Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@shiro.2193 said:So i spent 5 days trying to get a code and now cant because im in canada but kung fu tea has a store in edmonton alberta...

Apparently there's a store in Melbourne here in Aus too. Someone has also mentioned that there are stores in 4 countries, yet they still have restricted it to US only.

Dumbest damn move I have ever seen in regards to marketing.

@Talindra.4958 said:

@doombreaker.3710 said:Well all I can say is that I'm pretty much disappointed by this promotion. It was advertised as a global promotion. Now we see that Anet only cares about their US customers. I hope they are also fine with me as a non US customer to not buy any gems anymore.

it isn't anet fault. the application was poorly made and has a lot of issues. I don't think anet has anything to do with the application. the dev of the application should just admit and apologies instead of giving excuses about being hacked or botted. they need to take responsibility for their own mistake.I don't think it is a harm if anet mail everyone in game the outfit. I think it is the outfit that existing players are after. f2p acc players can get the code if they are us residents fair enough. after all it is a promotion to put more new players into the game, it is only a base game they don't have access to expansion until they buy them.

I don't think anyone is saying it's ANET's fault in it's entirety, but some kind of explanation and apology is long overdue.. this should of been the first thing ANET did .Add to that if this was allegedly always a US only promo, why would ANET run it in their launcher globally to promo in the EU, even under translation.. someone in ANET must of noticed it was meant to be US only or did they have no one checking the finer details with these Kung Fu Teabaggers??

Either way it's a terrible way to celebrate 6yrs with your EU community, shame on you ANET.

Ok serious answer now: this is a mess and extremely disappointing for the majority of players.

At this point it seems like, broadly speaking, we've got 4 groups of players:1) Non-US residents who have been trying to get codes, were told there were problems which needed to be fixed and then found out the 'fix' is excluding them 4 days after it started.2) Non-US residents who did manage to get codes and are now concerned they've put their account/s at risk by participating in a promotion which was advertised to them by Anet.3) US residents who, unless I've missed something, are still having trouble getting the app to work and so in exactly the same position they were before the 'fix'.4) Those who have no idea this is even happening because they missed the announcements...who honestly seem to be in the best position right now.

Yes there's also people who were blatantly abusing this promotion to make dozens or hundreds of accounts and/or farming codes to sell, but I'm not counting them as players. They absolutely should have been stopped from participating, but there's a lot of ways that could have been done without simply cutting most of the world out of the promotion, which I'm not convinced will entirely stop it as I'm sure some of those people are in the USA (or can use VPNs to make it appear that they are).

I admit I don't know what the best solution would have been, but I'm absolutely sure this is not it. It's an extremely heavy handed attempt to reduce traffic to the app by arbitrarily excluding the majority of those attempting to participate - both legitimate players and botters. It might reduce traffic and make it easier for Americans to get codes, it might even limit the number of botters getting hundreds of codes and therefore accounts. It absolutely will make those codes the botters have already got far more valuable and therefore increase their profit more than they could have hoped, and create a lot of negative feelings among GW2 players.

I don't know what would put it right at this point. Actually fixing the problems and resuming the promotion under the original terms - open to all GW2 players - would be the obvious solution but may not be possible, depending on what the people who made the app are able (and willing) to do. Sending everyone who logs in during September the dragon t-shirt would be a good fix, but would pretty much kill the promotion and Anet may be under contract not to do things like that. But just leaving it like this is going to hurt the reputation of both companies involved.

@Talindra.4958 said:

@doombreaker.3710 said:Well all I can say is that I'm pretty much disappointed by this promotion. It was advertised as a global promotion. Now we see that Anet only cares about their US customers. I hope they are also fine with me as a non US customer to not buy any gems anymore.

it isn't anet fault. the application was poorly made and has a lot of issues. I don't think anet has anything to do with the application. the dev of the application should just admit and apologies instead of giving excuses about being hacked or botted. they need to take responsibility for their own mistake.I don't think it is a harm if anet mail everyone in game the outfit. I think it is the outfit that existing players are after. f2p acc players can get the code if they are us residents fair enough. after all it is a promotion to put more new players into the game, it is only a base game they don't have access to expansion until they buy them.

It most likely isn't the app developer's fault either. The app is designed to handle the usual traffic. Most likely the promotion was made without or with too short a notice to the devs. Or the number of players interested in the promotion was severely underestimated. Either way I blame KFT's marketing and management.

