Balance 02/10

breno.5423

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why everyone whines about necros, mesmers, spellbreakers, deadyeyes, holos, and whoever the fuck else, but there's like ZERO mentions of how fucking broken core hammer guard is?Like seriously:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.2) Guard is a synonym for the "best condi-cleanse in the game game".3) Extremely reliable, teleport-like gap-closers (which means you can't really dodge that reactively, unlike warrior's dash, for example).4) 20k wombo-combo, which can be executed in <0.3s immediately after gap-closer. Which is fast enough, so you can't not really dodge that with 100+ latency, unless you're lucky and did a premature dodge.

Like, seriously, guys. Please, tell me I'm not the only one, who's pissed AF about the fact, that this build exists in the game.

@Axl.8924 said:If they nerf reaper in pve i'm quitting guild wars 2.

Lets hope they don't gut any classes.Also hopeful maybe tempest will finally get buffed.If it does become a buffer i'm more certain to stay.

There is a very high possibility that reaper will be nerfed. It probably will be only PvP though. Beside that, I think holo will be slightly nerfed and herald will get a slight buff. There will be other changes, but they will be minuscule.

Sadly, I do not think the meta will change in the slightest.

@otto.5684 said:

Lets hope they don't gut any classes.Also hopeful maybe tempest will finally get buffed.If it does become a buffer i'm more certain to stay.

There is a very high possibility that reaper will be nerfed. It probably will be only PvP though. Beside that, I think holo will be slightly nerfed and herald will get a slight buff. There will be other changes, but they will be minuscule.

They will need buffed in pvp then, because in order to land a kill they need to survive enough, and they are literally sacrificing dps to be a glass cannon, so more survivability will have to be given, a lot more outside of that, like warrior levels of survivability.

Warriors can outsustain a reaper and do the same dps with more mobility, and mesmers with mirage have higher mobility and cc than us and can do dps on our level, so its going to be very bad if we get nerfed.

If reaper gets nerfed, he wil be sub par again in pvp, and unable to land a kill depending on whats nerfed.Nerdfing dps he won't have threat levels and if you nerf the quickness he will have trouble landing a hit again, so once again think things through.

@Axl.8924 said:

They will need buffed in pvp then, because in order to land a kill they need to survive enough, and they are literally sacrificing dps to be a glass cannon, so more survivability will have to be given, a lot more outside of that, like warrior levels of survivability.

Warriors can outsustain a reaper and do the same dps with more mobility, and mesmers with mirage have higher mobility and cc than us and can do dps on our level, so its going to be very bad if we get nerfed.

If reaper gets nerfed, he wil be sub par again in pvp, and unable to land a kill depending on whats nerfed.Nerdfing dps he won't have threat levels and if you nerf the quickness he will have trouble landing a hit again, so once again think things through.

Warriors can do the same dps as reaper?! Not even remotely close. You could compare reaper dps to guardian. And reaper has no issues landing damage at all. As for wither warrior can outsuatain reaper, who cares. Balance is not based on solo capacity and reaper is million times better in team fights than warrior.

@otto.5684 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

Warriors can do the same dps as reaper?! Not even remotely close. You could compare reaper dps to guardian. And reaper has no issues landing damage at all. As for wither warrior can outsuatain reaper, who cares. Balance is not based on solo capacity and reaper is million times better in team fights than warrior.

I've seen berserker do 20k easily with weapon in pvp video and more sustain so no.

Reaper is able to land kills easier now because of quickness.Reaper is slow and easy to cc, but people are bad and would rather facetank reaper than move away cc them.Also solo capacity is important in SPVP as a roamer or not, because the ability to pressure is direct contrast to damage and ability to land hits.If you can't land hits you lack pressure and get cced and die, if you can land a hit but everyone and his mother can facetank you, your pressure is laughable.Its time for people to stop making excuses and learn 2 play.

Take for instance holosmith:You shouldn't have trrouble killing a reaper if you have a brain.Do those invuln things and cc them and kite htem when in reaper, because once they are out of reaper form(remember its very short) that they are easy to kill.You can easily pressure them inside there too and force them out, so there are more than enough ways to counter, but we have no decent way to counter some of the ranged attacks, besides poison cloud which isn't very good, and we still have trouble catching mobile classes, which is 90% of the classes.

