Elementalist evolution epic fail

Tom Hsiao.9705

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I agree that the Elementalists base HP is quite low. I don't really get why an Elementalist gets 1,645 base health, a Mesmer 5,922 and a Necromancer 9,212 while they all are cloth armor spell casters. Now Eles have to invest in vitality quite a bit to get on equal level at HP, thereby losing attribute points to other stats.

Because they are built with different defensive strategies in mind. Necro has very high base health, and a second health bar, but ... is kind of lacking in terms of non-ailment mitigations. We can blind, cripple, etc, until the cows stumble to their death, but we don't have much stability, block, no evades on weapons, etc. (Prior to Scourge and barrier, at least. That changes the picture some.)

Elementalist ... has a few more of those active defenses, but less core health. Necro just has to facetank the baddie, you get to do smart things to stop it hurting you.

Now, it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, "have anet successfully balanced the defensive options vs health as they intended", but that right there is why. Your ele is not
expected
to try and get the same HP pool as the necro. (Heck, only warriors compete with necro on that front, and they also get some of that facetank goodness.)

Where are these defensive strategies?....For the last 6 years ele has been nothing more than a glorified healbot, water traitline and stack as much healing power as you can, other defensive options are nearly non existent, they have extremely stupid CD, low duration and effect to defend an ele not heavenly invested into healing power

Well since other prof can prot on demand and have access to most of the ele level boons or great while need 0 healing power to mimic a 350 to 700 healing power from an ele. The can out dps, heal and tank an ele. Ele is limited to close range fights lack of fluid and mobilty. Try core ele it's not viable vs POF metas let alone update core or HOT on going metas in wvwLOL ele can't even heal bot go play scourge.

ANET made sure the weaver has enough survivability with its trait lines, utilities, and dual skill synergies. Have you seen Cellofrag's WvW outnumbered vids? In the hands of the right player, the weaver is almost unkillable with the ability to sustain damage.

Also try playing S/D Condi Weaver. It's a hidden gem.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I agree that the Elementalists base HP is quite low. I don't really get why an Elementalist gets 1,645 base health, a Mesmer 5,922 and a Necromancer 9,212 while they all are cloth armor spell casters. Now Eles have to invest in vitality quite a bit to get on equal level at HP, thereby losing attribute points to other stats.

Because they are built with different defensive strategies in mind. Necro has very high base health, and a second health bar, but ... is kind of lacking in terms of non-ailment mitigations. We can blind, cripple, etc, until the cows stumble to their death, but we don't have much stability, block, no evades on weapons, etc. (Prior to Scourge and barrier, at least. That changes the picture some.)

Elementalist ... has a few more of those active defenses, but less core health. Necro just has to facetank the baddie, you get to do smart things to stop it hurting you.

Now, it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, "have anet successfully balanced the defensive options vs health as they intended", but that right there is why. Your ele is not
expected
to try and get the same HP pool as the necro. (Heck, only warriors compete with necro on that front, and they also get some of that facetank goodness.)

All Elementalists active defenses last very shortly so the damage will just kill you after they ran out. And you have to sacrifice offensive skills for them, lowering your DPS. This is why I run Scepter/Dagger instead of the more defensive Scepter/Focus. And in my opinion the defensive/healing traits of Earth magic and Water magic are not strong enough to compensate for the very low base health.

@"DragonSlayer.1087" said:ANET made sure the weaver has enough survivability with its trait lines, utilities, and dual skill synergies. Have you seen Cellofrag's WvW outnumbered vids? In the hands of the right player, the weaver is almost unkillable with the ability to sustain damage.

In WvW, a sword weaver is basically the same in being "unkillable" as a mesmer/spellbreaker except the latter 2 takes way less skill to be "unkillable" and dish out more damage than weaver's "unkillable" build. (I put "unkillable" in quotes because it's actually killable if people actually learn to hit weavers in between their dodges, and if you're talking about just running away to reset the hp & fight all day, the latter 2 classes can do it easier).

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:ANET made sure the weaver has enough survivability with its trait lines, utilities, and dual skill synergies. Have you seen Cellofrag's WvW outnumbered vids? In the hands of the right player, the weaver is almost unkillable with the ability to sustain damage.

