Distortion share banned = days worth of wasted training and effort?

Zlater.6789

@Genesis.5169 said:Please spare me classes SHOULD BE BROUGHT because of there profession specific mechanic because that's how class identity works. Why on earth is that so hard to understand. I do not want a game where everyone is the same the only that is different are the animations neither should you, you should be advocating for more unique tools for your class instead of taking them away from other classes.

That would be impossible to balance. You can't make 9 different niches without some of them being better than others. It will always come down to, why bring x when you can bring y. I understand you have the desire to be a special snowflake, but when it comes right down to it, balance is easier to achieve when there is more uniformity between classes. And between being a special snowflake and having a balanced game, I'd rather have a balanced game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Eltiana.9420 said:

@Genesis.5169 said:Please spare me classes SHOULD BE BROUGHT because of there profession specific mechanic because that's how class identity works. Why on earth is that so hard to understand. I do not want a game where everyone is the same the only that is different are the animations neither should you, you should be advocating for more unique tools for your class instead of taking them away from other classes.

That would be impossible to balance. You can't make 9 different niches without some of them being better than others. It will always come down to, why bring x when you can bring y. I understand you have the desire to be a special snowflake, but when it comes right down to it, balance is easier to achieve when there is more uniformity between classes. And between being a special snowflake and having a balanced game, I'd rather have a balanced game.

Why bring x when u can bring y is the crux of rpg's. Rpgs have always been about making choices.This is where our ideology differs it maybe i come from a different generation of gaming or you just legitimately have a different view on what rpgs are but from here i can tell were going to have to agree to disagree our views are fundamentally are against each other.

Not wasted at all, you now have what is called "a transferable skill." You will have better timing, understanding of mechanics and reactions due to that training. The change was for balance reasons but you keep everything that makes you a better player now than when you started (except the group invuln.. obviously).

For example I used to raid in WoW years ago, that made me much better at raiding in GW2 even though I had literally zero Disc Priest skills playing here and when I moved to WoW I actually got into my first proper raid guild by talking about my GW1 GvG experience as a Mesmer. The skills you pick up in MMOs all add to your personal tool box, regardless of skill balance.

@Genesis.5169 said:

@Genesis.5169 said:Anet killing class identity since 2017. All this looks like was a nerf to chrono's because they were full filling the tank support role which is the only role chrono can play.

Let that sink in.

Sorry, Guardians are still pissed that Mesmers, Rangers, and Revs all stole their identity when HoT came out.

Yep those gaurdians definitely feeling pain, with 2 specs viable for both condi and power both in top 3 dps.That amazing bunker build thats arguably more OP then Bunker mesmer in HoT because we just don't have that much boons.And all that Condition cleanse they had baked into the class like how you can trait your heal to do smite condition.Those mesmers with one dps spec thats taken seriously because clone mirage got craped on.Or the fact almost all serious fights have phases which sometimes literally kills out phantasms which kills our dps.How about the fact that FB condition does way more damage then Mirage Condition.

But from your perspective and apparently from anet too gaurdians not only need to have competitive dps in both power and condition but also have to have the great healing AND tanking AND supporting.

So you came for mesmers yet again, i'm not surprised it wouldn't be gw2 if anet didn't find a way to make mesmers lives harder.

Man i wish i could find all those mesmers who heal.Or do great dps.So let nerf the one niche that mesmers could fill.

But guardians tho definitely have more issues.Yep...

As a Necro main....really? Cry more. Your class is still at least raid viable. You only like niches, because you were one of the few classes that had one. Needing X of one class and X of another takes up raid spots which severely limits the amount of other classes that can be taken. As one of the classes that has been shut out because of this garbage(besides just being trash, figured I'd beat you to this punchline), you can take your niches and shove it.

And if by some miracle barrier changes make us actual raid viable and let us fill in some niche of our own, I'd still be able to acknowledge that something should be done to rectify that situation. Classes should be options, based on what they bring to the tables vs what the group lacks/needs, not mandatory based on some profession specific mechanic.

Epidemic has always made you guys raid viable.

Yea epidemic comes in such great use on fights that have nothing to use it on.

I'm astonished that you don't consider a class being barely viable due to one skill that benefits one particular build in need of a rework or something. All of the classes you mentioned can bring something other than one skill that may or may not even be useful, in place of it.

Hell boon rip was supposed to be necro's thing but mesmer took that too.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:Chronomancer has been required, in pairs, sense it's inception for the distortion, alacrity, and quickness sharing. Now we have other classes that can do alacrity (renegade, vanilla Rev). We have another class that can do quickness (firebrand)...

So what they did, is kick the mirror comp meta right in twig and berries.

OH... And buffed mirage dps.

So... Now mesmers aren't shoehorned into exactly ONE nearly DAMAGELESS build that's so unfun that just unlocking it is painful.

So... Uhhh.... Dunno if there's anything to complain about in the world of mesmer.

(even in the chronotank build, we only took the ENTIRE trait line to get distortion share. The rest of it was useless... So yay for increased build diversity!)

Except that double chrono will likely remain meta and that nonsense about the Inspiration traitline. Yes Distortion was important, now tale a look at the master talent and tell me you are going to drop Inspiration. Yeah didn't think so.

I do agree that the patch was overall good for mesmers.

I actually dropped Inspiration for Illusion. You dont need the Master trait for perma quickness.

