Are content creators healthy for the game?

What am I reading in this thread? Of course Anet should be listening to the more competitive players for balance changes. Most of you guys have no idea the gap between an "average" player and a competitive player. We are talking like a strength difference of at least 10x in many cases. The "average" players mostly stick to open world where builds don't matter since everything is a 100% win rate. I am glad Anet is listening to the more dedicated players. Please Anet, stay in that discord to not lose your sanity here.

I can also tell the OP doesn't know what they are talking about. Before the nerfs, greatsword mirages were everywhere in WvW sniping people from 1200 range while having multiple blinks to disengage and also distortion for invuln. They also have a snowball effect with sigil of stamina that allows for massive dps if enemies start dying.

Also berserker is still very strong in the right hands in WvW zergs. Spellbreakers were dominating PvP before the nerfs. Changes in PvE don't matter since everything is powercrept like crazy. No one is going to kick you from raids/strikes if you are a warrior main and somewhat know your class. If you are stuck at a PvE raid/strike boss, it is not because of DPS but rather mechanics (unless you are doing the absolute hardest content in the game atm, then yeah go with something like condi virt).

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Bach From The Brink.2715 said:

I think Virtuoso is now 6k ahead of warrior. I think that's what they were upset about. 

That's false?

Virt is at 43k (45 for power), warrior is at 43k right now, if I understand well. That's at most a 2k difference, not really significant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

What am I reading in this thread? Of course Anet should be listening to the more competitive players for balance changes. Most of you guys have no idea the gap between an "average" player and a competitive player. We are talking like a strength difference of at least 10x in many cases. The "average" player mostly stick to open world where builds don't matter since everything is a 100% win rate. I am glad Anet is listening to the more dedicated players. Please Anet, stay in that discord to not lose your sanity here.

I can also tell the OP doesn't know what they are talking about. Before the nerfs, greatsword mirages were everywhere in WvW sniping people from 1200 range while having multiple blinks to disengage and also distortion for invuln. They also have a snowball effect with sigil of stamina that allows for massive dps if enemies start dying.

Also berserker is still very strong in the right hands in WvW zergs. Spellbreakers were dominating PvP before the nerfs. Changes in PvE don't matter since everything is powercrept like crazy. No one is going to kick you from raids/strikes if you are a warrior main and somewhat know your class. If you are stuck at a PvE raid/strike boss, it is not because of DPS but rather mechanics.

I'm the only power mirage I've ever seen hit above 6k dps in the past year in a zerg. I don't even play it that often and I barely see anyone else playing it. I'm pretty routinely able to hit higher numbers and generate more downs / bring more utility on any other spec. I can literally hit 11-13k DPS on tempest lmao. You also have some boons you're giving out when you're on it, too. 

Holosmith can hit 30-40k dps w/ concentrated DPS and isn't as situational. Mirage NEEDS to be in open-field or else you can lose a LOT of damage while moving. But hey, mirage has never been able to reach those numbers and most classes can't, either. 

Catalyst can hit similar / higher numbers than Mirage and ITS GOING TO BE A BIGGER SINGLE HIT (12k+) to multiple targets and THEYRE GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT A FEW TIMES WITH FIRE RESET. 

Power tempest is unironically goated if you know where to drop overloads. Fire overload does NOT play. It'll hit harder than mirage ever could, too. 

Reaper can hit similar numbers to Mirage w/ some strips. 

Rev is going to hit similar numbers but also bring utility. 

I was seeing rangers a few months ago hit similar numbers to power mirage.

Good zerks still deal oodles of dmg compared to it, I have other posts mentioning that. 

No idea about willbender / DH anymore since I haven't touched the class in eons. From what I can tell, it's kinda maybe a little less damage than power mirage and other things but it's going to be able to provide boons? No idea. 

