Would people be open with a "Temporary Guild" concept for WvW?

Jobber.6348

I'm one of many "solo mercs" in WvW where every matchup would throw us in as random fillers for a team. It would usually be fine if this were just a couple handful of people but it seems to me sometimes you can get as many as 15 to 20 of these solos per team. 

I personally would be pretty happy if there is a system to group all of us Solos together into a Temporary Guild, with its interface tab stuck somewhere in the WvW panel. You will be given a randomized Guild Name and Tag, and you and other Solos would be able to communicate in and plan activities. The Temporary Guild would also grant the effects of Claiming for a Maxed out Guild for the match for the purposes of claiming objectives and setting tactics. The only caveat with such free access to features is that this Guild will be dissolved on the next team shuffle, and it's up to the solos to say if they want to start a proper guild for real on their own accord. 

1 hour ago, Jobber.6348 said:

It would usually be fine if this were just a couple handful of people but it seems to me sometimes you can get as many as 15 to 20 of these solos per team.

i am pretty sure its a lot more than that. tho some might have set their personal guild or something as their WvW guild.

1 hour ago, Jobber.6348 said:

I personally would be pretty happy if there is a system to group all of us Solos together into a Temporary Guild, with its interface tab stuck somewhere in the WvW panel. You will be given a randomized Guild Name and Tag, and you and other Solos would be able to communicate in and plan activities. The Temporary Guild would also grant the effects of Claiming for a Maxed out Guild for the match for the purposes of claiming objectives and setting tactics. The only caveat with such free access to features is that this Guild will be dissolved on the next team shuffle, and it's up to the solos to say if they want to start a proper guild for real on their own accord. 

why not just extend this to the entire shard? you dont really need to see who is offline or who is in pve at the moment, but could show all players currently in WvW from your team and extend team chat again to PvE - only people from your shard ofc.
guild chat sadly is terrible to plan activities as it is all just a live chat, that is an advantage discord has. there is technically the NA/EU alliance discords but in the team sections what i have seen so far are as far as organization goes only: "tag now, drop what ever you are doing and get here". maybe it will be used more with next linking, now that the API should work, the bot there just needs to be brought up to speed.

48 minutes ago, bq pd.2148 said:

i am pretty sure its a lot more than that. tho some might have set their personal guild or something as their WvW guild.

why not just extend this to the entire shard? you dont really need to see who is offline or who is in pve at the moment, but could show all players currently in WvW from your team and extend team chat again to PvE - only people from your shard ofc.
guild chat sadly is terrible to plan activities as it is all just a live chat, that is an advantage discord has. there is technically the NA/EU alliance discords but in the team sections what i have seen so far are as far as organization goes only: "tag now, drop what ever you are doing and get here". maybe it will be used more with next linking, now that the API should work, the bot there just needs to be brought up to speed.

This is an excellent point. I was only really thinking of a way for solos to work together but I guess a Team wide communications panel would also be great for keeping track of who's online at the moment aside from yelling randomly into Team chat and praying for an answer. 

2 hours ago, Jobber.6348 said:

I'm one of many "solo mercs" in WvW where every matchup would throw us in as random fillers for a team. It would usually be fine if this were just a couple handful of people but it seems to me sometimes you can get as many as 15 to 20 of these solos per team. 

It’s probably around 2000 players per team (old average was 2500 but that was years ago). Pretty certain many, many more than “15-20” solos exist per team. Probably more like 500+ (especially if you want to count tiny guilds into that are basically mercs as well).

I don’t quite understand the point of this however. You are organized in a temporary group already - the team. That’s kind of the point of WR. It’s not a guild true… But that’s what guilds are for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It’s probably around 2000 players per team (old average was 2500 but that was years ago). Pretty certain many, many more than “15-20” solos exist per team. Probably more like 500+ (especially if you want to count tiny guilds into that are basically mercs as well).

I don’t quite understand the point of this however. You are organized in a temporary group already - the team. That’s kind of the point of WR. It’s not a guild true… But that’s what guilds are for.

I'm talking more for the purposes of communication, planning and more important, claiming and tactics. Other guy above addressed many of these points already though!

