Is this program allowed?

Blude.6812

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Genesis.5169 said:And your against this because?

all 3rd party hacks need to banned, it only encourages cheating and ignoring bot, reports. Make Bling and ignore all else seems to be the new mantra.

Not a Hack.It's a mod. One that confers no advantages to the user.

One could argue that optimization of traveling can be an advantage (as time = money). But yeah, Taco is not a hack. It uses API which are released by Anet and any problems caused by API data is on them to solve.

So you agree that dps meter that use API is not a hack now?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/66m13h/anet_this_really_should_be_part_of_the_game/dgjyrji/9 months ago

I haven't seen anything that TACO is doing that would violate the rules set forward with the fair usage of the mumble API.

That's the only official response I can find. Not an endorsement, but it seems they're OK with it as long as the app falls within certain guidelines.

@"Charrbeque.8729" said:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/66m13h/anet_this_really_should_be_part_of_the_game/dgjyrji/9 months ago

I haven't seen anything that TACO is doing that would violate the rules set forward with the fair usage of the mumble API.

That's the only official response I can find. Not an endorsement, but it seems they're OK with it as long as the app falls within certain guidelines.

ANet never has and never will "endorse" a third party app. The most they will say is that it isn't violating rules when used as directed (and doesn't have any loopholes that allow it to be used other than as directed, which was the sticking point for that "other" DPS meter).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Charrbeque.8729" said:
9 months ago

ANet never has and never will "endorse" a third party app. The most they will say is that it isn't violating rules when used as directed (and doesn't have any loopholes that allow it to be used other than as directed, which was the sticking point for that "other" DPS meter).

You just repeated what I said.

Thanks? :/

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Genesis.5169 said:And your against this because?

all 3rd party hacks need to banned, it only encourages cheating and ignoring bot, reports. Make Bling and ignore all else seems to be the new mantra.

Not a Hack.It's a mod. One that confers no advantages to the user.

One could argue that optimization of traveling can be an advantage (as time = money). But yeah, Taco is not a hack. It uses API which are released by Anet and any problems caused by API data is on them to solve.

So you agree that dps meter that use API is not a hack now?

I never called API a hack. DPS meter on the other hand is not using API but hacks game memory to provide data you can't get from vanilla game client on your own.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Oh come off it, if this was a UI feature that you could buy for 800 gems, people would lose their mind and call it P2W, and We both know it too.

Absolutely. But it's free, made by a player, and given legitimacy from ANet. So that nullifies your example completely.

I am not putting words in your mouth, here is you agreeing that you would call it P2W. Not cool to try and discredit me like that.. not cool at all. I am working with what you said.

That was not me... learn to differentiate between people.

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:this is not a hack, though, it's an overlay.An overlay only gives you visual information, while a hack gives you physical performance improvements.

It will give you an advantage that other players won't have in front of them. There is no equality. Due to that, that, makes it a no no because it does offer an advantage. While anet has typically responded with "combat" being the focus, the phrasing has never included the term combat.

So my personal stance is "nope." But play how you want to play, i'm not in competition with you.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh come off it, if this was a UI feature that you could buy for 800 gems, people would lose their mind and call it P2W, and We both know it too.

Absolutely. But it's free, made by a player, and given legitimacy from ANet. So that nullifies your example completely.

I am not putting words in your mouth, here is you agreeing that you would call it P2W. Not cool to try and discredit me like that.. not cool at all. I am working with what you said.

That was not me... learn to differentiate between people.

Given how close your names are, I am amazed I don't make that mistake more often.

@OneYenShort.3189 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:this is not a hack, though, it's an overlay.An overlay only gives you visual information, while a hack gives you physical performance improvements.

It will give you an advantage that other players won't have in front of them. There is no equality. Due to that, that, makes it a no no because it does offer an advantage. While anet has typically responded with "combat" being the focus, the phrasing has never included the term combat.

So my personal stance is "nope." But play how you want to play, i'm not in competition with you.

Using voice chat also gives you an advantage over others that aren't using it, but it's not part of the game. Should it be banned?

@GreyWolf.8670 said:

Using voice chat also gives you an advantage over others that aren't using it, but it's not part of the game. Should it be banned?

Oh, and Dulfy, people who check Dulfy have a clear advantage when it comes to collections, puzzles and challenges. It has detailed guides on everything.I think we should ban everyone who has ever visited that site, you know. It being cheating and all. No one can have any more information that what we can see ingame.

While we're at it, let's ban everyone who uses the audio, because it gives an advantage over the people who chose not use the audio, or can't use it for technical or medical reasons. Gotta keep the platform even, right?

And what about the screen? yea.. that's a no go. I can see what's going on, which gives me an advantage over the people who play with their eyes closed. Better ban everyone who has an acount as well, because it gives me an advantage over the people who don't have an acount. Speaking of pay2win. You can buy an acount which gives you access to skills, armors, weapons, abilities. Those are all things you don't have if you don't buy the game, so it's clearly pay2win.. or is it cheating.. I don't know anymore..

Maybe the real problem is the term advantage is being thrown around without any proper thought.Many players in an MMO will have an advantage over other players for all sorts of reasons.A player who has 10 legendary weapons has an advantage over a player who has none, but that doesnt mean legendary weapons should be banned.A player who plays the game 10 hours a day , 7 days a week , 365 days a year has an enormous advantage over a player who only plays 1 hour a week.A player with a high end computer and low latency internet feed has an enormous advantage over someone with a clapped out laptop and a high latency connection.

Given how close your names are, I am amazed I don't make that mistake more often.

Um . . . our names start with the letter A. As far as I can tell . . . that's the only thing similar. Besides that, you quoted and criticize my earlier response and then did it again two days later.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Again, the counterpoint comes from a place of fact and not one of emotion. Sorry it's not to your liking, but we argue with proof and not opinion.

That's how professional debates are won.

That said . . . Taco is awesome and it's allowed by ANet. Until that changes, any further discussion is moot.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet never has and never will "endorse" a third party app. The most they will say is that it isn't violating rules when used as directed (and doesn't have any loopholes that allow it to be used other than as directed, which was the sticking point for that "other" DPS meter).They seemed to endorse overwolf (was that the name?) as I recall.

@OneYenShort.3189 said:

It doesn't give an advantage in the sense that you can't do it without the program.

From what I've seen of Taco, it's just an overlay that puts down small circles to show you a path to take. You're quite capable of taking those paths without Taco.

Really, this is just a difference between figuring out things on your own and going to Game Faqs, YouTube, Dulfy's site, etc., to look up a walkthrough. (that is assuming Taco fallows the guild lines laid out on Reddit by a dev a while back, and hasn't been modified in a way that violates those guide lines)

@OneYenShort.3189 said:

Nothing. Let me repeat, nothing is stopping other players from downloading and running TaCO so the "advantage" (which it is not, its a convenience) is available to everyone. Sure i could open a few browser tabs and keep hem open to dulfy and a world boss timer and a few other sites to get the same info, but my computer my crash after some time. OR, I could use TaCO and get the same info in game.

Archived