Distortion share banned = days worth of wasted training and effort?

Zlater.6789

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Azoqu.8917 said:

@Genesis.5169 said:Anet killing class identity since 2017. All this looks like was a nerf to chrono's because they were full filling the tank support role which is the only role chrono can play.

Let that sink in.

Sorry, Guardians are still pissed that Mesmers, Rangers, and Revs all stole their identity when HoT came out.

Minstrel Firebrand is the REAL Guardian.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@TheAndroid.1406 said:well since noone will require you to distort certain mechanics anymore, it seems chrono will become a bit more accessible and easier to learn; easier in that it's one less aspect to learn about it

Yes, this is one positive aspect of the change. But at the same time, Anet just removed something that rewarded players massively for practicing their class and knowing encounters well if they used their skills correctly.

2players in a raid playing skillfully vs 10. I like it better now.

Doesn't change the fact that ANet removed a way for skilled players to use their mechanical skill to be more effective. That's almost never good game design.

A way for some skilled players correct. That had a byproduct of ppl just ignoring mechanics.

I'm curious to see how the speed clearing times are going to be modified and whether or not pugs are going to decide on taking 2 healers all the time or something. This is not supposed to be game breaking but surely quite some statics and pugs are used to distortion share by now, even in the more permissive/easier mechanics (e.g Sloth shake and Sabetha's flame wall).

Going to miss proper distorts. There was a need to do something about the trait given the many mechanics it allowed you to avoid. No point in denying it.All though, I do disagree with the removal of everything that makes a class unique. Nor do I like the removal of skillful usage of abilities and traits. The aegis will be quite significantly easier to use given it's much longer during compared to the shared distorts.

Chronomancer has been required, in pairs, sense it's inception for the distortion, alacrity, and quickness sharing. Now we have other classes that can do alacrity (renegade, vanilla Rev). We have another class that can do quickness (firebrand)...

So what they did, is kick the mirror comp meta right in twig and berries.

OH... And buffed mirage dps.

So... Now mesmers aren't shoehorned into exactly ONE nearly DAMAGELESS build that's so unfun that just unlocking it is painful.

So... Uhhh.... Dunno if there's anything to complain about in the world of mesmer.

(even in the chronotank build, we only took the ENTIRE trait line to get distortion share. The rest of it was useless... So yay for increased build diversity!)

@Henrik.7560 said:it's certainly a game breaking change and will disable multiple speed clearing starts; e.g. no green VG. It appears their intent is to force players to do mechanics more, and less skipping. People have to dodge KC jumps, dodge Deimos slams, and counter multiple fractal mechanics. People may even have to go back to updraft gorseval. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, no doubt making raids and challenge mote fractals more challenging.

Lol, because they needed to become more challenging right!? Wow....there were people already struggling with how they were before patch...

@Henrik.7560 said:it's certainly a game breaking change and will disable multiple speed clearing starts; e.g. no green VG. It appears their intent is to force players to do mechanics more, and less skipping. People have to dodge KC jumps, dodge Deimos slams, and counter multiple fractal mechanics. People may even have to go back to updraft gorseval. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, no doubt making raids and challenge mote fractals more challenging.

Nah No-Updraft is still fine. And you can use either slow or fast CC without distort.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:Chronomancer has been required, in pairs, sense it's inception for the distortion, alacrity, and quickness sharing. Now we have other classes that can do alacrity (renegade, vanilla Rev). We have another class that can do quickness (firebrand)...

So... Now mesmers aren't shoehorned into exactly ONE nearly DAMAGELESS build that's so unfun that just unlocking it is painful.

So... Uhhh.... Dunno if there's anything to complain about in the world of mesmer.

(even in the chronotank build, we only took the ENTIRE trait line to get distortion share. The rest of it was useless... So yay for increased build diversity!)

Except that double chrono will likely remain meta and that nonsense about the Inspiration traitline. Yes Distortion was important, now tale a look at the master talent and tell me you are going to drop Inspiration. Yeah didn't think so.

I do agree that the patch was overall good for mesmers.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:Chronomancer has been required, in pairs, sense it's inception for the distortion, alacrity, and quickness sharing. Now we have other classes that can do alacrity (renegade, vanilla Rev). We have another class that can do quickness (firebrand)...