You can't just look at one tool and say:Ok lets nerf that one tool but not compensate elsewhere, because you break the game.If a reaper is sacrificing survivaiblity to be a glass cannon, and you nerf the cannon part, what does he have left? not much of anything.Its also a huge problem of power creep.

Like others said:Reaper is a good noobkiller, but if faced vs really good players, they will rolfstomp you because they won't try to facetank you.

i do cc them i mean i am so suprice that nearly all reaper i had meet in pvp as mesmer for(last few days at least) dont press 3 in shroud i am relly confuse why they not prees 3as for balace i dont mind it being in middle of season i am gold 1 silver3 player sooo .. it mean little to me i have allways been silver3 and gold 1 so i dot mind it just mean i can try some new build :)

Its possible they might realize that whatever class you have you got more cc and range and they were merely trrying to escape, or maybe the reapers you fought with are bad.

A lot of players who play a class could be bad at it and not get too far(ie spamming a ability) or they could have seen others coming and being focused on.Its hard to know without a video s howing what they did.

The thing is:reaper a while back before the pve changes had long duration reaper shrouds, which acted as a second bar to survive, and over time it got nerfed in duration and given dmg increases to compensate.With latest changes, we sacrifice most of our shroud to have better damage, but it means we are a lot squisher than we used to be and more subceptible to ccs.We are good at ccing with chills and stuff(as it should be at close range, to help us land a kill)

My problem is:it seems like a lot of people who comment on reaper seem to either not know how reaper works, or they don't care.

Say for instance:What if firebrands on top of the nerfs to their sustain got huge nerf to their ability to buff and got it gutted.They would probably be very angry and up in arms with pitchforks and torches.

Reapers have obvious weaknesses:

Vulnerable to kiteVulnerable to cc.Bad vs high range classes like rangersSquishy as heck outside reaper(no invulns and stuff like that) and our stability has a fairly long cd, and limited source.Might and quickness are corruptible, and can be stolen/ripped.Doing so would make them more vulnerable.Its fairly easy to know too since outside shroud it only lasts 3 seconds, and if you rip it, you gain it.

Use these against the reaper, and he stands no chance against you.

Also:i heard that reaper is countered as well by scourge.It kinda makes sense as well, because scourge has more range/sustain and more access to corruption well bombs.

Thieves with S/D can cripple and immob fairly easily, in fact:With the teleport, you got access to a immob.

As for what reaper counters:I heard they counter guardians, but i'm not sure.I think it has to do with the fact reapers got good access to boon rip with chills, and guardians do spam a lot of boons.I also heard guardians have less mobility than other classes.I won't say this is true, but one of you who plays guardian please confirm this or deny.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

I've seen berserker do 20k easily with weapon in pvp video and more sustain so no.

(...)

I'd actually love to see that video just to make fun of it. I very much doubt it makes any sense and shows proper gameplay (on both sides).

Reaper has a lot more teamfight capability than warrior. Not saying warrior is bad in them, but reapers AoE burst is way better. On the other hand, indeed, warrior has a lot more sustain (usually) and is the better sidenoder. Depends a bit on the builds of course.

On the other hand I do not think reaper needs a nerf actually. It has significant downsides and can be countered. We will see.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

(...)

I'd actually love to see that video just to make fun of it. I very much doubt it makes any sense and shows proper gameplay (on both sides).

Reaper has a lot more teamfight capability than warrior. Not saying warrior is bad in them, but reapers AoE burst is way better. On the other hand, indeed, warrior has a lot more sustain (usually) and is the better sidenoder. Depends a bit on the builds of course.

On the other hand I do not think reaper needs a nerf actually. It has significant downsides and can be countered. We will see.

I think the warrior was using a 1h sword, but i could be wrong.I know he got defeated in WVW by a rifle warrior who outmaneuvered him.I saw a video here watched a bit of it, and i saw the warrior getting some pretty high numbers.He could easily get to 16k dmg with one of those string of attacks, and easily up to 24k.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

(...)

