Consolidated Suggestions for DE Changes

saerni.2584

@saerni.2584

A general suggestion to improve Deadeye Quality of Life.

Currently, we are an incredibly squishy profession. Many abilities in raids and in open world will instantly down us. When this happens, our Deadeye's Mark is removed but the cooldown is not reset.

I'd like to suggest that this is looked into - it is unnecessarily annoying in open world and in instanced PvE. Could Deadeye's Mark be changed to reset whenever it is removed through other means, such as a player entering downstate?

Furthermore, Deadeye's Mark remains bugged in that when it is cast on a low health target which dies within a couple of quick hits following the Mark, Deadeye's Mark does not reset. This is exceptionally punishing for open world Fire for Effect builds as Might cannot be generated by remarking and with there being no marked target but a long cooldown, Cantrips can't be used to generate Might and Fury either.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I wouldn't mind a stunbreak/evade on deaths retreat. Something really needs to take place over kneel rifle 4 though. Like dj hehe. I wish cb was for the stealth attack. These changes would be something I can chew on and would make rifle stand out amongst the other weapon choices.

stun break good idea but it should at least useable when immobilzed. Currently immob just kills u.

@Urejt.5648 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I wouldn't mind a stunbreak/evade on deaths retreat. Something really needs to take place over kneel rifle 4 though. Like dj hehe. I wish cb was for the stealth attack. These changes would be something I can chew on and would make rifle stand out amongst the other weapon choices.

stun break good idea but it should at least useable when immobilzed. Currently immob just kills u.

No thanks to a 6 initiative stun break that also ports you away. That would be beyond broken.

make sniper's cover like pistol 4 even if you have to downsize the field just enough to fit the deadeye - doesnt need to be instacast, you can add cast time. evade frames on death's retreat sound nice, also fits the skill as it is supposed to be a 'retreat' skill.

imo DE is completely broken. today some DE bugged himself into our Keep on home borderlands. he was perma invis. it mean absolutely perma invis, for minutes, sometime starting to shoot you with 6 confu,20 stacks of Poison, bleeding, vlnerability, immo, and 1 dodge and invis for minutes again and than out of nowhere i got that 27.400 Dmg malicious backstab, oneshotand dead. where is plz the counterplay to that anet?

it is really a bad joke if you see that and anet come to Forums and Talking About "balancing is a moving target" while they are buffing that shit for more invis, and more dmg…

mPdefoT.jpg

I'm not really seeing the condi dmg that thief is doing, it is really low in that screenshot, he is full power it seems. Do you have more shots of combat log? Maybe he's running deadly arts line and hitting you with kneeling rifle 2 for the immob, and confusion on mark in trickery. Maybe this is Mudse with his big backstabs again :o

@"Zero.3871" said:imo DE is completely broken. today some DE bugged himself into our Keep on home borderlands. he was perma invis. it mean absolutely perma invis, for minutes, sometime starting to shoot you with 6 confu,20 stacks of Poison, bleeding, vlnerability, immo, and 1 dodge and invis for minutes again and than out of nowhere i got that 27.400 Dmg malicious backstab, oneshotand dead. where is plz the counterplay to that anet?

it is really a bad joke if you see that and anet come to Forums and Talking About "balancing is a moving target" while they are buffing that kitten for more invis, and more dmg…

mPdefoT.jpg

I’ll address the power damage build because that’s the only thing the Screenshot shows.

It looks like MUDse’s build based around using rifle to build malice and then jumping into a MBS with huge damage to down you.

Your best bet is based on what you are running.

First, I’d set up a fear mark and several other marks to prevent him from hitting you and try to do damage. You know he needs to close to melee range so don’t let him do so easily. Be ready with a stunbreak and counter pressure skills. Your best choice is probably axe with ranged pressure because as long as he is visible you will be able to pressure him—he’s glass so even a few hits may down him.