Except that double chrono will likely remain meta and that nonsense about the Inspiration traitline. Yes Distortion was important, now tale a look at the master talent and tell me you are going to drop Inspiration. Yeah didn't think so.

Agreed it was still good for mesmers and will likely still see their spots in most raids if only because few can be bothered with alternatives.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I'm still not sold on the usefulness of illusionary inspiration since in a raid scenario all the boons you should need will already be applied all the time.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@TheAndroid.1406 said:well since noone will require you to distort certain mechanics anymore, it seems chrono will become a bit more accessible and easier to learn; easier in that it's one less aspect to learn about it

Yes, this is one positive aspect of the change. But at the same time, Anet just removed something that rewarded players massively for practicing their class and knowing encounters well if they used their skills correctly.

Doesn't change the fact that ANet removed a way for skilled players to use their mechanical skill to be more effective. That's almost never good game design.

It's also not good game design to put in a class mechanic that allowed you to ignore major parts of a boss encounter. By all rights they shouldn't have put distortion sharing into the game in the first place. I'm honestly amazed they didn't do this sooner.

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:

I'm still not sold on the usefulness of illusionary inspiration since in a raid scenario all the boons you should need will already be applied all the time.

It's hard to pass on a trait which copies ALL your boons every approximately 7-10 seconds and is one of the main reasons mesmer can perma quickness without TW. What makes way more sense is to replace Domination now that distortion is not needed any longer. But what do I know, I just main this class.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

It's hard to pass on a trait which copies ALL your boons every approximately 7-10 seconds and is one of the main reasons mesmer can perma quickness without TW. What makes way more sense is to replace Domination now that distortion is not needed any longer. But what do I know, I just main this class.

Lol someone sounds a little triggered. The wording on the trait was unclear to me. Reading it, I thought it meant it shared 1 instance of a single boon you had on you (i.e a random boon), not a single instance of all the boons you had on you. That changes everything, my bad.

Lol someone sounds a little triggered. The wording on the trait was unclear to me. Reading it, I thought it meant it shared 1 instance of a single boon you had on you (i.e a random boon), not a single instance of all the boons you had on you. That changes everything, my bad.

Me triggered? Let me see, mirage got condi buffs (which will probably lead to the spvp and wvw crowd going up in arms soon), chrono tank has less responsibility while still being quite mandatory and might even do some nice damage when replacing Domination with Illusions (or Dueling) every other change for mesmer was a buff. Yup, I'm very upset.

@Azoqu.8917 said:

@Genesis.5169 said:Anet killing class identity since 2017. All this looks like was a nerf to chrono's because they were full filling the tank support role which is the only role chrono can play.

Let that sink in.

Sorry, Guardians are still pissed that Mesmers, Rangers, and Revs all stole their identity when HoT came out.

Yep those gaurdians definitely feeling pain, with 2 specs viable for both condi and power both in top 3 dps.That amazing bunker build thats arguably more OP then Bunker mesmer in HoT because we just don't have that much boons.And all that Condition cleanse they had baked into the class like how you can trait your heal to do smite condition.Those mesmers with one dps spec thats taken seriously because clone mirage got craped on.Or the fact almost all serious fights have phases which sometimes literally kills out phantasms which kills our dps.How about the fact that FB condition does way more damage then Mirage Condition.

But from your perspective and apparently from anet too gaurdians not only need to have competitive dps in both power and condition but also have to have the great healing AND tanking AND supporting.

So you came for mesmers yet again, i'm not surprised it wouldn't be gw2 if anet didn't find a way to make mesmers lives harder.

Man i wish i could find all those mesmers who heal.Or do great dps.So let nerf the one niche that mesmers could fill.

But guardians tho definitely have more issues.Yep...

It's also not good game design to put in a class mechanic that allowed you to ignore major parts of a boss encounter. By all rights they shouldn't have put distortion sharing into the game in the first place. I'm honestly amazed they didn't do this sooner.

Counter argument though, Inspiring Distortion was in the game for a long time before raids were. Its not like it was introduced after raids. Raids should have always been designed with it in mind, and the later wings were, as were the newer fractals.

