Jump to content
  • Sign Up

GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion


Recommended Posts

*Please keep the discussion focused to constructively discuss this topic. Focus on evidence and suggestions, not hate or assumptions. Ultimately we just want our game and community to be strong.

For those of you just coming into the discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8w3q4n/must_be_a_thrill_to_work_with_this_dev/


Both devs should know better than to respond in such a way despite where they post their responses. It's social media, 2018, and the last negative Anet needs to add to the list is a "Roseanne Twitter" moment.

Being a "professional" writer and working for a large company like Anet requires professionalism any time you are communicating with your game's fanbase in a public/open setting. It doesn't matter if it's in or out of the office. If you can be quoted with proof, you do not respond in a way that is damaging to your company and team unless you don't care for repercussion. These two devs may have let down their team at Anet, most of the playerbase, and those two GW 2 streamers who are a big part of our community.

Despite what they chose, GW continues on and I hope to see our game and our community progress, improve, and advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Path of fire from my brother for my upcoming birthday but after reading the reddit thread and her twitter feed I decided I will return it.I do not support sexism in any shape of forrm, be that against women, men or trans. Please take action anet, this is disgusting behaviour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

She's a part of team for like a year and seem to have big history on this subject, even before she got hired. While I think that it's not affecting her work at Anet, it's quite unprofessional to treat customers like this on social media.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are countless people who would cut off their left foot just to have the job JP has. And this is how she uses her privileged position within the industry. Abusing fans of the game she works on. It's not okay. She doesn't deserve to work at Arenanet. She ought to be fired, but if not then she should at least be prohibited from talking to the community in public. She clearly isn't mature enough to handle public relations. Anet really messed up hiring her without checking her social media history.

This couldn't have come at a worse time either. The game is suffering from a lackluster content release right on the heels of a large wave of Bless refugees. How do you think this looks to new players coming in? They see a half-finished map and devs creating drama on twitter. It's embarrassing. This is a stain on the company as whole that will take a long time to wash out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think work is sacred, and the internet is a steaming pile of kitten.So no, I don't think even the most antipathetic person should lose their job because stupid internet comments.Other kinds of justice, maybe. To be honest, all our culture of guilt and punishment is tiring and ineffective to change human behavior.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Ardid.7203" said:I think work is sacred, and the internet is a steaming pile of kitten.So no, I don't think even the most antipathetic person should lose their job because stupid internet comments.Other kinds of justice, maybe. To be honest, all our culture of guilt and punishment is tiring and ineffective to change human behavior.

I would have agreed with you 5 or so years ago. Unfortunately, this is what "progress" looks like. I think people need to learn to take responsibility for their behavior before we can start healing as a culture. We can't have a functional society in which the default position is to be hostile and rude to each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Rumba.3174" said:I genuinely think she should be suspended, if not fired. This behavior should not be accepted by any means.The guy is the most chill guy on Twitch I’ve ever seen, much support To him!

I don't. To me she comes across as young and abrasive. That happens, a lot, with young professionals; they get into an environment, feel overwhelmed by suddenly feeling like their opinions aren't being taken as seriously by the more experienced workers around them, and try to compensate with hard line demands and attacks, thinking that "power" and "authority" come from being combative.

This isn't a new thing, it's not a gender thing and it's not a permanent thing. I say this because, once upon a time, I was just as combative. As I've gotten older and more experienced, I've learned how toxic that is, and understand now that I was only making things worse because of perceived slights.

IMO, I feel that she needs guidance. I feel that Arenanet needs to apologize for two of their employees treating some of their most dedicated fans the way they were treated. I feel that Arenanet needs to either create or fill in the gaps in their social media policy and educate their employees on that policy.

This feels like a young person who thinks that portraying themselves as representing a company, but then saying "But it's my private feed", somehow negates the consequences of acting poorly while being a representative. Rather than destroy her life, and career, she should be assisted in getting back onto a good track and using this as a learning experience to help her slingshot her career forward, without needing to rely on baseless and inflammatory accusations to feel empowered.

This could be a great life lesson for her, which she could impart on future employees down the road. I see no reason why she should be thrown to the wayside for a mistake.

Anet, however, will deserve some serious ire if they say nothing about this; and I'm really disappointed in Peter Fries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tolmos.8395 said:

@"Rumba.3174" said:I genuinely think she should be suspended, if not fired. This behavior should not be accepted by any means.The guy is the
most chill guy on Twitch
I’ve ever seen, much support To him!

I don't. To me she comes across as young and abrasive. That happens, a lot, with young professionals; they get into an environment, feel overwhelmed by suddenly feeling like their opinions aren't being taken as seriously by the more experienced workers around them, and try to compensate with hard line demands and attacks, thinking that "power" and "authority" come from being combative.

This isn't a new thing, it's not a gender thing and it's not a permanent thing. I say this because, once upon a time, I was just as combative. As I've gotten older and more experienced, I've learned how toxic that is, and understand now that I was only making things worse because of perceived slights.

