Homestead QoL improvements [Merged]

I really want to change my alt's pre-defined position. I want them to ALWAYS be whenever I decide to put them, not standing in the cave out of sight (light classes).. I want them to perform emotes or maybe even walk randomly around to make homestead alive.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

I really want to change my alt's pre-defined position. I want them to ALWAYS be whenever I decide to put them, not standing in the cave out of sight (light classes).. I want them to perform emotes or maybe even walk randomly around to make homestead alive.

This would be fantastic.

Or even if we could assign them to certain places with a list of emotes or actions in those places. You, Alt 1, go tinker around in the workshop. (The alt walks around to various tool benches, goes up and down the stairs, kneels at crates to get things out of them, etc.) Alt 2, you go tend to the mounts in the stable. (The alt walks around to the various mounts and pets them, or carries food to a trough, or shovels at the ground.) Alt 3, go fishing. (The alt...goes fishing.) This doesn't actually provide the player with any benefits - alts/NPCs won't make or gather resources - but it would make the place seem so much more lived-in.

On another QoL note-- could we just skip the Magic Doorway altogether and just teleport to our homestead? I don't like the gigantic glowing door appearing out of nowhere when I want to go home. It's pretty, yes, but visually a bit obnoxious, and it's hard to find some out-of-the-way place to conjure it so I don't distract other people around me.

• Like 1

Please consider the following as future QoL updates to Homesteads:

1. A vendor for grey items. Hopefully this functionality can be added to the mount treat vendor?
  2. Full crafting functionality. If I park my alts in my homestead, I do not want to have to enter the open world just to find crafting stations. Maybe this needs to be a decoration, potentially attached to a quest, but I feel the lack of this functionality on launch is a significant oversight.
  3. It is a bit curious that the positions of my alts change within the instance when I swap characters. This does not feel like a problem, but maybe some of my OCD friends, guildies and fellow players might be a troubled.
  4. (Editted after posting): Please consider allowing the Homestead portal to be placed in WvWvW. My suggestion is that the ONLY place it should be allowed is between the map spawn portal and the closest map edges (think about this, it means in the area of the other portals).

Thanks for considering,

Syrlex

Edited by Adzekul.3104
  • Like 5

There also is one lingering issue with the decoration: you cannot preview  the decoration you are about to craft. you have to guess how it looks by just the tiny icon. the window could even be upscaled for better inspection, because the decoration itself can be scaled when being placed

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Adzekul.3104 said:
  • A vendor for grey items. Hopefully this functionality can be added to the mount treat vendor?
  • Full crafting functionality. If I park my alts in my homestead, I do not want to have to enter the open world just to find crafting stations.

I have 500 cooking, so I get a crafting station/bank and a vendor (Seimur). I can confirm it is a very useful facility 🙂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

I have 500 cooking, so I get a crafting station/bank and a vendor (Seimur). I can confirm it is a very useful facility 🙂

Nice, but for all my non-crafting alts, who accumulate soulbound grey/junk items, getting rid of them means leaving the Homestead, only for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adzekul.3104 said:

Nice, but for all my non-crafting alts, who accumulate soulbound grey/junk items, getting rid of them means leaving the Homestead, only for this.

The NPC near the Spawn/Waypoint in the Honestead is what you need looking for.

You can buy and sell there.

1. Full crafting functionality. If I park my alts in my homestead, I do not want to have to enter the open world just to find crafting stations. Maybe this needs to be a decoration, potentially attached to a quest, but I feel the lack of this functionality on launch is a significant oversight.

Yeah, would be nice to have an Option for all Crafting Disciplines, not just cooking and handiworker.

It could also be ONE station where you can choose which Discipline you want to use, as like in the Hero Panel.

Edited by Wutwurzel.9325
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

Or even if we could assign them to certain places with a list of emotes or actions in those places. You, Alt 1, go tinker around in the workshop. (The alt walks around to various tool benches, goes up and down the stairs, kneels at crates to get things out of them, etc.) Alt 2, you go tend to the mounts in the stable. (The alt walks around to the various mounts and pets them, or carries food to a trough, or shovels at the ground.) Alt 3, go fishing. (The alt...goes fishing.) This doesn't actually provide the player with any benefits - alts/NPCs won't make or gather resources - but it would make the place seem so much more lived-in.

I wish it to become true. It's a perfect opportunity to make Homestead legit content to spend some time on. Decorating is fine, but it doesn't feel like home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's probably already mentioned but here's my list so far:

- Preview decorations in the crafting panel.

- Locate/recall decoration options (i.e. highlight all placed objects, all objects of a specified type, etc.)

I've already apparently lost track of two of my crafted items.  I don't know if they've simply disappeared due to some bug or if I somehow managed to place them in areas where they are no longer visible.  Or maybe they're just right there in plain sight but I don't recall where!  In any event, the ability to quickly locate these objects and to remove them to storage without having to recall exactly where I placed them would be appreciated.

- Ability to toggle bee form without resetting the object I'm working on.

- Make the object interactable while I'm working on it.  For instance, it might be useful to be able to jump onto the platform I am placing before I actually place it to avoid the extra steps of placing it, then unlocking it and placing it again, and so on.