I think the warrior was using a 1h sword, but i could be wrong.I know he got defeated in WVW by a rifle warrior who outmaneuvered him.I saw a video here watched a bit of it, and i saw the warrior getting some pretty high numbers.He could easily get to 16k dmg with one of those string of attacks, and easily up to 24k.

1h sword can do some burst, but never near as much sustained AoE DPS as a reaper. Reaper is the superior team fighter. Are you seriously thinking that a warrior can have as much teamfight on-point capabilities as reaper - whereas warrior usually has much more sustain, mobility and stuff - or do you just have slightly different opinions about balance?

Again, I do not think reaper should be nerfed. Or at least not significantly.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

(...)

1h sword can do some burst, but never near as much sustained AoE DPS as a reaper. Reaper is the superior team fighter. Are you seriously thinking that a warrior can have as much teamfight on-point capabilities as reaper - whereas warrior usually has much more sustain, mobility and stuff - or do you just have slightly different opinions about balance?

Again, I do not think reaper should be nerfed. Or at least not significantly.

Balance wise:I'm not asking warrior to be nerfed, i'm just saying that I don't think reaper which actually is more of a roamer than say scourge is, which hide behind and blasts everyone should be nerfed.

Yes reaper does have to be defended because its still very vulnerable, but i doubt there will be significant changes due to the fact its a glass cannon that needs to be protected by classes with far more ability of sustain and cc protection than it can provide.Reaper is also far more of a selfish class too than others, so even though we can do minute things of support such as condi corrupt, its still not as strong support in that as say:scourge.

I think also necromancers outside reaper could be buffed a little bit in sustain like given a invuln or something to stay alive slightly longer, since they get focused more often, and now that they are dangerous, very easy to cc them and kill them.

I'm really excited for all the snark that will follow about how, despite saying what the patch is mainly focused around , X/y/z that wasn't on the list didn't get changed so the patch is trash though the likelihood is it will be pretty useful. Most weapon traits are extremely lack luster or incredibly geared towards one thing. I'm interested to see what they are going to do to make them "broadly more usable".

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:I'm really excited for all the snark that will follow about how, despite saying what the patch is mainly focused around , X/y/z that wasn't on the list didn't get changed so the patch is trash though the likelihood is it will be pretty useful. Most weapon traits are extremely lack luster or incredibly geared towards one thing. I'm interested to see what they are going to do to make them "broadly more usable".

I heard that staff is still go to thing for tempest eles.I don't know if this is still true, but if it is, will there be any changes to scepter?

Some improvements here and there for elementalist could be beneficial for sure.

@"Tiah.3091" said:Why everyone whines about necros, mesmers, spellbreakers, deadyeyes, holos, and whoever the kitten else, but there's like ZERO mentions of how kitten broken core hammer guard is?Like seriously:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.2) Guard is a synonym for the "best condi-cleanse in the game game".3) Extremely reliable, teleport-like gap-closers (which means you can't really dodge that reactively, unlike warrior's dash, for example).4) 20k wombo-combo, which can be executed in <0.3s immediately after gap-closer. Which is fast enough, so you can't not really dodge that with 100+ latency, unless you're lucky and did a premature dodge.

Like, seriously, guys. Please, tell me I'm not the only one, who's pissed AF about the fact, that this build exists in the game.

Engineer, ranger, mesmer, warrior, revenant. These classes all have higher uptime on block than core guardian. All of them (except engineer) also has evade frames tied to weapon skills.

The wombo combo also has a 4 second wind-up time.

Guardian is the least annoying build in the game. In fact, the worst thing about seeing a core guardian is knowing that it could've (should've) been a Firebrand. It's the closest thing in balance to Weaver right now. If anything, all classes need to get nerfed to death until they play about as effectively as Weaver, the ideal for balance. Anet needs to bring out the nerfbat and not stop swinging until Engi, Reaper, Mirage, Soulbeast, SpB, and Deadeye are all at that level of uselessness. The game mode might actually be fun to play again.