Second option. Stay mobile and try to reset the mark. You just need to stay out of sight when the mark expires to reset malice to zero. He is playing two high stakes games: (1) stay in stealth and (2) keep you visible. You can either try to find his smoke fields to interrupt his stealth stacking or you can try to line of sight his mark when it goes on cooldown. If he has to chase you he will be hard pressed to keep his stealth active and you will have an opportunity to counter attack.

@saerni.2584 said:

@"Zero.3871" said:imo DE is completely broken. today some DE bugged himself into our Keep on home borderlands. he was
perma invis
. it mean absolutely perma invis, for minutes, sometime starting to shoot you with 6 confu,20 stacks of Poison, bleeding, vlnerability, immo, and 1 dodge and invis for minutes again and than out of nowhere i got that
27.400 Dmg
malicious backstab,
oneshot
and dead. where is plz the counterplay to that anet?

it is really a bad joke if you see that and anet come to Forums and Talking About "balancing is a moving target" while they are buffing that kitten for more invis, and more dmg…

mPdefoT.jpg

I’ll address the power damage build because that’s the only thing the Screenshot shows.

It looks like MUDse’s build based around using rifle to build malice and then jumping into a MBS with huge damage to down you.

Your best bet is based on what you are running.

First, I’d set up a fear mark and several other marks to prevent him from hitting you and try to do damage. You know he needs to close to melee range so don’t let him do so easily. Be ready with a stunbreak and counter pressure skills. Your best choice is probably axe with ranged pressure because as long as he is visible you will be able to pressure him—he’s glass so even a few hits may down him.

Second option. Stay mobile and try to reset the mark. You just need to stay out of sight when the mark expires to reset malice to zero. He is playing two high stakes games: (1) stay in stealth and (2) keep you visible. You can either try to find his smoke fields to interrupt his stealth stacking or you can try to line of sight his mark when it goes on cooldown. If he has to chase you he will be hard pressed to keep his stealth active and you will have an opportunity to counter attack.

my Problem with that is simply, that this is retarded. where you Need skill to stay 3 min invis and than backstab your enemy for nearly 30k dmg? there is no skillrotation, no fight. everyone was complaining About scourge shades insta cast has no room for reaction and counterplay ( okay im fine with that, i agree) but 30k dmg without warning out of invis after minutes of invis? some Sound warning on malicious backstab like on death judgement would help a lot.

yeah i used my marks like you suggest. but for every halfway skilled thief its ez to dodge while porting on enemy and than insta cast that backstab. with good Timing there is less than 0,25 seconds between mark procs and 30k dmg hit. no human reaction can handle that...while you have to use your dodges to evade the death judgements…

and even if he failed, he just Need to dodge ONE TIME and he get invis again and can cast his 2 min perma invis Rotation again. while he is invis you cant use any target needed skill on him.

There is a skill rotation. The black powder on D/P is what let’s him stay in perma stealth.

You are, however, correct that marks are not a 100% guarantee. I can’t give you that. A good thief is a hard match up for a Necromancer.

If you are running Core the difficulties compound because you lack the AoE cleave the elite specialization offer.

And the second option is probably more viable. You can disrupt the stealth on a bad thief but a good one won’t be easy to reveal. Instead, focus on line of sighting mark and resetting malice.

He uses mark and two hits to get five malice. He can pick up a few more using heal (withdraw) and playing a waiting game. That requires a lot of investment in skill use and weapons swapping to stack malice and stealth.

Don’t forget he likely lacks untelegraphed ports. Just moving and playing with line of sight will force him to chase. If he messes up or you outplay him be ready to pounce and wreck him.

Also you might have better luck with Scourge or Reaper if you are struggling. Core necro needs a lot of team support compared to the elite specs.

Last, something I learned in EvE. Sometimes, when you escape death it is victory. You don’t have to kill him to deny him his prize.