- Fix the manipulate placed object tools.  They're broken and don't do anything, forcing me to place the object exactly as I want it using the place new object tools or start all over again.

- Reduce the material costs of these objects.  It's excessive for things like this that are just supposed to be a fun diversion.  You're likely to have players considering just not bothering with it at all.

Edit: Okay, I think I'm done with Homesteads until you guys polish this system up.  Between broken tools making it extremely tedious to even use the system and now losing objects possibly to bugs or possibly I somehow placed them in areas where they are no longer visible?  But what can I do about that since the UI doesn't allow me to even know how many of an object I have placed in the homestead let alone locate their position or recall them to storage without manually locating them first?  For a major feature the lack of QC and foresight on basic features is very disappointing.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Why do i have to unequip a glyph, put it into the collection box so i can harvest the nodes, then take it out again and repeat that on the next harvesting box? I hope the idea is not something like: "Dang that sucks, right? Guess you have to spend 2700 Gems on another set of unbreakable harvesting tools, you don't need, just to get another set of gylphs, if you don't want to switch them around all the time"? 

I would really appreaciante, if a glyph can be "Unlocked" on the collection box without "putting them in" all the time

Edited by UnsignedRobin.8762
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Locate/recall decoration options (i.e. highlight all placed objects, all objects of a specified type, etc.)

That's already a thing. Skill 5 in the third/red section. The icon looks like an eye and it makes all placed decorations glow yellow, even though walls and floors.

• Thanks 1

Mostly that the prices and difficulty are way too high and exceed the fun threshold and move into grinding.

I assume eventually enough people will have the same problem and the markets will get flooded with materials making it easier.  But it kind of sucks right now.  Go make glue.... where? Back out, find a character that makes glue, etc.  This isn't particularly smooth or fun.  At least not for me.  And I really enjoyed My Time At Sandrock, which isn't far off in system comparison.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Maienstern.2154 said:

That's already a thing. Skill 5 in the third/red section. The icon looks like an eye and it makes all placed decorations glow yellow, even though walls and floors.

Thanks.  I'll try it out again.  It could be bugged.  The entire second panel of skills to manipulate objects already placed doesn't work at all.  Could be some other things aren't working as intended either.

Someone needs to explain the 6th and 7th skill because they are inconsistent every time I use them. Also when you put down a decoration, if you put down the same kind it starts in the same spot, size, rotation to make for easy wall and object placement.

The Exalted chest and the Chak cache are making loud sounds while open that is very distracting.

MOX is very far away from the waypoint instead of close where we can change the music right away. The music doesn't loop either.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692
  • Like 1

Currently I found 2 pretty big issues with the Homestead:
Entering the homestead and leaving it brings me back exactly where I was, but entering the homestead, logging out, logging in and leaving, does not.
On a few maps (I've tested Lowlands Shore, Janthir Sintri and all HoT maps) entering the Homestead and logging out does not keep the character in the Homestead. The only map I had success with was Lion's Arch.
I'm not even back in the same spot, I get brought back to the entrance portal of the map.

Dry Top and The Silverwastes are off limits to Homestead Portals.

• Like 2

Yes to preview please.

An undo/redo function if possible would be great as well.

Portal from any zone where it would make sense to be able to including vip areas.

Have the instance remember alt locations.

If you have the cooking station unlocked for the home instance/homestead, make it account wide so you can access it on all your characters.

• Like 4

I was thinking about a quantity of items we can place in the homestead. It is 1000. Ok, for now it looks like a lot but the area is quite big and it may soon be not enough. Will there be a possibility to upgrade  from 1000 to lets say 2000?

One thing I would love to see is relating to the day night cycle. Right now you can talk to the NPC to set the cycle to either day or night, but the cycle still continues. What I am asking for is the ability to lock the cycle to what you select. Sometimes when decorating you want it to remain day or night throughout the decorating session. Not something I could see myself using when not decorating, but would still be useful.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2024 at 9:56 AM, Weru.5203 said:

Has anyone figured out the Armor Racks yet?  I thought that we were suppose to be able to display our own armor sets on them, but they appear to only be a statue with no other interaction.

Lot's of stuff are missing from the demo we saw.

• Confused 2

After a bit of decorating, I am back yet again with some suggestions on how to improve Homesteading.

- Like someone already mentioned, UNDO button would be HUGE
- Having the X-Ray vision stay active when swapping from delete-menu to edit-menu would be a life-safer. Some decorations have a really weird "hitbox" as soon as you move them a) into another deco to cluster or b) hide them partially in the walls or floor.
This makes it so you can NOT select them anymore to edit. You have to delete the whole deco and place it again. Having the X-ray vision to select a deco and THEN being able to swap to the orange (edit) menu would drastically improve QoL of building.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, Nemain.5073 said:

After a bit of decorating, I am back yet again with some suggestions on how to improve Homesteading.

- Like someone already mentioned, UNDO button would be HUGE

There's a reason I'm here, right now, posting in this thread. I'm a software dev, so when I accidentally deleted a carefully placed piece I thought to myself  "well at least I didn't commit the delete".

Oh.

So updating I have to click 1 to confirm,  but deleting I can accidentally click somewhere unintended and it's bye-bye lounge?  Please please fix.  One-step undo at a minimum.

• Like 2