And all of the above, again, are benefitted with you being able to stand on your zerg effectively. They don't require you to try and avoid corridors + tight spaces. And again, their damage is just going to be FAR more concentrated. Unironically, reflect brand is capable of hitting higher numbers than power mirage ever could... but is also going to get less downs because ITS EVEN MORE SPREAD OUT THAT POWER MIRAGE WAS. Damage is the only thing power mirage really had going for it, and it didn't even do that better than a ton of other options. 

Power mirage was kinda like a worse staff weaver d/t spread. That's really the best comparison. 

No idea what goes down in PvP these days, although it's kinda funny that warrior was meta in the MAT because solo/duo-wise, they always seem to be the ones griefing. 

I have this theory that the only reason it was nerfed before anything else if they're trying to bring damage down was because there's a massive visual indicator for when split surge is going out. You notice it, but you're probably a LOT less likely to notice some holosmith dropping 30-40k dps on your group. It's just going to look like you evaporated in the melee if the other people in the zerg are going higher numbers, too. 

46 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

That's false?

Virt is at 43k (45 for power), warrior is at 43k right now, if I understand well. That's at most a 2k difference, not really significant.

I don't know, I read something a lot different than that. If what you're saying really is the truth here, that's great. PvE is not my main game mode by any stretch of the word, I'm just regurgitating what I've read about it elsewhere / what was getting positive feedback. It was from some post that a lot of people were upvoting on a reddit thread over on the gw2 subreddit. 

Still, kinda weird they're nerfing warrior and ignoring virtuoso then, no?

=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You can probably look up half the classes on youtube that I've listed here and find some main that's dropping higher numbers than I am in wvw. Seriously doubt there's almost anyone dropping higher numbers on Mesmer, though. lmao 

Power chrono op wvw plz nerf super broken spec. I don't have screenies of anything because I'm pretty sure I purged most of my screenies from the last two years a few weeks back. So, here's something you'll never see any other power chrono doing (probably).

Enjoy. 

image.png.62fefff4367faa809d6c11ceb83eb9cb.png

Edited by Bach From The Brink.2715
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

37 minutes ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

What am I reading in this thread? Of course Anet should be listening to the more competitive players for balance changes. Most of you guys have no idea the gap between an "average" player and a competitive player. We are talking like a strength difference of at least 10x in many cases. The "average" players mostly stick to open world where builds don't matter since everything is a 100% win rate. I am glad Anet is listening to the more dedicated players. Please Anet, stay in that discord to not lose your sanity here.

Also berserker is still very strong in the right hands in WvW zergs. Spellbreakers were dominating PvP before the nerfs. Changes in PvE don't matter since everything is powercrept like crazy. No one is going to kick you from raids/strikes if you are a warrior main and somewhat know your class. If you are stuck at a PvE raid/strike boss, it is not because of DPS but rather mechanics (unless you are doing the absolute hardest content in the game atm, then yeah go with something like condi virt).

Listening to the top 1% of players rarely ever results in a more healthy game, though. Playing at the top tier of a game's skill level is usually a lot more complex than the rest of it and the majority of a player base isn't willing to engage with any game on that level, so the more keyed to that kind of skill level a game becomes, the more it excludes the rest of the player base. Despite the upper echelons of dps reaching well above 40k, most casual players slide in at 10k or less IIRC. Not too many people want to constantly memorize raid rotations, swap their weapons to maintain optimal uptime on sigils and buffs, and use consumables for every single encounter. But if the game winds up being balanced for the people who do all that stuff, we're going to start running into situations where more and more people just stop running the basic open world content because it stops being fun. People already complain, constantly, about how everything feels like a boring health sponge with bigger metas like Eparch and the two titans from Janthir being constant sore points even if the majority of attempts on them are successful these days.

Optimized power should be the exception, and the reward should be clearing content easier and faster. It should not be the expected norm, with the reward for having players parsing the highest being clearing content within the expected normal timeframe.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

It's exactly because Anet on;ly listens to that 1% of players that the gap not only persists, but becomes bigger and bigger. The power creep we've got throughout the last years did not directly impact those average players at all. They still do pretty much the same dps as they always did - even way back in Core.