Definitely a good change...doing raids bosses without distortion was an eye opener. Even in static there was a realization of how complacent every non mesmer got with the mechanics. Now you have to actually pay attention. Plus making mesmer a bit more accessible would increase the ppl playing it and might even free some people from the curse of always playing chronos for the rest of their life.

Why do people seem to think the change actually changes something? I see no reason for chronos to stop using that same trait. Giving Aegis is not quite the same, but it works just as well in some cases. I don't think groups will be willing to revert back to NOT skipping mechanics. It's probably the most active gameplay interaction between players we get. And these make or break the meaningful teamplay.

@RaidsAreEasyAF.8652 said:

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:Chronomancer has been required, in pairs, sense it's inception for the distortion, alacrity, and quickness sharing. Now we have other classes that can do alacrity (renegade, vanilla Rev). We have another class that can do quickness (firebrand)...

So... Now mesmers aren't shoehorned into exactly ONE nearly DAMAGELESS build that's so unfun that just unlocking it is painful.

So... Uhhh.... Dunno if there's anything to complain about in the world of mesmer.

(even in the chronotank build, we only took the ENTIRE trait line to get distortion share. The rest of it was useless... So yay for increased build diversity!)

Except that double chrono will likely remain meta and that nonsense about the Inspiration traitline. Yes Distortion was important, now tale a look at the master talent and tell me you are going to drop Inspiration. Yeah didn't think so.

I actually dropped Inspiration for Illusion. You dont need the Master trait for perma quickness.

99% of the chrono players do, at least in PUGs. All those that think they don't are either in static groups or not paying attention to their terrible quickness up time. No 80% is not good.

@Feanor.2358 said:Why do people seem to think the change actually changes something? I see no reason for chronos to stop using that same trait. Giving Aegis is not quite the same, but it works just as well in some cases. I don't think groups will be willing to revert back to NOT skipping mechanics. It's probably the most active gameplay interaction between players we get. And these make or break the meaningful teamplay.

Because now chronos could potentially run a useful trait line instead of Domination. It will all come down to how much more healing will be required during regular fights. Most healers over perform anyway and now there is a reason to have all the healing.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:Why do people seem to think the change actually changes something? I see no reason for chronos to stop using that same trait. Giving Aegis is not
quite
the same, but it works just as well in some cases. I don't think groups will be willing to revert back to NOT skipping mechanics. It's probably the most active gameplay interaction between players we get. And these make or break the meaningful teamplay.

Because now chronos could potentially run a useful trait line instead of Domination. It will all come down to how much more healing will be required during regular fights. Most healers over perform anyway and now there is a reason to have all the healing.

It's not about the healing, it's about not interrupting your dps. Gorse retal is more of an exception, along with the Viirastra aoe spam. It's the hard interrupts which hurt the group dps the most in my experience.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

99% of the chrono players do, at least in PUGs. All those that think they don't are either in static groups or not paying attention to their terrible quickness up time. No 80% is not good.

TBF most Pug Chronos couldn't even give perma quickness with the trait. (Please dont ask me how, stacking quickness is fucking easy)

TBF most Pug Chronos couldn't even give perma quickness with the trait. (Please dont ask me how, stacking quickness is kitten easy)

I've been dropping inspiration too, you really don't strictly need it anymore. There are still some places I use it like in vg for example where it's normal to stack a lot of Dragon hunters, you can pump out a lot of retalliation with insp/ill if you choose to do that. Another place was yesterday in chaos, just for that massive stability uptime with mantra of concentration.

I find though that in many cases you might be better without insp, if you have domination. At least any decent chrono shouldn't be struggling with quickness uptime in a 5 man group. If youre in a 10 man squad or you can bring TW or you're doing something that has a lot of phases and your group has very good dps, you can then even drop domination if you want. Just gotta be smart about it and not forget to allow a tiny bit of room for error.

TBF most Pug Chronos couldn't even give perma quickness with the trait. (Please dont ask me how, stacking quickness is kitten easy)

on other hand , illusion line will help them do better on alacrity which pug chrono barely reach 90% .

@musu.9205 said:

on other hand , illusion line will help them do better on alacrity which pug chrono barely reach 90% .

Provided they actually summon some avengers :/

I certainly do not like that change, maybe if they changed distortion share in a very short timeframe after it was first used in raids, but now, that it has been available like this for over 2 years and a lot of people trained a long time to use it right, it should have stayed like it was.Anet should have just ajusted future raid wings to ignore distortion and leave the already existing ones be as they were for so long.

One thing I've noticed since this change is that I've just become more toxic to players now. Before it was OK if someone messed up because there was a backup plan, but now there really isn't an option. It applies mostly in fractals, VG and gorse.Idk about others but when I've run with pugs I just find myself kicking people from the group by the dozens. I don't tolerate missing greens on VG, mediocre dps on gorse or having to carry trashy dps in fractals.There is less room for error now and people need to shape up or get out.

@Zlater.6789 said:One thing I've noticed since this change is that I've just become more toxic to players now. Before it was OK if someone messed up because there was a backup plan, but now there really isn't an option. It applies mostly in fractals, VG and gorse.Idk about others but when I've run with pugs I just find myself kicking people from the group by the dozens. I don't tolerate missing greens on VG, mediocre dps on gorse or having to carry trashy dps in fractals.There is less room for error now and people need to shape up or get out.

So nerfing id might have made it so ppl need to get gud now. Who would've thought.

Archived