I assume you missed what I wrote... only viable build is melee with sword in PvP content and I’m sure many people didn’t pick a elementalist to be some kind of melee class. If only they can make range also viable not only some melee build. Yes I have seen cellofrag video he use a sword and as I have mentioned earlier ele should be able to fight people with other range weapon and shouldn’t be tied to use a melee sword!!!! If other cloth wearing classes (I.e. mirage and scourge) can do it why on earth weaver can’t? How come weaver MUST be tied to a melee sword to really make the build survivable. ANet clearly didn’t put much thought into it when they made this class because it is not versatile at all. It’s such a shame. And BTW S/D is not hidden gem when it’s the only meta build for pvp lol.

@BadSanta.6527 said:Well mate sword for ele is something that was asked by the community long ago and you know what it is good to have another play style . If you don’t like it you can stay with staff

Ya sadly it became the ONLY viable play style for pvp or wvw it’s not like it added another play style. It would be nice to make OTHER play style viable. You think staff ele stand a chance pvp or wvw 1 on 1? And AGAIN only way you can run a staff in PvP or wvw is if you’re with a bunch of people. Why? Because it is clearly lacks survivability so you can only pray nobody targets you while you try to throw some damage with your little staff there.

Let me give you an example. You see mirage’s weapon is an axe but they clearly don’t need to use an axe to excel mirage {and axe mirage is not even META) and scourge doesn’t need to use torch to excel either. However as weaver if you don’t use a sword you can’t really perform in 1 vs 1. So are you still in denial? Or you’re one of those people who wants to make sure ele sucks so you can get that free kill when you see one?

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:ANET made sure the weaver has enough survivability with its trait lines, utilities, and dual skill synergies. Have you seen Cellofrag's WvW outnumbered vids? In the hands of the right player, the weaver is almost unkillable with the ability to sustain damage.

I assume you missed what I wrote... only viable build is melee with sword in PvP content and I’m sure many people didn’t pick a elementalist to be some kind of melee class. If only they can make range also viable not only some melee build. Yes I have seen cellofrag video he use a sword and as I have mentioned earlier ele should be able to fight people with other range weapon and shouldn’t be tied to use a melee sword!!!! If other cloth wearing classes (I.e. mirage and scourge) can do it why on earth weaver can’t? How come weaver MUST be tied to a melee sword to really make the build survivable. ANet clearly didn’t put much thought into it when they made this class because it is not versatile at all. It’s such a shame. And BTW S/D is not hidden gem when it’s the only meta build for pvp lol.

@BadSanta.6527 said:Well mate sword for ele is something that was asked by the community long ago and you know what it is good to have another play style . If you don’t like it you can stay with staff

Ya sadly it became the ONLY viable play style for pvp or wvw it’s not like it added another play style. It would be nice to make OTHER play style viable. You think staff ele stand a chance pvp or wvw 1 on 1? And AGAIN only way you can run a staff in PvP or wvw is if you’re with a bunch of people. Why? Because it is clearly lacks survivability so you can only pray nobody targets you while you try to throw some damage with your little staff there.

Let me give you an example. You see mirage’s weapon is an axe but they clearly don’t need to use an axe to excel mirage {and axe mirage is not even META) and scourge doesn’t need to use torch to excel either. However as weaver if you don’t use a sword you can’t really perform in 1 vs 1. So are you still in denial? Or you’re one of those people who wants to make sure ele sucks so you can get that free kill when you see one?

I know ele staff pvp is not viable, but to be honest you can’t comper any class with Mesmer since it is very op and never going or even intend to be balance. But if you look at the rest of the class you will see that ele if fine. Yeah it is hard and unforgiving profession but has good dps again don’t comper to Mesmer anything

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

I'm not sure what you want them to do lol? Make them a long range tank? haha

@BadSanta.6527 said:

I know ele staff pvp is not viable, but to be honest you can’t comper any class with Mesmer since it is very op and never going or even intend to be balance. But if you look at the rest of the class you will see that ele if fine. Yeah it is hard and unforgiving profession but has good dps again don’t comper to Mesmer anything

So if you knew staff is not viable why even recommend it?I’m not sure if you read my whole message but I also compared scourge to elementalist since I only play light armor class so I’m gonna just address to those classes.My point is elementalist seem to fall short compare to the others. So are you gonna tell me scourge is also op too and I can’t compare it? If so then it is clear elementalist is under power and needs rework.I mean there are other OP class such as deadeye super mobile and nearly permanent stealth and lethal range attack. So you still think elementalist is fine or you’re just arguing for the aake of arguing...? :/

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:

Why on earth would elementalist be a tank with least amount of HP? How about real burst since it lacks mobility it should have way more burst to finish someone in a combo. Because right now it’s high risk and no reward. Anything ele can do everyone else does it better.But if they can’t come up with something decent I’d take long range tank than whatever they got going on now.