Guardian should be in the upper realms of OP for a game like this, but it's barely scratching the floor in comparison to powercreep of everything else.

@NaturallyNick.4058 said:Guardian is the least annoying build in the game. In fact, the worst thing about seeing a core guardian is knowing that it could've (should've) been a Firebrand. It's the closest thing in balance to Weaver right now. If anything, all classes need to get nerfed to death until they play about as effectively as Weaver, the ideal for balance. Anet needs to bring out the nerfbat and not stop swinging until Engi, Reaper, Mirage, Soulbeast, SpB, and Deadeye are all at that level of uselessness. The game mode might actually be fun to play again.

Guardian should be in the upper realms of OP for a game like this, but it's barely scratching the floor in comparison to powercreep of everything else.

Core guard is dead easy to play compared to most meta builds, when played well meta build can counter core guard and that's the only reason it's not meta but under no circumstance should core guard be regarded as balanced.

It's stupidly easy to play with ridiculous amounts of dmg and well off sustain so pls let's be honest...

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@NaturallyNick.4058 said:Guardian is the least annoying build in the game. In fact, the worst thing about seeing a core guardian is knowing that it could've (should've) been a Firebrand. It's the closest thing in balance to Weaver right now. If anything, all classes need to get nerfed to death until they play about as effectively as Weaver, the ideal for balance. Anet needs to bring out the nerfbat and not stop swinging until Engi, Reaper, Mirage, Soulbeast, SpB, and Deadeye are all at that level of uselessness. The game mode might actually be fun to play again.

Core guard is dead easy to play compared to most meta builds, when played well meta build can counter core guard and that's the only reason it's not meta but under no circumstance should core guard be regarded as balanced.

It's stupidly easy to play with ridiculous amounts of dmg and well off sustain so pls let's be honest...

Is this why there is currently an army of terrible core guardians? Cuz everyone thinks they can go around spam bottoms and get results. No wonder half the sPvP population sucks.

And seriously I can say this about most of the builds. Only theif, Mesmer, weaver and rev builds are a bit more complex.

@"Tiah.3091" said:Why everyone whines about necros, mesmers, spellbreakers, deadyeyes, holos, and whoever the kitten else, but there's like ZERO mentions of how kitten broken core hammer guard is?Like seriously:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.2) Guard is a synonym for the "best condi-cleanse in the game game".3) Extremely reliable, teleport-like gap-closers (which means you can't really dodge that reactively, unlike warrior's dash, for example).4) 20k wombo-combo, which can be executed in <0.3s immediately after gap-closer. Which is fast enough, so you can't not really dodge that with 100+ latency, unless you're lucky and did a premature dodge.

People keeping say this, but clearly have never played a guardian. Exactly what are the "craploads of blocks" that core guardian has? Running with a hammer and then either sword/shield or sword/focus, you have:

A single stack of aegis on a 38 second cooldown from F3A single stack of aegis when struck below 50% health, on a 30 second cooldownA single stack of aegis when disabled, on a 30 second cooldownand then EITHER Focus 5 blocks 3 skills, on a 35 second cooldown OR Shield 4 gives 1 stack of aegis on a 20 second cooldown.(Before you say Shelter, most core guards run Litany not Shelter)

Rev(Staff), Warrior, Engi, Ranger(GS) and Chrono, all have far better blocks than core-guard. And that's not even counting all the other defences they can cycle which guardian doesn't have.

Remember, that a single aegis is totally, totally different to a channeled block like warriors shield, which can block infinite attacks for the duration. In most situations a single aegis is completely meaningless and will get absorbed by pet/clone auto-spam, it really only has value against single-attack big-hitters like warrior.

So yeah..... "craploads of blocks".....

