Skyscale to warclaw

This is what i dont understand. Warclaw now has really good speed really good jump / almost flying now. 3 dodges .. i mean it feels way overturned than it should be ? Now im goin from using only skyscale to only warclaw ? let me know what u all think .. for me personal i think warclaw does way to much now

Nvm it seems like it was a bug the whole time .. it dident make sense to me that warclaw was faster and better flying mount than skyscale lol

Edited by Nightcore.5621
  • Like 1
  • Confused 15

Warclaw does not compare to skyscale even remotely when it comes to in the air mobility. It won’t replace it in many circumstances.

If I’m going to scale a vertical cliff, the warclaw is not a viable option. It’s also not a bad thing for people to use different mounts. People whined about seeing too many skyscales or only using raptors on the ground. Now they have a third option

Im not against a small speed debuff just to sort its strange running animation out, but otherwise I’m not seeing why people are upset here. The warclaw’s versality is a good thing, not a problem 

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Warclaw does not compare to skyscale even remotely when it comes to in the air mobility. It won’t replace it in many circumstances.

If I’m going to scale a vertical cliff, the warclaw is not a viable option. It’s also not a bad thing for people to use different mounts. People whined about seeing too many skyscales or only using raptors on the ground. Now they have a third option

Im not against a small speed debuff just to sort its strange running animation out, but otherwise I’m not seeing why people are upset here. The warclaw’s versality is a good thing, not a problem 

With jadebot bonus i have 90% uptime in air is like a fly mount now

Edited by Nightcore.5621
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

With jade jadebot bonus i have 90 up time in air ?

Now quickly turn and dive and barrel roll and fly backwards and fireball and updraft and leyline and all the other things skyscale does better. For overall mobility, skyscale is better.  Skyscale can quickly go straight up, warclaw is designed for straight line in the air. It can get up that vertical cliff, but not as easily from a standing start.

And even if it was on par, as I said in the rest of the post, options are good. People wanted less reliance on the skyscale and the raptor. Now they have a third versatile option. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Now quickly turn and dive and barrel roll and fly backwards and fireball and updraft and leyline and all the other things skyscale does better. For overall mobility, skyscale is better.  Skyscale can quickly go straight up, warclaw is designed for straight line in the air. It can get up that vertical cliff, but not as easily from a standing start.

And even if it was on par, as I said in the rest of the post, options are good. People wanted less reliance on the skyscale and the raptor. Now they have a third versatile option. 

Thats not what i said. I said it has almost perma air uptime like skyscale thanks to jadebot bonus and that feels like its way to much air uptime for a none flying mount

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

skyscale is very nice for map completion, if you shoot fireball and dismount the damage is calculated with your characters stats. the skill has insane range, perfect for sniping all npcs you could need for the hearts.
for actual longer travel i would still always prefer griffon and there skyscale gets me faster to required diving heights.

not sure if i will start using warclaw much outside of WvW, or at all if not required.

3 minutes ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

Thats not what i said. I said it has almost perma air uptime like skyscale thanks to jadebot bonus and that feels like its way to much air uptime for a none flying mount

The trade off being it can’t do all the other things I listed or stop in mid air. Now we have a new option/choice for travelling across straight line gaps instead of the same one we’ve had for many years. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Is just that anet said they dont want everyone to only use skyscale on the newer maps .. but if people now only use warclaw and not skyscale on the new maps .. so they just switched from only using this to that

Edited by Nightcore.5621
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

Is just that anet said they dont want everyone to only use skyscale on the newer maps .. but if people now only use warclaw and not skyscale on the new maps .. so they just switched from only using this to that

I don't think you need to worry about it. Just use what you enjoy and let others use what they enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

This is what i dont understand. Warclaw now has really good speed really good jump / almost flying now. 3 dodges .. i mean it feels way overturned than it should be ? Now im goin from using only skyscale to only warclaw ? let me know what u all think .. for me personal i think warclaw does way to much now

Question is little different. Is it fun to use warclaw now? I would say yes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TBH I've seen more mount diversity in the Janthir maps than almost anywhere else. Yes there are a lot of warclaws because of the new features, plus the chain skill is required for some of the events, etc. But I also see lots of skyscales, griffons and the occasional springer. I've even seen a handful of raptors and skimmers, mostly in Syntri.

The only mounts I haven't seen getting much use in Janthir are the beetle, turtle and jackal.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
  • Thanks 3

I love the open world additions to warclaw, it's great fun on the new maps!  I honestly don't find it replacing my other mounts though.  I definitely do not use it in place of skyscale.

I think I've used all the mounts in Janthir (maybe not turtle).  I've used my jackal that I use a LOT perhaps less, but I still prefer it on other maps i.e. PoF with big wide expenses of terrain.  Griffon and beetle I've used to go across the map swiftly to reach an event that's not near a WP.   