@Talindra.4958 said:

@Glider.5792 said:5 Codes ? Thats fine compared to my case (122 codes lmao). I contacted support about it. Hopefully ill be able to give them away.And if you're wondering how i got that many, i was trying to get my code for around 2 days. App crashed around 270 times, soo im guessing that almost half of the time in those crashes it actualy sort of went through ?Those extra codes can be given away to other ppl and actually work? or that isn't known yet?Wow you got 122 codes looool see now they gonna say you use dodgy way to get the codes or u hacked it but clearly it's the ap that has the problem.. I got only 5 codes after trying a little while only. Crashed each time I tried I gave up like after ten mins.

I didnt give up since some of guildies already managed to get them, some people even got it on their first try. Funny thing is though, after i got it, the promo seemed to have "dissapeared" ? Since some guildies later couldnt see the promo anymore, and when i checked on gfs phone it was also gone there.Seems like that was the time they removed it ? And due to that i finaly got my code(s), since all the spam from hundreds users stopped ?Glider, my husband said he saw reddit Chris mentioned they only banned the newly created acc and existing codes you are free to give it away to friends or players.check the reddit comments. I dont have a lot of time to find it for you sorry

Ye, i saw that, but ill rather be safe with it. 122 is way above everything else i saw up till now. Soo yeah, until support repplies to me ill rather stay put with those. For now i only used one to get the outfit for myself.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

It most likely isn't the app developer's fault either. The app is designed to handle the usual traffic. Most likely the promotion was made without or with too short a notice to the devs. Or the number of players interested in the promotion was severely underestimated. Either way I blame KFT's marketing and management.

If they underestimated the number of people involved that's Anet's fault too. KFT wouldn't have any way of knowing how many GW2 players there are but Anet will know exactly how many accounts have been created, and how many typically log in each month and should really have shared that information when planning the promotion.

It's possible that was forgotten along with checking that those intended to participate, those would could participate and those having it advertised to them actually lined up. It's also possible Anet did pass on that information and KFT/their app developer just assumed they could handle the traffic. We don't know. But everyone involved in the partnership should have also been involved in planning for exactly this reason - to make sure all the relevant information was available.

@Plautze.6290 Shatter what illusion of free speech.. it was merely me expressing my opinion that the post was a little over the top.. free speech works both ways.As for any posters getting moderated in this topic.. perhaps there was just cause for it. you can voice your likes and dislikes, your opinions and arguments.. just don't do it in such a way that puts you in the cross hairs I guess.But lets not go discussing moderation of specific players.. not sure ANET would take to kindly to it

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Maybe Anet could partner with Starbucks next time, so we can all get our sippy sippy on while gaming!

No thanks.. Costa Coffee and good ole cup of PG Tips is what's called for right now :)

Eww PG tips? Yorkshire or Twinings for me tah ^^

Actually.. Yorkshire is a nice tea, you convinced me.Though I am defo a coffee person, I only drink tea when visiting the parents cos I can't stand the taste of the bad coffee they buy :)

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:@Plautze.6290 Shatter what illusion of free speech.. it was merely me expressing my opinion that the post was a little over the top.. free speech works both ways.As for any posters getting moderated in this topic.. perhaps there was just cause for it. you can voice your likes and dislikes, your opinions and arguments.. just don't do it in such a way that puts you in the cross hairs I guess.But lets not go discussing moderation of specific players.. not sure ANET would take to kindly to it

You are certainly right... now what is that Yorkshire Tea everyone is talking about? =)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wow. What a fubar situation. Epic fail.

[...]*Sweepstakes and APP PROMOTION limited to US CUSTOMERS only.

I thought so from the start, because it makes zero sense to give away free stuff to people who will never be able to become your paying customers. ;)

Well, giving away free stuff (in case of the outfit: Which you can't even buy on the gemstore and thus would not generate income anyway, so why not just hand it to them?) surely wouldn't hurt as much as angering and perhaps losing lots of non-US players does.But hey, what do I know?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wow. What a fubar situation. Epic fail.

[...]*Sweepstakes and APP PROMOTION limited to US CUSTOMERS only.

I thought so from the start, because it makes zero sense to give away free stuff to people who will never be able to become your paying customers. ;)

I thought making the app promotion worldwide was a way to appease non-US players and prevent complains before they even start. I thought it was a smart move for ANet and possibly a condition for agreeing to the promotion in the first place.

Archived