Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

1 hour ago, Niagara.2715 said:

You mean you tried manually installing the game in it's own prefix without going through Lutris or Steam?

Because that's the only thing that worked for me, after trying all suggestions to no avail.

Updated wine-staging to 7.13 for dependencies, then I used this wine: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom (it works outside Lutris) to install and launch the game after installing dxvk (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v1.10.2) into the custom prefix (with the "--with-d3d10" option, it was crashing without).

It still crashes every now and then when accessing TP or switching characters, and there are glitches (same problems on Windows from what I've read so far), but it's mostly playable.

Yes that is correct, GW2 in its own environment.

So I have got wine-staging-amd64, v7.13. Have installed DXVK latest version together with '--with-d3d10'. Still the same problem.
I am running MX Linux on AMD Ryzen 7 4800H if that at all matters. 

17 hours ago, Killerassel.2197 said:

I'm not sure if this falls into the change random thing and suddenly it works category or if I have found and fixed my problem. And I don't dare to experiment any further. 😅

I had the AwCohContext.cpp(375)  / GPU process crashed error in the launcher. Further investigation and an internet search suggested I might be missing the 32 bit vulkan libs. I installed lib32-vulkan-radeon, restarted lutris and could play.

Didn't expect the 64 bit GW2 client, or any software in 2022, to depend on 32bit libs. I think it's the Coherent UI Host thingy that needs it.

My current, now running, config is: Arch Linux, Radeon card with open source drivers, Lutris, wine lutris-7.2.2-x86_64, DXVK v1.10.2.

I did have two crashes, though. The first time the game just closed. No error dialog, nothing. Just *poof* and gone. At the second crash my whole desktop froze. I have a suspicion what caused this one, and if I'm right it had nothing to do with the game.

Anet must have changed SOMETHING on their end with an undocumented change because I haven't had time to tinker with WINE yet on Mac and after hearing from a fellow guild member who uses WINE on Linux and was suddenly able to log in today, I found the same. 

Yes, after the last update, game crashed randomly for me (when accessing black lion market - 100% crash), but for some unknown reason, this stopped by itself! dunno why..
I'm not sure that at the moment there will be no crashes at all, but i played 2 days and the game is going well.

System :OS: Linuxmint 20.3 una
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 8x 3.5GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Lutris:
Wine lutris-fshack-6.21-6-x86_64

DXVK - 1.10.2

However, the problem is that on a second pc with the same OS and Lutris settings, but with different hardware, the game crashes almost constantly 😕

Been trying to login since the update without success. I've tried various Wine versions, none of them are working.

For the moment I can't even provide a proper standalone package.

37 minutes ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

Anet must have changed SOMETHING on their end with an undocumented change because I haven't had time to tinker with WINE yet on Mac and after hearing from a fellow guild member who uses WINE on Linux and was suddenly able to log in today, I found the same. 

I skimmed over the latest changelog multiple times and there's absolutely no sign of this change.

Edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849

On 7/19/2022 at 10:31 PM, Reactor.6975 said:

@ArmoredVehicle.2849I did some tests. After the GW2 update playing through dxvk requires Vulkan child window rendering:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45277

Patches can be found in the Valve repository:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine/commits/f06b97c57d0abd9ab25289d3ccce12737beef51a
7 patches total ("winex11.drv: Remove unused X11DRV_GET_DRAWABLE ExtEscape code" optional)

Rebased versions can be found in the Frogging-Family repository:
https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/tree/master/wine-tkg-git/wine-tkg-patches/misc/childwindow

This patchset is not in "vanilla" Wine or Wine-Staging, but builds of Proton, Lutris, GE contain it
(after changing build versions, it may be necessary to create a new prefix).

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 well now it's much clearer. I will duplicate https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2729#issuecomment-1191440212 here

1. if you see
    Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed
    File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2554)

- this means that dxvk even is not set up to the prefix.
  2. if you see
    Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed
    File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(375)

- make sure you have 32-bit dependencies (at least vulkan) installed on your system
    (also as far as I understand it, is preferable for AMD users to choose radv instead of amdvlk at this point),
    and if they are builds based on vanilla Wine or Wine-Staging - make sure they contain childwindow.patch

Also make sure you are using the latest version of dxvk (ready official build can be found here for about 3 months https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/actions/runs/2669737640)
- this will fix such behavior:

24 minutes ago, Reactor.6975 said:

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 well now it's much clearer. I will duplicate https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2729#issuecomment-1191440212 here

1. if you see
    Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed
    File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2554)

- this means that dxvk even is not set up to the prefix.
  2. if you see
    Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed
    File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(375)

- make sure you have 32-bit dependencies (at least vulkan) installed on your system
    (also as far as I understand it, is preferable for AMD users to choose radv instead of amdvlk at this point),
    and if they are builds based on vanilla Wine or Wine-Staging - make sure they contain childwindow.patch

Also make sure you are using the latest version of dxvk (ready official build can be found here for about 3 months https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/actions/runs/2669737640)

Thanks for pointing that out. Will give it another shot

Steam + GE-Proton 7.25 still works for me, TP is also good, no lags, no crashes. The overall performance is slightly worse that before (I used ArmoredVehicle-s package), but almost never drops under 30, mostly 55-60 (1080p, custom high/med settings). I also see a few lightning/shadow glitches on far objects, but it seems it is common on Windows too since the Tuesday patch.