Hint: Anet should concentrate on those ignored casuals way more, not less. It would make for an overall better game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Anet should concentrate on those ignored casuals way more, not less. It would make for an overall better game.

They shouldn’t. Most casuals have no clue about the game and their feedback is mostly trash, especially when it’s about balancing. Listening to them would make the game worse. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Bach From The Brink.2715 said:

I'm the only power mirage I've ever seen hit above 6k dps in the past year in a zerg. I don't even play it that often and I barely see anyone else playing it. I'm pretty routinely able to hit higher numbers and generate more downs / bring more utility on any other spec. I can literally hit 11-13k DPS on tempest lmao. You also have some boons you're giving out when you're on it, too. 

Holosmith can hit 30-40k dps w/ concentrated DPS and isn't as situational. Mirage NEEDS to be in open-field or else you can lose a LOT of damage while moving. But hey, mirage has never been able to reach those numbers and most classes can't, either. 

Catalyst can hit similar / higher numbers than Mirage and ITS GOING TO BE A BIGGER SINGLE HIT (12k+) to multiple targets and THEYRE GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT A FEW TIMES WITH FIRE RESET. 

Power tempest is unironically goated if you know where to drop overloads. Fire overload does NOT play. It'll hit harder than mirage ever could, too. 

Reaper can hit similar numbers to Mirage w/ some strips. 

Rev is going to hit similar numbers but also bring utility. 

I was seeing rangers a few months ago hit similar numbers to power mirage.

Good zerks still deal oodles of dmg compared to it, I have other posts mentioning that. 

No idea about willbender / DH anymore since I haven't touched the class in eons. From what I can tell, it's kinda maybe a little less damage than power mirage and other things but it's going to be able to provide boons? No idea. 

And all of the above, again, are benefitted with you being able to stand on your zerg effectively. They don't require you to try and avoid corridors + tight spaces. And again, their damage is just going to be FAR more concentrated. Unironically, reflect brand is capable of hitting higher numbers than power mirage ever could... but is also going to get less downs because ITS EVEN MORE SPREAD OUT THAT POWER MIRAGE WAS. Damage is the only thing power mirage really had going for it, and it didn't even do that better than a ton of other options. 

Power mirage was kinda like a worse staff weaver d/t spread. That's really the best comparison. 

No idea what goes down in PvP these days, although it's kinda funny that warrior was meta in the MAT because solo/duo-wise, they always seem to be the ones griefing. 

I have this theory that the only reason it was nerfed before anything else if they're trying to bring damage down was because there's a massive visual indicator for when split surge is going out. You notice it, but you're probably a LOT less likely to notice some holosmith dropping 30-40k dps on your group. It's just going to look like you evaporated in the melee if the other people in the zerg are going higher numbers, too. 

I don't know, I read something a lot different than that. If what you're saying really is the truth here, that's great. PvE is not my main game mode by any stretch of the word, I'm just regurgitating what I've read about it elsewhere / what was getting positive feedback. It was from some post that a lot of people were upvoting on a reddit thread over on the gw2 subreddit. 

=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You can probably look up half the classes on youtube that I've listed here and find some main that's dropping higher numbers than I am in wvw. Seriously doubt there's almost anyone dropping higher numbers on Mesmer, though. lmao 

Power chrono op wvw plz nerf super broken spec. I don't have screenies of anything because I'm pretty sure I purged most of my screenies from the last two years a few weeks back. So, here's something you'll never see any other power chrono doing (probably).

Enjoy. 

image.png.62fefff4367faa809d6c11ceb83eb9cb.png

Are you complaining about WvW balancing in PvE section? As far as I know nobody is benching in WvW... I hope you do realize that gamemodes have their own power coefficients for all skills. 

