The next map

I hope its not going to be another "hub" (like the Wizards Tower), because that would be very disappointing imo. We have so many of these already (Besides... Divinity's Reach is around the corner.), and I rather have another decent map (like Lowlands) to explore. Dense forest maybe with a new "Treeclimb" mastery for the Warclaw XD.

What do you expect the next map to be?

• Like 2

New hub is the Homesteads (instead of getting an open world hub). So a "real" new map I guess. Hopefully not too many new currencies. Could contineu to use the titan ore nodes (from Syntri) + adding one more new currency (mat-like, not converting to obliges). So we won't end up with too many currencies when the last map also might bring another one.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 10:03 AM, Gop.8713 said:

East half of Janthir Syntri . . .

Janthir syntri will not be expanded. Just fyi. So don't expect that. We are getting 2 more maps. One on the 2nd quarterly update (6 months from launch) and another on the 3rd (9 months from launch).

• Like 1

If we were getting a hub, we would've gotten it in the initial launch--and like you said, the expac is also directly attached to Divinity's Reach, so there's no real need.

Based on how the initial story ends, the next zone is pretty clearly going to be the area directly west of Janthir Syntri, going through that wall of steam in the NW of JS.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:03 PM, Gop.8713 said:

East half of Janthir Syntri . . .

Considering where the story is pointing us to right now, further into the Janthir Isles. Seems likely we'll go there starting east in Janthir Syntri, because of the wind walls there and the text you get when you go too far. But that doesn't mean what's next is just another part of Janthir Syntri.

4 hours ago, wgpa.5047 said:

Janthir syntri will not be expanded. Just fyi. So don't expect that. We are getting 2 more maps. One on the 2nd quarterly update (6 months from launch) and another on the 3rd (9 months from launch).

I'm not so sure we're getting 2 new maps. It seems that way if you look at the roadmap. But if you look at the achievements for exploring all parts of the JW maps, there's only one more step to that achievement, not two. Just like with SotO and Inner Nayos. I'm hoping for 2, though.

Edited by TheNecrosanct.4028

12 minutes ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

But if you look at the achievements for exploring all parts of the JW maps, there's only one more step to that achievement, not two. Just like with SotO and Inner Nayos. I'm hoping for 2, though.

Anet first planned to release one map on update 2 and expand it on update 3.

They later changed that to releasing two separated maps on update 2 and 3.

The achievement seems to be just an oversight. They simply haven't updated the achievement for the 4th map (yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I'm not so sure we're getting 2 new maps. It seems that way if you look at the roadmap. But if you look at the achievements for exploring all parts of the JW maps, there's only one more step to that achievement, not two.

They've confirmed 4 maps, with the 4th supposedly the size of Lake Doric.

The reason why it looks like there was only gonna be 3 is because that was the original plan.

I suspect they just cut a slice of the 3rd and called that the 4th, which long term means unlike Inner Nayos that eventually got fully released and we can just explore it whole today, in Janthir Wilds we'll have the last bit of map an entirely separate instance that you have to travel in between a loading screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I'm not so sure we're getting 2 new maps. It seems that way if you look at the roadmap. But if you look at the achievements for exploring all parts of the JW maps, there's only one more step to that achievement, not two. Just like with SotO and Inner Nayos. I'm hoping for 2, though.

There’s a significant change to our map content plans that we’d like to bring to your attention. We had originally announced that the expansion would feature three open-world maps—two at launch, with a third released in a quarterly update that would then be expanded on in a subsequent quarterly release, like Inner Nayos. Rather than shipping the third map in two parts, we will instead be releasing a standalone map in both the second and third quarterly releases, each similar in size to Lake Doric. This brings the total open-world map count for Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds up from three to four.

Janthir Wilds Release Schedule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2024 at 6:43 PM, wgpa.5047 said:

You are correct, but you can expect the barrier in North-West Syntri to fall and a portal to a new map going west of there to get added. At least as 3rd map.

On 9/4/2024 at 4:51 PM, Hemi.5267 said:

What do you expect the next map to be?

I read that Janthir's landscape design was inspired by the island of Iceland. I've never been to Iceland, only seen it on TV. I associated the look of Janthir more with Scotland and Ireland (both of which I have visited) and would like more of that theme, nothing dense and nothing dark, please.

48 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I'm expecting the old Mursaat city will be a map.

Yeah, the remains of Bava Nisos. But not a map of its own, just part of the third map to explore.
Mursaat ❤️

There is no need for a new hub. I would prefer if the homestead's functionality was expanded to fulfil that role instead. Portals to the other janthir maps are all it really takes. Also here's a speculation: 

So they said that the legendaries will require an item that can be found in the new raid, but also as a reward from the meta in an upcoming map. And that one is a more difficult version of the other. What if Bava Nisos is part of an upcoming map and the meta involves you invading it and fighting something inside it? And the raid is just Bava Nisos but instanced and with actual dps checks and punishing raid mechanics. I can even imagine what it looks like. You have this huge golden gateway into the city that's part of the overworld map and somewhere nearby in an alleyway, you have a group of npcs gathered around one of those raid entrance circles/orbs, except this time it might be blue instead of red. 

Bava Nisos could be the raid though. With the raid wing taking up that portion past the sulfur. Also a portion of it could be reused as the convergence map. I would much more prefer it to be an explorable map and not the raid/convergence, but I'm struggling to see what set piece they can build that content around.

EDIT: Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Foundry. That'd be a nice set piece, but also something more likely to be the climax of the expac and might seem out of place as a side story.

Edited by UncreativeGreen.2019