I don't have the time now, but tomorrow I'll make a longer run around.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Nvidia GTX 1660Ti, Endeavour (Arch), XFCE / X11, up-to-date drivers/kernel

18 minutes ago, Umiz.5786 said:

Guys got a quick question for ya. Has anybody got acrdps working while playing the game with Lutris? I cant seem to get it work 

You need to use the wine glass menu at the bottom of the Lutris window to select Wine Console, then type in winecfg, then in the Libraries tab add overrides for d3d9 and d3d11. After that just put the DLL in the game directory, next to Gw2-64.exe. Don't put both DLLs there, it can only handle one or it breaks.

I believe ArcDPS is hidden by default, you need to press a key combination to show it.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I can't get any mods to load with the game either. I can get the game itself to work relatively well with Proton, but the second mods are brought in it gives me a shader compilation error. vkBasalt also seems to fail, either crashing the launcher, or if I run it with the base config, I just get a black screen and an unresponsive application I have to force close.

From what I can tell, the final crash comes down to something being missing on systems that we don't know about. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what it is. The people who have it working likely brought it in with some other package, but due to differences between distros that's not universal.

This version of the game and CoherintUI both came with major changes to the graphics code. Particularly use of features like shared resources, child window rendering, and so on. This results in multiple potential problems across the board all of which have to be solved, and even if you manage to have the  correct versions of Wine, DXVK, and no issues with your environment it still doesn't guarantee your system has everything installed to run it, because most distros don't have these same versions of Wine and DXVK installed at a system-level thus don't have the same dependancies installed for them.

Some players are just "getting lucky" and having the right setups, basically.

The TL;DR is, ArenaNet started using something bleeding-edge without testing it first. From what I understand it has a significant number of issues on Windows as well, as posts about having problems with the launcher and TP are all over the place, especially regarding Windows 11. The best case scenario would be for them to revert it, but they're not going to, as the original Mac version is no longer officially supported since a long time and was basically the only reason they ever cared about Wine to begin with.

I'm not sure what we should do at this point. I used to work on this kind of stuff for a living but I've been out of the game for a while and no longer have the technical expertise necessary to fix it. At the very least, we'd need players who still can't get it working on any configuration to comb through debug logs, which is a difficult and time consuming process.

Before going any further with reporting results, please make sure of the following:

- That you have Wine 7.2-2 or a "Protonized" 7.2-2, verified by the DXVK devs as being neccessary. Preferably Proton, as normal Wine isn't patched for child window rendering yet.

- That you have DXVK 1.10.1 or higher, also verified by the DXVK devs as being neccessary.

- Report your distro, your GPU model, and your amount of VRAM, and whether you used Steam, Lutris or ran the game from some kind of bare metal setup, and what that is if so.

Saying "I got it working on this version of Wine 6" or something isn't helpful. We need testing to be done against the latest/recommended versions of Wine and DXVK for the information to be useful. Everyone has to be on equal ground for comparisons to be made.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

So after messing about with the lutris installer, I got the game running using the default lutris wine runner (called lutris-fshack-7.2), which is a modified version of Wine 7.2.2 (as far as I know) which applies a number of updates to the default wine configuration similar to Proton. Additionally, I'm using DXVK version 1.10.2

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080

For what it's worth, I'm using the 5.15 Linux kernel.

I haven't done any extensive stability testing, although my initial impression is that the framerate seems a bit more erratic than before the update, although it's overall performance is fairly similar, perhaps slightly worse (moving around in Lion's Arch, I get between 50-70 fps)

If you have already installed the game through lutris, it should be able to run if you change the wine version (can be done under the 'Runner options' tab when configuring the game)

I have submitted the edited lutris install script for approval by the moderators, but until that goes through you can edit the script manually yourself if you haven't installed the game through lutris and want to test whether it works on your system. Go to https://lutris.net/games/guild-wars-2/ and press the arrow next to the topmost install button. Select 'Edit installer' from the dropdown. This will open a script editor on the site. Scroll down to the bottom to locate the install script, and replace the last line of the script:

version: lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64

With the following:

version: lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64

Hit the 'Save draft' button and then hit 'Test this installer' . This should run the modified install script and begin installation.

If there's anything else I can do to help or test with regards to the new update, please let me know and I will try to get around to it ASAP

• Thanks 1

Hi guys.

I was having the same issues with Lutris as mentioned in previous posts.

I'm running Kubuntu.

What worked for me is running the game through steam. I had to download and install the 'soldier' runtime first and then add GW2 as a non native steam game following the usual steps.