@"Zero.3871" said:imo DE is completely broken. today some DE bugged himself into our Keep on home borderlands. he was perma invis. it mean absolutely perma invis, for minutes, sometime starting to shoot you with 6 confu,20 stacks of Poison, bleeding, vlnerability, immo, and 1 dodge and invis for minutes again and than out of nowhere i got that 27.400 Dmg malicious backstab, oneshotand dead. where is plz the counterplay to that anet?

mPdefoT.jpg

i was that deadeye on main account today and i did not bug myself in the keep our zerg wiped there on first attempt and i remained inside and farmed you guys till most ragequit and we were able to take it, its still paper so was worth it. i didnt apply confusion but i did apply some poison with binding shadows.not exactly sure how long i was in there but i was able to harvest 2 times and shortly after we flipped it a 3rd time.

@saerni.2584 said:There is a skill rotation. The black powder on D/P is what let’s him stay in perma stealth.

You are, however, correct that marks are not a 100% guarantee. I can’t give you that. A good thief is a hard match up for a Necromancer.

If you are running Core the difficulties compound because you lack the AoE cleave the elite specialization offer.

And the second option is probably more viable. You can disrupt the stealth on a bad thief but a good one won’t be easy to reveal. Instead, focus on line of sighting mark and resetting malice.

He uses mark and two hits to get five malice. He can pick up a few more using heal (withdraw) and playing a waiting game. That requires a lot of investment in skill use and weapons swapping to stack malice and stealth.

Don’t forget he likely lacks untelegraphed ports. Just moving and playing with line of sight will force him to chase. If he messes up or you outplay him be ready to pounce and wreck him.

Also you might have better luck with Scourge or Reaper if you are struggling. Core necro needs a lot of team support compared to the elite specs.

Last, something I learned in EvE. Sometimes, when you escape death it is victory. You don’t have to kill him to deny him his prize.

i didnt use much black powder only when noone was around and too lazy. they had ALOT of anti stealth traps so i had to keep low profile. i mostly put snipers cover into a wall i was kneeling infront so it was invisible and comboed with HS as the combo field is larger then the visible wall.

as it was inside garrison i really had a good advantage as i can mostly shoot from above/ below and with binding shadows they cannot really do anything against malice build up. and then i just need to keep the mark. zero was a reaper that came rather at the end i was already long in that keep and most already did rage quit. and in all the time i was inside altho he is a reaper he was the 2nd most dangerous opponent. because mostly i wasnt able to come near without getting weakness by his trait and i wont dare a backstab in an enemy keep with weakness on me because that is stupid. if i die i cant come back, if they die they can so i try to play with the least risk i can. the other dangerous person in there was shortly a power mirage and what made him especially dangerous is that he never split up from the others long enough so i never had a window to down and stomp him, had to kill people far away from him and wait till he left. most people in there were defensive scourges and firebrand etc they simply put 0 pressure on a DE with my build. a scourge that was in there rather at the end with zero together was alot more clever tho no threat cause trailblaizer i think, i didnt kill him once. as soon as malice was build up he jumped into outer.overall mostly its just classes trying to get me out of keeps that are not suited for the task. rangers, thieves, mesmers and when within a group scrapper/holo/dh they can really give me a hard time, but its mostly firebrands with their 100 minstrel staff auto hits and trailblaizer scourges applying only condis so no way they can do anything.

edit: interesting also that i have seen recent only two posts about this play and it was both me once on main and once on second account. so either not many other playing it or not good enough and it does require more skill then it looks. pressing the backstab is not hard. keeping low profile in an enemy keep, picking the right target at the right time - that is what you need to learn or you will die very quick. you cant just walk up on any opponent and just faceroll them, beacuse full berserk no passive procs and only 1 stunbreak with 50s cd that is restriced by valid path, on some walls i dont have a stunbreak therefor.

@saerni.2584 said:Interesting combo with rifle’s cover mechanic. Same with weakness.

