Deathly Chill

Aktium.9506

I'm thinking thoughts about things

What if they reverted Deathly Chill back into a condition and made it stack in intensity but had its damage scale from Power instead of from Condition Damage?

I miss Chill being a damaging condition on Reaper.

@Aktium.9506 said:What if they reverted Deathly Chill back into a condition and made it stack in intensity but had its damage scale from Power instead of from Condition Damage?I miss Chill being a damaging condition on Reaper.

Why not just throw on grieving gear, and have that support the condition that it inflicts? It won't be as powerful as full condition gear, but it won't be negligible. I'd certainly be happy to see the trait tuned with that in mind?

@Aktium.9506 said:I'm thinking thoughts about things

What if they reverted Deathly Chill back into a condition and made it stack in intensity but had its damage scale from Power instead of from Condition Damage?

A pretty common suggestion when they announced Scourge would be a condi spec. As someone that only likes reaper for camping greatsword, I'd be happy to have this change.

@Aktium.9506 said:I'm thinking thoughts about things

That would be nice.

DC could also become a shareable AoE buff, or aura, that provides ferocity within a radius. Necro does not need a condi option on Reaper with Scourge available.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Aktium.9506 said:What if they reverted Deathly Chill back into a condition and made it stack in intensity but had its damage scale from Power instead of from Condition Damage?I miss Chill being a damaging condition on Reaper.

Why not just throw on grieving gear, and have that support the condition that it inflicts? It won't be as powerful as full condition gear, but it won't be negligible. I'd certainly be happy to see the trait tuned with that in mind?

Hell, I don't even think it's worth it on Grieving reaper; Dhuumfire and Soul Spiral are enough condi pressure, and the resets and ferocity gains from Onslaught contribute plenty, also speeding up Dhuumfire procs with the faster AA and SSpiral from the cooldown resets. The capacity to stack bleeds via DC is pretty low for the most part, anyways.

The trait should really just be changed entirely unless they want to do something like the chill DoT it originally had but allow it to be stacked.

Even still, there'd need to be better and more consistent access to chill in RShroud than just pressing 5->4 and stacking it to oblivion and then running around doing nothing for the next half minute.

Let's be realist, If that somehow happen, there would be people saying that it's still a condition (since it's attached to chill) and that they need expertise to increase it's length which would make it a pretty bad "power condition" (The thread on dread is a perfect example of how players would see this new deathly chill). Beside, as a "DoT" anet would make sure it wouldn't crit and it would just end up being a very poor addition in the game.

The only thing that this would do is to reduce the effectiveness and build diversity of the reaper as a whole. It would be better to make reaper onslaught a reliable power trait instead of mindlessly destroying deathly chill.

Then maybe make it 200 dmg when applying chill (scaling with power up to 500 at 2.5k power)? Well that wouldn't help pve situation but for PvP it might be pretty interesting.

As for pve endgame reaper needs something more. Like weaver trait, that gives +% dmg while having swiftness. Or just better numbers on weapons.

For awaken the pain (spite traitline) they should have just made the same thing as warrior has as passive trait.So make might give you 10 more power per stack but don't loose condition dmg.

Personally I would rather have it changed to work with the middle row of traits better which are focused on not only chill but also gaining something for striking a foe under chill. I would make it something to be scared off once you realize that a reaper is using it. I like the first itteration of deathly chill and hate it as it is now. But going back to that version for power wont make much sense. This is what I would do

Deathly chillDeal damage when you apply chillSteal boons from foes you strike inflicted with chill.Striking a foe with no boons causes you to deal an extra strike instead. 1/4 second icd. (for pve)

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Let's be realist, If that somehow happen, there would be people saying that it's still a condition (since it's attached to chill) and that they need expertise to increase it's length which would make it a pretty bad "power condition"

DoT damage scales from both of the condition damage, and expertise, stats. You don't actually need to stack expertise, it just helps increase the damage, and starting from a zero cap, is usually a better investment than the higher starting cap on raw condition damage. So, sure, desirable? Absolutely. Necessary to make conditions work? No.

