GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sad that Price had to be let go, but firing Peter Fries is shocking. An employee should never be punished for sticking up for a coworker when facing a backlash on social media -- even if said coworker is in the wrong. This'll have a horrible affect on your work environment in the long run.

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Whilst I understand your position with Jessica Price I think Peter fries being sacked is rather ridiculous. He didn't 'attack' anyone he merely supported Jessica Price and rather mildly at that.

Painful though it was, the right decision was made. Neither misandry nor misogyny should be tolerated, especially in full public view. I suspect that JP would not back down from her stance and that is wht got her fired. ANET are a compassionate company who i like to believe gave JP several options. This is of course just my opinion; JP is obviously talented or she wouldn't have been hired in the first place. Her reply to Deroir's post put ANET in a really awkward position; i'm glad to see that ANET didn't tolerate her very obvious and alienating sexism.

To the people who blindly jump to defend her/disagree with her firing:

I've been active all day, going as far as slacking at work, to follow and talk about this and I just want to let you know that I don't necessarily agree with the firing. Am I glad it happened? In a way yes. It sets a clear case that this behaviour is not good and will have consequences. Being a jerk happens in the heat of the moment, but that is not an excuse outside of first grade.

Am I in favor of witch hunt like campaigns? Nope. And there was none. The people who were actively going after her and attacking her were very few and far between compared to the people whom just hated the way she acted and treated respected members and voiced their disdain. No use just lumping both of those groups together as one and calling them entirely toxic. It's not a good look.

In the end those positions can be filled again. Is it going to be good? Time will tell. All we can say right now is that our voices as a community are heard and not ignored. We got together and voiced our opinions. There was no organized hate movement happening. This is humans judging another human based on their bad actions and lack of remorse.

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

That is the best news since the whole s-storm started. Congrats on this decision since I imagine it wasn't an easy one, nor was it something I believed you would do. You delivered and assured the majority of the community that their input matters.

Thanks a lot Mike, When I hear this news and looked at the post I was not sure what would happen to a game I really loved. The fact that racism and sexist is handled no matter what the source and based on facts not emotions. restored any temporal hope I had lost. I can not explain how relieved I am! Thanks a lot!

@Tasida.4085 said:

Mo

Can we now have all related threads closed now please. Although I disagree with the discipline PLEASE close all the the aggravating threads on this subject and let it fade into obscurity.

Yeah, let's allow the fact that people like this exist fade into obscurity.

@"Mike O Brien.4613" said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

Mo

In case they are reading, please understand that "personal" social media accounts are part of a public website, and these are not contradictory terms. These conversations were decidedly not private or discreet by any definition. This unfortunate incident and its fallout could have been avoided if they had understood that they are representatives of a company even if they don't intend to act in that capacity. The issue is not being on the clock, it's being on the record. If nothing else, civility exists to avoid giving detractors ammunition to use against you. I hold nothing against people having negative opinions about the community; I can barely stand half of it myself. I merely want to encourage them to exercise better judgment about where and how they share their personal thoughts in the future, wherever that may be. And I assume the remaining Anet staff has been given a refresher on how these things work, and hopefully forestall any more incidents of this nature.

@Mike O Brien.4613

Thank you for making the right decision. Been playing since GW1 (a bit over a decade or so now). I'm happy this behavior isn't tolerated at a company like arenanet & it made me feel gross knowing money I spent was being distributed to someone as mean spirited as this woman was.

@Blocki.4931 said:To the people who blindly jump to defend her/disagree with her firing:

I've been active all day, going as far as slacking at work, to follow and talk about this and I just want to let you know that I don't necessarily agree with the firing. Am I glad it happened? In a way yes. It sets a clear case that this behaviour is not good and will have consequences. Being a jerk happens in the heat of the moment, but that is not an excuse outside of first grade.

Am I in favor of witch hunt like campaigns? Nope. And there was none. The people who were actively going after her and attacking her were very few and far between compared to the people whom just hated the way she acted and treated respected members and voiced their disdain. No use just lumping both of those groups together as one and calling them entirely toxic. It's not a good look.

In the end those positions can be filled again. Is it going to be good? Time will tell. All we can say right now is that our voices as a community are heard and not ignored. We got together and voiced our opinions. There was no organized hate movement happening. This is humans judging another human based on their bad actions and lack of remorse.

I can't applaude this statement enough. A very accurate description of all that has been going on today. <3

I think this is actually quite simple. Employees should not fear expressing their opinion but MUST do so in a tactful manner. If you uphold yourself in a spiteful and imposing demeanor for months if not years on end, you provide a negative impression upon your company and put your own employment at risk. Some people simply must realize that this delusional mindset of "I am innocent because of minority status" is in many cases a scapegoat for denying one's own wrongdoings. Be an adult and own up to your actions and mistakes rather than posing as a tyrant on the internet.

Thank you for this, I had no expectations of this from you. I am going to be honest I expected a milquetoast PR response and was pleasantly surprised and glad to be wrong. This is the kind of strong and decisive leadership arenanet needs to succeed.

@FearTheOyster.5138 said:I'm sad that Price had to be let go, but firing Peter Fries is shocking. An employee should never be punished for sticking up for a coworker when facing a backlash on social media -- even if said coworker is in the wrong. This'll have a horrible affect on your work environment in the long run.

Sorta of agree, but fired for sticking up no. But should be held accountable and reprimanded yes. Then given a second chance.

@narcx.3570 said:I'm kinda bummed she got fired... I mean, she was in the wrong here, but so was that guy.

She should have been more professional yes, but it's still ANOTHER day where I have to see the men's rights activist crowd get a win. I live in America and I have to see this type of stuff oozing out of the White House everyday--it sucks that it invaded my sweet sanctuary of videah games too.

How was that guy in the wrong?

MO did the right thing. Take gender and work experience out of the equation. Would you want to keep an employee who explodes at simple criticisms and questions? Imagine if she was a waitress and acted that way to you because you asked to have your steak medium-well.

I'm glad Arenanet is upholding a certain standard in community interaction.I've been playing this game since the beta and never before have I seen such a unprofessional behaviour from a dev.For the future I'm looking forward to the usual interaction with professional individuals.

Mo

You are the best Mo!!!~ Thank you <3

@Faffin.6741 said:

@"Mike O Brien.4613" said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

Mo

Maybe this was company policy before the event, but it still looks like you're pandering to a bunch of sad puppies.

I firmly disagree. If anything allowing for her to retain employment would be pandering to the sensitive crowd who assumes that she was "an abused woman." As an adult, one must understand that there are consequences for your actions and playing the victim does not make you invincible.

@Faffin.6741 said:

Mo

Maybe this was company policy before the event, but it still looks like you're pandering to a bunch of sad puppies.

What pandering? Insulting people is ok? She INSULTED someone for NOTHING! Repeatedly! She was one one who started it to begin with.

If I did the same in my job I would be fired also.

People these days are unbelivable.

Archived