Should the trident become usable on land too?

I don't think so. Staffs are pretty much the same as tridents. What I think we do need, is to have ALL trident skins underground usable in staffs, and all staff skins usable in tridents underwater. Or just get rid of trident and call it "underwater staff" the same way we have "Underwater spear". Also, all harpoon gun skins should be sharable with rifle, and same, maybe get rid of harpoon rifle and change its name to "underwater rifle", then fuse all skins together

Edited by DarkK.7368
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Hope so. How else am I going to wave my pitchfork at people?

Pretty much the only reason for me to say "yay". But then again, seeing everyone and their mum running around with nothing but spears lately, I still go with "no". I dislike this kind of streamlining.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Weapons should have a dedicated purpose or niche to fill. As it stands, spear Does seem to find some interesting uses, but it's a bit of a stretch. I'm liking spears as they are, but find myself wondering how tridents would be different than spears or staff. I'd rather they explore unconventional uses for existing land weapons. Even though I dont use them, I find what they did with revenant scepter relatively interesting for example.

I also seriously question how often we see Focus in use.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Rauderi.8706 said:

Let's reverse it. Underwater Hammers! Underwater Focus (so people have a reason to use them...)!

That's my team. I would love all weapons to be usable everywhere, so I can use my land weapon underwater. I don't like having two weapons.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Naxos.2503 said:

Weapons should have a dedicated purpose or niche to fill. As it stands, spear Does seem to find some interesting uses, but it's a bit of a stretch. I'm liking spears as they are, but find myself wondering how tridents would be different than spears or staff. I'd rather they explore unconventional uses for existing land weapons. Even though I dont use them, I find what they did with revenant scepter relatively interesting for example.

I also seriously question how often we see Focus in use.

Necro and ele could use a melee power weapon, thief and engineer a healing weapon since thief's only gives barrier and I dislike the engi shortbow, mesmer a melee condi weapon without forced movement and revenant a ranged power weapon. Guardian, ranger and warrior are pretty covered though, but I dont play these ones to say for sure what they would need although I know that warrior rifle sucks.

Edited by andreiblue.8231
  • Confused 2

Well ... staff is also a bit similar to a spear (long weapon spear just has a metal head on it) ... so I don't see why they would not add tridents. With the making spears pretty OP it would be nice to get the other two underwater weapons (though speargun seems a bit boring though) available on land as well. With a similar power level. So people could swap between those.

(Older weapons might be used less now I guess.)

The trident would kinda be a magical version of the staff - like a 2h-scepter something. For the non-magical races it would have different types of explanations. Warrior like kind of melee rifle shooting 3 things or something like that. Engineer kind of a control weapon summoning technical AoE. Though they kinda make the engineer speer feel like something that could have been a trident as well.

And next the combined weapons. I would like to see a longbow instead of using arrows ... shooting the spear. Would be fun. (Maybe add a crossbow as completely new weapon type.)

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

The trident would kinda be a magical version of the staff - 

We have a magical version of a staff, it's called, *checks notes* a staff 

A spear is the most common and practical pre fire arm weapon. A trident was only really used as a gladiatorial novelty and a quick grab what ever is at hand weapon.

Please note I'm not a historian, just a nerd who's read too much and visited the royal armouries a number of times

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

We have a magical version of a staff, it's called, *checks notes* a staff 

A spear is the most common and practical pre fire arm weapon. A trident was only really used as a gladiatorial novelty and a quick grab what ever is at hand weapon.

Please note I'm not a historian, just a nerd who's read too much and visited the royal armouries a number of times

There are staff skins that look like spear, daggers long enough to look like swords, scepters which look like maces, etc. It's more about adding new skills and also adding the underwater skins on land for those who are into fashion. Harpoongun is also the most underused weapon. Not only is it underwater only, but it is the least used one too

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Harpoongun is also the most underused weapon. Not only is it underwater only, but it is the least used one too

How do you know this? I always use speargun or trident, the ranged choices for UW combat. Just curious.

Edited by DeanBB.4268
  • Confused 1

Was going to say no, until

On 9/2/2024 at 8:26 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

Hope so. How else am I going to wave my pitchfork at people?

There is actually a dire need for pitchforks to go with our torches.  😈

Long story short, I'm a fabulous, amazing, rock-star of a hunter ranger.  There's this bookish girl who was so totally impressed with me until this charr guy showed up and now she's all like stuck in his castle in some sort of set-up for Stockholm syndrome to take hold.  

Anyways, me and the boys need those pitchforks.  We got the torches, we just need the other.

7 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Necro and ele could use a melee power weapon, thief and engineer a healing weapon since thief's only gives barrier and I dislike the engi shortbow, mesmer a melee condi weapon without forced movement and revenant a ranged power weapon. Guardian, ranger and warrior are pretty covered though, but I dont play these ones to say for sure what they would need although I know that warrior rifle sucks.

Scepter is fine as a healing weapon imo and would benefit more from a support based off-hand. Thief also could really just use more offhand weapons in general because of the whole gimmick that they've refused to do much with. 

13 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

There are staff skins that look like spear, daggers long enough to look like swords, scepters which look like maces, etc. It's more about adding new skills and also adding the underwater skins on land for those who are into fashion. Harpoongun is also the most underused weapon. Not only is it underwater only, but it is the least used one too

Yeah that's because some classes use the staff as a melee weapon but the staff originally was a ranged magic weapon. Just look at ele, mesmer, necro and guardian staff. So clearly there could be trident staff skins as well, but you say you want more skills...

So what would a terrestrial trident bring that the staff, whether ranged or melee, doesn't bring already?

13 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Yessssss pitchforks and torches!  Can't wait 😁 

Then I can yell about people in my cabbages.  

I'm going to grow a lawn at my homestead so I can wave my pitchfork and tell people to get off it!

10 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Was going to say no, until

There is actually a dire need for pitchforks to go with our torches.  😈

Long story short, I'm a fabulous, amazing, rock-star of a hunter ranger.  There's this bookish girl who was so totally impressed with me until this charr guy showed up and now she's all like stuck in his castle in some sort of set-up for Stockholm syndrome to take hold.  

Anyways, me and the boys need those pitchforks.  We got the torches, we just need the other.

Well, that's Charr for you. Nasty, smelly, evil things. I'm all for the anti Charr pitchfork protests!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

How do you know this? I always use speargun or trident, the ranged choices for UW combat. Just curious.

Simple.

Underwater spear: warrior, guardian, revenant, ranger, thief, mesmer, necro. 7 Professions.

Underwater trident: guardian, revenant, mesmer, ele, necro: 5 Professions.

Underwater harpoon gun: warrior, ranger, engi, thief: 4 professions. (with engi's grenade kit doing the same job, but better).

• Confused 1

I was disappointed that they didn't give Trident to the magic user classes instead of Spear (without changing the skills), just for the added aesthetic variety it would bring.  I'd like land Tridents, but as a compromise, maybe just add unlocked Trident skins to the land spear wardrobe (maybe not the Legendaries if that would lead to complaints and require unique effects to be added).

• Confused 1

On 9/4/2024 at 2:09 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah that's because some classes use the staff as a melee weapon but the staff originally was a ranged magic weapon. Just look at ele, mesmer, necro and guardian staff. So clearly there could be trident staff skins as well, but you say you want more skills...

So what would a terrestrial trident bring that the staff, whether ranged or melee, doesn't bring already?

New and different skills

• Confused 2