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:

It seems pretty clear to me what they want along with many others that have expressed displeasure in this thread and others. They want a viable, well rounded, offensive ranged build that focuses on pressure and does not overpay for it with a lack of functional defense. Staff lacks defense and sufficient pressure to make up for it, Fresh Air Weaver lacks enough defense/disengage, and core Fresh Air lacks "je ne sais quoi" to warrant bringing it over other options (boon strip, personal and/or team mobility, etc.).

Why on earth would elementalist be a tank with least amount of HP? How about real burst since it lacks mobility it should have way more burst to finish someone in a combo. Because right now it’s high risk and no reward. Anything ele can do everyone else does it better. But if they can’t come up with something decent I’d take long range tank than whatever they got going on now.

That I agree with. The Air Magic Line for Staff should be reworked to be able to do more single target bursts.

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@"sokeenoppa.5384" said:Who said ele has to be squishy, i bet that you cant take My bunker cele ele down :D

even on bunker build , ele is super squishy. Just try to take a HOLO prime beam in the face and watch how long you'll survive ... happened dozens of times to me (super random lucky timing through evades) and I survived like for 1.5 sec after being hit.

SO even to most efficient pvp build doesn't survive at all if being hit... it just "evades"

That's true for all professions thought and it's not like the elementalist don't have
mist form
and
obsidian flesh
to deal with such skills.
  • mist form : " utility skill never seen in a spvp build since 2014 or 2015"
  • Obsidian flesh :" focus earth 5 skill non used since it got nerfed to 2 sec duration and better support classes come out. Rely on dagger main hand to be effective which is the worse weapon for an elementalist at the moment"

Dictionnary_2018

Doesn't mean that the elementalist don't have access to it and that they don't allow him to take on Holo's beam. Maybe just maybe, if players stopped complaining about paper not being able to whistand scissor and started to use rock against scissor, there would be less complaints.

It's a game where you got choices to do for your build not a game where you are forced to play a single build. It's a shame to see that 2 answers to a perfectly counter something which is seen as an issue are brushed because it's something of the past or players don't use it because the "meta build" rely on another weapon.

I woud like you to focus on what "META" means ... cause it has an important signification.META = most efficient tactic available.

Which means (sorry if you don't get my point im not english main) that a meta build is a build that works the best in the current game situation. If ppl don't take that or that skill , it's just cause it 's less efficient overall. So why would they pick a skill that counter (which is a big word) only ONE skill from an entire class? Not worth ... or not meta if you want.

Let me just say that the primal beam example was just here to illustrate that ele is just a low hp pool light class still ... even with defensive options. To get back to eles here. It has better options than those 2 skills ... and taking a specific weapon just for one skill (epsecially on ele) isn't realistic.

It has more powerfull "defensives skills" which were introduce with weaver spec ... and all of these are evade.... that's what i meant with my previous post.

Thats not what meta means.... but I knew what you meant. But the problem here is that Meta is more theoretical then practical...... and frankly, 95% of the player base is not capable of achieving Meta performance because its unable deviate from what it demands as a condition (ie perfect rotations). So there is a substantial loss in performance if they can't meet the minimum requirements, which forces the meta to account for this if its actually interested in viability. But by doing so, its also damaging its upper limit.... so we're stuck in this catch 22 of either being concise (as in defining all possible variations) or being optimal.

So the ultimate irony here is that the meta still demands players "git gud", when the meta advertises itself as being the the solution to "gitting gud".

Already have dagger, a far better weapon that only gets screwed by weaver's absolutely terrible spec mechanic downgrade. Sword is just a worse dagger but with all it's good skills on slot 2, since anything on slots 3 to 5 is only useful as filler on weaver.

Also, I never asked for sword. I was irritated when leaks suggested it might happen in HoT and every reason I had for not wanting it came true when it was actually added in PoF. It's just another example of ele devs not being able to design ele right.

@Coldtart.4785 said:

Already have dagger, a far better weapon that only gets screwed by weaver's absolutely terrible spec mechanic downgrade. Sword is just a worse dagger but with all it's good skills on slot 2, since anything on slots 3 to 5 is only useful as filler on weaver.

Also, I never asked for sword. I was irritated when leaks suggested it might happen in HoT and every reason I had for not wanting it came true when it was actually added in PoF. It's just another example of ele devs not being able to design ele right.

