic, if it was actually contained within the red circles around them rather than outside of them as well. (if they have any) That stability doesn't work is also weird to me. You can mostly control your movement regardless, though. (just twice as fast in one direction and standstill in the other, but still.

The only thing I dislike about it is really there often no clear indication where it starts and where it stops.

Las> @TexZero.7910 said:

Every class has a way of dealing with this, it's on you to adapt to the content.

I am not bothered by this mechanic. Both replies were sarcastic. I know how to play my class, but thank you for the L2P lesson.

Shroud does not mitigate CC unless you're traited for stability (3 sec) and stability does not work vs. this attack.

Sand swell may work but it has a delayed activation time, and is a huge DPS loss. There would be no point to bringing it for a personal story mission unless you were seriously struggling with this solo, and you absolutely would not bring it to fractals or raids. Thanks again for the instruction on adaptability.

@Dovienya.6597 said:Las> @TexZero.7910 said:

I am not bothered by this mechanic. Both replies were sarcastic. I know how to play my class, but thank you for the L2P lesson.

Shroud does not mitigate CC unless you're traited for stability (3 sec) and stability does not work vs. this attack.

Sand swell may work but it has a delayed activation time, and is a huge DPS loss. There would be no point to bringing it for a personal story mission unless you were seriously struggling with this solo, and you absolutely would not bring it to fractals or raids. Thanks again for the instruction on adaptability.

It wasn't about mitigating the CC via shroud. You can literally just use shroud to eat the entirety of the attack.And you'll have to forgive me for giving advice there's a lot of people honestly just complain for the heck of it without thinking of what they can change to completely trivialize or ignore this mechanic.

I think it's pretty funny, even more so when I walk backwards and it's trying to pull me in and I'm not really going anywhere...but then I'm playing a ranged character so it doesn't affect me as much as melee...however, once the sandstorm is over then I usually switch to melee and jump in and slam the Heirarch(which is the one that uses it the most, if you see a Champion Awakened Hierarch expect the sandstorm, otherwise there aren't that many others that use it).

I hate it most of the time. If an enemy uses it sparingly, it can be OK. But, typically it's spammed at you, and at the same time you are prevented from interrupting them. It's like the only way they can beat you is to take away your ability to interrupt, and at the same time interrupt you repeatedly.

I hate it.

Archived