All your posts are seeping with hated towards gw2 content creators, at least tell us who it is 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bach From The Brink.2715 said:

Well, there are a lot of thing to consider

First : the warrior was above the virt bench before the nerf

Second : it's always hard to estimate the impact a change may have on a bench.

Third : bench are bench and you have to consider real fight, so it's not excluded than it was performing even better on real situation.

As for my personnal experience, guild members switching to warrior spear have experienced huge increase in dps by switching to the lance, going from average dps to top dps, sometimes even in condi favored boss as power dps. And it's not like they had became super skilled overnight. And that's sometimes still the case even after the change, to a lesser extent, of course.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Are you complaining about WvW balancing in PvE section? As far as I know nobody is benching in WvW... I hope you do realize that gamemodes have their own power coefficients for all skills. 

All your posts are seeping with hated towards gw2 content creators, at least tell us who it is 😄

No hate, but it'd be pretty great if we knew how balance happened. I'm sure you'd like to know. It's known we got a little bit of increased transparency after the whole discord leaks a while back but that hasn't lasted. 

If you know what GS power mirage was in WvW, you'd know just how much of a crime it was to get slapped with nerfs that large. Its kinda like saying any off-meta picks that aren't even overperforming and aren't common could get nerfed at any point in time just because ??? who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, there are a lot of thing to consider

First : the warrior was above the virt bench before the nerf

Second : it's always hard to estimate the impact a change may have on a bench.

Third : bench are bench and you have to consider real fight, so it's not excluded than it was performing even better on real situation.

As for my personnal experience, guild members switching to warrior spear have experienced huge increase in dps by switching to the lance, going from average dps to top dps, sometimes even in condi favored boss as power dps. And it's not like they had became super skilled overnight. And that's sometimes still the case even after the change, to a lesser extent, of course.

Balancing is pretty complicated and no small feat, for sure. There's so many factors and things to consider that it's no wonder they've got a team for that. Definitely some funky stuff going on with feedback and some changes, though. If warrior changes are reasonable, I can very well tell you that the mirage GS ambush nerf in WvW is pretty far removed from that. 

I thought warrior just kept on catching nerf after nerf? The recent nerf is the one that people seemed upset about because other classes that were now out-performing warrior weren't nerfed alongside it. 

Honestly, having classes that don't require significant skill that can bench high numbers is not a bad thing at all. At least that's kinda my personal thoughts on it. 

• Confused 6

5 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Exactly. I played it a lot these days and it was pretty fun, but apparently ANet doesn't want to see sustained AoE dps at 1200 range with close to perma invulnerability, while dodging and spamming ambushes without doing any rotation. Unlucky, I guess. 

Edited by Rocker.2906
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's exactly because Anet on;ly listens to that 1% of players that the gap not only persists, but becomes bigger and bigger. The power creep we've got throughout the last years did not directly impact those average players at all. They still do pretty much the same dps as they always did - even way back in Core.

Hint: Anet should concentrate on those ignored casuals way more, not less. It would make for an overall better game.

One thing is designing the systems to have a good learning curve and a healthy realition between average and high skilled player and similar skill requirements between classes. Last is arguable I guess. All type of players should be accounted here.

Completely another is balancing classes and build's power levels. This should be always done based on the top. Anything else makes completely no sense. Whats you baseline otherwise?

• Like 4

Don't really watch the content creators.   Content creators motivation would be driven by viewers and what gets them the most viewers.  Competitive games are the games that have the highest viewer count, changing Guild Wars 2 to a game that is like LoL or Valorant or Counter Strike does not make sense.   Just make a different game at that point. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Rocker.2906 said:

Exactly. I played it a lot these days and it was pretty fun, but apparently ANet doesn't want to see sustained AoE dps at 1200 range with close to perma invulnerability, while dodging and spamming ambushes without doing any rotation. Unlucky, I guess. 

You could make so many other classes sound broken if you used that spam logic. Like pogo stick thief. Perma dodges + bursts on people if you get resets with the energy sigil. Must be uber broken, right? 