Thank you!! I wouldn’t mind the sword if it was 1200 or 900 range...but 140 is bs! Perhaps he was “the community” asking for it long ago. :s

You know what I was thinking? The next elementalist specialization should get a rifle. A 1500 range rifle would allow the ranged caster to graduate into a ranged sniper. I know, there is a flaw in this plan: Anet fears the rifle. Their balance team has ensured that all rifle builds get nerfed when they start to get on par with other weapons.

But what about shooting fire beams out of a barrel, ice barrages, earthshaking salvos, lighning fast, or magnetic, or sparking shots. Give the elementalist a rifle and dear design team, give the rifle a chance.

@Castigator.3470 said:You know what I was thinking? The next elementalist specialization should get a rifle. A 1500 range rifle would allow the ranged caster to graduate into a ranged sniper. I know, there is a flaw in this plan: Anet fears the rifle. Their balance team has ensured that all rifle builds get nerfed when they start to get on par with other weapons.

But what about shooting fire beams out of a barrel, ice barrages, earthshaking salvos, lighning fast, or magnetic, or sparking shots. Give the elementalist a rifle and dear design team, give the rifle a chance.

Well the 1500 range is a fabulous idea but I think rifle doesn't feel that magical to be honest... perhaps great sword with 1500 range??? I mean if mesmer and necro can use it elemenetalist should also be able to use it!! B)

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@"Castigator.3470" said:You know what I was thinking? The next elementalist specialization should get a rifle. A 1500 range rifle would allow the ranged caster to graduate into a ranged sniper. I know, there is a flaw in this plan: Anet fears the rifle. Their balance team has ensured that all rifle builds get nerfed when they start to get on par with other weapons.

Well the 1500 range is a fabulous idea but I think rifle doesn't feel that magical to be honest... perhaps great sword with 1500 range??? I mean if mesmer and necro can use it elemenetalist should also be able to use it!! B)

Weaver is close to a mages class but its still to much physical dmg with magic skins. What ele needs an a magical elite spec would be a focies main hand with well utility. A true siege mages with both condi, unblockable and boon control (the closest thing to magic in gw2). In a lot of ways ranger thfs even wars are more mage like then ele has ever been and ele is more "non magic" like then all of the classes in gw2. You could make the argument that if you simply reskins all the looks of ele skills and atuments you could make a real good ranger class or warlord class.

I think it comes down to this simple fact if you take the same gear build for the other classes how much better or worst will that class be then ele. Ele must run full glass to be viable or full healing where other classes can go cele on part of there gear and still be viable. You simply cant do that on ele any more even the melee ele cant realty pull it off well any more. That is why ele evolution has been such an fail of balancing and anet.

• 4 weeks later...

@Jski.6180 said:

@"Castigator.3470" said:You know what I was thinking? The next elementalist specialization should get a rifle. A 1500 range rifle would allow the ranged caster to graduate into a ranged sniper. I know, there is a flaw in this plan: Anet fears the rifle. Their balance team has ensured that all rifle builds get nerfed when they start to get on par with other weapons.

Weaver is close to a mages class but its still to much physical dmg with magic skins. What ele needs an a magical elite spec would be a focies main hand with well utility. A true siege mages with both condi, unblockable and boon control (the closest thing to magic in gw2). In a lot of ways ranger thfs even wars are more mage like then ele has ever been and ele is more "non magic" like then all of the classes in gw2. You could make the argument that if you simply reskins all the looks of ele skills and atuments you could make a real good ranger class or warlord class.

I think it comes down to this simple fact if you take the same gear build for the other classes how much better or worst will that class be then ele. Ele must run full glass to be viable or full healing where other classes can go cele on part of there gear and still be viable. You simply cant do that on ele any more even the melee ele cant realty pull it off well any more. That is why ele evolution has been such an fail of balancing and anet.

I think they should also allow ele to switch weapons not just attainments because many of ele skills are quite useless might as well let them use 2 sets of weapon to make up for their short comings..

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

I think they should also allow ele to switch weapons not just attainments because many of ele skills are quite useless might as well let them use 2 sets of weapon to make up for their short comings..

I do too but anet has made a real bad go at making each wepon a full usable skill kit at all points of the game both melee and ranged. At least with other classes they have the ability to have a melee wepon and a ranged wepon ele cant do that its melee or ranged but not both. As well as the low effect unless you go all in on the type you need a lot of healing power to make heals worth it you need a lot of power to land good dmg and condi a joke on the class over all.

Archived