7 hours ago, Jobber.6348 said:

Sounds like you're describing a squad with extra steps. Maybe anet should just make commander tags freely available to use in WvW mode so people can have 50-person squads by default?

Matchmaking huh?

It's an alright idea. Personally I think guilds should be more apparent in this game. Like when you open up Gw2, I think joining a guild is not very intuitive. What if you could look at LFG and could browse/join guilds from that?

The systems as is are pretty obscure. Like you have to go through hoops in the UI just to see what world you're on. It takes me a few moments per matchup to be like "Yea,. I'm green, on whatever the heck is server is called", etc.

In the future, alliance UI needs to be more robust. You should just select a main WvW guild, and then get matched with whoever your guild allied with.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Other games have this kind of feature too.  It's a mystery why it isn't in this game...

It's where the game shows its age. I suppose they go by the old school style of "Go out and meet people!" but we're in the age of social media where much socialization is from clicking on friends and stalking connecting with friends of friends.

The game doesn't really tell you why you should join a guild or where you'd find one.  And same goes for LFG. So a lot of people play this game solo, or end up joining some chat spammer guild that just wants bodies and then end up thinking it's a bad experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

It's where the game shows its age. I suppose they go by the old school style of "Go out and meet people!" but we're in the age of social media where much socialization is from clicking on friends and stalking connecting with friends of friends.

The game doesn't really tell you why you should join a guild or where you'd find one.  And same goes for LFG. So a lot of people play this game solo, or end up joining some chat spammer guild that just wants bodies and then end up thinking it's a bad experience.

It does match up well with how their game felt at launch, like how they didn't bother explaining or give tutorials on much, because the expected/hoped that other players would step in and fill that role, as a way to make people interact with each others.

Clearly they overestimated MMO players...

Then counter that with the wacky guild system we had initially where people kicked you for not repping them 99-100% of the time. And then changed into the current one which is more or less a glorified version of the FF14 chat-group system. I'd say they've never had a clear goal of how the social part of the game should work, despite having designed a very well working "low-level-social" open world/game. So I'd say it's as much a mix of them aiming for something, not entirely knowing how to hit both targets, rather than the "old style". Trying to figure out how they got the random assortment of things right or wrong is giving me a headache, I can't find much reason or rhyme to it.

Edit: Just to actually add something on the topic: How does this original suggestion really vary from a Guild? Something like a guild that just "auto-pickups" all the guild-less players? Or all players in a Team? Would that just be /Team chat then ?

Edited by joneirikb.7506
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

How does this original suggestion really vary from a Guild?

It looks like the same as a guild but without all the overhead of managing one or recruiting.  Automated Guilds?

Edited by Chaba.5410

20 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Edit: Just to actually add something on the topic: How does this original suggestion really vary from a Guild? Something like a guild that just "auto-pickups" all the guild-less players? Or all players in a Team? Would that just be /Team chat then ?

It sounds like the OP wants to be able to be with a guild without being in a guild. Which, agree is what some of these community guilds are. I think the tools for this is already in place, it just means that someone needs to do a little admin. Where it is different is if the OP is trying to follow around a full guild or a tag in a closed guild which could lead to bypassing the 500 member limit which could throw off the sorts. I don't think that was their intent but I could see others trying to do so with a similar tool in place. Best bet, create a community guild and gather in the other players looking to do the same. Or continue to float, I am still floating and seeing it as a vacation to see how things look from the outside. Sucks when matched against people I just played with for 4 weeks, but also makes for some funny whispers. 'Did I just drop that mortar shot on you!?' 'Crap, are you on the walls of my keep?' 'OUCH!' lol

21 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

It does match up well with how their game felt at launch, like how they didn't bother explaining or give tutorials on much, because the expected/hoped that other players would step in and fill that role, as a way to make people interact with each others.

Clearly they overestimated MMO players...

More of a trend in gaming in general. And that is to assume that the player is a moron that needs everything on rails. If some companies had their way, you'd just be watching a 10 hour series and calling it a game. But hey, people have supported worse lol.