@OriOri.8724 said:

Counter argument though, Inspiring Distortion was in the game for a long time before raids were. Its not like it was introduced after raids. Raids should have always been designed with it in mind, and the later wings were, as were the newer fractals.

This change hardly make the trait useless in 5 man content. Esp if you time it correctly.

Also why should the devs make their lives harder balancing every single raid and fractal for 1 mechanic that only 1 class has that is so powerful that they must play around it in the first place.

This is where anet needs to start going back to their gw1 roots and create game mode specific skills. I never really cared when they made Well of Precognition one of mesmers most less used skills because of the distortion share. I knew this would get nerfed eventually though because they are have to nerf Mesmer every patch so they were bound to get to this one eventually.Anyways, I haven't played in gw2 in a week because of a certain reason they just pulled and as of this patch I have officially quit the game due to this nerf + another reason in this update. Been 11 years since I started from gw1 haha. Adios Gw2!! Also be expecting distortion to be completely removed by the third expansion is my prediction. At least mesmers have another option to go with mirage in Raids with dmg, but no support :(.

@Genesis.5169 said:

Let that sink in.

Yep those gaurdians definitely feeling pain, with 2 specs viable for both condi and power both in top 3 dps.That amazing bunker build thats arguably more OP then Bunker mesmer in HoT because we just don't have that much boons.And all that Condition cleanse they had baked into the class like how you can trait your heal to do smite condition.Those mesmers with one dps spec thats taken seriously because clone mirage got craped on.Or the fact almost all serious fights have phases which sometimes literally kills out phantasms which kills our dps.How about the fact that FB condition does way more damage then Mirage Condition.

But from your perspective and apparently from anet too gaurdians not only need to have competitive dps in both power and condition but also have to have the great healing AND tanking AND supporting.

So you came for mesmers yet again, i'm not surprised it wouldn't be gw2 if anet didn't find a way to make mesmers lives harder.

Man i wish i could find all those mesmers who heal.Or do great dps.So let nerf the one niche that mesmers could fill.

As a Necro main....really? Cry more. Your class is still at least raid viable. You only like niches, because you were one of the few classes that had one. Needing X of one class and X of another takes up raid spots which severely limits the amount of other classes that can be taken. As one of the classes that has been shut out because of this garbage(besides just being trash, figured I'd beat you to this punchline), you can take your niches and shove it.

And if by some miracle barrier changes make us actual raid viable and let us fill in some niche of our own, I'd still be able to acknowledge that something should be done to rectify that situation. Classes should be options, based on what they bring to the tables vs what the group lacks/needs, not mandatory based on some profession specific mechanic.

@Eltiana.9420 said:

Let that sink in.

As a Necro main....really? Cry more. Your class is still at least raid viable. You only like niches, because you were one of the few classes that had one. Needing X of one class and X of another takes up raid spots which severely limits the amount of other classes that can be taken. As one of the classes that has been shut out because of this garbage(besides just being trash, figured I'd beat you to this punchline), you can take your niches and shove it.

And if by some miracle barrier changes make us actual raid viable and let us fill in some niche of our own, I'd still be able to acknowledge that something should be done to rectify that situation. Classes should be options, based on what they bring to the tables vs what the group lacks/needs, not mandatory based on some profession specific mechanic.

Epidemic has always made you guys raid viable.Mesmers not mandatory, just highly valuable just like.Banner WarriorsDruid RangersDps ElesHealing ElesDps GaurdiansAnd yes you necro there are raid fights that epidemic allows the entire raid to skip mechanics like the spears from Samarog.

The only classes that are legitimately left out to me are revs and engineers.

And to add mesmers have always been a niche class, and if anet wants to chip away at that fine even though im against it but this trait to me is a class identity trait compared to the rest of the inspiration line this trait is the trait that defines the entire line to remove the distortion entirely for one game mode is absurd.

Please spare me classes SHOULD BE BROUGHT because of there profession specific mechanic because that's how class identity works. Why on earth is that so hard to understand. I do not want a game where everyone is the same the only that is different are the animations neither should you, you should be advocating for more unique tools for your class instead of taking them away from other classes.

Archived