Oh, but its melee! Range is clearly less healthy where you're using your dodges on nothing 90% of the time and spamming them for damage. 

Meanwhile multiple other classes dealing far more damage while being able to stand on tag effectively. Holosmith casually dropping 20k+ dps bombs sustained for like 300-600k, and oodles of other things. I literally had a screenshot of me dropping 40k dps / 450k/500k. Mirage would reach 1/4 of that at best and it wouldn't be as concentrated, it would be spread.

>Spamming ambushes. Maybe it would've occurred to you that's kinda the theme of the mirage, no? 

>Perma invulnerability, you're off-tag. You are not on a duelist spec. You can meme some people but if you're out of CDs, you don't have fun. Running GS/GS in place of sword or spear destroys your dueling ability unless you're playing against a complete noob. If you're on tag and moving around a lot, you sac a lot of damage. If you've actually played the spec in a group that knows how to move, you should have noticed this. 

>If you think this spec deserved what it got, you probably never touched it. Know a few peeps who will lie online to try and make it sound like they know what they're talking about. Either that or you've never touched any other spec.  

>Sustained DPS, again a good amount of that was spread. And there's multiple classes in the meta that are ahead of Mirage with concentrated DPS on arc. No idea how it's doing now but reflect brand could hit 20k dps / 1 million total. But you weren't getting any downs. Know why? Because it was ALL spread.

>Nothing warranted to 25%-30% nerf it received apart from the personal feelings of some balance dev and probably some anecdotal instance where a good mirage unintentionally topped the charts a few times in one of his/her zergs. Funny because when people play other things optimally it's just better. 

You're doing your best to make it sound bonkers broken here, which is great, because no one else in WvW was ever raving or ranting about how broken it was and how everyone should be playing it. I'd perform well on it and still pretty routinely be asked to swap off because you PROVIDE NOTHING ELSE BUT DAMAGE TO YOUR ZERG. You also get less damage than just playing other stuff in the meta well. AND AGAIN, its spread. If you manage to spam enough beams on a group to reach that magical 9k/10k sustained dps for say 400k, you're getting less downs than the zerk/catalyst who is hitting people multiple abilities in a row dealing 10k+ in a CLOSE proximity. 

• Confused 5

It would only be unhealthy if ANet exclusively made design decisions based on streamer comments and preferences. At that point the 'unhealthy' aspect would be ANet, not the streamers.

Fortunately this is not the case as much as some people might try to demonize certain streamers.

• Like 1

Are content creators healthy for the game? There's no one answer to that question, unless you want to count "it depends".

10 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Have the instanced PvE numbers hover around 40-46k because what matter to them all the time  , and the rest of the spells-utilities around the rest of modes that their aim is to survive (including OW) , sound less resource costly 😛

How do you "hover instanced pve numbers around 40-46k"? Who are those mysterious "them" you're talking about? What -or who- is any part of your post based on? What "rest of the spells-utilities" is this about? And finally, how any of it has anything to do with anything being "less resource costly"?

Honestly... what are you even talking about here?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bach From The Brink.2715 said:

You could make so many other classes sound broken if you used that spam logic. Like pogo stick thief. Perma dodges + bursts on people if you get resets with the energy sigil. Must be uber broken, right? 

Oh, but its melee! Range is clearly less healthy where you're using your dodges on nothing 90% of the time and spamming them for damage. 

Meanwhile multiple other classes dealing far more damage while being able to stand on tag effectively. Holosmith casually dropping 20k+ dps bombs sustained for like 300-600k, and oodles of other things. I literally had a screenshot of me dropping 40k dps / 450k/500k. Mirage would reach 1/4 of that at best and it wouldn't be as concentrated, it would be spread.

>Spamming ambushes. Maybe it would've occurred to you that's kinda the theme of the mirage, no? 