Overall I think it's a good balance of mount use.  The warclaw is new to some players who don't venture into WvW, and it's good to see so many of them being used.  I see it no different than featured mounts in much of the previous content (the four from PoF, beetle and griffon from LWS4, skyscale, turtle....) .   It's a matter of preference and they all have their use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do use it in place of skyscale for crossing wide gaps, it's the only ground-based mount that can do that. It's nice not to have to change mounts for that. It's also great for medium height bumps in the terrain.  Skyscale is still my go-to mount for vertical maneuvers. 

3 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

The only mounts I haven't seen getting much use in Janthir are the beetle, turtle and jackal.

3 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I think I've used all the mounts in Janthir (maybe not turtle).

It's a shame, Janthir really benefits turtle between the warclaw mastery giving it more endurance, the beehives refilling said endurance and recharging Bond of Vigor, and terrain being varied enough for it to really shine. It's fun to climb the crags and ride down the waterfalls, and you can fly for minutes at a time without ever touching down.

Janthir Syntri is definitely a good beetle playground, though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

I am regularly swapping between the two depending on what I need more at the time.

Warclaw:
Pros: Fast, can cross most large gaps with ease, safely avert falling damage.
Cons: can’t climb to high elevations easily, gets caught on terrain, poor midair maneuverability.

Skyscale:
Pros: can fly across all gaps, perfect midair maneuverability, can climb to almost any elevated location with ease, safely avert falling damage.
Cons: can’t recouperate stamina very well, occasionally must land to continue climbing, slower than warclaw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Warclaw is overloaded, but it doesn't really work against skyscale, it works against multiple other mounts.

This… 100%
Warclaw is basically an aggregate of Raptor, Jackal, & Roller Beetle…

9 hours ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

This is what i dont understand. Warclaw now has really good speed really good jump / almost flying now. 3 dodges

Those are not dodges, those are attacks whenever you touch an enemy, hence useless to dodge.

Also, the speed is still mediocre, so other mounts are superior in that regard, and the jumps are not upright vertical, so you are better off using the springer or skyscale to reach heights.

Overall, I only use the new warclaw to detect hidden caches. It's not that great a mount, really.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

For me the big difference is the warclaw movement is just a lot more fun. Skyscale kind of flies but not really, sticks to things when you don't want it too, moves fast at first but slower over distances, etc. Warclaw jumps! And the farther it falls, the higher it jumps! And when it's done jumping, it jumps again ! ! !

I'm annoyed by the dash attack that puts you in combat and that it doesn't do straight verticals well, but those are minor compared to skyscale's irritations . . .

As for it replacing other mounts, I don't care in the least. That would be like complaining that every weapon isn't equally viable on every spec. It's just never going to happen . . .

I am slightly annoyed that warclaw has replaced springer for cc, but only bc I just got a springer skin and now I'm never going to see it again ; p

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Those are not dodges, those are attacks whenever you touch an enemy, hence useless to dodge.

Also, the speed is still mediocre, so other mounts are superior in that regard, and the jumps are not upright vertical, so you are better off using the springer or skyscale to reach heights.

Overall, I only use the new warclaw to detect hidden caches. It's not that great a mount, really.

The speed is def not mediocre and can out leap the raptor - it can cross a third of the map just by continuous air leaps and the vigor replenishment mastery alone if you start from a reasonable height. The raptor is still good, but the warclaw easily competes with it and in some areas it surpasses it. The lack of straight upward mobility is its main trade off and drawback.

It doesn’t replace the skyscale for the reasons I stated earlier, but it’s a worthy alternative given its versatility. To say it’s not that great a mount given what it can now do is a strange comment. I suspect it’ll replace the raptor for me long term

4 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Warclaw is basically an aggregate of Raptor, Jackal, & Roller Beetle…

Raptor and jackal I get, but beetle seems an odd comparison. It runs fast, but nowhere near beetle speed, and has a tight turn radius with no drift. Warclaw has more in common with springer (fast vertical jumps with less control over landing) and griffon (normally loses altitude over time, but can keep moving up if endurance replenishes quickly enough). You can even do some of the easier griffon courses on warclaw if you swap before leaving the starting point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The speed is def not mediocre and can out leap the raptor - it can cross a third of the map just by continuous air leaps

But only from heights, no? It uses up all my energy in no time when I airleap from the ground. Or perhaps I just need more practice? 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

But only from heights, no? It uses up all my energy in no time when I airleap from the ground. Or perhaps I just need more practice? 😄

You need more practice, yes. Heights just make it even easier to cross landscapes. Even from the ground you can keep leaping fast, esp with the vigor bond mastery. And with it's other attributes, it's a clear alternative to the raptor so people now have a choice. At no point is it mediocre

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, but not up in the air, correct? 😉 I prefer the rollerbeetle, really. That's fast. 😁

I'd call leaping from the ground up to Moon Camp travelling "up in the air", so yes it can do that

Yes the rollerbeetle is better on flatline ground speed. It's a bit screwed when there's a 1ft wall though 😛