Back to topic, balance isn't actually too bad at the moment. Obviously isn't perfect, but nothing stands out to me as way more powerful than the rest. All classes have at least 1 viable specialisation..... except Ele. That's all that is really in need of fixing.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@"Tiah.3091" said:Why everyone whines about necros, mesmers, spellbreakers, deadyeyes, holos, and whoever the kitten else, but there's like ZERO mentions of
how kitten broken core hammer guard is
?Like seriously:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.2) Guard is a synonym for the "best condi-cleanse in the game game".3) Extremely reliable, teleport-like gap-closers (which means you can't really dodge that reactively, unlike warrior's dash, for example).4) 20k wombo-combo, which can be executed in <0.3s immediately after gap-closer. Which is fast enough, so you can't not really dodge that with 100+ latency, unless you're lucky and did a premature dodge.

People keeping say this, but clearly have never played a guardian. Exactly what are the "craploads of blocks" that core guardian has? Running with a hammer and then either sword/shield or sword/focus, you have:

A single stack of aegis on a 38 second cooldown from F3A single stack of aegis when struck below 50% health, on a 30 second cooldownA single stack of aegis when disabled, on a 30 second cooldownand then EITHER Focus 5 blocks 3 skills, on a 35 second cooldown OR Shield 4 gives 1 stack of aegis on a 20 second cooldown.(Before you say Shelter, most core guards run Litany not Shelter)

Rev(Staff), Warrior, Engi, Ranger(GS) and Chrono, all have far better blocks than core-guard. And that's not even counting all the other defences they can cycle which guardian doesn't have.

Remember, that a single aegis is totally, totally different to a channeled block like warriors shield, which can block infinite attacks for the duration. In most situations a single aegis is completely meaningless and will get absorbed by pet/clone auto-spam, it really only has value against single-attack big-hitters like warrior.

Back to topic, balance isn't actually too bad at the moment. Obviously isn't perfect, but nothing stands out to me as way more powerful than the rest. All classes have at least 1 viable specialisation..... except Ele. That's all that is really in need of fixing.

All of those cooldowns recharge far faster than the general cycle of a fight. The only purpose of all of those instant/passive blocks combined with an instant teleport and near-instant burst rotation is to cover a player's single second of action which will either net a kill or not. Whether or not the core guard nets a kill or not is irrelevant because that's how the build works: it's a suicide bomber. It will either get the easiest kill in the game for maximum low effort or it will die like a dog because somebody played (or built) a little more passively than the guard. They're all really silly. Even if there are builds who are "worse" in whatever regard, it doesn't mean that core guard isn't a low effort meme.

@Swagg.9236 said:

@"Tiah.3091" said:Why everyone whines about necros, mesmers, spellbreakers, deadyeyes, holos, and whoever the kitten else, but there's like ZERO mentions of
how kitten broken core hammer guard is
?Like seriously:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.2) Guard is a synonym for the "best condi-cleanse in the game game".3) Extremely reliable, teleport-like gap-closers (which means you can't really dodge that reactively, unlike warrior's dash, for example).4) 20k wombo-combo, which can be executed in <0.3s immediately after gap-closer. Which is fast enough, so you can't not really dodge that with 100+ latency, unless you're lucky and did a premature dodge.

All of those cooldowns recharge far faster than the general cycle of a fight. The only purpose of all of those instant/passive blocks combined with an instant teleport and near-instant burst rotation is to cover a player's single second of action which will either net a kill or not. Whether or not the core guard nets a kill or not is irrelevant because that's how the build works: it's a suicide bomber. It will either get the easiest kill in the game for maximum low effort or it will die like a dog because somebody played (or built) a little more passively than the guard. They're all really silly. Even if there are builds who are "worse" in whatever regard, it doesn't mean that core guard isn't a low effort meme.

what exactly is the build? hammer 5 into judges intervention followed by..? If there's one particular setup that is annoying I agree it should be eliminated but to my understanding hammer core guard is largely okay.

@Swagg.9236 said:

@"Tiah.3091" said:1) With valkyria's amulet and craploads of blocks and immunity they are quite resistable to direct damage.

So, you're saying that core-guard is over-reliant on using up-front damage to secure a kill in the opening seconds of a fight, and doesn't have the sustain to win a prolonged engagement.

So.... thank you for agreeing with my assessment of the original post, which claimed it was "quite resistable [sic] to direct damage"?

Archived