But you could already tell when they made the open ended progression of core Tyria and people had mentral breakdowns because there was no set order to do things in. People just cannot handle making decisions even if they all lead to the same road. Remember the personality system? Or the story that could brance? But nobody cared about those; you just get OCD people trying to make sure they didn't miss any and all rewards.

Still, it was admirable they had that kind of respect for players, though I suppose it just wasn't that profitable to do that and just lead the game on rails. We're overrun with mobile/gacha crap anyway-- "gamers" don't seem to want to use their brain anymore, and just want to spend money.

So, basically, wanna buy some Black Lion keys?

21 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Basically lass effort; put UIs to shove in the player's face that joining these things would be a good idea, though I'd just prefer to make it easier for people to join guilds.

I mean the whole WR debacle is that people had no idea what was going on, and it's not like the concept of guild is explained either For many, guild is just a place to freeload off the guild hall nodes.

In fact, even someone like me, would be woefully ignorant of most of the game's systems if I didn't hang around these parts so much. Yea, contary to popular belief, I'm not here to cause trouble on the forums. Mostly. And hey, I mean, most of us here don't know or care  about the many changes to pve right?   And sPvP is just that weird minigame where bots try to bunker the circles while players trade wins  rotate right?

So especially to those who aren't WvW mains, it can be frustrating.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

I read the title expecting this to be a dumb idea, they already gave us a sixth guild slot, right . . ?

But after reading through the thread I think there may be a place for something like OP is describing. I'm not sure I'd really call it a guild, and I'm indifferent as to whether it takes up a guild slot, but an npc at spawn that allows you to 'opt-in' to an interface that allows you to see & interact with other players in your shard for that week isn't a terrible idea . . .

It would have to be opt-in, bc if some xenophobic alliance guild doesn't want to associate with the hoi polloi and run all their tags private they should still be allowed to do so . . .

And I would be opposed to letting this group run claims/tactics bc everyone still has their own guilds for that, no reason anet should suddenly start giving that away for free . . .

But just a basic "who's in my shard/who's online rn" listing would be super helpful, esp at the beginning of a reshuffling . . .

One other note is that I would not want to give this 'temporary guild' a chat channel, as it would effectively be the same as using team chat anyway. One of the big upsides of WR to me has been that many ppls have been more willing to use map/team to do calls and org than they did in the insular, private tag latter days of links. It reminds me of old school, pre-link days in that way, and who doesn't love a little nostalgia . . ?

17 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

But just a basic "who's in my shard/who's online rn" listing would be super helpful, esp at the beginning of a reshuffling . . .

Would it be helpful?

I mean come on. You know that even with such a feature the first and only thing 99% of people will say when logging on is "wHerE cOOmManDeR!?" in chat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It would be helpful to me, idc about the rest of you ppls ; p

But realistically it would be more or less helpful depending on how much information it provided. If I could look there to see which guilds make up the bulk of my shard on the first reset night of a resuffling, that would be helpful for me to know. If it told me how many other ppls were operating off tag in a map, that would be helpful for me to know. If it had a place where those ppls could tell me what they were doing and whether they wanted help or to be left alone, that would be helpful for me to know . . .

The more I'm thinking about it it's less like a guild and more like a community bulletin board at spawn . . .

36 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Would it be helpful?

I mean come on. You know that even with such a feature the first and only thing 99% of people will say when logging on is "wHerE cOOmManDeR!?" in chat.

I mean sure, but if we balance around those people, you're not going to have much of a game left.

9 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

If I could look there to see which guilds make up the bulk of my shard on the first reset night of a resuffling, that would be helpful for me to know.

So fun fact...

The API's new endpoints now provide this information prior to reset.  And the Aleeva discord bot developer implemented the new endpoints just last week.  So over on the NA Alliance discord, it was known a full day or two prior to reset (after the team formation deadline) which teams guilds were assigned to.  I think the EU Alliance discord may have done something similar.

3 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

Would be a simple matter to include that information in-game then, right . . ?

Can't say how "simple", honestly.  It means UI modifications, language localization, etc. for a once-a-month event.  We don't even have certain UI features yet for WR like the guild panel showing which members selected it for WvW.

Edited by Chaba.5410