Is there any other advice you can offer to our Reaper friend?

for open field there is no advice that would help in any way.

inside a keep its different tho. you got to ask yourself first why is that thief in here, what is his goal.because it was t3 alpine keep with iron guards, pretty much longest to take keep you can have. all keeps on desert are alot faster to flip solo.i would probably need 8-10 minutes in there at the lord because adds(with iron hide!) and heal below 50% hp that all alpine guards do. so i cant really suprise flip it.in this keep when it gets tagged scouts usually walk through lords room while checking outer, on desert many lords you can kill with the scouts inside as the lord is not on their route.with 1 dangerous class like a thief, mesmer, ranger , holo with prestacked stealth etc (only power builds, condis still do 0 dmg) you can easily gank me at the lord if i go for it. especially in that keep when comming in from watergate portal. a reaper can use this watergate portal to disrupt me at lord and get out before i get deadly towards him and so i loose pressure on the lord wich will cause more add spawns and even less pressure so he will heal up. with just him it would probably take me 30 mins to kill the lord. in that time you can easily call a 2nd person to force me retreat from the lord or kill me.so i was in there and i knew it is highly unlikely to flip it, so i didnt even try. so why was i still in there? because i allways had more then 2 people in there that i was keeping busy and made alot of kills. our commander flip other stuff when i got a little more attention from them and after a while when they got annoyed we flipped it. they could have just bored me to death if they cannot muster any dangerous class. i mean what am i going to do inside, just ignore me , dont feed me bags and if i go for lord disrupt me.if i just want to survive and in between for a while i actually did that, i swap out critical strikes for acrobatics cause IR, use nomad gear with adventurer rune and then stay permastealthed without any smoke + leap combo just silent scope and maybe hidden thief/utilities. but even if you reveal me in that setup and jump me with 10 its highly unlikely i will die. actually i have never once died within that armor and trait choice. so there is no way to actually force a deadeye out of your keep without like a huge blob. i think with 50+ people in inner that are spread out, anti stealth traps everywhere then i am pretty much done for, likely still leave alive but i would leave then. its just more efficient to either gank me on the lord or bore me out instead of feeding me and getting yourself to rage quite and therefor even hand me the keys to your keep.

@"saerni.2584" said:Interesting combo with rifle’s cover mechanic. Same with weakness.

Is there any other advice you can offer to our Reaper friend?

Oh boy.

Ok I confess, hitting 27k damage on a MBS is indeed bullshit. Even tough I find a D/P + Rifle setup more of a "clutch" than being effective, after all a person that actually dies to MBS would prolly eat a DJ either way, from a safer position at range.

That said:

• Keep you back to a wall or NPC to negate the bonus damage. Nota garanted, but its a decent last measure as it make harder for the Theif.
  • Leave Line of Sight. Its a freakin Keep you can just enter a freaking door and wait the Mark to disappear. The thief DOESN'T have free movement inside a keep.
  • If Inner, get to Lord Room.
  • Have someone close to you lift you up on downed. No wait. In fact. Have the person "marked" hide while the rest actually hunt the DE.
  • As long you have Shroud available, the trait "Unholy Sanctuary" make you night impossible to be OHKO.
  • Just run away? Pure stealth DE has terrible access to swiftness and movement skills. Plus the whole "kneeling" to refresh stealth make DE slow in general.
  • Why. Are. You. Even. Wasting. Time. Hunting. A Thief. Inside. A Captured. Keep? I mean.... for christ sake, at least play to win your current game mode. I would understand the frustration of getting MBS while defending a point in Conquest as that would give advantage to the Thiefs team. But why waste time against such a clutch build thief in a already captured paper-wall keep?

Lastly, remenber that you can change builds outside battle. Changing traits and builds in the middle of WvW is a must to adapt to situation.Quickly swapping to a build that holds advantage against thiefs would really improve your rate of success in a re encounter. This always have and forever will have problems with Terrormancers for example, even if the build is no longer meta.