IMO, I feel that she needs guidance. I feel that Arenanet needs to apologize for two of their employees treating some of their most dedicated fans the way they were treated. I feel that Arenanet needs to either create or fill in the gaps in their social media policy and educate their employees on that policy.

This feels like a young person who thinks that portraying themselves as a representing a company, but then saying "But it's my private feed", somehow negates the consequences of acting poorly while being a representative. Rather than destroy her life, and career, she should be assisted in getting back onto a good track and using this as a learning experience to help her slingshot her career forward, without needing to rely on baseless and inflammatory accusations to feel empowered.

This could be a great life lesson for her, which she could impart on future employees down the road. I see no reason why she should be thrown to the wayside for a mistake.

Anet, however, will deserve some serious ire if they say nothing about this; and I'm really disappointed in Peter Fries.

Go to her twitter and you se this is not a first time thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rumba.3174 said:

@Rumba.3174 said:I genuinely think she should be suspended, if not fired. This behavior should not be accepted by any means.The guy is the
most chill guy on Twitch
I’ve ever seen, much support To him!

I don't. To me she comes across as young and abrasive. That happens, a lot, with young professionals; they get into an environment, feel overwhelmed by suddenly feeling like their opinions aren't being taken as seriously by the more experienced workers around them, and try to compensate with hard line demands and attacks, thinking that "power" and "authority" come from being combative.

This isn't a new thing, it's not a gender thing and it's not a permanent thing. I say this because, once upon a time, I was just as combative. As I've gotten older and more experienced, I've learned how toxic that is, and understand now that I was only making things worse because of perceived slights.

IMO, I feel that she needs guidance. I feel that Arenanet needs to apologize for two of their employees treating some of their most dedicated fans the way they were treated. I feel that Arenanet needs to either create or fill in the gaps in their social media policy and educate their employees on that policy.

This feels like a young person who thinks that portraying themselves as a representing a company, but then saying "But it's my private feed", somehow negates the consequences of acting poorly while being a representative. Rather than destroy her life, and career, she should be assisted in getting back onto a good track and using this as a learning experience to help her slingshot her career forward, without needing to rely on baseless and inflammatory accusations to feel empowered.

This could be a great life lesson for her, which she could impart on future employees down the road. I see no reason why she should be thrown to the wayside for a mistake.

Anet, however, will deserve some serious ire if they say nothing about this; and I'm really disappointed in Peter Fries.

Go to her twitter and you se this is not a first time thing.

I don't doubt that it is, but I don't think that really alters my response. If her reaction to any sort of disagreement is anger, or feeling victimized, or baselessly accusing the disagreeing party as being a victimizer, then she is not in for a healthy and happy career. People of every gender, nationality, creed and religion will learn to avoid dealing with that type of person as much as possible, and their career will be hindered by being "that person" in the office.

If she gets fired now over this, it won't help her. Really, it won't help anyone; that offers to gain no one anything. Instead, I would feel a LOT better about the situation if I knew that a more experienced member of her team was going to help her see the flaw in this sort of reaction and get her back on the path to success.

I have no doubt she's worked hard to get where she is, and it really isn't equitable that all that hard work should be thrown out the window because she is mistaken about her approach to dealing with other people. That's a learned trait, and it can be unlearned as well. As a society, we're better off doing that than just "throwing away" anyone who is mistaken in their way of thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hicci.8761 said:

@DijitalKiD.2154 said:Let's hope JP gets fired for blatant sexism towards fans! =)

No? Let's hope she keeps her job and becomes a better person as a result of this ordeal. Forcing her from Company A to Company B will just embitter her and perpetuate the behavior.

I would prefer if she was forced from company A to company none.

...that's incredibly unfeeling. People need a way to make money and this is her profession. As demonstrated in her AMA she knows what she's talking about and brings a valuable professional skillset to Anet, and if she can be respectful in the future then I see no reason why her employment should be jeopardized.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

@DijitalKiD.2154 said:Let's hope JP gets fired for blatant sexism towards fans! =)

No? Let's hope she keeps her job and becomes a better person as a result of this ordeal. Forcing her from Company A to Company B will just embitter her and perpetuate the behavior.

I would prefer if she was forced from company A to company none.

...that's incredibly unfeeling. People need a way to make money and this is her profession. As demonstrated in her AMA she knows what she's talking about and brings a valuable professional skillset to Anet, and if she can be respectful in the future then I see no reason why her employment should be jeopardized.

People at Anet need to get their act together and they need to get sh*t done ASAP!

With employees like JP I am no longer surprised by the blantant lack of content and their constant refusal of every constructive idea to get meaningful and replayable content and rewards into the game.

They went full Bioware, I don't need to tell you why this was not a good idea.

No more support from me for this sexist employee and the ones that hired and supported her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ArenaNet Staff

Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this update MO.It is always difficult to remove people from your company, but when you have an image to uphold, your employees are your ambassadors, your frontline, and they should treat people like they wish to be treated. As easy as it is to snapback to remarks they may have read thousands of times, or remarks they think aren't worthy of their attention, they should have had the integrity to let things roll of their shoulders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...