I'm using using GE-Proton 7-26 ( latest ) and xanmod Kernel 5.18.

GPU is AMD 6750xt

The game is running great and updated.

Note, I'm using the latest dxvk master builds as they are released.

Edited by QuestingQuaggan.8749
  • Like 1

Hello, 

Same issue as the rest, for what I can see 98% is using new hardware, mine is 10yo hardware, except for th video card is an nVidia 1050ti 4GB ddr5...

I'm using Debian 10,  KDE.

Last update for my OS was yesterday and today when I open GW2  it went down pretty fast(just about an hr ago...) so I was looking for the solution.

The solution is quite simple you have to change or fiddle with the settings depending on the OS and software use for gaming, in my case I have Wine + Lutris, current version for Lutris 7.22 from the update yesterday and DXVK 1.10... 

So downloaded a few from page 56 to 57 of this topic and finally got working again.

For my case I'm using lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64 and DXVK 1.9.4L-2, thats the only 2 things I have change it and is working.

_,met$$$$$gg.          
   ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       -------------  
 ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) x86_64  
,$$P'              `$$$.     Host: MS-7693 2.0  
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Kernel: 4.19.0-21-amd64  
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Uptime: 12 hours, 22 mins  
$$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Packages: 3176 (dpkg), 8 (snap)  
$$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Shell: bash 5.0.3  
$$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1280x1024  
Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         DE: KDE  
`$$b      "-.__              WM: KWin  
 `Y$$                        WM Theme: Sweet-Mars-transparent  
  `Y$$.                      Theme: Sweet [KDE], Breeze [GTK3]  
    `$$b.                    Icons: Papirus-Dark [KDE], candy-icons [GTK3]  
      `Y$$b.                 Terminal: konsole  
         `"Y$b._             CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6) @ 3.500GHz  
             `"""            GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti  
                             Memory: 11188MiB / 16012MiB

I got 90 to 120FPS on not so populated maps and about 20 - 40FPS on massive group events like MetaEvents... WvW about 50 - 60FPS and general PvP 50-70fps... not bad for a casual player like me :).

Just play with the settings on that area, every OS and hardware is different so the issue is not 100% ArenaNet.

2 minutes ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

I don't think anyone had claimed that.

I did find a few post not here, saying that the recent crashes was because of the new updates...

There one little thing I just notice while playing... the Lion Arch UI has something... can't explain, slow?... I don't know, is just that to search for something takes way too much time, sale or buying... I think I read something about that in here I just can't find it... other than that the game is running pretty good.

53 minutes ago, Tanker.9802 said:

Hello, 

Same issue as the rest, for what I can see 98% is using new hardware, mine is 10yo hardware, except for th video card is an nVidia 1050ti 4GB ddr5...

I'm using Debian 10,  KDE.

Last update for my OS was yesterday and today when I open GW2  it went down pretty fast(just about an hr ago...) so I was looking for the solution.

The solution is quite simple you have to change or fiddle with the settings depending on the OS and software use for gaming, in my case I have Wine + Lutris, current version for Lutris 7.22 from the update yesterday and DXVK 1.10... 

So downloaded a few from page 56 to 57 of this topic and finally got working again.

For my case I'm using lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64 and DXVK 1.9.4L-2, thats the only 2 things I have change it and is working.

_,met$$$$$gg.          
   ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       -------------  
 ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) x86_64  
,$$P'              `$$$.     Host: MS-7693 2.0  
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Kernel: 4.19.0-21-amd64  
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Uptime: 12 hours, 22 mins  
$$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Packages: 3176 (dpkg), 8 (snap)  
$$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Shell: bash 5.0.3  
$$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1280x1024  
Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         DE: KDE  
`$$b      "-.__              WM: KWin  
 `Y$$                        WM Theme: Sweet-Mars-transparent  
  `Y$$.                      Theme: Sweet [KDE], Breeze [GTK3]  
    `$$b.                    Icons: Papirus-Dark [KDE], candy-icons [GTK3]  
      `Y$$b.                 Terminal: konsole  
         `"Y$b._             CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6) @ 3.500GHz  
             `"""            GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti  
                             Memory: 11188MiB / 16012MiB

I got 90 to 120FPS on not so populated maps and about 20 - 40FPS on massive group events like MetaEvents... WvW about 50 - 60FPS and general PvP 50-70fps... not bad for a casual player like me :).

Just play with the settings on that area, every OS and hardware is different so the issue is not 100% ArenaNet.

Thanks for this! I'm on much newer hardware and kernel, and running the game through Lutris with those exact WINE and DXVK versions has me working again just in time for a guild event coming up. You're a lifesaver!

2 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

What do you mean? The Trading Post?

There's a memory leak currently in Coherent UI that'll eventually slow the TP to a crawl.

Hello, yes the trading post, everytime I open it to sell or retrieve something it goes turtle  speed., other than that I'm happy with the FPS I got.