@"SoulSin.5682" said:That said:

• Keep you back to a wall or NPC to negate the bonus damage. Nota garanted, but its a decent last measure as it make harder for the Theif.when he tries to keep his back to a wall i can shoot him in the face out of his range, then he has to come closer and as soon as i am in his range, i can teleport behind him.
  • Leave Line of Sight. Its a freakin Keep you can just enter a freaking door and wait the Mark to disappear. The thief DOESN'T have free movement inside a keep.inside the keep i can move as much as i want and just leaving the door is not enough as i can go on top of the door/wall and shoot from there.
  • If Inner, get to Lord Room.i killed in that very lordroom several of his mates, not sure what that is supposed to do.
  • Have someone close to you lift you up on downed. No wait. In fact. Have the person "marked" hide while the rest actually hunt the DE.that works if you assume the deadeye stupid. a good deadeye will in such a situation target the most dangerous opponent and if there are 2 or more too dangerous ones too close to each other he will wait for a better moment.
  • As long you have Shroud available, the trait "Unholy Sanctuary" make you night impossible to be OHKO.he would have to give up an entire traitline wich makes him even less of a threat, great advise!
  • Just run away? Pure stealth DE has terrible access to swiftness and movement skills. Plus the whole "kneeling" to refresh stealth make DE slow in general.while that is a valid tactic to survive, i was in his t3 keep if everyone just runs away because i am inside i can just flip it.
  • Why. Are. You. Even. Wasting. Time. Hunting. A Thief. Inside. A Captured. Keep? I mean.... for christ sake, at least play to win your current game mode. I would understand the frustration of getting MBS while defending a point in Conquest as that would give advantage to the Thiefs team. But why waste time against such a clutch build thief in a already captured paper-wall keep?

it was a t3 keep already hold for ~15 hours, my zerg went in and wiped so i remained inside. nothing paper there.

Lastly, remenber that you can change builds outside battle. Changing traits and builds in the middle of WvW is a must to adapt to situation.Quickly swapping to a build that holds advantage against thiefs would really improve your rate of success in a re encounter. This always have and forever will have problems with Terrormancers for example, even if the build is no longer meta.there is no necro build with a half decent rate of success against a deadeye in 1 on 1 combat. only in very limited space when i ontop have to stay visible necro has a chance. or ofc if i as the thief fail.

if i miss MBS you cannot punish me for that, because i remain stealthed and you probably dont even notice. when i fail DJ, this can already be my death against a good opponent with a build able to quickly burst a target that appears on range. that + uninterruptable stealth access are the main reasons why the rework was a massive buff for a oneshot deadeye, but hey we no longer just mark and oneshot within 20 seconds thats what people complained about most. now you need to remark wich can be avoided or need to attack, but as tradeoff our attacking is alot safer now and our oneshot is nearly impossible to avoid apart from running away.

@MUDse.7623 said:

• Keep you back to a wall or NPC to negate the bonus damage. Nota garanted, but its a decent last measure as it make harder for the Theif.when he tries to keep his back to a wall i can shoot him in the face out of his range, then he has to come closer and as soon as i am in his range, i can teleport behind him.
  • Leave Line of Sight. Its a freakin Keep you can just enter a freaking door and wait the Mark to disappear. The thief DOESN'T have free movement inside a keep.inside the keep i can move as much as i want and just leaving the door is not enough as i can go on top of the door/wall and shoot from there.
  • If Inner, get to Lord Room.i killed in that very lordroom several of his mates, not sure what that is supposed to do.
  • Have someone close to you lift you up on downed. No wait. In fact. Have the person "marked" hide while the rest actually hunt the DE.that works if you assume the deadeye stupid. a good deadeye will in such a situation target the most dangerous opponent and if there are 2 or more too dangerous ones too close to each other he will wait for a better moment.
  • As long you have Shroud available, the trait "Unholy Sanctuary" make you night impossible to be OHKO.he would have to give up an entire traitline wich makes him even less of a threat, great advise!
  • Just run away? Pure stealth DE has terrible access to swiftness and movement skills. Plus the whole "kneeling" to refresh stealth make DE slow in general.while that is a valid tactic to survive, i was in his t3 keep if everyone just runs away because i am inside i can just flip it.

it was a t3 keep already hold for ~15 hours, my zerg went in and wiped so i remained inside. nothing paper there.