You are right, though, that people would say it was necessary to have that expertise, because people are like that. :)

I think the trait has so much potential as a grandmaster for the reaper concept. Its a waste to have this trait just as a "more damage" trait like it currently is. We have Reaper's Onslaught for this. What if that trait interacted with chill in a different way? Just some brainstorming ideas:

1. Chilling a foe causes "Deathly Chill" on them. ICD per target. Deathly Chill could have one of the following effects:
  • freezes all current cooldowns completly for 3 seconds
  • the next [mobility skill] (dodge / leap / shadowstep) fails, the target takes damage and gets knocked down
  • boons have no effect on the target for the next 3 seconds
  • for 3 seconds your greatsword skills interrupt your foe
  • for 3 seconds your target cant recover health by any means
  • your target cant use utility or heal or elite skills for 3 seconds
  1. Chilling a foe interrupts (or dazes) it

2. Chilling a foe immobilizes it

@"Brujeria.7536" said:I think the trait has so much potential as a grandmaster for the reaper concept. Its a waste to have this trait just as a "more damage"What if it also added special effects with stack thresholds similar to Exceed skills and Heat on Holosmith to Greatsword skills?

While it was nice to have chill as a damaging condition, it was good they reverted that design decision. It makes little sense to have some exceptional effect for a established condition for one class. They would be better off making a completely new condition for Deathly Chill for some unique effect.

I don't mind the bleed but it is rather boring ... hey, here is more damage. I think they could have done better.

Why should it be oriented toward damage?Deathly chill : Entering shroud grant frost aura for 4 seconds. Reduce condition damage taken by 10% while under the effects of an aura.

This could make the reaper's chill uptime more reliable in combat and thus increase the value of quite a few traits. This would also define 3 different axis for the grandmaster traits: sustain (Bligther boon), defense (deathly chill) and offense (Reaper's onslaught).

@Anchoku.8142 said:That would be nice.

FTFY. :tongue:

Personally, my favorite take on this would be to mess with how people get away from a melee necro:

Deathly ChillIf Chill on an enemy is removed either naturally or via cleansing, and you added to that Chill, it turns into Deathly Chill, which slows movement speed by 66% for 3 seconds. This effect is not a condition and hence cannot be cured, but movement speed reduction immunity or mitigation works.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Why should it be oriented toward damage?Deathly chill : Entering shroud grant frost aura for 4 seconds. Reduce condition damage taken by 10% while under the effects of an aura.

This could make the reaper's chill uptime more reliable in combat and thus increase the value of quite a few traits. This would also define 3 different axis for the grandmaster traits: sustain (Bligther boon), defense (deathly chill) and offense (Reaper's onslaught).

I like that idea, we aldeady have reaper's onslaught for our offensive trait on that line anyway, we need a defensive one.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Why should it be oriented toward damage?Deathly chill : Entering shroud grant frost aura for 4 seconds. Reduce condition damage taken by 10% while under the effects of an aura.

I'd be happy for that to happen if they gave us a damage trait that works both in and out of shroud instead of just in.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Why should it be oriented toward damage?
Deathly chill
: Entering shroud grant frost aura for 4 seconds. Reduce condition damage taken by 10% while under the effects of an aura.

I'd be happy for that to happen if they gave us a damage trait that works both in and out of shroud instead of just in.

reaper's onslaught could be reworked to extend its effects outside of shroud and be doubled while in shroud.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:I like that idea, we aldeady have reaper's onslaught for our offensive trait on that line anyway, we need a defensive one.That's supposed to be Blighter's Boon though.

more of a utility trait than a defensive one, wouldn't you say?

Where is the utility though? All it does is heal you? And sustain is a defensive thing.

@Aktium.9506 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:I like that idea, we aldeady have reaper's onslaught for our offensive trait on that line anyway, we need a defensive one.That's supposed to be Blighter's Boon though.

more of a utility trait than a defensive one, wouldn't you say?

Where is the utility though? All it does is heal you? And sustain is a defensive thing.

True, but you need to generate boons for it to work thoughEditAdding to this, due to the limited ways you can apply boons to yourself in shroud, and the very limited time you have in shroud, I more often use this as a way to quickly regain lf out of shroud than as a healing trait in shroud

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Why should it be oriented toward damage?
Deathly chill
: Entering shroud grant frost aura for 4 seconds. Reduce condition damage taken by 10% while under the effects of an aura.

reaper's onslaught could be reworked to extend its effects outside of shroud and be doubled while in shroud.

Someone suggested a while back that it should give you the ferocity bonus whenever you leave shroud for x number of seconds. Therefore when hitting foes below 50% health, it would still be beneficial to enter shroud rather than just spam gravedigger and aoes (which I've always seen as a horrible mechanic in terms of gameplay).

Archived