>Perma invulnerability, you're off-tag. You are not on a duelist spec. You can meme some people but if you're out of CDs, you don't have fun. Running GS/GS in place of sword or spear destroys your dueling ability unless you're playing against a complete noob. If you're on tag and moving around a lot, you sac a lot of damage. If you've actually played the spec in a group that knows how to move, you should have noticed this. 

>If you think this spec deserved what it got, you probably never touched it. Know a few peeps who will lie online to try and make it sound like they know what they're talking about. Either that or you've never touched any other spec.  

>Sustained DPS, again a good amount of that was spread. And there's multiple classes in the meta that are ahead of Mirage with concentrated DPS on arc. No idea how it's doing now but reflect brand could hit 20k dps / 1 million total. But you weren't getting any downs. Know why? Because it was ALL spread.

>Nothing warranted to 25%-30% nerf it received apart from the personal feelings of some balance dev and probably some anecdotal instance where a good mirage unintentionally topped the charts a few times in one of his/her zergs. Funny because when people play other things optimally it's just better. 

You're doing your best to make it sound bonkers broken here, which is great, because no one else in WvW was ever raving or ranting about how broken it was and how everyone should be playing it. I'd perform well on it and still pretty routinely be asked to swap off because you PROVIDE NOTHING ELSE BUT DAMAGE TO YOUR ZERG. You also get less damage than just playing other stuff in the meta well. AND AGAIN, its spread. If you manage to spam enough beams on a group to reach that magical 9k/10k sustained dps for say 400k, you're getting less downs than the zerk/catalyst who is hitting people multiple abilities in a row dealing 10k+ in a CLOSE proximity. 

I'm not saying Mirage is in a good spot, but I agree that this one build deserved the nerf to its playstyle, because it also came in spikes of burst instead of spread pressure like you said, but.. got it where it hurts other builds like power duelist... who just recently also lost dagger ambush. Seems to be a common theme unfortunately. A more elegant solution would be to make the damage less frontloaded, maybe bake it into the clones?

Just so you know, I do play most classes but have the most games on mesmer by a large margin, just not a big mirage or virtuoso enjoyer (I prefer chrono or core). Myself I'd prefer to see other buffs to mirage more in line with it's duelist aspects like on it's signature weapon axe which no one uses, maybe some more forms of mobility or mitigation would be nice? Anyway peace brother. Didn't mean to offend you, I also have no idea what to play when in zergs now but we'll find something! 🙂

43 minutes ago, Rocker.2906 said:

I'm not saying Mirage is in a good spot, but I agree that this one build deserved the nerf to its playstyle, because it also came in spikes of burst instead of spread pressure like you said, but.. got it where it hurts other builds like power duelist... who just recently also lost dagger ambush. Seems to be a common theme unfortunately. A more elegant solution would be to make the damage less frontloaded, maybe bake it into the clones?

Just so you know, I do play most classes but have the most games on mesmer by a large margin, just not a big mirage or virtuoso enjoyer (I prefer chrono or core). Myself I'd prefer to see other buffs to mirage more in line with it's duelist aspects like on it's signature weapon axe which no one uses, maybe some more forms of mobility or mitigation would be nice? Anyway peace brother. Didn't mean to offend you, I also have no idea what to play when in zergs now but we'll find something! 🙂

Give power chrono a try. It's unironically in a better state than power GS mirage if you hit your abilities and focus on timing your cont splits well.

This is the big one. If you don't time your cont split well, bad stuff happens. You port back into their zerg, you lose out on dps, youre too far away and your clones get blown up en route to target, or they shatter at the edge of the enemy group instead of the center. 

Honestly felt super taxed getting to a point where I could consistently bomb on power chrono, especially given you NEED to be able to hit high APM during cont split... which sometimes just doesn't happen with wvw lag. 

I still don't agree that mirage deserved what it got, but hey, good luck out there. I'm very top-down when it comes to balance ideation. If something has other options that are out-performing it, even if that build is annoying (was power mirage this?), it should get to exist as is. So long as it isn't meta (the overperformers), that's fine for the game.

• Confused 4