Lastly, remenber that you can change builds outside battle. Changing traits and builds in the middle of WvW is a must to adapt to situation.Quickly swapping to a build that holds advantage against thiefs would really improve your rate of success in a re encounter. This always have and forever will have problems with Terrormancers for example, even if the build is no longer meta.there is no necro build with a half decent rate of success against a deadeye in 1 on 1 combat. only in very limited space when i ontop have to stay visible necro has a chance. or ofc if i as the thief fail.

if i miss MBS you cannot punish me for that, because i remain stealthed and you probably dont even notice. when i fail DJ, this can already be my death against a good opponent with a build able to quickly burst a target that appears on range. that + uninterruptable stealth access are the main reasons why the rework was a massive buff for a oneshot deadeye, but hey we no longer just mark and oneshot within 20 seconds thats what people complained about most. now you need to remark wich can be avoided or need to attack, but as tradeoff our attacking is alot safer now and our oneshot is nearly impossible to avoid apart from running away.

Just to add as far as "lack of swiftness" goes. DE Thief traited SA with all of that stealth will have a faster foot speed then people running swiftness via hidden thief. Added to that there swiftness gained as cripple applied via Rifle 2. The KNEEL is becoming second nature wherein it really does not slow you down that much if in pursuit of a fleeing foe and you use dodge forward. There actually a bigger delay getting the DJ off as unlike skirmishers and trb you have to stay in place when making the shot.

@babazhook.6805 said:

Just to add as far as "lack of swiftness" goes. DE Thief traited SA with all of that stealth will have a faster foot speed then people running swiftness via hidden thief. Added to that there swiftness gained as cripple applied via Rifle 2. The KNEEL is becoming second nature wherein it really does not slow you down that much if in pursuit of a fleeing foe and you use dodge forward. There actually a bigger delay getting the DJ off as unlike skirmishers and trb you have to stay in place when making the shot.

yes DE is still more mobile then a nekro :D

• 1 month later...

Speaking from an instanced PvE perspective the only changes Dagger/Dagger Deadeye needs are:

• Either increase Malice bonus damage scaling from 10% per Malice to 15% for Malicious Attacks OR increase Iron Sight to 20% from 10% (I prefer the former option but really any boost to single target and burst)
  • Make Fire for Effect grant 10 Might for 18 seconds - non-druid Might share option for different healing comps.

Those two changes give Thief a support option and put Deadeye into a good position as strong single target damage with little cleave.

I have my fingers crossed but I am tempering my hopes after how bad the last balance patch was for Deadeye in general.

Some weapon skills like unload could use a ~40% damage buff. Furthermore, deadeye's mark should work like a special "debuff" for the opponent instead of a buff for the player essentially aplying the effects of iron sight to the enemy if it's a playes current target in addition to some lifesteal based on X% of damage dealt to give deadeye some decent support options which thief (as a whole) seems to lack without compromising the actual gameplay of the class.

I may be the only person to whom it does this, but with the new stolen abilities changes, I do not get stealthed when using F2. Like at all.

Here is what happens (my computer doesn't have the power to record things while I'm playing):I mark, then use F2. the .25 cast time appears, but it immediately cha9ins my auto attacks without me getting revealed. Does this happen to anyone else?Nvm, I'm dumb. It works perfectly fine when I have full malice stacks.

No cast time on popping the DE stolen skills was one of the positive things going on and could actually be a deciding factor in a fight while not being overpowered, why add even a slight cast time to that? I'd rather leave those stolen skills with no cast time than tacking on another stealth that's not much needed.

And that's a stupid F U change to Binding Shadow. I feel like DE is being worked on by a dev who hates fighting DE's than a dev who actually plays one this round while the last round of changes was made by a dev who couldn't play DE and made it a Daredevil knock off.

Archived